Can Geno Smith Succeed???

neckdemon

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything will be answered this year.

He has a coach that will supposedly tailor an offense to his strengths.

Sometimes when you RESTRAIN A QB you actually make it more difficult to play. If your always calling SAFE PLAYS & trying to dink & dunk yourself down the field inevitably you increase your TOs with a young QB.

Geno was on the wrong side of down & distance then a young QB can bear. Add to that the inability of the defense to EVER keep an opposing team from moving out of bad field position & you have the 2014 Jets offense in a nutshell.

Plus after adding Harvin the azz face was taking EVERYTHING out of the endzone & not even getting back to the 20 yard line.

The coaching on last years team was abdominal!

Unlike Sanchez, the games where they take the straps off have been some of his best. The guy comes from an open offense, he needs like all QBs to get into some kind of rhythm. He needs quick confidence.

I think Rex had it all wrong in this new league. When the rules are such that you can't breath on the receivers you have to take some shots.

How many times did we get TOs in the last 2 years, end up on the other teams 45 yard line & run twice? Too f*cking many.

I'm hoping that's what Bowles brings from Ariens. Ariens has some gun slinger in him, some hutzpa.

Rex always gambled with his defense by throwing all out blitzes & playing zero coverage but he didn't have the balls to throw the ball down the damn field on offense! He eunics offenses.

Points come from the passing game in this league. I'm so sick of winning the TOP by double margins & losing by a FG!

Since Rex showed up here we have been the most BORING OFFENSE in the entire league for 6 years running!

Six years!

Maybe the Titans were worse but not by much. I'm gonna go out on a limb & say we will never see another half of football where we run the ball 99% of the time & throw 3 passes!

If I owned the Jets I would have fired Rex the next morning!

Gee we dont like a player who is playing for the jets and are expressing same on a fan board. Get off your high horse. When geno stinks this year i expect an apology for your cheap, feigned outrage.

Hopefully bench of another team dont want his sulky open mouth flycatcher face on this team anymore.

Unfortunately there are only 32 NFL teams. Top 50 is basically the lower quartile of backups in the league. Thanks for proving the point of the people who you think you disagree with.

Its just the younger folks. Ridiculous irrational defense of Rex lasted until approximate four seconds after he signed with buffalo. Same will happen with geno, sometimes knowing you are right in the face of cat calls and shout downs have to be your only reward.

If i was blind and couldnt see him play it would make me like him more, not less.

Not just irrational, but "Completely" so? Lol. Worst starting qb in league. Its actually irrational to defend him just because he wears a green jersey. If pats drafted him after brady retires we would be mocking them and him incessently. The geno sniffers are not being objective--definition of irrational.

They will need to wait until they are given permission to think he stinks when he is cut by jets. Homers lack independent thought. They would still be making rexcuses if he wasnt canned.

He is going to ride bench this year.

Worst part is he was obviously lying, he would be early to meeting not late if he forget to set his watch and he knew what time the movie started didnt he? Did the theater have show times listed in eastern standard? Rex swallowed a fish tale that was an obvious lie, the kind a toddler tells when his face is covered in frosting and he says he didnt eat the cake. Rex didnt care, coddle the QB, set horrible precedent for the team. Zero accountability. A man wouldve said damn coach im sorry i just forgot. Not make up a ridiculous an obvious whopper only a dumbazz would try that. Say your car broke down and phone died or something damn. Plus he sulked and tried to run away from draft when he slipped passed 1st round but his agent sweet talked him into staying knowing he would slip even farther. He is dumb and has an entitled attitude and folds in face of adversity. Was worth the flier in round 2, but three seasons flushed waiting on this guy to get it? No thanks, we have suffered enough.

He will be elevating fitz, not geno.

Good chance? If you like <5% odds, then yeah chance is "good." So all he needs to have his "best" season (qbr 72???) is stud receivers, stud oline, stud running game, stud defense. Way to defend the position that he is salvageable. Jets fans have severe stockholm syndrome after being held hostage by dogsh*t qbs for forty years, excepting a vinny year and half a favre year. GENO SUCKS WE DESERVE BETTER, BREAK FREE OF YOUR CHAINS!

Whatever dude, I guess the new CS will make their decisions and we will go from there.  I just think it is stupid to constantly bitch and whine about it since he will get an opportunity.   The best possible outcome is that Geno does improve and takes his game to the next level.  No franchise qbs are falling out trees and Fitzpatrick is who his is; a decent qb who would be a back up on a good team.   I have nothing invested in Smith one way or the other; I am just willing to see what Chan can do with him.  I don't understand why you seem to be so invested in him failing.  

Whatever dude, I guess the new CS will make their decisions and we will go from there.  I just think it is stupid to constantly bitch and whine about it since he will get an opportunity.   The best possible outcome is that Geno does improve and takes his game to the next level.  No franchise qbs are falling out trees and Fitzpatrick is who his is; a decent qb who would be a back up on a good team.   I have nothing invested in Smith one way or the other; I am just willing to see what Chan can do with him.  I don't understand why you seem to be so invested in him failing.  

