did i hear this right? 20m guaranteed for cromartie? JF80 apologized to JiF?

Jetsfan80

OK JiF, I see your point now.  $20M guaranteed to Cromartie, $10M guaranteed to Gilchrist and the Harris deal officially are making me a tad worried.

Granted, I love the new faces we've brought in.  But the dollar figures are officially a bit worrisome for the new regime.  The Revis deal is fine because we can get out of it in a couple of years.  Skrine was acquired for a very reasonable price.  And of course the Marshall and Fitzpatrick trades have my full endorsement.

This knocks the free agency/trading period from an A to a B or B+ for me now.  I'm still very pleased with how the roster is shaping up.  The draft will of course be what matters most.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK JiF, I see your point now.  $20M guaranteed to Cromartie, $10M guaranteed to Gilchrist and the Harris deal officially are making me a tad worried.

Granted, I love the new faces we've brought in.  But the dollar figures are officially a bit worrisome for the new regime.  The Revis deal is fine because we can get out of it in a couple of years.  Skrine was acquired for a very reasonable price.  And of course the Marshall and Fitzpatrick trades have my full endorsement.

This knocks the free agency/trading period from an A to a B or B+ for me now.  I'm still very pleased with how the roster is shaping up.  The draft will of course be what matters most.

Im not sure if my math is correct but:

Cromartie will be playing for this team for the next two years. if the Jets decide to cut him in the 3rd year they'll have to pay him 4 million. Gilchrist is in his prime so I expect for Marcus to play through the majority of that contract and possibly get an extension. David Harris was overpaid, but its not like Harris isn't productive on the field though given all of the money he's made in his career I expected a home town discount. 

Im not sure if my math is correct but:

Cromartie will be playing for this team for the next two years. if the Jets decide to cut him in the 3rd year they'll have to pay him 4 million. Gilchrist is in his prime so I expect for Marcus to play through the majority of that contract and possibly get an extension. David Harris was overpaid, but its not like Harris isn't productive on the field though given all of the money he's made in his career I expected a home town discount. 

I think my issue is the cumulative impact.  If it had just been Cro and Gilchrist we overpaid a bit, I'm OK with that given how weak we are in the secondary and the fact that we have to spend.  But you throw in the Harris deal that makes absolutely no sense and it makes me worry just a little. 

I know the prevailing argument is that Harris's presence is necessary so that teams can't run all day on us.  But why is that worth $7M a year with $15M guaranteed?  We need to get young, fast and athletic at the ILB positions, and that dollar figure means Harris will be on the field basically every 1st down and most 2nd down situations.  And if he's not and is reduced to a non-factor or situational run stopper, we can't cut him for another 2 years unless we find a trade partner.  Weird deal.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/antonio-cromartie/

That's the source.  Not sure if it's reliable.

Sportstrac is not necessarily reliable.  They rely on NFLPA and other sources just like us.   To the best of my limited knowledge, there still has been no official release of the terms of the Gilchrist and Cro contracts from the Jets.  Not saying the posted numbers are wrong... I'd just like to reserve judgment until the numbers are confirmed.

Sportstrac is not necessarily reliable.  They rely on NFLPA and other sources just like us.   To the best of my limited knowledge, there still has been no official release of the terms of the Gilchrist and Cro contracts from the Jets.  Not saying the posted numbers are wrong... I'd just like to reserve judgment until the numbers are confirmed.

Yeah, it's very strange they're the only ones putting it out there.  And why simply make up numbers?

that's some straight up hi-jacking, right there.lol

Agreed. I don't buy the $20M figure, frankly. Cro turns 31 next month. Guaranteeing him more than two years' salary just seems crazy. The overall number was much bigger than I expected, the guaranteed money is whack. It would mean that the Jets guaranteed a larger portion of Cro's contract than Revis'. Just find that hard to believe. $12-16M guaranteed seems more in line with their other deals.

