Marcus Gilchrist Has been signed for 4 years

The12th Man

Allen is NOT versatile. Yeah he played CB last year, but that doesn't make him versatile, cuz he stunk at it.

Allen is versatile as a hybrid small LB/safety type guy.  He has shown he can cover TE's and tackle.  He is overmatched on the outside as a CB which is why Macc paid up for Revis and Cro (and hopefully McDougle/Milliner at some point)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mariotta is not making it to #6. We'd have to trade up for him. He won't be the Geno of 2015 (once slated to be the first overall pick, doesn't even become the first QB selected and takes a huge fall).

Who do you figure is taking him earlier than 6?  Titans?

I agree that he is not necessarily versatile, but I don't think he stunk so bad.  I just think he seems like a big guy that can cover decently in man.  He also blew coverage a bit - most notably giving up that bomb to Vereen.

He was awful at CB, awful. Hopefully he learned something for his move back to safety.

The fact he even had to play CB and STARTED was reason enough to let Idzik hit the bricks. Good lord.

He was awful at CB, awful. Hopefully he learned something for his move back to safety.

The fact he even had to play CB and STARTED was reason enough to let Idzik hit the bricks. Good lord.

He is not a good CB, but that does not make him a bad cover S.  He can play most TEs very well and he does a good job of keeping the WR in front of him and making the tackle.  He was the opening day starter.  Ugh.

Who do you figure is taking him earlier than 6?  Titans?

Titans, Deadskins, or maybe another QB needy team like the Browns could trade up ahead of us to select him. All I know is if we were in love with Mariotta, we'd have to trade a couple of spots up to select him.

I like Antonio Allen. I think he's going to see playing time at LB in dime packages.

Me too. 2nd time I've mostly agreed with you in as many days. Not sure about the LB thing though. I usually wind up arguing with people. A nice change.

Lol.

Pryor, a 2nd year player who was not as bad as fans try and make out, will not be going anywhere mate.  He'll likely start alongside Gilchrist.

CB#1 : Revis

CB #2 : Skrine

CB #3:  Cromartie

CB #4:  Milliner/McDougle

CB #5:  McDougle/Milliner

SS:  Pryor (the only big hitter in the secondary)

FS:  Gilchrist (Was a CB coming out)

We may be dissapointed to some degree or another in Milliner (injuries), McDougle (injury) and Pryor (alone in a sh*theap D-backfield in 2014), but they're not going anywhere, nor should they.  At worst, they make solid depth players.

In today's all-pass NFL, it's not the worst thing to have potentially the deepest/best D-backfield in the NFL, is it?

Cro will start ahead of Skrine. In fact I'd say Milliner could even move ahead of him if he improves some.

Another solid signing by the Jets. It seems that this new regime has a plan and is executing it to the letter.  As a Jets fan, I can't remember a time during the offseason that has been this enjoyable in a long, long time.  After the last few years, we deserve it, Jets fans!

Allen is NOT versatile. Yeah he played CB last year, but that doesn't make him versatile, cuz he stunk at it.

Because he didn't excel at it does not mean he's not versatile. He had good games and bad games. There are safeties that can't even back pedal. Allen can do that all day. He's a good guy to have on the team. 

Lol.

Pryor, a 2nd year player who was not as bad as fans try and make out, will not be going anywhere mate. He'll likely start alongside Gilchrist.

CB #3: Cromartie

CB #4: Milliner/McDougle

CB #5: McDougle/Milliner

SS: Pryor (the only big hitter in the secondary)

FS: Gilchrist (Was a CB coming out)

We may be dissapointed to some degree or another in Milliner (injuries), McDougle (injury) and Pryor (alone in a sh*theap D-backfield in 2014), but they're not going anywhere, nor should they. At worst, they make solid depth players.

In today's all-pass NFL, it's not the worst thing to have potentially the deepest/best D-backfield in the NFL, is it?

Just hit me that we have 7 first rounders on D that's 65-70% of the D.

Lol.

Pryor, a 2nd year player who was not as bad as fans try and make out, will not be going anywhere mate. He'll likely start alongside Gilchrist.

CB #3: Cromartie

CB #4: Milliner/McDougle

CB #5: McDougle/Milliner

SS: Pryor (the only big hitter in the secondary)

FS: Gilchrist (Was a CB coming out)

We may be dissapointed to some degree or another in Milliner (injuries), McDougle (injury) and Pryor (alone in a sh*theap D-backfield in 2014), but they're not going anywhere, nor should they. At worst, they make solid depth players.