Put him on the bench is what he's going to do with him.

I am not invested in the weather but doesn't stop me from making predictions. I hope Geno becomes an all pro. But I'm not betting on it. I also hope I win powerball, but I'm not cashing out my savings to buy tickets.

Everything will be answered this year.

He has a coach that will supposedly tailor an offense to his strengths.

Sometimes when you RESTRAIN A QB you actually make it more difficult to play. If your always calling SAFE PLAYS & trying to dink & dunk yourself down the field inevitably you increase your TOs with a young QB.

Geno was on the wrong side of down & distance then a young QB can bear. Add to that the inability of the defense to EVER keep an opposing team from moving out of bad field position & you have the 2014 Jets offense in a nutshell.

Plus after adding Harvin the azz face was taking EVERYTHING out of the endzone & not even getting back to the 20 yard line.

The coaching on last years team was abdominal!

Unlike Sanchez, the games where they take the straps off have been some of his best. The guy comes from an open offense, he needs like all QBs to get into some kind of rhythm. He needs quick confidence.

I think Rex had it all wrong in this new league. When the rules are such that you can't breath on the receivers you have to take some shots.

How many times did we get TOs in the last 2 years, end up on the other teams 45 yard line & run twice? Too f*cking many.

I'm hoping that's what Bowles brings from Ariens. Ariens has some gun slinger in him, some hutzpa.

Rex always gambled with his defense by throwing all out blitzes & playing zero coverage but he didn't have the balls to throw the ball down the damn field on offense! He eunics offenses.

Points come from the passing game in this league. I'm so sick of winning the TOP by double margins & losing by a FG!

Since Rex showed up here we have been the most BORING OFFENSE in the entire league for 6 years running!

Six years!

Maybe the Titans were worse but not by much. I'm gonna go out on a limb & say we will never see another half of football where we run the ball 99% of the time & throw 3 passes!

If I owned the Jets I would have fired Rex the next morning!

These are my feelings to a T.  We will see what competent coaching can do for an offense.

I think he absolutely can.  I guess I'm not shocked, but I'm a little surprised to see how many people on this board just gave up on the poor kid.  Has he made some dumb decisions on the field?  Absolutely.  Has he made some stupid decisions off of the field?  Absolutely.  The kid is 24 years old and he's played for two seasons give the kid a break.  Look at the receiving corp or lack there of that a 22 23 year old kid had to work with.  I just don't understand why people won't give him a chance to learn how this league operates.  Does he throw inaccurate passes sometimes?  Of course sometimes more than I'd like, but who doesn't??  

He is going to be entering his 3rd season as a professional with an actual NFL offense going onto the field with him.  Dare I say it, but he actually has some weapons to get open for him.  I'll say it again, he's going to have actual NFL wide receivers who have the ability to get open on a consistent basis on the field with him.  Last season when Decker went down who were the receivers he was throwing to?  Even when Decker was on the field he was far from 100%.  This season he's going to be throwing it to guys like Brandon Marshall,  a healthy Eric Decker, Jeremy Kerley, Jace Amaro, hopefully a speedy pass-catching RB out of the backfield, and whatever receiver hopefully steps in up for us (Shaq Evans, Chris Owusu).  Let's decide then to send the kid packing.

Chan Gailey has been known and proved to do a whole lot with little when it comes to the QB position in his style of offense.  Look at what he did with Fitzpatrick from 2010-2012 when he was with Buffalo (don't hold me to those years I could be off).  Kordell Stewart even looked decent and I believe had decent years too with Gailey.  The point is, you don't need an elite QB in his system.

Geno is in his 3rd year now so he knows the speed of the game now and maybe even a liiiiittle on how defenses work in the NFL and he has weapons.  To me this year is an absolute make or break year for him.  No more excuses.  He's going to be manning a spread offense with guys who can get open all over the field.  All he needs to do is put up a few points and let our defense go to work.

I have faith.

Great post.  I believe we are in the minority with this opinion unfortunately.  I have faith (new hashtag?). 

Why the mods are allowing this re-thread to even be posted is beyond me.  This topic has been explored, debated and exhausted beyond belief.  In a year or two Geno will be in the arena league or the Canadian football league and there will be mindless fans on here imploring to bring him back because 'he has potential blah blah blah'.  Someone said it perfectly here - if Geno was on the Pats we would be laughing our collective azzes off at his ineptitude.     

My suspicion is jets will never know unless fitz gets hurt I see essentially 0 percent chance geno beat him out. He will seve as backup this year and be gone afterward if anyone is willing to give up a 7th for him.

It's beginning to look like I'm gunna bump this phuqin thread

I am not invested in the weather but doesn't stop me from making predictions. I hope Geno becomes an all pro. But I'm not betting on it. I also hope I win powerball, but I'm not cashing out my savings to buy tickets.

Fair enough.

Why the mods are allowing this re-thread to even be posted is beyond me.  This topic has been explored, debated and exhausted beyond belief.  In a year or two Geno will be in the arena league or the Canadian football league and there will be mindless fans on here imploring to bring him back because 'he has potential blah blah blah'.  Someone said it perfectly here - if Geno was on the Pats we would be laughing our collective azzes off at his ineptitude.     

