Milliner to be traded?

DaBallhawk

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-hobbled-dee-milliner-forgotten-corner-jets-article-1.2153245

However, the Jets have told interested teams that Milliner isn’t available at a drastically discounted price . . . yet, according to sources. Although the Jets aren’t actively shopping Milliner, it’s fair to wonder whether Maccagnan would part ways with a player betrayed by his body at such a young age if the price is right. For now, the Jets are content waiting for the third-year player to get healthy to properly evaluate him as he competes for the No. 4 cornerback spot. A trade down the road, however, has not been ruled out, according to sources.

It obviously makes sense considering how crowded we are at CB.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought about this the other day...it would be crazy to move the guy until he gets back on the field and stays healthy for a little bit.  Otherwise you could be giving away a first round talent for pennies on the dollar.

Tough call. If Milliner somehow stays healthy he is going to be a good player and make the jets look stupid for trading him for a 7th rd pick.

Agreed . Kid is young and cheap still has plenty upside . They gain nothing by trading him especially in a league where CB are premium

Agreed . Kid is young and cheap still has plenty upside . They gain nothing by trading him especially in a league where CB are premium

Yeah this is the only reason I was opposed to signing both Skrine and Cro. I wanted one but not both. That way Milliner and McDougle have a chance to compete for the nickel if they're healthy.

Thought about this the other day...it would be crazy to move the guy until he gets back on the field and stays healthy for a little bit. Otherwise you could be giving away a first round talent for pennies on the dollar.

Agreed. Corner is too important of a position to trade away a young one with 1st round talent and potential for less than what he's worth.

With Revis and Cro there's no rush to get Milliner back on the field, so bring him along at his own pace, let him take his time so when he is ready we'll have flexibility at the position and a cheaper option to take over for possibly Cro in a couple years.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

No way to trading him.  We have 30+ yr old corners and we will need Milliner to recover, rehab and develop his game so he can start 2 or 3 years from now.  The potential is there and it's not worth giving him up for a 6th or 7th round pick.

Everyone talking about "we're gonna need him in three years!" should realize he's not going to be here in three years. You really think the Jets are going to pick up an expensive fifth year option on a guy that's been the 4th corner for two years? Revis and Cro spelled the end for Milliner. He was their supposed heir apparent once. He won't be twice.

Typically you dont trade him, however, it depends what the compensation is. It can't be just draft picks, it has to be a player(s) involved. Hopefully they're willing to listen to a few offers, however they should be blown away by the offer in order to pull the trigger. 

No need to trade him at this time.  Bowles loves playing with DB;s all over the field so depth is important.  He is at his lowest value right now so why trade someone that has talent like him?   Let him get healthy and learn from Revis.

Nothing to see here.  If Milliner can stay healthy we are going to need him down the road.  

Yup. Revis and Cro dont have many great years left. Hopefully Dee and Dex can develop and be ready to take over when the time is right..+ bowles plays with a ton of DBs. 

Everyone talking about "we're gonna need him in three years!" should realize he's not going to be here in three years. You really think the Jets are going to pick up an expensive fifth year option on a guy that's been the 4th corner for two years? Revis and Cro spelled the end for Milliner. He was their supposed heir apparent once. He won't be twice.

Cro is shot and will be cut in 2 years.  Revis will hold out in 2 years.  Milliner is more likely to be here than either. 

I'm surprised no one is happy with this news, but I get the points about waiting until he heals from this last injury. Also, his contract is cheap so no big deal keeping him around.

Milliner sucked before, during, and after his injuries THEN blew his ACL. Based on a physically healthy Milliner, I'd trade him for a bag of kicking tees.

A trade can never be ruled out but why would they trade him as they could get nothing for him, given his injury history, and he still has some real upside?  Don't know what his contract is like, but I can't see them trading him for a 6th round pick, which is likely what they might get.

Typically you dont trade him, however, it depends what the compensation is. It can't be just draft picks, it has to be a player(s) involved. Hopefully they're willing to listen to a few offers, however they should be blown away by the offer in order to pull the trigger. 