Don't forget Marcus Williams he played well enough to definitely compete for the fourth spot

I was thinking 100% like you (Fowler/Beasley/Ray) at 6.  But the more I read about what MacBowles is doing the less certain I am.  I get the sense that Coples is going back to the line and that we're going to use 2 run stop LB's (Harris and Davis) and 5 in the secondary. Of the 5 many of these guys are hybrids who can blitz the QB, cover TE/RB in pass protection and hold their own in run defense.  Guys like Jarrett/Pryor/Gilchrist/Allen are in many ways the same type of player. I have no clue how the old guys Pace and Babin fit in.

I'm thinking now Macc is going offense at 6.  I wouldn't be surprised if he took Marriota if he's there.  Or Cooper or White...

i doubt it. the qb will bew the winner between smith and fitzpatrick. we might draft a qb 2nd or 3rd round to develop. mariota wont be a jet. the pick will either be olb or wr

Cro will start ahead of Skrine. In fact I'd say Milliner could even move ahead of him if he improves some.

Exactly. Just look at the size of Cro's deal (it's basically the same deal he got from us in 2011 if recall correctly). Not to mention Cro isn't and can't play nickel, he isn't built for that. He is a tall, long corner that plays press.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

If you hate rap like I hate rap then do your ears a favor and mute this and just watch

https://youtu.be/yfEYibnUGws

The guy must be able to hit. Did you notice the fumble he forced against Cinncy was on Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis? That guy I don't think fumbled once his time in NE (I know, I know, deflate gate lol) but none the less he fumbles less than any RB in the NFL and Gilchrist knocked it right out of his hands.

If this guy can play center field than we found ourselves one hell of a fit to compliment our corners and Pryor/Allen at SS.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

he had some early success there but I'm more in agreement on your end. Allen has a bit of mysticism about him though. Cro has raved about how ultra talented he is. His play warranted him by a lot of draft experts to be a third-fourth round guy who goes in the 7th w a slow 40. He's one of the few guys to have success against Gronk and, although eventually exposed, played a few solid games at CB. For a guy who played almost exclusively in the box at SC. I could see him starting but I could see him getting cut too. Who knows.

I don't know why the transactions of the past few days suggest that we will go OLB or Offense at #6.  If anything the emphasis on the secondary suggests we go Trae Waynes at #6 if he's available.  Everyone thought that Bellichick was crazy for picking and then starting two pass catching tight ends (i.e. Hernendez and Gronk).  Maybe Bowles is trying to do something similar but with cornerbacks.  Perhaps we'll see something like 7 secondary, 1 linebacker, and 3 linemen on most downs.

I don't the the staff is expecting anything from Milliner. His injury is severe particularly for a CB. Teams would pick on him constantly.

True dat.  They will probably ease him back into the rotation.  It just may revive his career.

I think it's prob why they considered Harris such a priority too. With 6 DBs your MLB better be able to play the run (tackle/sift through garbage/POA/read diognose etc)

Again, Rex had to compensate for no secondary by using Harris as well as other LB's in space.

Hopefully Harris is back to filling gaps rather than covering WR's...

agree warfish................ With getting Vet older QB in Fitz who 100% knows Chans systems, aka he 'can' play DayOne and not hurt us if Mariota has growing pains, it tells me Mariota is the pick.....  mariota will be given chance to pull a RussWilson in camp and blow folks away and start Day One, but if not, he can study/grow a year cause we have someone who knows the playbook solid and w/our D can game manage us to 10-11 Ws in 2015 ,while Mariota 99% takes over in 2016 w/Fitz backing him up. Geno I assume, his days are over.

This would be ideal and would further cement the fact that the HC and FO are working together and know what they are doing for a change.

They have a coherent plan... AMAZING ISN'T IT!!!

For people to actually complain that the Jets are spending MONEY on the worst roster in the NFL offensively  and yes even defensively over the last few is simply MINDBOGGLING!!

We sucked and WE HAVE TO SPEND MONEY TO GET BETTER!!!  Some of you don't see that.....

Come on Guys, you are smarter then this!!

I'm getting the distinct impression that bowles did not like the existing secondary

I would pay $100 to just see his face (Bowles) when he watch highlights, I mean lowlights, of the Jets secondary last year.

I'm getting the distinct impression that bowles did not like the existing secondary

Bowles and Rex run a similar defense.  The new GM, however, understands that this system needs players in the secondary.  

And I don't how great of a defensive coach you are; you aren't going to be able to stop the pass when you're starting an UDFA at one CB spot and a college LB at the other.

Archived