did i hear this right? 20m guaranteed for cromartie? JF80 apologized to JiF?

Jetsfan80

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets fans love to complain.

Fire Mr T he gave out too much guaranteed money

Fire Idzik he gave out too little guaranteed money

Fire Mac he gave out too much guaranteed money

Sorry to break it to you guys, but you can't have it both ways. If you want a competitive team  you need to spend. Guys aren't coming to the Jets or the Pats or the Niners for less than market value. If we hadn't given Cro 4  years for 32 mill,  he would have gotten 4/32 or 4/31 from some other team. 

yes you can.  Spend reasonably, manage sensibly, develop from within.  All or nothing thinking is what sent us from Mangini to Rex.  There is a responsible middle ground.  Like Pete Carroll for instance.  Who fired after one season.  

yes you can.  Spend reasonably, manage sensibly, develop from within.  All or nothing thinking is what sent us from Mangini to Rex.  There is a responsible middle ground.  Like Pete Carroll for instance.  Who fired after one season.  

Which explains the problem. Too much instant gratification need in New York. Middle ground wont work. Look at what the Yankees are trying to do now.

OK JiF, I see your point now.  $20M guaranteed to Cromartie, $10M guaranteed to Gilchrist and the Harris deal officially are making me a tad worried.

Granted, I love the new faces we've brought in.  But the dollar figures are officially a bit worrisome for the new regime.  The Revis deal is fine because we can get out of it in a couple of years.  Skrine was acquired for a very reasonable price.  And of course the Marshall and Fitzpatrick trades have my full endorsement.

This knocks the free agency/trading period from an A to a B or B+ for me now.  I'm still very pleased with how the roster is shaping up.  The draft will of course be what matters most.

OK JiF, I see your point now.  $20M guaranteed to Cromartie, $10M guaranteed to Gilchrist and the Harris deal officially are making me a tad worried.

Granted, I love the new faces we've brought in.  But the dollar figures are officially a bit worrisome for the new regime.  The Revis deal is fine because we can get out of it in a couple of years.  Skrine was acquired for a very reasonable price.  And of course the Marshall and Fitzpatrick trades have my full endorsement.

This knocks the free agency/trading period from an A to a B or B+ for me now.  I'm still very pleased with how the roster is shaping up.  The draft will of course be what matters most.

Sorry I do not believe they would guarantee 20 mill to a guy like Cromrtie.  Gilchrist is younger, no?  i might buy that.

Sorry to break it to you guys, but you can't have it both ways. If you want a competitive team  you need to spend. Guys aren't coming to the Jets or the Pats or the Niners for less than market value. If we hadn't given Cro 4  years for 32 mill,  he would have gotten 4/32 or 4/31 from some other team. 

Signing Antonio Cromartie at $8M/year is not the measuring stick by which a team is deemed competitive or not.

If another team would have paid that then they're welcome to do so. That's not enough of a reason. How about this one: if we didn't offer Nnamdi Asomugha $12M/year then someone else would have. Luckily, someone else outbid us by an insignificant amount.

I just love how people argue that spending money doesn't result in wins. I guess saving cash does, right? Christ. There's a reason why the Patriots had to let Revis walk, they couldn't afford him. The Seahawks don't have 60 mil. in cap space, neither do the Packers or Broncos. The best teams are pretty much maxed out in terms of cap space, because they have good players. We didn't, that's why we had 60 mil. left to spend on players. People act like the best/most successful teams are being smart. No, they're not. They just don't have a choice. They can't spend more money. If the Pats were allowed to spend more money, they would. They would have offered Revis more money, but they couldn't afford it. Everybody would do it. So please stop with this silly argument...

I just love how people argue that spending money doesn't result in wins. I guess saving cash does, right? Christ. There's a reason why the Patriots had to let Revis walk, they couldn't afford him. The Seahawks don't have 60 mil. in cap space, neither do the Packers or Broncos. The best teams are pretty much maxed out in terms of cap space, because they have good players. We didn't, that's why we had 60 mil. left to spend on players. People act like the best/most successful teams are being smart. No, they're not. They just don't have a choice. They can't spend more money. If the Pats were allowed to spend more money, they would. They would have offered Revis more money, but they couldn't afford it. Everybody would do it. So please stop with this silly argument...

You're making up an argument to fight against. No one said we shouldn't spend money. Spending wisely is better than just pissing it all away. We could have used the cash for Mo or Snacks or kept some in reserve for an OL that may be a camp cut down the line, or perhaps used the cash on two decent players rather than just one aging player that wasn't a need after Revis and Skrine were signed. Or perhaps keep cash around in case there's a camp injury and we suddenly need to fill a roster spot. You argue that spending is better. It isn't. Spending wisely is better. Just ask the Redskins.

You are correct. One of the chief complainers is an Idzik apologist.  BTW I did read that the Cardinals offer was comparable to the Jets.

all this "are the numbers right" stuff aside

keep in mind the cap went up 10 mil each of the last two years and could do the same over the next two years.

All this talk about cap hell isn't relevant when league revenues are soaring.

there is no cap hell anymore.

The amount of times this needs to be explained over and over again is kind of sad.

Amnesty International is currently organizing a letter-writing campaign for the logic in this post.

The middle IS having a couple guys that play on team friendly deals and some that don't. 

Expecting every contract to favor the team is unrealistic. I'm advocating for reality, the middle, which is what this year brings us towards.

Exactly. Only doing team friendly deals was just what Izdick was about. Then everybody whined when all the talent got away from him.

