Can Geno Smith Succeed???

neckdemon

Screw stats.  He was worse, because he made the same stupid mistakes and apparently lost his ability to tell time.  What a mook.  He sh*t the bed when it counted and his stats were padded in extended garbage time,  Give me an effin' break.  **** his completion percentage, perfect game and any other nonsensical horsehit you care to throw out there to justify his "performance".  He sucked ass, plain and simple.

I couldn't have articulated it more eloquently myself.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something to think about.  Geno played the pistol in college and took almost all of his snaps in the shotgun.  The NFL does have shotgun formations but not as often.  Everyone has a thing for Mariota but he is in the same situation.  Can take a few years to adjust to the NFL.  I was a Geno supporter but after his movies disaster I lost a lot of faith in him. 

We added Brandon Marshall which will help him.  We still need more help on offense.  I don't trust Colon on the OL and our OL is still old.  We lost Chris Johnson.  While he was not that great we still don't have a good #2 RB (Ivory is #1 and Powell is #3 in my opinion).  We still also need another good WR.  Not sure if we still have the weapons on offense for any QB we put on the team right now.

Ok we all know Geno has been wildly inconsistent. After being benched last year, he came back and, except for one game, played pretty well. The question is can he become a consistent NFL player? With the team this front office is putting together this is going to be a key question. QB is the wildcard, and there is no qb in this draft who is going to come in and be the franchise qb from the gate. Ih we draft Mariota he will need to sit, either behind Smith or Fitzpatrick (depending on who wins what should be a completely wide open qb competition this summer). Just for the hell of it take a look at Geno'd #'s his last 6 games (all the games after he came back from being benched) and his last 4 (the final games after his one poor game out of the last 6)

Last 6 :

completion percentage : 65.67%

yards/attempt : 8.62

TD% : 4.5%

Int% : 2.2%

Qb rating: 98.32

Last 4:

completion percentage : 65.14%

yards/attempt : 9.18

TD% : 5.5%

Int% : i.8%

Rating: 105.33

now the final 4, you could argue the stats are infalted by his one stellar game against the phags. but the phags had the #6 pass defense in the league and #12 defense overall. the question again is, can he do this consistently? can he win in training camp and play consistently good football? idk the answer, but if he does it, if he turns the corner and becomes a consistently decent qb, this team has a chance to be very very good.

I am hopeful, I will put it that way. I am not willing to write him off just yet.

Chan Gailey has elevated QBs before, really hope that is what happens here this year.

I am hopeful, I will put it that way. I am not willing to write him off just yet.

Chan Gailey has elevated QBs before, really hope that is what happens here this year.

You have gone beyond vanilla and have turned into oatmeal thinned out with Visine.  I know, it is your job.

Phil Simms comes to mind. he sucked his first 3 years or so..... I'm certain there are many.

That is interesting. I just looked Simms up, check this out:

After 2 seasons in the NFL had had thrown 28 TDs and 33 INTs

After 5 seasons 61 TDs and 61 INTs

After 7 seasons 104 TDs and 103 INTs

But in the last 7 seasons of his career he threw ...

95 TDs  and 54 INTs

Pretty nice rebound to a very mediocre start.

i was asked to find a qb the last 20 years who played similarly his first 2 seasons...brees actually fits the bill

Even if there is some merit, you do not continue to bet on a turd because once, under some perfect set of circumstances, a player with similar stats his first two years became a superstar.

Even if there is some merit, you do not continue to bet on a turd because once, under some perfect set of circumstances, a player with similar stats his first two years became a superstar.

In no way am I insinuating that geno will suddenly elevate his game to drew Brees level. What I am saying with my original post is that geno has shown the ability to be very good. It's not set in stone that he has to suck from now on because he's had an inconsistent (and at times very bad) first 2 years. I'm an optimist usually

Screw stats.  He was worse, because he made the same stupid mistakes and apparently lost his ability to tell time.  What a mook.  He sh*t the bed when it counted and his stats were padded in extended garbage time,  Give me an effin' break.  **** his completion percentage, perfect game and any other nonsensical horsehit you care to throw out there to justify his "performance".  He sucked ass, plain and simple.   

