Marcus Gilchrist Has been signed for 4 years

The12th Man

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the NFL dude. 1st round picks aren't dumped after 16 games. Pryor is going no where. Allen is a guy I like, but at this point he's walking the green mile

I don't think so. Allen has shown himself to be a versatile guy who is team oriented. He played anywhere we wanted him to without gripe. This is the kind of atheletic guy you want on your team either on the field or as depth. He plays specials too. Allen's worth is well known.  I don't see him going anytime soon and believe he will be retained when his rookie contract is up.

I am not so sure of that. All of the contracts so far have been pay as you go, with no front loading or huge signing bonuses so we are not really affecting future caps. In fact, they are using roster bonuses this year so cap hits go down next year. We should still have tons of cap room for next year even if it does not go up much. I think Skrine and Gilchrist are long term signings with Cro and Revis being 2-3 year signings, though if you read about the Revis signing, Sean Gilbert said they would honor his contract and after next year Revis' cap hit goes down.

I am not really paying attention to contract details, but if they've given roster bonuses instead of signing bonuses they are burning cash this year when they need to and leaving lots of flexibility for the future. It's the exact way you'd hope they'd have handled it.

The only problem I have is that the team looks win now, and our QB situation is win never. Even if we take Mariotta it's going to be 2009 all over again, team is ready, QB is not.

Now I'm not suggesting they just keep sucking till you find a QB route, I don't think it's sensible to ever burn a year like that jackass Idzik just did, and it's even more important to start the new guys off on a strong foot. But the team looks like a .500 ish team unfortunately, and it's because we are just so bad at QB

I am not really paying attention to contract details, but if they've given roster bonuses instead of signing bonuses they are burning cash this year when they need to and leaving lots of flexibility for the future. It's the exact way you'd hope they'd have handled it.

The only problem I have is that the team looks win now, and our QB situation is win never. Even if we take Mariotta it's going to be 2009 all over again, team is ready, QB is not.

Now I'm not suggesting they just keep sucking till you find a QB route, I don't think it's sensible to ever burn a year like that jackass Idzik just did, and it's even more important to start the new guys off on a strong foot. But the team looks like a .500 ish team unfortunately, and it's because we are just so bad at QB

In a week or so the contract details will come out.

I think a lot of fans here are confused between backloading and frontloading and the benefits of each.

When a contract is backloaded, most of the money is allocated in years that the player usually will not see, and is advantageous to the team, as all they expend is the SB and the first few years of salary at a lower level.    The only down side to the team is the un-amoritized SB.

Makes me wonder if Skrine was really a need but I guess we locked him down before we knew we could land the other 3 DBs we signed since.  But basically, assuming Bowles will run a base nickel package, we just signed four of the five starters in a week.  I assume Pryor and Allen will compete for the 2nd Safety spot with Milliner and maybe Walls as the backup CBs.  MM turned the worst secondary in football into one of the best faster than Idzik could figure out how to get an outside line on the phone system.

ESPN said today Bowles played with 6 DBs on field 160 times more than any other team this year. We needed every CB we signed.

I think you have no clue what you're talking about. I think Bowles has a plan. I think nobody in here knows what that plan is, except for him, the players and the coaching staff + front office. In your world we're spending money on players we don't need, but in Bowles' it's the opposite. Have some faith in the man for crying out loud and stop complaining all the time.

Ok so I have no clue. We have milliner and Pryor, two first round draft picks. We then pick up revis cromartie Skrine and gilchrist. Relegating our young high value picks to bench players. Why not use the money to lock up Wilkerson? Or keep some room for late cuts before the season in order to protect against the inevitable preseason injury bug? I'm glad we've made some moves and of course you have to overspend for quality vet FAs, but why spend like drunken sailors on positions that have already been improved? What happens if a solid vet lineman becomes available and we can't afford him because we have more DBs than we need? We go from extreme to extreme. Mangini to Rex. Schottenheimer to Sparano. Tannenbaum to Idzik. Just once I'd like to see sense and moderation paired with long term planning. There's a reason we've won nothing since 1969.

I'll say it now, I'll be surprised if both Allen and Pryor make the final roster. Jmo. I know guys like Cro are big fans of Allen's skills. But he's really a natural in the box SS like Pryor. In these spread one back sets everyone uses now I don't know. Maybe I'm not giving either enough credit.

