Is Kyle Wilson better than Buster Skrine?

DRJETS

He had his ups and downs...played great against Atlanta with Matt Ryan/Julio Jones/Roddy White but then got abused by Tennessee.

Agreed, he is not a bad corner and is much better than Wilson, it is just that he is limited in the type of guy he can cover. More and more teams are putting bigger guys in the slot. It used to be that a slot guy was "welkeresque" in stature, now teams are putting TEs an big WR in the slot all the time trying to get that mismatch. ,

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stop using "numbers and metrics" for judging football players.  You do realize PFF also rated

Dawan Landry highly as a safety last year.  What does that tell you???  Wilson can't shine 

Skrine's shoes as a CB

well lets put it this way.....

first of all skrine has exactly as passes defended last year as kyle wilson has for his entire career.

second skrine played #2 cb opposite haden (so you know he was getting thrown at alot) and the browns had the #8 ranked pass defense by yards and tied for #6 is passing td's allowed all year. the jets were #14 in passing yards and #30 in passing td's allowed.

third, skrine is going to be our #3 cb

The issue with Skrine is that he played opposite Haden, which meant that he was going to get tested often, which shows in the high number of passes defended, the high penalty, and the high number of TDs given up.  He plays in the basically the same man to man system that Rex plays with, so guys are bound to get burned from time to time.  He has some very good coverage at times, and a decent amount of the scouting I saw on him (I believe Connor Hughes) notes that he anticipates routes very well, and can read what a WR is anticipating to do, but sometimes gets burned by double moves.  Revis does the same thing (although he's much better at recovering) so maybe Revis can help him out in that aspect as well.  

Not sure if this has been posted here or not, but this is the report from Hughes, citing film study.  

http://nyjets.about.com/od/Game-Reviews-and-Previews/fl/New-York-Jets-Offseason-Buster-Skrine-Film-Review.htm

Frustrating because let's face it, he was good enough to stay stride for stride with a lot of receivers but it was a wasted because he'd still get beat.

And then after he'd get beat, he'd jump on the receiver's back and get piggy backed 10 yards down the field until a safety could finish the play. Pitiful.

I don't know, PFF reports he does the number 1 rated mutombo finger swag. Its too bad Wilson couldn't be put on the PS to get a shot at becoming a FS. Guess it's too late. Thanks Wrecks.

I also thought he should have been tried at Safety with the play in from of him.

I'm a nice person also but I'd be a pathetic cb like wilson has been since he's been here. kudos to him for being a good guy but no one here cares.

Vance Joseph.  

Worst single performance by a CB I have ever seen in a Kotite  coached game against Oakland on a Sunday night.  Kotite left Joseph in the game as Tim Brown and the rest of the Raiduhs ate him alive.    

first of all skrine has exactly as passes defended last year as kyle wilson has for his entire career.

second skrine played #2 cb opposite haden (so you know he was getting thrown at alot) and the browns had the #8 ranked pass defense by yards and tied for #6 is passing td's allowed all year. the jets were #14 in passing yards and #30 in passing td's allowed.

In Kyle Wilson's defense it can be really hard to defend a pass when you're not looking for it

Well, if Wilson was the Jets #2 he would have given up 20 TD's. Skrine is going from the Browns #2 guy to the Jets #3. I think he'll be fine.

My point was almost 7 Million for a garbage nickel who surrendered a whopping 8 TD and the most penalties in the league by a DB. Anyway you slice it doesn't look good at the moment. So far I'm with ESPN until proven wrong, this contract given to Skrine is one of worst given out this year.

Kyle Wilson is a great person I've met him on numerous occasions he also gives a lot back to his community has great parents.

Please refrain on the personal attacks things didn't work out for him here wish him the best in his future.

Well I know he sucked as a player. Wasted a 1st round pick and hurt the team. I don't give a crap if he the nicest guy ever. He sucked and that is all that mattered.

My point was almost 7 Million for a garbage nickel who surrendered a whopping 8 TD and the most penalties in the league by a DB. Anyway you slice it doesn't look good at the moment. So far I'm with ESPN until proven wrong, this contract given to Skrine is one of worst given out this year.

I got your point the first time. 

You listen to PFF AND ESPN?

Damn, bro.

Awesome, are we witnessing the shift from one lost cause to another? From Rex to Wilson?

Well, if Wilson was the Jets #2 he would have given up 20 TD's. Skrine is going from the Browns #2 guy to the Jets #3. I think he'll be fine.

Well he didn't give up 20 TDs when Revis went down n Cro played at an all-pro level.

Kyle Wilson is a great person I've met him on numerous occasions he also gives a lot back to his community has great parents.

Please refrain on the personal attacks things didn't work out for him here wish him the best in his future. 

So you're from Piscataway and upset people are saying he is a lousy CB?  Sometimes players are just busts and that is what he is.  He is still young and if another team felt he had potential they would be glad to sign him. 

I know people who know him personally and I've heard he is a nice person.  I am sure there are plenty of other nice guys in the NFL who are below average players.

You need to relax a bit.

Vance Joseph.  

Worst single performance by a CB I have ever seen in a Kotite  coached game against Oakland on a Sunday night.  Kotite left Joseph in the game as Tim Brown and the rest of the Raiduhs ate him alive.    

