Milliner to be traded?

DaBallhawk

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, we are happy if a team offered a conditional 4th rounder? Seriously? He is supremely talented. Health is a concern, but Im sure he'll get better later on.

You're SURE he'll get better!?!? Were you sure that Kyle Wilson, Vernon Gholston, and Dewayne Robertson would get better too?

I bet you would take a 5th in a heartbeat for any of those 3 now after their 2nd season.

Just crazy talk about dumping Milliner for a late round pick, horrible asset management, horrible depth management and a potential like guy we will be looking to sign in two years when Cro is tossed to the side.  Everyone and their dog wanted Kareem Jackson, a guy that had a very rocky 1st few years.

The guy has injury issues and played like a rookie the 1st 2/3 of his rookie year when exposed to rex's high risk CB plan.  He really looked great the last 5 games of that year however.  We should be in no hurry to dump this guy, there is really no reason at all.

You're SURE he'll get better!?!? Were you sure that Kyle Wilson, Vernon Gholston, and Dewayne Robertson would get better too?

I bet you would take a 5th in a heartbeat for any of those 3 now after their 2nd season.

Because he showed a string of really good play the last 5 games of his rookie year that is why.

Just crazy talk about dumping Milliner for a late round pick, horrible asset management, horrible depth management and a potential like guy we will be looking to sign in two years when Cro is tossed to the side. Everyone and their dog wanted Kareem Jackson, a guy that had a very rocky 1st few years.

The guy has injury issues and played like a rookie the 1st 2/3 of his rookie year when exposed to rex's high risk CB plan. He really looked great the last 5 games of that year however. We should be in no hurry to dump this guy, there is really no reason at all.

I can think of at least four.

1. Revis

2. Cromartie

3. Skrine

4. Jets

Yeah I can't agree with that one either. If we're so SURE he'll get better then we had no business blocking him from a starting position with 3 contracts that guarantee the job to 3 other people for the next 2+ seasons (through the end of Milliner's contract).

Yeah I can't agree with that one either. If we're so SURE he'll get better then we had no business blocking him from a starting position with 3 contracts that guarantee the job to 3 other people for the next 2+ seasons (through the end of Milliner's contract).

We aren't 'Sure' thus the players brought in.  It doesn't mean you give up on a player that early.  Skrine is a slot guy, Gilchrist is a safety, Revis is the #1 guy Cro is an injury risk.  Why not a) have some depth in case of injury and B) let a guy heal and perhaps at least be a good depth guy.  Our depth in the secondary is one reason this team stunk last year.  no need to toss a guy just becasue you are upset that he has been hurt and not turned out so far.

We aren't 'Sure' thus the players brought in. It doesn't mean you give up on a player that early. Skrine is a slot guy, Gilchrist is a safety, Revis is the #1 guy Cro is an injury risk. Why not a) have some depth in case of injury and B) let a guy heal and perhaps at least be a good depth guy. Our depth in the secondary is one reason this team stunk last year. no need to toss a guy just becasue you are upset that he has been hurt and not turned out so far.

Who's upset? I'd rather have played him.

We aren't 'Sure' thus the players brought in.  It doesn't mean you give up on a player that early.  Skrine is a slot guy, Gilchrist is a safety, Revis is the #1 guy Cro is an injury risk.  Why not a) have some depth in case of injury and B) let a guy heal and perhaps at least be a good depth guy.  Our depth in the secondary is one reason this team stunk last year.  no need to toss a guy just becasue you are upset that he has been hurt and not turned out so far.

What does being upset have to do with anything? And I'm not the one tossing him; Maccagnan is, unless we don't get any serious offer.

The size of Cromartie's contract says they're moving on. Maccagnan's statement acknowledges it further, if one reads between the lines. Essentially that we're not dumping him for a 5th/6th because then we'd still need to burn that 5th/6th on a new CB depth pick (and one without Milliner's upside potential).

The size of Cromartie's contract last year is what a team does when they're not sure but don't want to gamble the season on him (or McDougle).

Milner has value until his rookie contract expires.

He is more athletically gifted than most #4 or #5 CBs and is incredibly cheap for what - debatable nor not - was regarded a top 10 talent 2 years ago.

To trade him now is absurd considering the age of the newly signed FA CBs and the new coaching staff is yet to evaluate him on the field IN THEIR DEFENSIVE SCHEME. Right now we have excellent CB talent & depth from the #1 through the #5 CB slots. Don't weaken a position of strength when there's no guarantee of an immediate upgrade

So all the Milliner haters want get rid of the 9th overall pick before we can really see whether or not he develops. Not smart.

Dude - we just got rid of the 29th overall pick of the 2010 draft who, regrettably, tried to play the same position - for nothing. 

If we can recoup anything here, lets do it.

So all the Milliner haters want get rid of the 9th overall pick before we can really see whether or not he develops. Not smart.

Again, my preference would have been to start Milliner across from Revis and see whether he develops. If we're not going to do that we might as well trade him. We just promote McDougle to Still Not Playing and Marcus Williams to Still Not Playing Either and whatever draft pick we get is basically free. If he turns into something somewhere else it doesn't mean he would have here.

