sooo, what are the expectations for bowles and company this year?

ylekram

1. totally rebuilt, very expensive, talented defensive backfield -check

2. talented #1 wide receiver - check

3 improved offensive guard position - check

4. adequate back up qb with starting capability - check

5. adequate linebackers and a nasty d-line - check

6. bunch of rookies/2nd year players either coming back from injury or having a season under their belt - check

7. geno coming off a decent last quarter stretch last year - check

8. aboushi making strides - check

lots of good stuff going on for the jets this year. they still have some needs(olb, running back, right tackle, franchise qb) but mac filled quite a few holes and still have 4 early round draft picks.

the jets went 4-12 last year. with a somewhat revamped team, what are the expectations for the jets and bowles?

does a slight improvement(6-10, 7-9) make you feel good with bowles?

how would an 8-8 or a 9-7 record without a playoff spot leave you feeling about bowles?

or is it playoffs or bust?

I like the bowles hire. I really do. however, he is still a 1st time head coach(like so many others recently) and has a lot to prove to me, anyways. hopefully, woody and company made the right choice here, but I guess we will have to see how this plays out

for me, unless a catastrophic injury bug invades the team, I think I gotta see atleast 8-8 or 9-7

1. totally rebuilt, very expensive, talented defensive backfield -check

2. talented #1 wide receiver - check

3 improved offensive guard position - check

4. adequate back up qb with starting capability - check

5. adequate linebackers and a nasty d-line - check

6. bunch of rookies/2nd year players either coming back from injury or having a season under their belt - check

7. geno coming off a decent last quarter stretch last year - check

8. aboushi making strides - check

lots of good stuff going on for the jets this year. they still have some needs(olb, running back, right tackle, franchise qb) but mac filled quite a few holes and still have 4 early round draft picks.

the jets went 4-12 last year. with a somewhat revamped team, what are the expectations for the jets and bowles?

does a slight improvement(6-10, 7-9) make you feel good with bowles?

how would an 8-8 or a 9-7 record without a playoff spot leave you feeling about bowles?

or is it playoffs or bust?

I like the bowles hire. I really do. however, he is still a 1st time head coach(like so many others recently) and has a lot to prove to me, anyways. hopefully, woody and company made the right choice here, but I guess we will have to see how this plays out

for me, unless a catastrophic injury bug invades the team, I think I gotta see atleast 8-8 or 9-7

8-8? You mean I'm not going to be a depressed a$$hole for 8 Sundays instead of 4? Awesome.

10 games should/could be playoffs,no?

Its hard to make the Playoffs as the 2nd best Team in your Division. The Pats will most likely be taking that crown again. We can have a Situation like the Eagles this year or the Cardinals last year. If im correct, the Cards won 10 games last year and missed the Playoffs. 10 wins makes you a Playoff-type Team. Doesnt guarantee you a spot though. Winning 10 games makes a Statement when coming from 4 the year Prior.

Early to say (no idea who our QB is yet or what we do in the draft). But right now I'm feeling they'd better at least be in the playoff hunt. We play a last place schedule and have made major upgrades. I shouldn't jinx it but I think Bowles will have an excellent 1st year.

We dont have a QB. If Bowles and Mac trade for a starting QB then expectations will Change

call me crazy or stupid, but I feel a lot better about the qb situation this year than I have in many years.i know you like glennon and fyi, so do I, but I think it is a pipe dream right about now. if I was running the tampa show, there is no way I trade glennon on his rookie deal even if I grab Winston. it would just be a dumb move for them. mac brought in Harvard, he might not be the final answer for sure, but I don't hink he is the liability that the jets front office has been bringing in for years. imo, he is the perfect stop gap, game managing type that this franchise desperately needs at this point in time, considering our options. a real qb competition for geno. geno entering his 3 year and coming off a quarter of a season with adequate play, I don't know, I guess I am not as terrified entering the season with these 2 as I normally am

call me crazy or stupid, but I feel a lot better about the qb situation this year than I have in many years.i know you like glennon and fyi, so do I, but I think it is a pipe dream right about now. if I was running the tampa show, there is no way I trade glennon on his rookie deal even if I grab Winston. it would just be a dumb move for them. mac brought in Harvard, he might not be the final answer for sure, but I don't hink he is the liability that the jets front office has been bringing in for years. imo, he is the perfect stop gap, game managing type that this franchise desperately needs at this point in time, considering our options. a real qb competition for geno. geno entering his 3 year and coming off a quarter of a season with adequate play, I don't know, I guess I am not as terrified entering the season with these 2 as I normally am

Im not satisfied with stop gaps, even if they're ivy league. Find a way to get a QB, period.

At this point of the season, given the moves MM has made, I have to put a stake in the ground and say playoffs is the goal.  They'll need decent play from the QB position but everything else is good enough to go.  I wouldn't even rule the division out simply because NE hasn't gotten better and probably got a little weaker and it's 16 'any given Sunday's.  The biggest threat this season to playoffs isn't even NE as much as the fact that all four teams in the AFCE are tough and there are no gimme games for anyone.

10--6 is probably the division winner's record this year.

Im not satisfied with stop gaps, even if they're ivy league. Find a way to get a QB, period.

sure, a true franchise qb is the way to go. unfortunetly, the jets have been without one for many, many years. I just don't see a better solution this year

sorry. don't know how this got into my post

At this point of the season, given the moves MM has made, I have to put a stake in the ground and say playoffs is the goal.  They'll need decent play from the QB position but everything else is good enough to go.  I wouldn't even rule the division out simply because NE hasn't gotten better and probably got a little weaker and it's 16 'any given Sunday's.  The biggest threat this season to playoffs isn't even NE as much as the fact that all four teams in the AFCE are tough and there are no gimme games for anyone.

