Milliner to be traded?

DaBallhawk

Yeah the only difference is Bradford at least has shown he has potential when healthy and he's a QB.  Not so much for Milliner.

You're right though.  You never know.  But I'd be shocked if it happened, dont think it will, they'd the Jets would get anything higher than a 5th (which I personally wouldnt do).

And one could argue Milliner started to show his potential in December of his rookie year after a rocky start. Eye of the beholder and all that: people see what they want to see.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone talking about "we're gonna need him in three years!" should realize he's not going to be here in three years. You really think the Jets are going to pick up an expensive fifth year option on a guy that's been the 4th corner for two years? Revis and Cro spelled the end for Milliner. He was their supposed heir apparent once. He won't be twice.

Best post of the thread. Not sure where I stand on this yet, but the Jets have received nothing in return for their investment on him yet. If they have received inquiries, as in multiple, the price might auction up to a mid-rounder, probably good enough to sell on an injury-prone player that only played one month of good football and is coming off the most devastating injury at his respective position.

If we can find anyone stupid enough to give us a second round pick for this scrub, who in the small amount of time he's been able to stay on the field still routinely bites on the play fake and makes Kyle Wilson look viable, we should see if they have a starting QB they'd want to deal as well.  

I think reading into Maccagnan's response this is what he's seeking. If the top offer is a 3rd, maybe where in the 3rd pushes him one way or the other. 

But clearly for the right price Milliner's gone. No one gives a squishy answer to a direct question the way he did unless he wants trade offers. 

Just like he was wrestling over the decision to tag Harrison with a 1 or a 2. He wants the pick; $1M in cap room is too easy to recreate elsewhere if he valued the player more than the pick. He wants a high 2 and would negotiate with a team with a top 50 pick if tagged higher, but he might not even get phone calls in the first place if he'd tagged him with a 1. Ultimately he would rather have a low 2 than the player.

And he said we're not just going to give him away for nothing (however he worded it). But clearly he wants to trade Milliner.

Best post of the thread. Not sure where I stand on this yet, but the Jets have received nothing in return for their investment on him yet. If they have received inquiries, as in multiple, the price might auction up to a mid-rounder, probably good enough to sell on an injury-prone player that only played one month of good football and is coming off the most devastating injury at his respective position.

This is what I've been saying, however many more words it takes me.

If he's not worth a 3rd (or whatever we can get) to someone else who needs a starting corner (or even a slot corner) why should he be worth that to the Jets who have no starter needs? The only reason is an emotional attachment because we were the ones who drafted him #9 overall. 

On paper he should be of less value to us than pretty much any other team in the league. Would we be seeking to trade for him if he wasn't already here? No way.

"No" to trading either Milliner or McDougle.

In the modern NFL, one think you can't have enough depth at is Cornerback, and our #1 and especially our #2/#3 (I think Cro is a #3 at this point, others disagree), are old and on the downside of their careers now.

Sorry Revis fanbois, but he's not 20 anymore.  He hasn't been "Revis Island" since he was hurt, and he won't stay elite for much longer either.  Time and wear rules all.

So rather than trade a #1 pick for nothing because he's been injury prone, you keep him (he's cheap enough) and move him to nickel and groom him under Revis/Cro till those guys inevitable wearout (or another injury or hold-out) happens.

What is Milliner worth really, in this NFL, today?  A 7th?  Next year?  Maybe?

No, keep the two (thus far disappointing) kids, and see how they do this year/next.  Then cut bait or start when Cro (at least) is worn out and gone.

GM's asking about Milliner is completely understandable.  That's a great buy-low, roll the dice proposition,  Just probing in case they catch MacCaggnan having a mini-stroke.  Trading Milliner now makes no sense whatsoever.

Sure it does, if someone will offer a high enough pick. We're not moving him for a late rounder; he's worth that as a backup.

But he won't get that chance unless someone else gets injured and he stays healthy and he performs well on top of that. 

The team is better off taking a 2nd-3rd (if we can even get that) and drafting an extra QB than using it on an extra CB.

Based on his current status of coming of a severe injury, sight unseen, there's no way anyone would offer more than a late rounder for him right now, so trading him would be a moot point.  The only way he gets to a place where he would command an lower  round pick in trade would be if he, as you said, performs well in extended playing time due to a starter's injury during the upcoming season.  But at that point, he would probably have more value to the Jets than whatever they could get back for him.

Agreed . Kid is young and cheap still has plenty upside . They gain nothing by trading him especially in a league where CB are premium

Agree that you keep him.  CBs are too hard to find.  I like him as a player, but the injury he suffered is a really bad one, so his upside probably isn't as high as it used to be.

