Jets trade for Ryan Fitzpatrick (All things Fitzpatrick in here)

Morrissey

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Solid hold the fort guy till Jets draft a Franchise QB at some point. Who knows, if they can keep him healthy he may do pretty good with these weapons.

Fitzy is definitely the biggest winner in all of this.  Had he been cut no one would have paid him $3.3M this year I don't think.  And he gets to come to a system he's been a part of before and throw to Marshall, Decker, Amaro, Kerley and who knows who else we add.

Can't wait to hear all the whining now!  C'mon people, be happy about this.  Geno's time is done!!

Geno is starting. 

I'm happy about this because we now have a viable back up who cannot only help mentor Geno but actually play if necessary.  Remember, our new QB coach has no experience coaching QB's from what I recall.  We need a guy like this on our team.  Gailey can only spend so much time with Geno.

PFF had him ranked as the 12th best QB in the league last season with a positive 8.8 ranking.

For some perspective Geno had a -19.8 ranking,, Hoyer -18.8 and Foles -7.4. I don't consider their stats gospel or anything but it's a pretty encouraging sign.

He might not be the long term franchise QB but we've upgraded hugely here. Amazed people can't see it.

Geno is starting. 

I'm happy about this because we now have a viable back up who cannot only help mentor Geno but actually play if necessary.  Remember, our new QB coach has no experience coaching QB's from what I recall.  We need a guy like this on our team.  Gailey can only spend so much time with Geno.

Ha... Geno is NOT starting.  He will be lucky to still be on the team.  The only reason to keep him is that he is cheap.

The Ryan Fitzpatrick-to-the-Jets move could be a trade

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 11, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT

When the seemingly inevitable Brian Hoyer signing comes through for the Texans, they’re going to have too many quarterbacks again.

And it appears they have a plan to get something for one of the spares.

According to Albert Breer and Kim Jones of the NFL Network, once Hoyer signs with the Texans they’re expected to trade Ryan Fitzpatrick to the Jets quickly.

The groundwork for this deal seems to have been in place for some time, and makes sense for both sides.

The Texans will have Hoyer and Ryan Mallett and Tom Savage, and the Jets need someone to serve as mentor/insurance policy for Geno Smith. Fitzpatrick spent a year with Chan Gailey in Buffalo, so he’ll know what’s happening in New York.

Of course, the Jets could probably wait the Texans out to cut Fitzpatrick, but the possibility that someone else might want him means it’s probably worth giving up a seventh-rounder or some such to secure his $3.25 million contract for next year. Either that, or Jets General Manager Mike Maccagnan is just doing his old boss a favor by throwing a pick their way.

Mentor/insurance my ass. If Fitzpatrick isn't the opening day starter I'm breaking out the torches and pitch forks. This team cannot go into another season with that train wreck as the starting quarterback.

Pac, you're dead wrong.

This front office/HC/OC has zero ties to Geno Smith.  They have zero incentive to start him.  Meanwhile, we just added Brandon Marshall and Darrelle Revis.  We're not looking for a QB to "develop" right now.  We're looking for a guy that's good to go.

Fitzpatrick has ties to both the GM and OC.  He's the guy to run Chan Gailey's system.  He's the Week 1 starter.  Period.

I think they are looking at Hundley in rd 2.

Is that where he's projected?  Too high for my taste.  Love him in the 3rd though.  Fitz, Geno, Hundley. I could live with it for a year.  Though I'd still rather just roll with Geno and win 4 games for draft position purposes than win 7 with that stiff Fitz and be in no man's land next year.

Whatevs.

Ha... Geno is NOT starting.  He will be lucky to still be on the team.  The only reason to keep him is that he is cheap.

Don't you think if Macc and Co were ready to move on from Geno they'd have made more of a splash than Ryan Fitzpatrick? 

I'm telling you...  Geno will be in the shotgun more often and may actually have some open targets this year.  Unless he implodes in the pre season he's starting.  Take it to the bank.

BUT..  the leash will be short.  I'd imagine he'll have 3 games and if he looks like crap he's outta there.