Especially Pryor. Should be really interesting how it all plays out.

Lol.

Pryor, a 2nd year player who was not as bad as fans try and make out, will not be going anywhere mate.  He'll likely start alongside Gilchrist.

CB#1 : Revis

CB #2 : Skrine

CB #3:  Cromartie

CB #4:  Milliner/McDougle

CB #5:  McDougle/Milliner

SS:  Pryor (the only big hitter in the secondary)

FS:  Gilchrist (Was a CB coming out)

We may be dissapointed to some degree or another in Milliner (injuries), McDougle (injury) and Pryor (alone in a sh*theap D-backfield in 2014), but they're not going anywhere, nor should they.  At worst, they make solid depth players.

In today's all-pass NFL, it's not the worst thing to have potentially the deepest/best D-backfield in the NFL, is it?

Read the post directly above yours. It sounds like Milliner, Pryor and Allen will all be on the field plenty.

Fwiw it's all a learning curve for me too. Not like I watched a ton of Cardinals football last year. 6 DBs (non prevent) has me thinking maybe he does use that hybrid in the box guy like Allen. And as we know he is versatile enough to be moved outside against the taller, more physical WRs.

One way to mask Harris' lack of speed and weakness in coverage is to have A MILLLIONNNNN DB's. I'm excited about this.

I think it's prob why they considered Harris such a priority too. With 6 DBs your MLB better be able to play the run (tackle/sift through garbage/POA/read diognose etc)

Lol.

Pryor, a 2nd year player who was not as bad as fans try and make out, will not be going anywhere mate. He'll likely start alongside Gilchrist.

CB #3: Cromartie

CB #4: Milliner/McDougle

CB #5: McDougle/Milliner

SS: Pryor (the only big hitter in the secondary)

FS: Gilchrist (Was a CB coming out)

We may be dissapointed to some degree or another in Milliner (injuries), McDougle (injury) and Pryor (alone in a sh*theap D-backfield in 2014), but they're not going anywhere, nor should they. At worst, they make solid depth players.

In today's all-pass NFL, it's not the worst thing to have potentially the deepest/best D-backfield in the NFL, is it?

My point was about carrying BOTH. It was a thought I felt worth talking through. I wasn't speaking in absolutes. I've since worked through it somewhat. I hve no idea what a Bowles Defense really looks like. Was just speculating.

But Pryor sucked last year.

I think it's prob why they considered Harris such a priority too. With 6 DBs your MLB better be able to play the run (tackle/sift through garbage/POA/read diognose etc)

Yeah...I was concerned with how much they paid Harris...Wrongly.

I doubt he's going to have all that much cover responsibilities.  He plays the run exceptionally well.  They're gonna wanna stop the run with 6...and let the 5 DB's cover everything.

with our D-line and DB's - we should be able to accomplish both...

Lol.

Pryor, a 2nd year player who was not as bad as fans try and make out, will not be going anywhere mate. He'll likely start alongside Gilchrist.

CB #3: Cromartie

CB #4: Milliner/McDougle

CB #5: McDougle/Milliner

SS: Pryor (the only big hitter in the secondary)

FS: Gilchrist (Was a CB coming out)

We may be dissapointed to some degree or another in Milliner (injuries), McDougle (injury) and Pryor (alone in a sh*theap D-backfield in 2014), but they're not going anywhere, nor should they. At worst, they make solid depth players.

Thank you!

What a wonderful few days. I think they're done spending. Time to focus on the draft now. If the Jets can hit home runs in the draft we might be on to something. OLB,RB,QB,MLB. Let's get it.

Agree but you forgot Wilk.  They should get him done too.

Now with this move, I can definitely see us go "pass Rush OLB" at #6.

This defense, I hate to buy into hype, looks like it may have a year or two of being TRULY special, presuming they lock down the two beats on the D-line.

Even Coples may look better in this system....

Chargers fans seem to think this guy stinks, not sure what think

He was playing out of position in DS since Weddle is their star center fielder FS.  On the Jets, he'll be playing that role.  

This is a very solid signing for on the field, but I reserve final judgment until I see the $$$$$$$$ we are giving him

I think you have no clue what you're talking about. I think Bowles has a plan. I think nobody in here knows what that plan is, except for him, the players and the coaching staff + front office. In your world we're spending money on players we don't need, but in Bowles' it's the opposite. Have some faith in the man for crying out loud and stop complaining all the time.