10--6 is probably the division winner's record this year.

I don't think new England has ever gone 10-6 in the last decade

sure, a true franchise qb is the way to go. unfortunetly, the jets have been without one for many, many years. I just don't see a better solution this year

They've been without one for decades, yet there has been plenty of Franchise QB's to enter the league over the years. That lets me know that it isnt a Situation where the Jets have been in a Position where there simply was None, they just havent found a way to get one. Its been almost 50 years, the excuses are over. Find a QB. A Franchise QB doesnt have to be a top 5 QB in the league. A Franchise QB is a QB that can get the win. I dont care how its done, just get it done.

It's all about how we come out of the gate.

Playing uphill with so many new parts is not easy. In the NFL confidence plays a large part.

I think when you remake an entire secondary like we have it will take time to jell but Revis will ball right out of the gate & Cro knows what's expected in Bowles defense.

So it that sense on the corners we come out flying, but the LBs & Safeties will be key to get up to speed quickly.

Defenses are usually ahead of offenses early in the season that bodes well for us.

Buffalo is the best defense we will face next year.

The schedule is really favorable, basically getting to play Miami in London, playing the Giants at MetLife as the visitor.

Toughest road games...Pats, Indy, Bills, Eagles.

I think this will be the year we get better as the year progresses & if you can win some close games & a couple road games vs good competition anything can happen.

It's all about how we come out of the gate.

Playing uphill with so many new parts is not easy. In the NFL confidence plays a large part.

I think when you remake an entire secondary like we have it will take time to jell but Revis will ball right out of the gate & Cro knows what's expected in Bowles defense.

So it that sense on the corners we come out flying, but the LBs & Safeties will be key to get up to speed quickly.

Defenses are usually ahead of offenses early in the season that bodes well for us.

Buffalo is the best defense we will face next year.

The schedule is really favorable, basically getting to play Miami in London, playing the Giants at MetLife as the visitor.

Toughest road games...Pats, Indy, Bills, Eagles.

I think this will be the year we get better as the year progresses & if you can win some close games & a couple road games vs good competition anything can happen.

Safety is definitely a sore spot but maybe can be sheltered by the CB's as before..

Safety is definitely a sore spot but maybe can be sheltered by the CB's as before..

Having Revis instantly adds another defender to cover somewhere else, and in Bowles defense that's huge if he's playing This Big Nickel. That adds another defender to stop whatever else might be working for the opposition or he can use that extra player as a blitzer to hurry up the opposing QB.

When this really helps is on 3rd down & long because you force the QB to throw quickly which gives the LBs & safeties the opportunity to make tackles before the sticks.

Our 3rd down efficiency on defense should shoot through the roof compared to last year, which allows your offense to run the ball & that protects your QB.

Each facet of football that you improve in improves another facet of your team & so on.

I think we can win 10 games this year. This is an easy schedule. We play the Browns jags raiders redskins and titans. That should be 5 wins right there, I figure we can split each of our divisional games, and maybe sneak out a win against Indy and Houston. Probably the easiest possible schedule.

Realistically, I expect 9. I expect at least two starters day 1 from the draft, OL and OLB. And I expect to see some halftime adjustments during games; something we haven't seen in, I don't know, maybe 6 years?

I think with slightly above average QB play, the Jets can win 10 games and make a run at a playoff spot. Its all contingent on the QB, whoever it might be.  An average QB almost always translates into an average year.   Not sure either of our current QB's have it in them to rise above their career stat lines but time will tell.  Despite 40 years of torture as a Jets fan, I'm the eternal optimist.

Crazy and stupid ok with you?

The Jets can stop the run. They now will be able to contain the passing game with the threat of making turnovers. Not getting picks and forcing fumbles has hurt the Jets over the Ryan years. The secondary looks like they have the potential to have the QB hold the ball a split second longer.

On offense the Jets can run the ball. They have added in some help to their own passing game. A speedy WR who can catch (remember Hill?) and a RB who can make plays with open space from the draft or camp cuts is very possible. Also winning games at home. Huge that the Jets cannot sustain that.

With the current QB play and players 8 and 8 is a very realistic number. Make a few turnovers here and there and they could make the playoffs which I think is really the goal.

Having Revis instantly adds another defender to cover somewhere else, and in Bowles defense that's huge if he's playing This Big Nickel. That adds another defender to stop whatever else might be working for the opposition or he can use that extra player as a blitzer to hurry up the opposing QB.

When this really helps is on 3rd down & long because you force the QB to throw quickly which gives the LBs & safeties the opportunity to make tackles before the sticks.

Our 3rd down efficiency on defense should shoot through the roof compared to last year, which allows your offense to run the ball & that protects your QB.

Each facet of football that you improve in improves another facet of your team & so on.

Agree. Rex did the same although the pass rusher has alluded them. Whether it was the 3-4 I don't know but blitzing was used to compensate for the lack of pass rush.

Every year I go into the season hopeful that something will change and it never does. At the end of a bad season I think why did I have hope in the first place? Why did I think Rex would learn or Mornhinweg would change the offense? Why did I think that minimal roster Improvements would work? This year is different. No Rex. No Mornhinweg. No wildcat. No scrubs in man coverage. A true #1 receiver. A scheme. A plan. Accountability. I am very excited to see this Jets team and I think it's for good reason. So short answer I think they at least make a push for the playoffs.

Archived