The cap went up due to very specific circumstances regarding new television contracts with the NFL.  This doesn't happen every year and won't likely happen in the immediate future.  So this argument, which has been parroted by so many on this board, lacks merit.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/cap-could-hit-160-million-in-2016/

I might have been underrating the amount. It could actually be 20 million. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/cap-could-hit-160-million-in-2016/

I might have been underrating the amount. It could actually be 20 million. 

Florio knows absolutely nothing about the cap.  The pool went up by 600 mill this year due  to a 400 increase in Direct TV license fees. There are no more large deals to come unless they get a English Broadcast with an English team.  The league can expect about 1/2 the growth it experienced over the last three years. 2013 the right fees from cable for NFL network and Redzone, 2014 was the CBS rights,(as Florio stated in this article last year.) and 2015 was due the direct tv deal.  you take away that 400 mill from the 600 mill and that only leave 100 mill for the players and the teams each. about 3 mill per team. league revenues will continue to increase and the cap will probably reflect that so you can figure about 5 mill more for next year.

Kraft and Jerry Jones both said that they expect the cap to be at 180 mill in 2021 when the cba expires. 

You argue that spending is better. It isn't. Spending wisely is better.

Exactly. So stop pretending you know what's wise and what isn't. Nobody does. And I never said spending 150 mil. on a backup Center makes you a contender. Of course it has to be spent wisely. Wait 1-2 years, see how the guys perform and what they make and then you can talk about whether we're paying somebody too much or not enough, that's when you sort of begin to see whether a signing was wise or not. But to say it a day after they signed a deal is beyond silly.

@RapSheet: Catching up on something from last week: The #Jets deal with new S Marcus Gilchrist is 4-years, $22M with $10M guaranteed

It's a 1 year deal worth 3.5-5 depending on bonuses. If jets want to keep him, then year 2 becomes fully guaranteed.

What does Pete Carroll have to do with the Jets signings?

They did spend reasonably and wisely.  They built a team that can compete...They had money they had to spend and brought in good players at market rate...

Well said. That definitely appears to be the plan.

The Jets are likely going to be better than last year, because last year was awful and short-term talent was added. They're owed money in the short term. Might be some dead money to eat in 2017, but other than that it's pretty safe.

The big thing this season is seeing how Maccagnan can draft (and potentially po) and whether or not the team potentially has a legit coach in Bowles.

Nobody should expect the Jets to compete for a title, there was practically no way they were going to get there anyway, but in the short term they'll be more entertaining to watch and as you pointed out in the long term those contracts that they needed to dish out this year anyway shouldn't hurt them.

In the end, the success of these FA signing's, and of Macc's GM'ship in general will be, can he replace the likes of Cro, Harris,Marshall and DeBrick with draft picks in the next two years.  That is where his expertise is , and why he was hired.

If he can, we may have an excellent long term GM, and anticipate having  a real good run as a team.   If it is still necessary to fill all holes with FA's............................Not so much.

IMO Macc is off to an excellent start, I can squawk about him over paying certain players, but I can't deny this is a much better team then it was a few weeks ago.

His real job begins on April 30th

This massive guaranteed money the Jets are paying out this year was actually structured very well.

The 4 year cap window closes after the 2016 season. The Jets had to spend big in the next 2 years to be in conplience with the CBA.

As much money as the Jets spent, of the guaranteed money about 80% of it will have been paid by the end of the 2016 season. Even Revis who was guaranteed 39 million will have collected 32 million of it in 2015-2016

The cap is expected to go up another 10 million next yer, and the following year.

In 2017 the new cap window opens, and they really won't have much of this guaranteed money on the books. They can reload the cap money, and then make a decision, with little cap damage, on if they should keep on paying these guys.

Works out for every one. These contracts are front loaded, which the players love, and it's good for the Jets. They have improved the team, and will still have money available in 2017.

Why is this so hard for folks to figure out!!

Thank you!!

Yeah after two years, we can cut him with no penalties.  So, 2 years, 15 million, with all of it guaranteed, and after that we can cut him with no repercussions.   That sounds a lot better than the 4 year pact that was first reported.  Hopefully his hip checked out fine at the physical, but otherwise, I think I can change my mind from horrible overpay to an average deal.  Still would've liked a little less guaranteed money, but you have to pay up for CBs I guess.  

Yeah after two years, we can cut him with no penalties.  So, 2 years, 15 million, with all of it guaranteed, and after that we can cut him with no repercussions.   That sounds a lot better than the 4 year pact that was first reported.  Hopefully his hip checked out fine at the physical, but otherwise, I think I can change my mind from horrible overpay to an average deal.  Still would've liked a little less guaranteed money, but you have to pay up for CBs I guess.  

All of the contracts are moot after 2-3 years, which tells me the FO has full faith in stocking the roster with draft-found replacements over that time.

All of the contracts are moot after 2-3 years, which tells me the FO has full faith in stocking the roster with draft-found replacements over that time.

Yeah, it's interesting that a lot of the deals are structured that way, seems like the front office doesn't mind paying guys upfront when they have value, but deeply value the ability to move on from them in a couple of years if it doesn't pan out.   Yeah, most likely believe they can replace these guys soon if need be by drafts or other free agents.  

So, the defense is pumped up but who is going to score points??

the jets have decent weapons now. 

brandon marshall and eric decker are nice red zone targets and should move the chains.

kerley and amaro can give you a big play here or there

Ivory is a beast, just pure beast

they need a speed WR to threaten safeties and a 3rd down RB that can catch check downs and screens and make a play

oh and a QB, lol

Can you guys wait to see how these contracts are structed jeez...

BUMPITY BUMP BUMP.

@RichCimini Random contract note: Antonio Cromartie's 4 yr/$32M deal with Jets includes only $7M gtd - $5M base + $2M roster bonus at signing. #nyj

Archived