PFF had him ranked as the 12th best QB in the league last season with a positive 8.8 ranking.

For some perspective Geno had a -19.8 ranking,, Hoyer -18.8 and Foles -7.4. I don't consider their stats gospel or anything but it's a pretty encouraging sign.

He might not be the long term franchise QB but we've upgraded hugely here. Amazed people can't see it.

I say all the time that PFF is just a guide, but I was pretty encouraged by their data when I watched a couple of Cleveland games to keep an eye on Skrine.  Against Atlanta he played a very good game and PFF had him with a positive coverage rating.  Against Tenn he was atrocious and PFF rated it as one of his worst games of the year.  Apparently they're not just providing random data based on nothing as so many like to claim.  Not to say  they're 100% on the money, but they are an excellent resource to give you an idea as to how well a player performs.

Agree I think he's a stopgap and we're taking a QB (just not at #6). Not familiar enough with these prospects to make a judgment on where they're likely to get drafted (or if they aren't total train wrecks in the making at any draft slot).

Better than having another rookie compete with just Geno Smith, like Smith did with Sanchez or Sanchez with Clemens.

Smart move.  now we can draft and groom a QB.  Rather than throw him to the dogs like the last couple. 

Is that where he's projected?  Too high for my taste.  Love him in the 3rd though.  Fitz, Geno, Hundley. I could live with it for a year.  Though I'd still rather just roll with Geno and win 4 games for draft position purposes than win 7 with that stiff Fitz and be in no man's land next year.

Whatevs.

New regime with some new players need to start winning as soon as possible. Period.

Pac, you're dead wrong.

This front office/HC/OC has zero ties to Geno Smith.  They have zero incentive to start him.  Meanwhile, we just added Brandon Marshall and Darrelle Revis.  We're not looking for a QB to "develop" right now.  We're looking for a guy that's good to go.

Fitzpatrick has ties to both the GM and OC.  He's the guy to run Chan Gailey's system.  He's the Week 1 starter.  Period.

I hereby challenge you to a sig bet.  You pompous ass.

Don't you think if Macc and Co were ready to move on from Geno they'd have made more of a splash than Ryan Fitzpatrick?

What splash was there to be had?  Giving up high pick(s) this year to acquire Nick Foles?  C'mon.

Fitz is not splashy but it was a highly logical move.  Get a guy who can play for you right away without even having to learn a system he's unfamiliar with.  Smart decision for a team with a brand new GM, HC and OC.  They needed to stabilize the QB position and this was the easiest and quickest way to do so without having to give up tons of picks.

interesting take from PFF

At this point, an average offense would be a huge improvement. 

During those three years (which spanned 2010 to 2012), Fitzpatrick handled 1,678 (or 94 percent) of the Bills’ 1,789 dropbacks. He averaged 3,408 passing yards and 228 rushing yards per season and put up a 71:54 TD:INT mark. Those numbers aren’t particularly impressive, but they were enough to allow Fitzpatrick strong QB2 production. He was fantasy’s No. 17 scoring quarterback in 2010 (in 13 games), 12th in 2011, and 17thin 2012.

Neither Fitzpatrick or Gailey have had a history of big-time production – the Bills scored exactly 24 passing touchdowns each of Gailey’s three seasons – but this is an offensive that should be right around league average. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/03/11/jets-acquire-ryan-fitzpatrick/

I'm telling you...  Geno will be in the shotgun more often and may actually have some open targets this year.  Unless he implodes in the pre season he's starting.  Take it to the bank.

BUT..  the leash will be short.  I'd imagine he'll have 3 games and if he looks like crap he's outta there.

More of a splash?  Who?  Only 2nd tier QBs are avaialbe in FA.  There is no savior.

However, Fitz was with Chainey in Buff, during Fitz's most productive years.  Why would the new regime tie themseld to the guy who got their predecessors fired?  Answer... They wouldn't.

Geno has taken his last snap as a starter for the NYJ.

Pac, you're dead wrong.

Yeah Fitzpatrick > Geno. So there's that. 

Archived