Ok, I can play the "let's throw out objective analysis and pull opinions out of our a$$" game with you. Geno was mediocre during the first month or so of the season and had a nice stretch of games to end the season. He was also horrendous for a couple of games in the middle of the season. If he can continue to cut down on his bad games , we should be ok. 

95 TDs  and 54 INTs

I remember watching him and he looked like a deer in the headlights even as late as 1983 at times.  He got benched for Scott Brunner.

Listen, Geno Smith has already in his short career had much better games than guys like Ponder, Locker, and a bunch of other stiffs that suck. If you've read the book outliers it takes hours of preparation & real game experience to perfect a craft. That's why so few QBs succeed now in the NFL. This is a win now league & that time frame that QBs in the past had sitting on the bench for three years is over. It's actually hurting the NFL because the top 1/8 of teams that have franchise QBs that are aging.

Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers.

You have 3 young studs in Rogers, Luck, Big Ben & Wilson (he's an anomaly as his movement makes him a better QB than he is)

Then you have Ryan, Newton.

After that it's just a bunch of holding pattern guys.

Not only was Geno thrust into the starting job by that ex idiot coach of ours playing Sanchez in the 4th quarter of a meaningless preseason game, that same coach is a buffoon when it comes to coaching a disciplined team. You only need to look at the home Miami game running 54 times without trying to throw for a TD?

Now that's the way you instill confidence in your QB, lol. He played well enough to win a game on the road in Greenbay, but our defense gave up a 96 yard drive to end the half. He played well enough to win both Patriot games, playing really well in Foxboro but Folk got a FG blocked. Then again at home in got us in FG range (long FG but he gave us a shot).

Other than the pick 6 to start the game in Minny we might have won that game if Ivory doesn't fumble on the f*cking 3 yard line & our defense gives up an OT TD on a six yard flare.

The Buffalo games were the worst (The Bills have a really good defense & pass rush that we couldn't handle) but keep in mind, Buffalo got BB to say uncle with Tom Brady in a meaningless game for the Pats. BB was like ok Tom sit over on the bench when they sacked him a couple of times.

Jets won the Chicago game, absolutely stolen by the refs on two horrendous calls (PI & Fumble recovery for a TD called back).

Football is a team game. The same guys saying Geno will fail for sure are the same Jet fans that say we had the worst roster in football last year.

What QB has ever had success with the worst roster? Only the best QB to ever play the game John Elway (I'll argue that all day long!)

No QB in the history of football carried his team on his back more than Elway! But I digress.

I have no idea whether Geno can get way better, but I certainly can't say he is 100% destined for failure. The Geno Smith story is really just beginning this year where for the 1st time he has a #1 & a #2 receiver, a TE in his 2nd year that hopefully can hold onto the f*cking ball & an OC that will put in a game plan that plays to his strengths.

Until he falls on his face with a complete offense I'm not ready to throw him into the junk heap like other people on this site.

Geno is/was a similar prospect to Mariota. He has the physical ability to play the position very well, but he came from a strange college system that left him ill-prepared for the NFL.

Then he gets drafted by a team where the OC runs a complicated system, the assistant coaches are inept, and the head coach doesn't give a sh*t about the offense whatsoever. The head coach is also not much of a disciplinarian.

On top of all of that, the team rushes him into starting when he clearly was not ready, and how did any of us (myself included) delude themselves into thinking he was going to pan out?

I say give the kid a chance. Despite mostly poor play, he has had some moments. Let's see if the new staff can get him to improve.

People can talk them selves into Geno not sucking but I have watched him.

Run backwards when being rushed, that's panic.

Come off the field and not look at any pictures or talk to anyone to try and figure out what the defense is doing.

The buffalo game which was the worst performance there has ever been for a QB. 2 for 8 with three pics In One quarter.