Agreed. I don't buy the $20M figure, frankly. Cro turns 31 next month. Guaranteeing him more than two years' salary just seems crazy. The overall number was much bigger than I expected, the guaranteed money is whack. It would mean that the Jets guaranteed a larger portion of Cro's contract than Revis'. Just find that hard to believe. $12-16M guaranteed seems more in line with their other deals.

Not only that but he was guaranteed $13 mil in 2011 during his previous 4 years $32 mil at age 27 (?). Doesn't sound right for more to be more guaranteed 4 years later at age 31.

I accept your apology.

My fears are that this type of spending doesnt typically work.  We've got a sh*t ton of money tied up in the secondary and 20mil for Cro is absurd.  Dude is shot.  And Gilchrist isnt even good. Then throw in the Harris money...that deal was borderline retarded. Fitz sucks.  Love BMarsh and Revis. Carpenter and Skrine are whatever moves.

That said, its nice going into the new season not having the worst roster in the league.  The Jets didnt have much choice.  Terrible roster with a ton of money, so they had to spend. I'm just not sure it was spent wisely. 

Mac has to hit the draft out of the park.  The thing I like most about his offseason, is that he's left himself a ton of flexibility going into it with the only true obvious need being OLB.

I accept your apology.

My fears are that this type of spending doesnt typically work.  We've got a sh*t ton of money tied up in the secondary and 20mil for Cro is absurd.  Dude is shot.  And Gilchrist isnt even good. Then throw in the Harris money...that deal was borderline retarded. Fitz sucks.  Love BMarsh and Revis. Carpenter and Skrine are whatever moves.

That said, its nice going into the new season not having the worst roster in the league.  The Jets didnt have much choice.  Terrible roster with a ton of money, so they had to spend.  I'm just not sure it was spent wisely. 

Mac has to hit the draft out of the park.  The thing I like most about his offseason, is that he's left himself a ton of flexibility going into it with the only true obvious need being OLB.

To be fair, Gilchrist is the kind of hybrid safety/corner/linebacker/janitor that Bowles apparently loves. It's going to be interesting to see how Bowles uses him, Antonio Allen and Pryor...lots of opportunity for deception there. This is what I've liked about the new regime so far...there seems to be a good amount of synergy between Bowles and Mac.  Skrine was cheap, works hard, and has improved every year...he will be asked to play the slot.  I don't see how that is a "whatever" move in a passing dominated NFL.

The difference in percentage guaranteed it's semantics when one will be paid $33M over the upcoming 2 seasons and the other around $16M. If both are cut, and we get into the semantics of it, Revis would still be a 50% larger guaranteed nut to eat than Cromartie.

It should be $12M maximum on the guarantees, trading high salary for lower # of years guaranteed. He's just not that valuable of a CB anymore. As you suggest, it's not 100% official yet.  But if it turns out to be correct ($20M guaranteed) this is a Parcells to Bryan Cox level awful contract (though these two aren't handing him that deal and then quitting the next week).

To be fair, Gilchrist is the kind of hybrid safety/corner/linebacker/janitor that Bowles apparently loves. It's going to be interesting to see how Bowles uses him, Antonio Allen and Pryor...lots of opportunity for deception there. This is what I've liked about the new regime so far...there seems to be a good amount of synergy between Bowles and Mac.  Skrine was cheap, works hard, and has improved every year...he will be asked to play the slot.  I don't see how that is a "whatever" move in a passing dominated NFL.

Skrine isn't cheap. His cap #s after this year are $7M/year apiece.

Whether he's worth it is a different matter, but a cheap, veteran slot receiver is half that.

That 20M guaranteed # being thrown around is nonsense.  In fact until I hear official word I'm not so sure that 32M is accurate either.  It only makes sense that Cro wouldn't take less than 8M a year because that would imply he is less than half the player Revis is.

When word broke that he signed with the Jets a couple reporters had mentioned he took less than the Cardinals were offering.  Does anyone think they were going to pay him more than 8 mil a year?

That's the problem, whats the difference between Gilchrist and Pryor, Allen, Jarrett or Landry for that matter?  Very little.  We needed cover skills at Safety and this guy cant cover.  Skrine got paid, from what I remember of that contract.

