Can Geno Smith Succeed???

neckdemon

Ok we all know Geno has been wildly inconsistent. After being benched last year, he came back and, except for one game, played pretty well. The question is can he become a consistent NFL player? With the team this front office is putting together this is going to be a key question. QB is the wildcard, and there is no qb in this draft who is going to come in and be the franchise qb from the gate. Ih we draft Mariota he will need to sit, either behind Smith or Fitzpatrick (depending on who wins what should be a completely wide open qb competition this summer). Just for the hell of it take a look at Geno'd #'s his last 6 games (all the games after he came back from being benched) and his last 4 (the final games after his one poor game out of the last 6)

Last 6 :

completion percentage : 65.67%

yards/attempt : 8.62

TD% : 4.5%

Int% : 2.2%

Qb rating: 98.32

Last 4:

completion percentage : 65.14%

yards/attempt : 9.18

TD% : 5.5%

Int% : i.8%

Rating: 105.33

now the final 4, you could argue the stats are infalted by his one stellar game against the phags. but the phags had the #6 pass defense in the league and #12 defense overall. the question again is, can he do this consistently? can he win in training camp and play consistently good football? idk the answer, but if he does it, if he turns the corner and becomes a consistently decent qb, this team has a chance to be very very good.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok we all know Geno has been wildly inconsistent. After being benched last year, he came back and, except for one game, played pretty well. The question is can he become a consistent NFL player? With the team this front office is putting together this is going to be a key question. QB is the wildcard, and there is no qb in this draft who is going to come in and be the franchise qb from the gate. Ih we draft Mariota he will need to sit, either behind Smith or Fitzpatrick (depending on who wins what should be a completely wide open qb competition this summer). Just for the hell of it take a look at Geno'd #'s his last 6 games (all the games after he came back from being benched) and his last 4 (the final games after his one poor game out of the last 6)

Last 6 :

completion percentage : 65.67%

yards/attempt : 8.62

TD% : 4.5%

Int% : 2.2%

Qb rating: 98.32

Last 4:

completion percentage : 65.14%

yards/attempt : 9.18

TD% : 5.5%

Int% : i.8%

Rating: 105.33

now the final 4, you could argue the stats are infalted by his one stellar game against the phags. but the phags had the #6 pass defense in the league and #12 defense overall. the question again is, can he do this consistently? can he win in training camp and play consistently good football? idk the answer, but if he does it, if he turns the corner and becomes a consistently decent qb, this team has a chance to be very very good.

The Dolphin game was the first game where i felt Geno was freewheeling and comfortable.  What that means I don't know.  My impression of Geno is that his confidence level is low and what we see from him is bravado.  If the confidence were real, I would be more optimistic, even with the numbers he has had.

If he can we should find out this season. Between receivers, improved line (hopefully), solid ground game, and a defense that will take pressure off him to play perfect he is set up to have his best season so far. Gailey also seems like the type of coordinator that can get the most of Geno as well.

I'm pretty optimistic and like enough of what I saw the final month and a half to feel Geno has a good chance to be our starter and be successful. If it doesn't happen then hopefully Fitz can win games for us with the supporting cast.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Let's talk the last 20 years,is there any precedent for a QB to look as awful in his 1st 2 seasons in significant action like Geno and turn into a good QB?

To be fair for the most part of those 20 years he'd spend a year or two on the bench learning.

Let's talk the last 20 years,is there any precedent for a QB to look as awful in his 1st 2 seasons in significant action like Geno and turn into a good QB?

drew brees was actually similarly inconsistent and prone to poor play his first couple seasons. he was even benched for flutie

fitzpatrick was worse even after sitting

The Dolphin game was the first game where i felt Geno was freewheeling and comfortable.  What that means I don't know.  My impression of Geno is that his confidence level is low and what we see from him is bravado.  If the confidence were real, I would be more optimistic, even with the numbers he has had.

Going to be hard for him to build confidence this year throwing against our defense in training camp.

drew brees was actually similarly inconsistent and prone to poor play his first couple seasons. he was even benched for flutie

lol comparing brees to geno smh

Interesting. Brees sat his first season, playing in only 1 game, started the next then played in 11 in his 3rd. His 2nd and 3rd years, first 2 as a starter were bad. But his 3rd year was excellent.

So if we follow your analogy then this year is the key for Geno.

My issue with Geno is off the field. He seems to lack the demeanor to become a good QB.

I think he absolutely can.  I guess I'm not shocked, but I'm a little surprised to see how many people on this board just gave up on the poor kid.  Has he made some dumb decisions on the field?  Absolutely.  Has he made some stupid decisions off of the field?  Absolutely.  The kid is 24 years old and he's played for two seasons give the kid a break.  Look at the receiving corp or lack there of that a 22 23 year old kid had to work with.  I just don't understand why people won't give him a chance to learn how this league operates.  Does he throw inaccurate passes sometimes?  Of course sometimes more than I'd like, but who doesn't??  

He is going to be entering his 3rd season as a professional with an actual NFL offense going onto the field with him.  Dare I say it, but he actually has some weapons to get open for him.  I'll say it again, he's going to have actual NFL wide receivers who have the ability to get open on a consistent basis on the field with him.  Last season when Decker went down who were the receivers he was throwing to?  Even when Decker was on the field he was far from 100%.  This season he's going to be throwing it to guys like Brandon Marshall,  a healthy Eric Decker, Jeremy Kerley, Jace Amaro, hopefully a speedy pass-catching RB out of the backfield, and whatever receiver hopefully steps in up for us (Shaq Evans, Chris Owusu).  Let's decide then to send the kid packing.