Dude - we just got rid of the 29th overall pick of the 2010 draft who, regrettably, tried to play the same position - for nothing. 

If we can recoup anything here, lets do it.

We did not get rid of him, he played out his contract and wasn't worth resigning. That's after 5 years of full season evaluations. Wilson was not considered EVER a top 10 draft talent unlike Dee.

Millner has not even played 1 full season yet. To ship him off for a low draft pick is utterly stupid and consistent with the majority of short-sighted Jets fans. Has he disappointed thus far, yes? But way too early to jump ship. Hell, Vernon lasted 3 years until being written off and that was at a exponentially high pre-2011 CBA rookie contract

Milliner was drafted to make an immediate impact so far he has failed if him and McDougle dont get healthy and on the field they will both be former NY Jets sooner than later this isn't Rex Ryans Country Club where you spend camp riding a stationary bike on the sidelines. 

Again, my preference would have been to start Milliner across from Revis and see whether he develops. If we're not going to do that we might as well trade him. We just promote McDougle to Still Not Playing and Marcus Williams to Still Not Playing Either and whatever draft pick we get is basically free. If he turns into something somewhere else it doesn't mean he would have here.

Hasn't our medical staff been pretty good on evals? They may feel like he's a lost cause.

If the only offer we get is a 6th then we keep him.

Your assessment notwithstanding, history has shown there will always be some team willing to give up something for a former top 10 pick entering his 3rd season if he's healthy (passes a physical) and if he doesn't have off-field issues (Milliner has none).  That he's got so much talent all he needs is their brilliant coaching. Especially given the economics of the CB position nowadays.

It's obvious Jets made the decision to move on from Milliner when they signed Cromartie to that kookie multi-year deal. 

Sperm, I would agree with you if the player played at a good level for those two seasons, something that Millner did not.  If he passes a physical, coming off an achillies I would think a 5th is the best the jets can get and something more in the future if he ever plays like a #2 CB

Jets have 2 more contractual years & an option for a 5th year with Dee.

I would not entertain anything until he's a 100% healthy and has had his body built up under an NFL diet & workout regiment. If HE CONTINUES TO SUCK 1/2 way into Year 4, then trade him. Whatever you got then would be congruent to what they offer now: a 5th or lower.

Why not wait it out longer?

A) He's a former top 10 talent - he has shown flashes (yes against crap competition) and winning NFL of the Month in anything indicates ability BY NFL PANELISTS - not Homer Jets fans.

B ) We have him DIRT cheap for A VERY EXPENSIVE position in the NFL nowadays - CB

C) HE'S ONLY ENTERING HIS 3rd YEAR!!! Apparently he's still adjusting to NFL life and conditioning.

D) you all make valid points in WHY to trade him now, but they do no surpass the benefits he may provide once "he gets it"

Patience. Dee will reap rewards. ESPECIALLY EASED IN AS THE #4 CB to LEARN UNDER REVIS!

I think reading into Maccagnan's response this is what he's seeking. If the top offer is a 3rd, maybe where in the 3rd pushes him one way or the other. 

But clearly for the right price Milliner's gone. No one gives a squishy answer to a direct question the way he did unless he wants trade offers. 

Just like he was wrestling over the decision to tag Harrison with a 1 or a 2. He wants the pick; $1M in cap room is too easy to recreate elsewhere if he valued the player more than the pick. He wants a high 2 and would negotiate with a team with a top 50 pick if tagged higher, but he might not even get phone calls in the first place if he'd tagged him with a 1. Ultimately he would rather have a low 2 than the player.

And he said we're not just going to give him away for nothing (however he worded it). But clearly he wants to trade Milliner.

If he wanted to trade him he could do a sign and trade and eliminate the possibility of him going to the pats or green bay for the 60th or worse.

Jets have 2 more contractual years & an option for a 5th year with Dee.

I would not entertain anything until he's a 100% healthy and has had his body built up under an NFL diet & workout regiment. If HE CONTINUES TO SUCK 1/2 way into Year 4, then trade him. Whatever you got then would be congruent to what they offer now: a 5th or lower.

Why not wait it out longer?

A) He's a former top 10 talent - he has shown flashes (yes against crap competition) and winning NFL of the Month in anything indicates ability BY NFL PANELISTS - not Homer Jets fans.

B ) We have him DIRT cheap for A VERY EXPENSIVE position in the NFL nowadays - CB

C) HE'S ONLY ENTERING HIS 3rd YEAR!!! Apparently he's still adjusting to NFL life and conditioning.

D) you all make valid points in WHY to trade him now, but they do no surpass the benefits he may provide once "he gets it"

Patience. Dee will reap rewards. ESPECIALLY EASED IN AS THE #4 CB to LEARN UNDER REVIS!

If he "CONTINUES TO SUCK 1/2 INTO YEAR 4, THEN TRADE HIM" as you say, demonstrates extremely poor situational understanding. At that point, the Jets cannot deal him because he will have zero value! If there is a team or two still interested, they will wait for the Jets to release him.