Again, I'm happy with the upgrades, we'll see how it pans out. I'm a Jets fan, I expect the worst.  haha

I think my issue is the cumulative impact.  If it had just been Cro and Gilchrist we overpaid a bit, I'm OK with that given how weak we are in the secondary and the fact that we have to spend.  But you throw in the Harris deal that makes absolutely no sense and it makes me worry just a little. 

I know the prevailing argument is that Harris's presence is necessary so that teams can't run all day on us.  But why is that worth $7M a year with $15M guaranteed?  We need to get young, fast and athletic at the ILB positions, and that dollar figure means Harris will be on the field basically every 1st down and most 2nd down situations.  And if he's not and is reduced to a non-factor or situational run stopper, we can't cut him for another 2 years unless we find a trade partner.  Weird deal.

I agree with you 100%. When I first heard about the deal I didnt hear about the guaranteed money, I only heard 7 million and I immediately thought to myself that David Harris isn't worth 7 million dollars a year. Then after a couple days I thought about it. David Harris would have been the best MLB in free agency and we were able to keep him. Also, there is a David Harris replacement in this years draft for sure, but if we happened not to be able to draft an ILB or if we simply drafted a bust then we allowed Harris to walk right out the door with no back up. Demario Davis is good, but we're thin in the LB dept. to begin with. 

Given that the Jets covered so many spots in FA I really hope they're able to get a MLB at the right spot given that they dont have to reach anywhere. I will say that getting that 4th rounder back is great because we may not have to get a WR in the first 2 rounds and could probably still get a quality guy like a Tyler Lockett that can play slot, some outside but more importantly return punts and kicks. This will mean that we can spend that 2nd round pick on that MLB. that will replace Harris either next year or in the 3rd year. 

Harris was overpaid, no doubt, but im glad he's still a Jet and not somewhere else. we'll get 100+ tackles from him and I also believe that he'll have his highest yearly sack total of his career this upcoming season. It'll work out. 

That's the problem, whats the difference between Gilchrist and Pryor, Allen, Jarrett or Landry for that matter?  Very little.  We needed cover skills at Safety and this guy cant cover.  Skrine got paid, from what I remember of that contract.

Again, I'm happy with the upgrades, we'll see how it pans out. I'm a Jets fan, I expect the worst.  haha

Somehow I've managed to remain an optimist...we'll see how long that lasts.  Fact is it's just downright hard to get a cover safety these days, there aren't many around.  They're like the cover shutdown corner...a dying breed.  That's why I wanted McCourty so badly. I think we are going to go the "someone is playing centerfield on this play...do you know who?" route with this personnel which I like.  Versatility is something we have in abundance and if we scheme around it it can become a real weapon for us. 

all this "are the numbers right" stuff aside 

keep in mind the cap went up 10 mil each of the last two years and could do the same over the next two years. 

All this talk about cap hell isn't relevant when league revenues are soaring.

there is no cap hell anymore. 

all this "are the numbers right" stuff aside 

keep in mind the cap went up 10 mil each of the last two years and could do the same over the next two years. 

All this talk about cap hell isn't relevant when league revenues are soaring.

there is no cap hell anymore. 

It sure as heck better not be cap hell for the Jets. This team doesnt even make the playoffs and have some of the highest, if not the highest ticket prices in the NFL. 

Somehow I've managed to remain an optimist...we'll see how long that lasts.  Fact is it's just downright hard to get a cover safety these days, there aren't many around.  They're like the cover shutdown corner...a dying breed.  That's why I wanted McCourty so badly. I think we are going to go the "someone is playing centerfield on this play...do you know who?" route with this personnel which I like.  Versatility is something we have in abundance and if we scheme around it it can become a real weapon for us. 

Fair enough.  I'm excited to see what he can do.  No doubt.  He definitely has a lot more flexibility than Rex did last year, so you'd hope we're able to do a lot of different things we just couldnt do last season.

Archived