Jets trade for Ryan Fitzpatrick (All things Fitzpatrick in here)

Morrissey

Only Decker?  No Amaro, Kerley or Harvin?

Consistently? Yea only Decker. Amaro was inconsistent, Harvin was hurt and when healthy was inconsistent, Kerley disappeared last year. Yup only Decker, and let's not act like any of these guys=some of the guys Fitz has played with.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what a nightmare.. looking like a great defense and we're going to waste it with crusher dung at qb

How is our situation any different with this bit of news than it was yesterday?  Brees isn't available.  What magic QB did you think we'd be getting to save us?

That would be a pretty good day at the office for Maccagnan. 

As mediocre as Fitzpatrick is, to upgrade at QB and bring in a top-flight receiver by essentially trading one mid-level draft pick, that's pretty good.

There were games last year where he looked better than mediocre, but in general, yeah he's an average journeyman.

Consistently? Yea only Decker. Amaro was inconsistent, Harvin was hurt and when healthy was inconsistent, Kerley disappeared last year. Yup only Decker, and let's not act like any of these guys=some of the guys Fitz has played with.

Harvin was inconsistent because Geno couldn't hit him.  Take a look at home games vs. NE and Mia.  Two games lost by less than a TD and in both games Geno missed a WIDE OPEN Harvin deep down the field on would-be touchdowns. 

The unfortunate thing is that just about every jag, lousy vet QB that we have talked about on these forums is better than Geno Smith.  We need a QB no matter what unless you are happy with Geno Smith, Matt Simms and some draft pick.  with the additions this team can be competitive or more if we just get a QB that screws up less.  I'd sick to death of turnover machines.

Seriously.  We were always going to bring in a veteran QB of some sort to add to the mix.  Why is this such a big deal to so many people?  We've been begging for a veteran QB rather than hoping our young trash QB's develop under the 15th new offensive coordinator.  Now that we might get one, people are going to complain he isn't Aaron Rodgers? 

We added Harvin too and it did nothing for him.  He lost his job to f*ckin' Michael Vick.  If he didn't have such a bad attitude I'd be a lot more willing to give him another shot.  Now that we have a new front office and coaching staff?  Nah.  No reason to.  He WILL NOT IMPROVE.  Fact.  He's dead weight.  Move on.

Mike Vick didn't outplay him, Geno had a bad game and Rex pulled him. Harvin was hurt and when on the field he was inconsistent, plus Geno was pulled for Harvin's first 2 games. How has he had such a bad attitude? You don't know if he will improve or not, no one can say. The potential is there for him to improve unlike Fitzpatrick who has hit his ceiling as a football player.

Yeah, I posted it yesterday. It was lost in the hysteria that all those 4PM trades caused.

We got Marshall and a 7th this year, for our 5ht this year.

Oh. Then it's like we got both Marshall and Fitzgerald for a 5th rounder! You didn't think of that now, did you?

Apology accepted.

Seriously.  We were always going to bring in a veteran QB of some sort to add to the mix.  Why is this such a big deal to so many people?  We've been begging for a veteran QB rather than hoping our young trash QB's develop under the 15th new offensive coordinator.  Now that we might get one, people are going to complain he isn't Aaron Rodgers? 

Truth

Mike Vick didn't outplay him, Geno had a bad game and Rex pulled him. Harvin was hurt and when on the field he was inconsistent, plus Geno was pulled for Harvin's first 2 games. How has he had such a bad attitude? You don't know if he will improve or not, no one can say. The potential is there for him to improve unlike Fitzpatrick who has hit his ceiling as a football player.

You know a QB is terrible if Rex Ryan finally pulls you.  It took Rex 4 years to finally bench Mark Sanchez, and even then he wanted him to Week 1 in Year 5.

There's no potential for him to improve.  We added more weapons and he got worse.  The only thing you can say about him is he's young.  Young and terrible.  That doesn't = potential.

Oh. Then it's like we got both Marshall and Fitzgerald for a 5th rounder! You didn't think of that now, did you?

Apology accepted.

lol, I cannot wait for Fitzgerald's beard to dominate.

I saw a graphic flashed on the screen last night when NFLN was talking about red zone scoring in context to Jimmy Graham over the past couple of years. It had like 8 dominant guys on the list, 2 of them were Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker.

Fitz has physical limitations, but with enough weapons and the right system, we can milk him for every bit of goodness he can contribute. It's not like he'd be the be-all-end-all QB solution either. I'd fully expect us to draft one in mid-rounds this year.

Maybe Petty? Or Hundley? Dunno.

The best move we can make since we're trying to be competitive. He'd give us a very good chance at the playoffs. Which I'm happy enough with after the recent garbage we've been forced to endure.

He's a solid NFL QB which is all you can ask for. I'd take him over Foles or Bradford. You'll find the good NFL QB's generally stay put.

I'd look forward to seeing an offence with him at QB.

He throws more TDs than interceptions, he is articulate (he actually speaks English), the guys in the huddle are actually going to respect him, he is not getting kicked off any flights, nor will he texting dick shots.  I don't see any negative here. 

lol, I cannot wait for Fitzgerald's beard to dominate.

I saw a graphic flashed on the screen last night when NFLN was talking about red zone scoring in context to Jimmy Graham over the past couple of years. It had like 8 dominant guys on the list, 2 of them were Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker.

