Bring Back Fireman Ed

Make me idSICK

I understand that. But this place self-polices pretty good. Legit SAR being SAR stuff gets handled and laughed at, and as it is ape going rogue was sufficient to devolve the rant, whatever one may think of its contents, into a cripple fight. Which means Max comes off like he's taking sides in a cripple fight based on his motivated support for Fireman Ed brand product. And ape gets laughed at because mommy chased off O'Banion with a shotgun.

Wait a minute.  This whole thing happened because he called me an ape.

Am I not the ape?

SAR I

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PSL's were a blessing for thousands of Jets fans who were on the waitlist and couldn't get at the great seats because of those who were hogging them.

From 1981 to 2001 I paid my dues in crappy seats, had to scour the aftermarket or see a scalper just to get to a game.  That's 20 years I couldn't have great seats in a consistent location but I made it work because of my love of the team.  Those who had great lower level seats in Giants Stadium and were priced out now have the opportunity to do the same.  I didn't complain when I was frozen out for 20 years, they shouldn't either.

Having Ed come back solves nothing.  If you want a more raucous stadium environment, you need more Jets fans to occupy seats that are unsold or are on the aftermarket.  Dolphin and Steeler fans don't respond to Ed.  Younger Jets fans don't respond to Ed.  Getting older Jets fans to buy Jets tickets and block out enemy fans is what is required.  This is bring back the Fireman thing just a quaint gesture.  Let's get at the real problem if we want a real solution.

SAR I

Have to disagree. I think the chant is a trademark item that bonds Jets fans together. Pretty unique, too, at least amongst NFL teams. When it's done right, it creates an almost college atmosphere. Nobody but Ed has done it right, or at least not since he appeared. A real New Yorker bringing New York area fans together with a common bond. I love it.

PSL's were a blessing for thousands of Jets fans who were on the waitlist and couldn't get at the great seats because of those who were hogging them.

From 1981 to 2001 I paid my dues in crappy seats, had to scour the aftermarket or see a scalper just to get to a game.  That's 20 years I couldn't have great seats in a consistent location but I made it work because of my love of the team.  Those who had great lower level seats in Giants Stadium and were priced out now have the opportunity to do the same.  I didn't complain when I was frozen out for 20 years, they shouldn't either.

Having Ed come back solves nothing.  If you want a more raucous stadium environment, you need more Jets fans to occupy seats that are unsold or are on the aftermarket.  Dolphin and Steeler fans don't respond to Ed.  Younger Jets fans don't respond to Ed.  Getting older Jets fans to buy Jets tickets and block out enemy fans is what is required.  This is bring back the Fireman thing just a quaint gesture.  Let's get at the real problem if we want a real solution.

SAR I

I don't believe anyone is suggesting that getting Ed to do the chant is the solution to people selling their seats to enemy fans. The problem being addressed with the Ed campaign is that Ed no longer does the chant, and people want him to. So, the solution makes sense.

The problem you raise is extremely valid and blocking out enemy fans needs to be a point of pride for anyone with the means to attend games, it just isn't the problem statement that the Ed campaign is targeting. 

The two problems combined fit into the "sh*tty home crowd" problem overall, so in that regard I can see the correlation. Perhaps the step beyond the Ed campaign is a "fill the seats with green and white" campaign, because I agree with you, this is the path towards improving our home crowd presence. Our fanbase needs some re-training that comes from fellow fans. The people the sell the tickets cannot deliver an authentic message about how important it is to fill those seats with Jets fans.

I hope to get to 2 games this year. We'll see how that pans out.

Have to disagree. I think the chant is a trademark item that bonds Jets fans together. Pretty unique, too, at least amongst NFL teams. When it's done right, it creates an almost college atmosphere. Nobody but Ed has done it right, or at least not since he appeared. A real New Yorker bringing New York area fans together with a common bond. I love it.

Sentimental hogwash.  You're misremembering.

The chant to get the team and the fans 'pumped up' only happens 8 times a year and that's at kickoff at home.  The other times the chant gets executed is after we score and that's just an additional 10 seconds of enthusiasm atop a happy moment, hardly critical to team performance.

If the whistling "Potvin Sucks" guy quit on the team on national TV, no self-respecting Rangers fan would be begging him to come back.  This is football.  The past two days, this place feels like Oprah.