Defend that

Phil Simms comes to mind. he sucked his first 3 years or so..... I'm certain there are many.

LOL, thats like me for the longest time not getting used to the fact that 20 yrs ago wasn't the 1970s.

The last 20 years starts from 1995. Phil Simms retired in 1993, before our time frame

LOL, thats like me for the longest time not getting used to the fact that 20 yrs ago wasn't the 1970s.

The last 20 years starts from 1995. Phil Simms retired in 1993, before our time frame

if I do the math on the 80's, it's very depressing.  ewing played like 10 years ago, right ?

if I do the math on the 80's, it's very depressing.  ewing played like 10 years ago, right ?

What's really depressing is when someone says 15 yrs ago and you realize thats the year 2000.

In no way am I insinuating that geno will suddenly elevate his game to drew Brees level. What I am saying with my original post is that geno has shown the ability to be very good. It's not set in stone that he has to suck from now on because he's had an inconsistent (and at times very bad) first 2 years. I'm an optimist usually

Yeah we just disagree. I think he lacks the brain cells to ever be good.

Eli sucked for a few seasons at the start of his career and will end up a borderline HOFer.

Geno stinks though. Wildly inconsistent. Why are we talking about the jets backup QB (at best) though. Fitz is the starter unless we acquire someone.

Eli sucked for a few seasons at the start of his career and will end up a borderline HOFer.

No he didn't.  After finishing 34th in DVOA his 1st year, Eli was 9th his 2nd year.  Geno regressed from 31st to 40th in that category.  

People liked to use Eli to excuse Sanchez's horrific play too and it was a fallacy.  In basically every case bad QB's stay bad. 

Your better bet would be to use Alex Smith as an example.  This is how his career has played out by DVOA:

2005:  46th

2006:  35th

2007:  49th

2008:  Did Not Play

2009:  27th

2010:  33rd

2011:  14th

2012:  9th

2013:  17th

2014:  18th

So we just need to wait 4 more years for a Harbaugh-esque QB whisperer to show up and make Geno an average-slightly above average QB.  Awesome!

95 TDs  and 54 INTs

It also helped that he played in the pre salary cap era when teams could actually be built and allowed to build consistency.  That's why I have a hard time comparing any player from that era to now. 

Come off the field and not look at any pictures or talk to anyone to try and figure out what the defense is doing.

The buffalo game which was the worst performance there has ever been for a QB. 2 for 8 with three pics In One quarter.

Defend that

Coaching and the surrounding staff have a lot to do what that aspect. Sure he should be taking the initiative but the coahes should have been in his grill drilling this stuff in - not at Camp rexy though. 

Coaching and the surrounding staff have a lot to do what that aspect. Sure he should be taking the initiative but the coahes should have been in his grill drilling this stuff in - not at Camp rexy though. 

Defend that

Lol, no one is talking themselves into anything.  We are just the patient ones who realize that our NEW COACH is going to give an opportunity to show if he can do the job and if can't he will be a back up and probably not on the team next year.  I have seen plenty of young qbs make stupid mistakes like running backwards because they think they are still in college and can out run defenders.  That can be corrected but just having it drilled into his head to avoid losing field position in situations like that or his ass sits.   Remember he should never have been starting because he wasn't ready.  

To your second point, if you think that is true you are wrong.  Just because a camera pans the sideline and you don't see it, doesn't mean he isn't talking with OC and others on the sideline.   The camera is focused on the field of play not the sideline.    

Lastly, any player can have a bad game or quarter or even half.   Especially a young player who probably should have been on the sidelines watching Vick last season.  If you rightly criticize him for that game, why not give him credit against Miami especially the last game of the season against a team who still was fighting to make the playoffs?   In fact his last 4 games were decent and he dramatically cut down on turnovers.  Because you have already mentally written him off.  Well thank goodness our CS and FO are smart enough to see what they can do with him before making any final judgments.  It is not like they have a whole lot of alternatives and it possible they get lucky and the kid becomes a decent qb. 

Archived