Actually if Geno Smith was on the Pats he would never have started and spent the last two years on the bench learning from watching a hall of fame QB but don't let that get in the way of your narrative. No one is imploring anyone to bring him back; he is on the team and will be given every opportunity to compete for the starting job.  If he doesn't hack it he will be the back up and or cut. So this topic has be exhausted beyond belief but you felt the need to chime in, lol. By the way what are the winning lottery numbers, Swami? 

He can, but he probably won't.  For the record, the story that all those INTs against Buffalo is a joke.  That came from some story that they supposedly tried to simplify things by telling him to throw to Harvin.  I'm pretty sure that only one of the picks one was intended for Harvin.  I'm pretty sure one was to Cumberland.  Rex did it!

gus 'n' roses - appetite for destruction came out 27 years ago

**** you!

Post count, ****ers!

see that's the difference between you and me. i hope i am wrong and geno turns into a baller. bump it all you want we will all share a good laugh while watching geno in the pro bowl lol.

PREDICTING something will happen is not synonymous with WANTING it to happen. you have to divorce emotion from reason.

see that's the difference between you and me. i hope i am wrong and geno turns into a baller. bump it all you want we will all share a good laugh while watching geno in the pro bowl lol.

PREDICTING something will happen is not synonymous with WANTING it to happen. you have to divorce emotion from reason.

Do I have your permission to quote this post when Geno is starting for us 8 months from now?

Do I have your permission to quote this post when Geno is starting for us 8 months from now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDbyE7Gqfz8

In a nutshell, exactly what it means to be a Jet fan (no offense meant personally to the poster).  We've been hearing this same platitude as we suffered through Rex, Tebow, Sparano, Shoddy, Sanchez, McKnight, Obie, Walton, Bubby, Chad, Bollinger, and a million other scrubs. 

Listen to the words:  Geno doesn't have it.  The sooner you let go of the fantasy of him succeeding in the NFL, the better it will be for your recovery.

Huh??

I am not sure how you could have read what I wrote and gotten the impression I think he can succeed in the NFL.

In fact, I said the exact opposite, that he is not going to be a successful NFL QB.

Huh??

I am not sure how you could have read what I wrote and gotten the impression I think he can succeed in the NFL.

In fact, I said the exact opposite, that he is not going to be a successful NFL QB.

"...he is not going to be a successful NFL QB."

~ ~ agreed !   :mad0222:...hope we're wrong    :character0181:

Look at the receiving corp or lack there of that a 22 23 year old kid had to work with.

Look at the receiving corps Tom Brady has. C'mon Edelman, Amendola and LaFell scare no one in the deep passing game. They work the field horizontally and make yards after the catch. The Jets had Salas, Nelson, Kerley who are the same type of guy. It's just the Jets want to work vertically with guys that have no breakaway speed and an o-line that didn't give time for plays to develop. Tired of guys making excuses for Geno. He is dumb, dumb, dumb. He doesn't recognize blitzes or how to adjust his blocking. His screen passes are horrible - and scary - and he has no accuracy on the sideline out pattern.

Look at the receiving corps Tom Brady has. C'mon Edelman, Amendola and LaFell scare no one in the deep passing game. They work the field horizontally and make yards after the catch. The Jets had Salas, Nelson, Kerley who are the same type of guy. It's just the Jets want to work vertically with guys that have no breakaway speed and an o-line that didn't give time for plays to develop. Tired of guys making excuses for Geno. He is dumb, dumb, dumb. He doesn't recognize blitzes or how to adjust his blocking. His screen passes are horrible - and scary - and he has no accuracy on the sideline out pattern.

We are talking about Geno succeeding as an NFL QB.

Bringing up Tom Brady in this conversation is beyond ridiculous! Brady is considered by many now to be the best QB in NFL history in the Montana vs Brady debate.

Can Geno end up better than Dalton, Tannyhill, Foles, Carr, Bridgewater, that's the question we are asking.

Comparing what Geno is doing relative to his receivers to Brady a HOF QB is crazy.

We are talking about Geno succeeding as an NFL QB.

Bringing up Tom Brady in this conversation is beyond ridiculous! Brady is considered by many now to be the best QB in NFL history in the Montana vs Brady debate.

Can Geno end up better than Dalton, Tannyhill, Foles, Carr, Bridgewater, that's the question we are asking.

Comparing what Geno is doing relative to his receivers to Brady a HOF QB is crazy.

While I understand the point he was trying to make, I do have to agree with you... 

LOL...

Dwight-Schrute-Shakes-Head-and-Rolls-Eye

• 3 years later...
On 3/16/2015 at 7:32 AM, jgb said:

My suspicion is jets will never know unless fitz gets hurt I see essentially 0 percent chance geno beat him out. He will seve as backup this year and be gone afterward if anyone is willing to give up a 7th for him.

On 3/18/2015 at 9:15 AM, drdetroit said:

I gotcha bro!

Archived