SAR I

I don't believe anyone is suggesting that getting Ed to do the chant is the solution to people selling their seats to enemy fans. The problem being addressed with the Ed campaign is that Ed no longer does the chant, and people want him to. So, the solution makes sense.

The problem you raise is extremely valid and blocking out enemy fans needs to be a point of pride for anyone with the means to attend games, it just isn't the problem statement that the Ed campaign is targeting. 

The two problems combined fit into the "sh*tty home crowd" problem overall, so in that regard I can see the correlation. Perhaps the step beyond the Ed campaign is a "fill the seats with green and white" campaign, because I agree with you, this is the path towards improving our home crowd presence. Our fanbase needs some re-training that comes from fellow fans. The people the sell the tickets cannot deliver an authentic message about how important it is to fill those seats with Jets fans.

I hope to get to 2 games this year. We'll see how that pans out.

Good post, agree completely.

When I lived in NH for 14 years I was a season ticket holder, drove the 10 hours round trip 5x a year, sold the other games because it was too much after awhile.  Ed leading a chant didn't matter, but being surrounded by 80,000 Jets fans did.  Nowadays, seems like only 60,000 of us are there.  And by the way, that's an epidemic across the NFL.  I've been to plenty of road games in plenty of cities.  San Diego, Kansas City, Miami, Jacksonville, Philadelphia, Green Bay, and New England (15 times) and I can tell you that all NFL stadiums have been infiltrated by enemy fans.  Stubhub made it so easy to attend road games that tons of people find that more fun.  My son would rather I take him to 1 Jets road game in, say, Green Bay than to take him to 8 Jets games in New Jersey. 

It's cool that Ed is wanted back, but if the underlying cause for this desired outcome on behalf of Jets fans is to "get the crowd back into it" I'm sorry, that's not going to happen.  Wish it would.

SAR I

Good post, agree completely.

When I lived in NH for 14 years I was a season ticket holder, drove the 10 hours round trip 5x a year, sold the other games because it was too much after awhile.  Ed leading a chant didn't matter, but being surrounded by 80,000 Jets fans did.  Nowadays, seems like only 60,000 of us are there.  And by the way, that's an epidemic across the NFL.  I've been to plenty of road games in plenty of cities.  San Diego, Kansas City, Miami, Jacksonville, Philadelphia, Green Bay, and New England (15 times) and I can tell you that all NFL stadiums have been infiltrated by enemy fans.  Stubhub made it so easy to attend road games that tons of people find that more fun.  My son would rather I take him to 1 Jets road game in, say, Green Bay than to take him to 8 Jets games in New Jersey. 

It's cool that Ed is wanted back, but if the underlying cause for this desired outcome on behalf of Jets fans is to "get the crowd back into it" I'm sorry, that's not going to happen.  Wish it would.

SAR I

Winning football is really the ONLY potential fix for that.

Sentimental hogwash.  You're misremembering.

The chant to get the team and the fans 'pumped up' only happens 8 times a year and that's at kickoff at home.  The other times the chant gets executed is after we score and that's just an additional 10 seconds of enthusiasm atop a happy moment, hardly critical to team performance.

If the whistling "Potvin Sucks" guy quit on the team on national TV, no self-respecting Rangers fan would be begging him to come back.  This is football.  The past two days, this place feels like Oprah.

SAR I

Actually what I am remembering, quite accurately, is the times I have run into Jet fans at random times and places and we have shared a Jets chant together. There was a time in Orlando I bumped into a guy in a Jets jacket at a minor league football game, some 20 years ago. I told him he was pretty brave to wear that attire in Dolphin country. He shrugged it off. I showed him my Jets keychain and we spontaneously broke out into a Jets chant right there amongst all those non-Jet fans,

And then there's the time in 2012 I was in a sportsbar in Martha's Vineyard, October 2012, when I was there to watch Jets vs. Colts. A bunch of Jet fans strode in, and I wound up playing the role of Ed leading the chant several times as the Jets wiped out the Colts that day with TD after TD. 

That's the trademark chant I am talking about. And Ed has done more, much more, than anybody else to preserve that bond. And it doesn't happen at minor league football games or at sportsbars. It happens at the stadium. Go Fireman Ed!