I remember that game very well.  I was I believe 12 or 13 years old at the time and was the first time my parents let me go to a night game.  There was a moment of silence for Dick Steinberg and then the Jets got crushed.  I remember halftime I had a paper bag on my head and we left after the third quarter and were down 45-0.  It was all Raiders fans chanting Let's go Raiders and the only thing I could say was Let's go Yankees in response.  Old wounds.

If fantasy football existed back then and you had Tim Brown you may have broken records.

He may well be a great person and I don't doubt he is.

The multi-faceted problem is we foolishly wasted a 29th overall pick on him and he duly sucked balls in his efforts to be a Jets D-back.

The first component of that is only partially his fault. The fact that he sucked is on him.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of compassion by the fan base of most professional sports teams for guys that are good guys and tried hard but royally suck at what they're paid handsomely to do.

There's somewhat less compassion if those circumstances surround the 29th person picked in a draft.

Perhaps you could start a neighborhood flag football league that no one here would give a sh!t about and have Kyle play with you on your team.

I'm pretty sure if that was our only exposure to him, everyone that's said anything negative about him on this board would be willing to accept and applaud all the unique virtue that Kyle possesses.     

This and Skirine was also good enough to keep the 8th overall pick Justin Gilbert on the bench for his rookie year

Dee started along with a Safety and UDFA last year for the Jets, I think we all wanted Wilson to succeed and step up but to say he is better then Skirine is just wrong

Well he didn't give up 20 TDs when Revis went down n Cro played at an all-pro level.

Yet he wasnt resigned by the new regime. Why not? Better yet, if he's so better than Buster Skrine then why hasn't Rex Ryan picked him up? What im sensing is that you believe Wilson to be a solid Corner and Skrine to be average to below average. If this is the case then there's no reason for Wilson to be a free agent for the past 3 weeks if he's that good. Half of the NFL had needs at CB going into free agency, yet 3 weeks into it Wilson is still a free agent.

Specifically, if Wilson was  "at most" a competent #2 that would not give up 20TD's when playing across guys like Cromartie then why was he restricted to the slot when the Jets was putting Darrin Walls and Phillip Adams on the field? When it was confirmed that those two guys made up one of the worst duo's in the league why did Rex not slide one of those guys out in favor of Wilson but instead hit the street and signed Marcus Williams to the practice squad in September and still had to wait over a month before Williams was able to get game action as a starter in November? Remember, this is a team that was trying EVERYTHING at cornerback last year in order to stop the bleeding. Antonio Allen even started over Wilson last year. 

I'll take your word for it that Buster Skrine gave up 8 TD's last year. I'll also take your word that Wilson wouldnt give up 20 TD's. But what you will have to take my word on is that Buster Skrine is a better playmaker than Wilson is. Buster Skrine had more INT's (4) and pass breakups (18) last year than Wilson has had in his 5 year career (3, 17). Buster Skrine also had more pass breakups in 2013 than Wilson has had in his career. 

Wilson came into the league as a 1st round pick with his roster spot secured. 2 years later he was ultimately regulated to a back up role and nickel player and who was picked on constantly during his first 2 seasons because the opposing QB never ran the risk of a pass breakup or an INT throwing at Wilson's side. By the end of his 5th year no-name guys such as Phillip Adams, Darrin Walls, Marcus Williams and even Antonio Allen all played outside CB positions while Wilson was kept as the slot or nickel CB. Buster Skrine came in as a 5th rounder that ran the risk every day of being cut. Buster has played in all 16 games the 4 years he's been in the league. Last year the Browns drafted Justin Gilbert 8th overall and Pierre Desir later on in the draft and by the start of the league year, Buster Skrine was the starting CB across from Joe Haden and it stayed that way for the entirety of the season. Buster got a "pay day" contract from the Jets, and Wilson is looking for work...there's a reason for that.

After watching some highlights on Buster, I wonder if it is he and not Cro that we could put at FS. Bowles is known for using 3 safety sets a lot which would work with Pryor, Skrine and Gilchrist. And of course Gilchrist and Skrine can play CB too.

What I saw is that he has a nose for the ball. 

After watching some highlights on Buster, I wonder if it is he and not Cro that we could put at FS. Bowles is known for using 3 safety sets a lot which would work with Pryor, Skrine and Gilchrist. And of course Gilchrist and Skrine can play CB too.

What I saw is that he has a nose for the ball. 

I wouldnt be surprised. Buster had close to 40 pass breakups and 5 INT's the past two years, and thats with him having to turn his back to the ball. Bowles seems to be bringing guys in that have unique skill sets, and the 1 thing that I remembered when reading on Bowles was how the Cardinals players stated that Bowles understood the skill of a player and would move guys around on the defense in order to maximize their ability. The fact that Bowles had so many star defensive guys go down last year yet still produced a defense that was one of the best at not giving up points says that the guy knows what he's doing. 

The OP needs to stop posting and go watch the 2 side by side instead of wasting peoples time with this crap.

Skrine has 1 very important skill that Wilson doesn't and thats ability to cover and play the ball.

If Skrine was getting handsy, or penalized its because he got thrown to a ton and was taking chances on balls and in coverage, Wilson got penalties as a nickel because he tried to keep his head above water, and was constantly getting turned around in coverage.

Skrine may be getting overpaid, and i think part of that is the "scheme fit" however he is miles ahead of Kyle Wilson in coverage. if you ask me Kyle Wilson would have been a way better safety then he was a corner.

Archived