The reason teams are inquiring now is because there is still "hope" that he will rehab and rejuvenate his career.

As long as I have been watching the NFL religiously, that "hope" for a player rarely pans out for the new team.

Sell now and take a 4th or 5th.

If he turns out to be good, the mistake is signing Cromartie and Skrine, not trading Milliner.

"You can never have enough corners". The one year we were weak at the corner position, we were hit by injuries to make it worse. Cro n Skrine won't be here forever and can be traded away when need be. But they are excellent insurance incase Revis goes does or if Milliner was to reach his potential during the camp and goes down in mid season.

I do agree with you though that with Cro here, we didn't need Skrine (even though he was signed before Cro). We also have Dexter to play the slot. Not saying he's great, but we never got a look at him.

What does Milliner have in common with any of those besides being a first round pick? How many of them won DROTM awards? Its unfortunate he got injured, but when healthy, he was really coming in to his own in that last month in 2014. He was injured even in the games he did play.

Wilson and Ghost sucked from day one. There are about 32 teams knocking on Kyle Wilson's door...to ask him to stay away from their teams.

I don't know how much sense it makes given his young age, the high draft pick we expended on him, the flashes of talent he has shown, the fact that he can now learn from the best for a year or two without much pressure, and the fact that our current starters won't be long term solutions more than 2-3 years out.

Having said that, if someone offers a high 2nd rd draft pick or a better then yeah, then you consider it.

I don't know how much sense it makes given his young age, the high draft pick we expended on him, the flashes of talent he has shown, the fact that he can now learn from the best for a year or two without much pressure, and the fact that our current starters won't be long term solutions more than 2-3 years out.

Having said that, if someone offers a high 2nd rd draft pick or a better then yeah, then you consider it.

YOU FAULKING GET IT!!!!!!

What the Jets are basically doing is holding onto Milliner until his option year (year 5).  Before that, Revis, Shrine (signed for awhile, and still in his prime) and Cromartie are being paid well to play corner.  

What the Jets basically said was that they needed a quality slot corner, which was Shrine, and that they needed to pay $8mm/year for Cromatie, for at least two years, because none of Milliner, McDougal, Walls and Williams could be expected to play CB2 in 2015 and 2016.  

When the Jets are ready for Milliner to pay corner, his contract will be expiring.  Maybe that is ok.  Of all of the signings, the Cromartie one to me is the biggest head scratcher.  Not so much that we can't use him this year, because we can.  More for its term and amount.

Idzik could have signed him last year for 3 years and $6mm.  Maximum.

Sperm, I would agree with you if the player played at a good level for those two seasons, something that Millner did not.  If he passes a physical, coming off an achillies I would think a 5th is the best the jets can get and something more in the future if he ever plays like a #2 CB

And if that's the top offer, then we'll keep him.

You'd think no one has ever heard of one team overvaluing another team's player because they see what they want to see.

If he wanted to trade him he could do a sign and trade and eliminate the possibility of him going to the pats or green bay for the 60th or worse.

Maybe my memory's hazy, but when was the last time you saw an NFL team do a sign and trade? I mean truly sign a player to a new contract, with the intention of trading him more or less right away. I can't think of a single example.

In the NFL the "sign" of the sign and trade is done in the form of tagging the player, which we've done. If he was so against getting only the 60th pick or worse, he'd have tagged him higher for only $1M more.

NBA teams do this because the old team is allowed to offer a larger contract than any newer team, giving the player incentive to re-sign with the old team instead of just going where he wants, so the old team doesn't lose the player for nothing. There is no such incentive in the NFL.

You're referring to our new GM and HC as these haters, right? That's who's shopping him, not the fans.

Posters here are just expressing what they would do - or what they think Maccagnan will do - now that 3 new high-priced CBs have been brought in.

Milliner haters, lol. Most of those "haters" here wouldn't have signed Cromartie at $8M per in the first place, and instead would have given the young guys an actual chance this year. Sign a one-year guy for a few million and let the best of the 3 start (or a rotation among them).

You're referring to our new GM and HC as these haters, right? That's who's shopping him, not the fans.

Posters here are just expressing what they would do - or what they think Maccagnan will do - now that 3 new high-priced CBs have been brought in.

Milliner haters, lol. Most of those "haters" here wouldn't have signed Cromartie at $8M per in the first place, and instead would have given the young guys an actual chance this year. Sign a one-year guy for a few million and let the best of the 3 start (or a rotation among them).

It was reported that the Jets are getting inquiries, not shopping him, big difference.

Didn't think there was a 1st round market for Bradford either, with a 1 year $13M contract no less.

Milliner is at least cheap ($) for 2 years in a wacky CB market.

Not saying he would fetch a 2/3, but it could happen.

One team offered a 1st rounder for Bradford right? How is that a market? Cleveland is nuts to even explore it but Kelly is even nuttier to not take the 1st.(assuming it was actually true)..

I would've rolled the dice on Bradford for a 5th max..

Archived