Fitz has physical limitations, but with enough weapons and the right system, we can milk him for every bit of goodness he can contribute. It's not like he'd be the be-all-end-all QB solution either. I'd fully expect us to draft one in mid-rounds this year.

Maybe Petty? Or Hundley? Dunno.

Agree I think he's a stopgap and we're taking a QB (just not at #6). Not familiar enough with these prospects to make a judgment on where they're likely to get drafted (or if they aren't total train wrecks in the making at any draft slot).

Better than having another rookie compete with just Geno Smith, like Smith did with Sanchez or Sanchez with Clemens.

If an agreement is in place "for a late round pick" it HAS to be a 7th rounder.

We don't have a 5th (Marshall) or a 6th (Harvin), and a 4th is considered a "mid-round" pick.

We do have TWO 7th's though.

Could be a 5th or 6th in 2016.

We'll find out soon enough. I don't think Houston is going to play hardball with a friend in Maccagnan. Not over a player they're releasing anyway and there isn't exactly a world of competition fighting over him.

If an agreement is in place "for a late round pick" it HAS to be a 7th rounder.

We don't have a 5th (Marshall) or a 6th (Harvin), and a 4th is considered a "mid-round" pick.

We do have TWO 7th's though.

Possible it will be next years 6th.  I really don't care.  6th and 7th round picks are used perfectly for these scenarios.  You rarely will ever have a roster player in the 7th.

He had "a bad game"?  As in one bad game?  Because once the Jets hit halftime in week 2, it was all downhill for Geno.

vs Chi- 1 TD 2 INT's including a pick six on a screen pass to start the game

vs Det- Completed 51 pct of his passes for 1 TD and 1 INT

vs SD- went 4-12 for 27 yards after skipping a team meeting in 31-0 blowout loss

vs Den- Completed 53% of his passes and threw a pick-6 late in 4th quarter with a chance to tie the game

vs. NE- Kinda resembled an NFL QB that day but Jets ran the ball 36 times to avoid Genovers and he missed a wide open Amaro on potential game tying 2 pt conversion, but again..resembled an NFL QB.

vs. Buff- 2-8 for 5 yds and 3 interceptions...that was his "bad game"?

Ugh...reviewing game logs from this past season and looking at Geno's  numbers was almost enough to make me forget all the good that happened yesterday.

He had "a bad game"?  As in one bad game?  Because once the Jets hit halftime in week 2, it was all downhill for Geno.

vs SD- went 4-12 for 27 yards after skipping a team meeting in 31-0 blowout loss

vs Den- Completed 53% of his passes and threw a pick-6 late in 4th quarter with a chance to tie the game

vs. NE- Kinda resembled an NFL QB that day but Jets ran the ball 36 times to avoid Genovers and he missed a wide open Amaro on potential game tying 2 pt conversion, but again..resembled an NFL QB.

Ugh...reviewing game logs from this past season and looking at Geno's  numbers was almost enough to make me forget all the good that happened yesterday.

Seriously.  And yet this guys is going to "show improvement".  lol.  You know who actually has actually shown tangible improvement the last few years?  Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

As I posted in the Twitter Updates thread, Fitzpatrick, since 2010 (first year with Chan Gailey...played with him as HC through 2012):

2010:  27th DVOA

2011:  26th

2012:  23rd

2013:  20th

2014:  13th

How is our situation any different with this bit of news than it was yesterday?  Brees isn't available.  What magic QB did you think we'd be getting to save us?

Difference is we got older Revis, Cro, Marshall in moves that look like win now type arrangements

You know everybody was saying that Hoyer would have been better but Fitz has gotten to be a better QB as he's matured-he had a 95 QBR last season like 20 pts higher than Hoyer. All I know is he is a better quarterback than Geno Smith who is way too inconsistent for us. One game he can get a perfect passing rating and the next week zero out-I have never seen a QB be able to do that in the space of a month or so. If we can't get Breeze and Foles is already a moot point then get me this guy, he's smart and tough and can throw the ball pretty well. ABGS=Anybody BUT Geno Smith 

Fitzpatrick's history has been to get his team a lead early then throw interceptions late to drag them to defeat. I never feared him with ANY team he played for because of that fact. Maccagnan probably values him more than most because he was in Houston for several years, but Fitz is Sanchez-lite. You are what you are and Fitzpatrick is a turnover prone QB.

C'mon be  fair.  Those SD numbers are skewed.  IIRC, they pulled him at the half.  Vick looked completely unprepared which may have been part of the reason Geno got such a long leash.

Geno ain't the savior dude. I know Fitz isn't either, but he's better than Geno. Also, I'll be pissed if we go into another camp with no real competition at the QB position. That's just wrong.

C'mon be  fair.  Those SD numbers are skewed.  IIRC, they pulled him at the half.  Vick looked completely unprepared which may have been part of the reason Geno got such a long leash.

True...if they'd let him play the whole game he may have been able to bring his passing yards down a little bit.

Difference is we got older Revis, Cro, Marshall in moves that look like win now type arrangements

You act like these guys are ancient mariners. They are right in their primes as far as I am concerned and will do nothing but improve the lot of the Jets. If the Jets get a legitimate QB look the f-out. I don't see them drafting Mariota with the sixth pick. I think they will get what Rex Ryan yearned for but never got - a great pass rusher. Jets with Cro and Revis at CB and the front seven they have will make them a top-five defense. Maybe number one.

Archived