In three years, the Jets could be looking to dump Cromartie's contract at a minimal cost, and if Milliner rebounds well enough, we would have a recovered and better developed Milliner to take his role on his still rookie contract.

I don't think Milliner is going anywhere, there is value in keeping him on the team, and in 3 years if he gets healthy and recovers.  He's young, it will take a little time, maybe another year, but he can rebound from that Achilles injury.

We'd be selling low, but hey, things always can and usually do get worse. As long as we can get a fifth or sixth or something we're just shifting a rookie contract from somewhere on the depth chart it has no shot to stick to someplace where it does.

If he hangs around you think there's a chance he's cut?

I'm surprised no one is happy with this news, but I get the points about waiting until he heals from this last injury. Also, his contract is cheap so no big deal keeping him around.

Milliner sucked before, during, and after his injuries THEN blew his ACL. Based on a physically healthy Milliner, I'd trade him for a bag of kicking tees.

obviously you did not watch the last 4 games of his rookie season!

In three years, the Jets could be looking to dump Cromartie's contract at a minimal cost, and if Milliner rebounds well enough, we would have a recovered and better developed Milliner to take his role on his still rookie contract.

I don't think Milliner is going anywhere, there is value in keeping him on the team, and in 3 years if he gets healthy and recovers. He's young, it will take a little time, maybe another year, but he can rebound from that Achilles injury.

In two years...in three years..?

Dee Milliner could be out of the NFL in that timeframe. I am not advocating to sell him for a 7th. At that price I agree it is better to keep him. However if a team offers a conditional 4th or maybe a 5th, I would give it serious consideration. He played 4 games of good football against lousy competition. He has been poor or hurt the rest of the time. If, and it is a big if, he ever recovers fully.. he will only get a trial year or two extension. The guy is not worth a 2 or 3 year investment when he could be released as soon as the end of this season, which when he assuredly will be worth zilch.

He has shown nothing to make anyone think his ceiling is any better than a serviceable #2 corner. And that is his ceiling. His floor is really, really low. Like Kyle Wilson or outta the league entirely.

Milliner is not going to become Deion Sanders. The Jets will not look foolish if they get a 5th and he becomes an average starting #2.

Milliner is garbage ... Did any of you actually watch this guy play ? Please don't tell me about the last 4 games of 13 cause that was against some really sub par competition the rest of the season he got torched, showed terrible technique and was benched numerous times. Sure he's young and very well deserves a chance to right himself basically cause he was the 9th pick in the draft but he's not going to surprise anyone. Even if he does start to make some plays what I see is a player who is going to be high risk little reward, meaning he will make some big plays from time to time but will be wildly inconsistent.

In two years...in three years..?

Dee Milliner could be out of the NFL in that timeframe. I am not advocating to sell him for a 7th. At that price I agree it is better to keep him. However if a team offers a conditional 4th or maybe a 5th, I would give it serious consideration. He played 4 games of good football against lousy competition. He has been poor or hurt the rest of the time. If, and it is a big if, he ever recovers fully.. he will only get a trial year or two extension. The guy is not worth a 2 or 3 year investment when he could be released as soon as the end of this season, which when he assuredly will be worth zilch.

He has shown nothing to make anyone think his ceiling is any better than a serviceable #2 corner. And that is his ceiling. His floor is really, really low. Like Kyle Wilson or outta the league entirely.

Milliner is not going to become Deion Sanders. The Jets will not look foolish if they get a 5th and he becomes an average starting #2.

exactly I would take a 5th in a heart beat

Funny thing is Kyle Wilson has good cover skills and technique but the one thing the didn't do that was maddening was turn for the football. like EVER turn for the football, and that's what defines him and makes him much less a player than he could be.

Based on his current status of coming of a severe injury, sight unseen, there's no way anyone would offer more than a late rounder for him right now, so trading him would be a moot point.  The only way he gets to a place where he would command an lower  round pick in trade would be if he, as you said, performs well in extended playing time due to a starter's injury during the upcoming season.  But at that point, he would probably have more value to the Jets than whatever they could get back for him.

So what's the argument? We'll let him go if we can get a good pick and if no one makes such an offer we'll keep him.  Maccagnan more or less said just that with his (appropriately) mushy answer.

Millner was a horrible draft pick when we selected him, and it looks even worse now. That said, trading him for a late round pick at this point is pointless. See if he can come back from his injury and see if he can become a solid CB before giving him away for a speical teams player. 

Archived