Would you trade him for Glennon?

I'm surprised no one is happy with this news, but I get the points about waiting until he heals from this last injury. Also, his contract is cheap so no big deal keeping him around.

Milliner sucked before, during, and after his injuries THEN blew his ACL. Based on a physically healthy Milliner, I'd trade him for a bag of kicking tees.

He did actually look good down the stretch of his rookie year when he took over the #1 job from Cro. Prior to that, yes, he looked like crap, and didn't look great before he got hurt last year.

And he tore his Achilles, McDougle blew out his ACL.

achilles injuries are devastating for CBs who must shift and turn on a dime.  It can take more than a full year to get back to even close to normal.  anything we get from Milliner this season is just gravy.  We won't be able to see just how productive he can be until next year.  The guy needs his own personal orthopedic surgeon.

Thanks Idzik.  Perhaps all of his prior surgeries should have been factored in to the decision to draft him at #9.

Nothing to see here.  If Milliner can stay healthy we are going to need him down the road.  

"If" being the key word here. He has never shown that ability and I doubt he ever will. If anybody has a decent trade offer for us I'd move on from Milliner.

Let the Kid get healthy and coached up by Bowles and learn from Revis and Cro and see what he can do once he is healthy.

This. He has been rushed back from injuries his first two years. Now he can get completely healthy and learn from the best CBs in the game. I could see him making a serious contribution at some point this year. 

Trading Milliner would be idiotic.  Mike Maccacgnan is not an idiot.

Well put, and very true. Hopefully, with the NCAA starting, the Masters right around the corner, and baseball here as well, this type of crap won't be seeing the light of day any more.

Cro is shot and will be cut in 2 years.  Revis will hold out in 2 years.  Milliner is more likely to be here than either. 

Cro will likely still have half his contract guaranteed 2 years from now ($4M). Therefore they would eat all that to cut him. He'd have to be retired or an outright liability on the field to do that. That's how nutty this contract was.

Revis isn't holding out in 2 years. He's due $15M. He'd have to think someone else would offer him $20M (at age 32) to do that. Players hold out in down years of their contracts, not when they're due $15M in new money.

If Milliner can somehow garner a 2nd rounder (anywhere in the round) he has to be moved. This was done as soon as Cromartie finished signing his mark on the contract. You don't hold onto a 2nd/3rd rounder to be the team's #4 corner right after dishing out multi-year guaranteed deals to three others. And #4 presumes he'll even end up ahead of McDougle. 

Pretend we didn't have him on the roster already, and we had a pair of 2nd rounders instead of only 1. Keep in mind that gives us 6 picks total, but 4 of them are in the top 70.

• No change with our QB situation (32-33 year old Fitz on a 1-year deal, Geno Smith, and friggin' Simms). As likely as not, both of the top 2 QBs will be gone by our pick at #6 and the next prospect is supposedly a steep drop after that.
  • Holes at OLB on both sides
  • An aging LT who's been getting worse for a couple of years already and who carries $14M cap hits next year and the year after.
  • Don't exactly have studs with known/secure futures at LG or RT either.

Knowing all that, you're telling me that today you'd advocate trading a late 2nd rounder (or even a 3rd rounder) for Milliner, coming off a ruptured Achilles, to be an injury-prone backup for 2 seasons, after which time he'll be a free agent anyway? Because failing to move him for such a pick is the same thing.

If anyone would offer up even a late 2nd for him, I 100% guarantee you it won't be a team that just signed expensive veteran contracts to 4 DBs (and bring back a healthy 1st rounder from the prior season). You have to put it out of your mind that we drafted him #9 in the country. The time to get emotional about that is before signing Cromartie. After that, Milliner is an extra piece no matter what fluff or secret sauce people speak of regarding how many DBs Bowles likes to trot out in his base defense.

Milliner is very much in play right now, unless we just get dogsh*t offers for him. Certainly the highest bidder offering at least a mid-3rd should get him, if we get an offer that high.

Archived