Mariota vs. Kaepernick

JetBlue

I know a lot of people are down on Kaep but if that is the case, why would you want Mariota when most likely he will be a slightly less athletic version of Kaep with a weaker arm?  I realize that from a mental standpoint and as a person he may be better, but say what you want about Kaep but he has played some big games against the likes of Rogers, Brees etc and has played extremely well.  I think his problem is his early success went to his head and he probably didn't work as hard on the mental part of the game as he should have. 

All reports are that Mariota is a hard worker and very bright so I don't see him have that problem.   Kaep sat his first year and when he did get to play, he wasn't asked to do too much plus he was on a team with a great defense and strong running game, which made his job a bit easier.  

If Mariota lands with a team with similar strengths he can be successful but he would be best served holding a clipboard his first year like Kaep did. 

I watched both QBS in college and I said in a previous post today that Mariota is a better version of Kaep. Look what  Kaep almost did with the 49ers. One play from winning it all so I will take a QB in comparison to him. Why I like Mariota better is his work ethic knowing he want's  to get better. I watched Kaep this year and he did not want to run for easy first downs but to force it into coverage trusting his arm. I feel Mariota won't do this and not get into a ego situation with fans and critics about if you are a great throwing QB like I think the critics got into Kaep's head. Mariota should be the second pick, due to you can't find a real good QB, with a great work ethic, who has the size and speed to play QB in the NFL.

Mariota is a bust and there's not a chance the Jets will draft him. Qbs like him are available each and every year. Jets need to draft Cooper at 6 or an olb they love or trade back. Their future qb is not in this draft.

Mariota is a bust and there's not a chance the Jets will draft him. Qbs like him are available each and every year. Jets need to draft Cooper at 6 or an olb they love or trade back. Their future qb is not in this draft.

So how many  college games have you watched this year? QBS like this are not available every year. If you watched and know football like myself you can't find great height and speed and excellent character and work ethic with a good arm from college QBS every year. But you are the expert. He did improve every year and won all the awards and I see him learning the pro game but you are the expert so draft Cooper at 6 after signing two receivers the last two years. So now  where are you going to play him. But you are a Cooper lover and must follow Kiper.  This draft is full of receivers but you will draft him at 6. Were you a Sanchez lover when they drafted him? Anyone who knows me I was 100% against taking him. Same with Geno. Did you watch the Pinstripe Bowl? This is what bothers me about this board.    

I watched both QBS in college and I said in a previous post today that Mariota is a better version of Kaep. Look what  Kaep almost did with the 49ers. One play from winning it all so I will take a QB in comparison to him. Why I like Mariota better is his work ethic knowing he want's  to get better. I watched Kaep this year and he did not want to run for easy first downs but to force it into coverage trusting his arm. I feel Mariota won't do this and not get into a ego situation with fans and critics about if you are a great throwing QB like I think the critics got into Kaep's head. Mariota should be the second pick, due to you can't find a real good QB, with a great work ethic, who has the size and speed to play QB in the NFL.

Kaep has much stronger arm, is faster and built like a linebacker.  He also played for a damn good team that made Kaeps job much easier.  I am not going to assume MM will be better because I am not that impressed with his arm and ability to fit the ball in tight windows on a consistent basis.  He may be a more cerebral version but not necessarily better.  Kaep is very young and already played in two championship games and a Superbowl.  I think his best football is still ahead of him.  

Kaep has much stronger arm, is faster and built like a linebacker.  He also played for a damn good team that made Kaeps job much easier.  I am not going to assume MM will be better because I am not that impressed with his arm and ability to fit the ball in tight windows on a consistent basis.  He may be a more cerebral version but not necessarily better.  Kaep is very young and already played in two championship games and a Superbowl.  I think his best football is still ahead of him.

Have to disagree with you with some points on Kaep. Mariota is a faster than Kaep. Mariota ran a 4:51 forty. Now talking about Kaep being built like a linebacker. This happened after a few years in the NFL. Mariota will get stronger; and talking about the not throwing in tight windows is what Kaep has a tough time in doing still today. His accuracy was the main reason he did not go in the first round. Is Mariota Luck? No he isn't but his work ethic, leadership and athleticism impresses me a lot.

I watched both QBS in college and I said in a previous post today that Mariota is a better version of Kaep. Look what Kaep almost did with the 49ers. One play from winning it all so I will take a QB in comparison to him. Why I like Mariota better is his work ethic knowing he want's to get better. I watched Kaep this year and he did not want to run for easy first downs but to force it into coverage trusting his arm. I feel Mariota won't do this and not get into a ego situation with fans and critics about if you are a great throwing QB like I think the critics got into Kaep's head. Mariota should be the second pick, due to you can't find a real good QB, with a great work ethic, who has the size and speed to play QB in the NFL.