Actually what I am remembering, quite accurately, is the times I have run into Jet fans at random times and places and we have shared a Jets chant together. There was a time in Orlando I bumped into a guy in a Jets jacket at a minor league football game, some 20 years ago. I told him he was pretty brave to wear that attire in Dolphin country. He shrugged it off. I showed him my Jets keychain and we spontaneously broke out into a Jets chant right there amongst all those non-Jet fans,

And then there's the time in 2012 I was in a sportsbar in Martha's Vineyard, October 2012, when I was there to watch Jets vs. Colts. A bunch of Jet fans strode in, and I wound up playing the role of Ed leading the chant several times as the Jets wiped out the Colts that day with TD after TD. 

That's the trademark chant I am talking about. And Ed has done more, much more, than anybody else to preserve that bond. And it doesn't happen at minor league football games or at sportsbars. It happens at the stadium. Go Fireman Ed!

You know what made me realize how important the chant was? I worked in a tech incubator in Cambridge MA, there was a die hard Pats fan there, he was on the same floor as me, different company. He saw me in my Jets cap in a common area, and he blurted out the Jets chant to me to introduce himself. He told me stories about how he would travel to Pats road games just to fight home team fans. He was a bit nutty, or intense, he HATED Giants fans, but for some reason he respected the chant and used it as an ice breaker to be able to talk rivalry football with me. 

Having lived in Georgia, Indiana and New England for the better part of 20 years now I've also had moments like you describe. The chant belongs to all of us, it is a common bond, and Ed is its ambassador the way I see it. That's an okay thing in my book.

T

S

JETS JETS JETS

That is it. This is settled, I am the new Fireman Ed.

Ed when you read this, you had a good run. But we live in a digital age. I am just better equipped to meet the needs of the internet based Jets fan.  :)

S

JETS JETS JETS

That is it. This is settled, I am the new Fireman Ed.

Ed when you read this, you had a good run. But we live in a digital age. I am just better equipped to meet the needs of the internet based Jets fan.   :)

Can't wait to see you up on somebody's shoulders leading the chant. Hopefully as we crush the Pats in our backyard. Of course, Ed himself would do as well :winking0001: .

Can't wait to see you up on somebody's shoulders leading the chant. Hopefully as we crush the Pats in our backyard. Of course, Ed himself would do as well :winking0001: .

On a serious note...beating the Pats at home. Ed leading the chant. Yeah, that's what i'm talking about!

Well its really only me or Duane that would be capable of that, and I ain't volunteering, lol.

Well its really only me or Duane that would be capable of that, and I ain't volunteering, lol.

I was waiting for it. I am glad we got this one out of the way sooner rather than later. It would have been a rough nights sleep knowing I had to wake up to this joke tomorrow morning.

Whoa, easy there big guy. I just finished the chant. Now you are throwing out new letters. 

Settle down and I will let you know when the next chant is ready to begin.   :)

You're going for the participation trophy, eh?

Whatever. I'm going to go back to watching Star Wars and eating soup. To hell with all of you. My dog loves me.

I was waiting for it. I am glad we got this one out of the way sooner rather than later. It would have been a rough nights sleep knowing I had to wake up to this joke tomorrow morning.

And i was worried about nightmares thinking of you on my shoulders at Metlife with an angry little Irish boner poking into the back of my neck. I guess we can both sleep easier now!

Something, I am sure, all Jet fans can agree on.

C'mon we are Jets fans. Everyone agreeing on the same thing will never happen.

Jets 35

Pats 3

Here are some of the post game comments:

"Rex would have shut them out".

"Jesse Decker ruined the game for me with her version of the National Anthem".

"Fire Chan Gailey, we should have scored 40 on that defense".

I think I crossed the 25-year mark with this team some time recently. I'm well within my right to hate them at this point.

Ah, so you're a newbie! That explains everything, Welcome to Jet fandom!

BTW, just busting your balls. I'm a Rutgers man too. NCAS, 1972.

Did anybody listen to the interview tonight? Here is the link...
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/lets-talk-jets/2015/0/18/new-york-jets-talk-show-featuring-fireman-ed-and-calvin-pryor

He comes on around 25 minutes in.. Not really sure it is possible for an interview to get me more fired up than that one did... It is a must listen... Even Sar will be inviting Ed on the hood of his BMW to lead a chant at the home opener if he gives it a listen...

Archived