Chan Gailey has been known and proved to do a whole lot with little when it comes to the QB position in his style of offense.  Look at what he did with Fitzpatrick from 2010-2012 when he was with Buffalo (don't hold me to those years I could be off).  Kordell Stewart even looked decent and I believe had decent years too with Gailey.  The point is, you don't need an elite QB in his system.

Geno is in his 3rd year now so he knows the speed of the game now and maybe even a liiiiittle on how defenses work in the NFL and he has weapons.  To me this year is an absolute make or break year for him.  No more excuses.  He's going to be manning a spread offense with guys who can get open all over the field.  All he needs to do is put up a few points and let our defense go to work.

I have faith.

I think Geno can succeed.  I'm certainly not willing to write him off, since he's never really been properly coached in the NFL.  Now that the grownups are in charge in New York, I think Geno can turn the corner as he will actually have coaches who know what the hell they're doing to help him get the most out of his abilities.

Interesting. Brees sat his first season, playing in only 1 game, started the next then played in 11 in his 3rd. His 2nd and 3rd years, first 2 as a starter were bad. But his 3rd year was excellent.

So if we follow your analogy then this year is the key for Geno.

My issue with Geno is off the field. He seems to lack the demeanor to become a good QB.

i would say yes.....if there isn't a marked improvement from geno (assuming he beats out fitspatrick) this year then he is likely done as a new york jet and will make the rounds competing and possibly playing qb for teams with bad qb situations

Or one who managed to regress so much after a piss poor rookie year?

he can spin it

he can move

I don't think he is stupid

I think he is undisciplined and unmotivated

sometimes that light goes on, sometimes it doesn't

Yeah exactly he has the tools and you can tell he legitimately wants to succeed.  He has the backing to do so now. 

Going to be hard for him to build confidence this year throwing against our defense in training camp.

He really should be throwing against a scout style defense that emulates the other team.  I know Rex did not do that.  I guess lit is a numbers problem primarily.

Yeah exactly he has the tools and you can tell he legitimately wants to succeed.  He has the backing to do so now. 

he can spin it

he can move

I don't think he is stupid

I think he is undisciplined and unmotivated

sometimes that light goes on, sometimes it doesn't

The two bold points are the next best thing to being naturally stupid.  

I think part of the problem, in terms of the lack of discipline, is that he was brought into an environment that heavily fostered that kind of an atmosphere.  With the grown-ups now running the Jets, I don't think that will be an issue anymore.  I mean, why should he have to worry about being late for a meeting or whatnot when the HC clearly didn't care.

Or one who managed to regress so much after a piss poor rookie year?

Smith did not regress last year, his numbers actually improved from his rookie year:

http://www.nfl.com/player/genosmith/2539335/profile

His completion percentage went up almost 5 points

His TD/TO ratio improved

His QB rating went up 11 points

Geno was not good last year, but he definitely improved from his rookie season. While people are quick to say that the Miami game inflated his statistics, the Buffalo game was also somewhat of an outlier, plus you had the first Miami game where Rex decided to run the wishbone offense. 

I don't think Geno is ever going to be the type of QB that can elevate the level of play for his teammates. The question is, can Geno succeed if you put the right pieces around him. If yes, then the Jets can make a run. If Amaro continues to improve, you are not going to get a much better trio than Marshall, Decker and Amaro. 

Geno's biggest problem is between his ears. I am hoping Chan Galey and Bowles can get inside his head a little bit and make him relax and play well consistently. One thing that bears mentioning is that the great game he had against the Fins was a game in which there was no pressure on him and he had nothing to lose, as many predicted that would be his last game a starter. I think that made all the difference mentally. If he can learn to relax than maybe he can become the guy.

This is a weirdly pleasant thread. OP came in with some substance.

I am a believer when it comes to Geno, for serious. I think he has the arm, has the mobility and athleticism, he doesn't play scared so much as inexperienced, and personally I've thought the character stuff was bullsh*t from the start. He doesn't have the fear guys like Sanchez had and have, Carr developed....not yet anyway. Sucks because this one is my highly untrustworthy eye.

He has the talent, that was NEVER in question.

Does he have the discipline to prepare & study to succeed. He literally had BRAIN FARTS where he just INEXPLICABLY turned the ball over. He has not shown to have LEARNED from repeating THE SAME MISTAKES. Not very encouraging, but possible if not plausible ,

Smith did not regress last year, his numbers actually improved from his rookie year:

http://www.nfl.com/player/genosmith/2539335/profile

His completion percentage went up almost 5 points

His TD/TO ratio improved

His QB rating went up 11 points

Geno was not good last year, but he definitely improved from his rookie season. While people are quick to say that the Miami game inflated his statistics, the Buffalo game was also somewhat of an outlier, plus you had the first Miami game where Rex decided to run the wishbone offense. 

I don't think Geno is ever going to be the type of QB that can elevate the level of play for his teammates. The question is, can Geno succeed if you put the right pieces around him. If yes, then the Jets can make a run. If Amaro continues to improve, you are not going to get a much better trio than Marshall, Decker and Amaro. 

Screw stats.  He was worse, because he made the same stupid mistakes and apparently lost his ability to tell time.  What a mook.  He sh*t the bed when it counted and his stats were padded in extended garbage time,  Give me an effin' break.  **** his completion percentage, perfect game and any other nonsensical horsehit you care to throw out there to justify his "performance".  He sucked ass, plain and simple.   

Archived