Amen

PFF had him ranked as pretty average for what it's worth. Don't know anything about him.

Still should be better than anything we have.

I think PFF has him rated as a SS.  That's what he played in San Diego because Weddle is their star FS.  Gilchrist is very versatile and can play both SS and FS, but his natural position and the one he is built for is FS. And that will be his position here.  Hooray!

Lol.

Pryor, a 2nd year player who was not as bad as fans try and make out, will not be going anywhere mate.  He'll likely start alongside Gilchrist.

CB #3:  Cromartie

CB #4:  Milliner/McDougle

CB #5:  McDougle/Milliner

SS:  Pryor (the only big hitter in the secondary)

FS:  Gilchrist (Was a CB coming out)

We may be dissapointed to some degree or another in Milliner (injuries), McDougle (injury) and Pryor (alone in a sh*theap D-backfield in 2014), but they're not going anywhere, nor should they.  At worst, they make solid depth players.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head.  The only change I would make is playing Cro as CB #2 and having Skrine as the nickle, replacing Kyle Wilson.  Bowles fields 3 CBs in well over 50% of the defensive plays.  This is so fcking awesomne for a change.

This defense, I hate to buy into hype, looks like it may have a year or two of being TRULY special, presuming they lock down the two beats on the D-line.

... and by "this system" you mean stacked team with loaded secondary, right?

That's what everyone wants in today's NFL, except for Rex because Pryor "could smash your face in"

Should've drafted Dix

That's really all, where I was going with that. I suppose Allen has already somewhat proven he's more versatile...but to carry two "in the box" SS, on paper, in today's NFL seems a bit excessive.

I was thinking 100% like you (Fowler/Beasley/Ray) at 6.  But the more I read about what MacBowles is doing the less certain I am.  I get the sense that Coples is going back to the line and that we're going to use 2 run stop LB's (Harris and Davis) and 5 in the secondary. Of the 5 many of these guys are hybrids who can blitz the QB, cover TE/RB in pass protection and hold their own in run defense.  Guys like Jarrett/Pryor/Gilchrist/Allen are in many ways the same type of player. I have no clue how the old guys Pace and Babin fit in.

I'm thinking now Macc is going offense at 6.  I wouldn't be surprised if he took Marriota if he's there.  Or Cooper or White...

I'm thinking now Macc is going offense at 6.  I wouldn't be surprised if he took Marriota if he's there.  Or Cooper or White...

agree warfish................ With getting Vet older QB in Fitz who 100% knows Chans systems, aka he 'can' play DayOne and not hurt us if Mariota has growing pains, it tells me Mariota is the pick.....  mariota will be given chance to pull a RussWilson in camp and blow folks away and start Day One, but if not, he can study/grow a year cause we have someone who knows the playbook solid and w/our D can game manage us to 10-11 Ws in 2015 ,while Mariota 99% takes over in 2016 w/Fitz backing him up. Geno I assume, his days are over.

I don't think so. Allen has shown himself to be a versatile guy who is team oriented. He played anywhere we wanted him to without gripe. This is the kind of atheletic guy you want on your team either on the field or as depth. He plays specials too. Allen's worth is well known.  I don't see him going anytime soon and believe he will be retained when his rookie contract is up.

Allen is NOT versatile. Yeah he played CB last year, but that doesn't make him versatile, cuz he stunk at it.

agree warfish................ With getting Vet older QB in Fitz who 100% knows Chans systems, aka he 'can' play DayOne and not hurt us if Mariota has growing pains, it tells me Mariota is the pick.....  mariota will be given chance to pull a RussWilson in camp and blow folks away and start Day One, but if not, he can study/grow a year cause we have someone who knows the playbook solid and w/our D can game manage us to 10-11 Ws in 2015 ,while Mariota 99% takes over in 2016 w/Fitz backing him up. Geno I assume, his days are over.

Mariotta is not making it to #6. We'd have to trade up for him. He won't be the Geno of 2015 (once slated to be the first overall pick, doesn't even become the first QB selected and takes a huge fall).

Allen is NOT versatile. Yeah he played CB last year, but that doesn't make him versatile, cuz he stunk at it.

I agree that he is not necessarily versatile, but I don't think he stunk so bad.  I just think he seems like a big guy that can cover decently in man.  He also blew coverage a bit - most notably giving up that bomb to Vereen.

Archived