***Jets sign Cromartie***

Sperm Edwards

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that didn’t take long.

In a much anticipated move, the New York Jets agreed to terms with free agent cornerback Antonio Cromartie less than 24 hours after officially re-signing former Jet Darrelle Revis.  The move reunites a tandem that was considered to be among the best in the NFL when the Jets were knocking on the door of a super bowl appearance in 2010.  Cromartie’s tenure with the Jets ran from 2010-2013 when he departed less than a year ago.  Exact figures on the deal were not immediately available.

Likely scared off by Cromartie’s poor showing in 2013 due to a nagging hip injury, former Jets general manager John Idzik opted to let him walk following the Jets’ 8-8 season in 2013, but failed to find an adequate replacement as Cromartie went to the Arizona Cardinals one season after Idzik dealt Revis to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

As a member of the Cardinals, Cromartie appeared to be fully recovered and played at a  high level for one of the top defenses in the NFL under current Jets head coach Todd Bowles who served as the Cardinals defensive coordinator.  As part of Bowles’ defensive backfield, the Cardinals ranked 29th in the NFL in passing yards allowed, but more important was their 22 touchdowns surrendered through the air, tying them for sixth in the NFL with four other teams.  By comparison, the Jets allowed 31 scores through the air despite finishing 14th in yards allowed via the pass.

The return of the speedy 6′ 2” Florida State product is bound to bring smiles to the faces of Jets fans everywhere.  After suffering through a 4-12 season in which the Jets utilized safety Antonio Allen and a parade of others at the position, Cromartie and Revis aim to re-establish themselves as an elite tandem for a Jets defense that ranked 24th in the NFL in points allowed.

Even after leaving the Jets, Cromartie and  his family kept their home in New Jersey and he made no attempt to hide his desire to return to New York.  At one point, teammate Patrick Peterson spoke publicly about Cromartie regularly discussing New York as he awaited the start of free agency.

At 31 years old, Cromartie is a short-term fix, but GM Mike Maccagnan is hoping to have a surplus at the position in the event former first round pick Dee Milliner and last season’s third round pick Dexter McDougle are able to bounce back and contribute sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, the two familiar faces patrolling the Jets secondary are one huge step toward making the Jets legitimate contenders following a four year playoff drought.

Revis, Cro, Skrine, Milliner, McDougal and a couple of those kids that looked good in flashes last year. Wow. I'm wondering now if we can trade a couple of depth corners for 3rd day picks for Mac to play with on draft day.

Seriously though, when a guy with Milliner's skillset is your 4th best corner on paper, that's a good place to be. Hopefully he rehabs and can be eased in and plays some meaningful football for us, as is the case for McDougal.

Revis, Cro, Skrine, Milliner, McDougal and a couple of those kids that looked good in flashes last year. Wow. I'm wondering now if we can trade a couple of depth corners for 3rd day picks for Mac to play with on draft day.

Seriously though, when a guy with Milliner's skillset is your 4th best corner on paper, that's a good place to be. Hopefully he rehabs and can be eased in and plays some meaningful football for us, as is the case for McDougal.

Who's Mcdougal

If I understand the big picture strategy employed by the new regime, it is: Spend the available cap money now on short term deals for older players in order to field a competitive team while not burdening the franchise with potentially crippling contracts. In that light I am in favor of all these deals, the bulk of which carry commitments of three years or less. My hope (and prayer) is that while these contracts age out the Jets will replace these guys with young talented players who will fill in and continue what promises to be a golden age of winning seasons for the Jets.

The notable exceptions are: Skrine and Carpenter, both whom are young and in possession of physical gifts that this regime has identifies as being worth longer term commitments.

Good stuff, I think. In retrospect it makes Idzik's strategy appear to be that much more foolish.

This is nuts- lol, I'm happy That our secondary is now a strength again. But do not think Cro was that good the last year he played for us but he knows the coaches system plus we still have Millner and McDougall for competition- we are stacked CB!

Cro played injured in 2013. He was pretty solid last year n I expect him to be decent this year. Won't be a superstar though.

Archived