And you killed the Seahawks for drafting Russell Wilson in 2012. Next

I said it right before we grabbed Geno. THIS IS NOT THE YEAR FOR A QUARTERBACK. And I was right. I also said that off season that we should have built around and then plugged our QB in when we really think we found him... Same case here. KEEP BUILDING.. Don't stop until this new QB has to succeed. Its called putting your player in a good situation and it does a lot of his growth and production in the W column.

If mariota upside is Kaepernick why do you want him? Kaepernick had a great coach handling him in SF, the league's best O-line, a great running game and defense and very good receivers yet he sucked last 2 seasons.

Have to disagree with you with some points on Kaep. Mariota is a faster than Kaep. Mariota ran a 4:51 forty. Now talking about Kaep being built like a linebacker. This happened after a few years in the NFL. Mariota will get stronger; and talking about the not throwing in tight windows is what Kaep has a tough time in doing still today. His accuracy was the main reason he did not go in the first round. Is Mariota Luck? No he isn't but his work ethic, leadership and athleticism impresses me a lot.

Sorry but I am not buying it. I watched Kaep fly by NFL players, not college players,  like they were standing still. When I see MM do that we can talk; I don't care about running in shorts.. Mariota isn't Luck nor is he Kaep.  Potential is great but let me know when he goes into Green Bay and beats the Packers or makes big plays with both his arm and legs in the Superbowl.   Kaep has the arm strength to throw in the tightest of windows.  His problem has been reading defenses and he has lost some confidence causing him to be more hesitant on some of his throws.   Kaep did not get much bigger in the NFL. I remember when Harbaugh put him in against the Jets when we had Tebow and I was like who the heck is that??  The guy was chiseled and was grease lightning with a rocket arm.  I knew it was just a matter of time before he was starting for the Niners. 

Sorry but I am not buying it. I watched Kaep fly by NFL players, not college players,  like they were standing still. When I see MM do that we can talk; I don't care about running in shorts.. Mariota isn't Luck nor is he Kaep.  Potential is great but let me know when he goes into Green Bay and beats the Packers or makes big plays with both his arm and legs in the Superbowl.     

Games watched of Mariota, none. Mariota's ******* fast, maybe not as fast as Kaepernick, but he also doesn't have the long ass wind up or as bad accuracy problems of Kaep.

I said it right before we grabbed Geno. THIS IS NOT THE YEAR FOR A QUARTERBACK. And I was right. I also said that off season that we should have built around and then plugged our QB in when we really think we found him... Same case here. KEEP BUILDING.. Don't stop until this new QB has to succeed. Its called putting your player in a good situation and it does a lot of his growth and production in the W column.

If this is 2004 and Eli, Roethlisberger and Rivers were all there in rd 1 I'd say yeah take the qb. Fact is mariota has done nothing in college to make anyone think he's half the passer those guys are.

He's a good kid, great athlete, but he struggled anytime he had to make more than one read in the college FB playoffs. Even if you watch his highlight reels his best plays they are all to a WR running a tag route or running back in a screen.

At this point given choice you have to go with kaep. floor much higher. mariota conversion to nfl still a open question. maybe i am higher than most on kaep but i think he will prove to get even better and be a late bloomer in nfl, stellar first half season as starter aside.

If mariota upside is Kaepernick why do you want him? Kaepernick had a great coach handling him in SF, the league's best O-line, a great running game and defense and very good receivers yet he sucked last 2 seasons.

Apparently his upside is Kaepernick without the Tattoos and attitude.   Kaepernick is still young and I expect him to bounce back next season, I think his head got too big for his britches. 

Games watched of Mariota, none. Mariota's ******* fast, maybe not as fast as Kaepernick, but he also doesn't have the long ass wind up or as bad accuracy problems of Kaep.

Let me know when he is playing against NFL defenses.   Kaeps long ass wind up didn't stop him from almost bringing his team back in the Superbowl and beating Aaron Rogers in Green Bay in the NFC Championship Game. 

At this point given choice you have to go with kaep. floor much higher. mariota conversion to nfl still a open question. maybe i am higher than most on kaep but i think he will prove to get even better and be a late bloomer in nfl, stellar first half season as starter aside.

See me and you are on the same page.  I would take Kaep in a NY minute.  Him struggling might be the best thing for him.  Sometimes it isn't good when you have too much success too soon; not everyone is mature as Russell Wilson. 

And you killed the Seahawks for drafting Russell Wilson in 2012. Next

Where did you get that from. I did not say anything in that matter so stop saying lies. My description of Wilson since I watched him

at both schools was he could make the throws he needed to make and his biggest aspect was his intelligence. If he wasn't so short in stature I had him in

the first round. I watched a lot of Wisconsin football so don't put words in my mouth. Remember Wilson came into a perfect scenario coming to a

Seattle team that had a great ground game and took the pressure off him. Could Wilson succeed in Indianapolis like Luck has. Now that is the question?

Archived