The New Fireman Ed Thread

Maxman

I am starting a new thread for the Bring Back Fireman Ed movement. The old thread kind of jumped the shark, or fell in the shark tank....either way here is a brief recap:

The Fire John Idzik creators started a site calling for bringing back Fireman Ed and they are asking everyone who supports this movement to sign this online petition:  https://www.change.org/p/fireman-ed-come-back-2

Here is a video from our YouTube channel, we believe this is the last time Ed led the chant in front of a large group of Jets fans:

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point I think it's up to him to decide what he wants to do.  He knows there are petitions and that he is wanted back.  Now he should decide he is or he is not. 

The past two years the team has been awful.  I felt like the fan chants were better than the Aviators chant but the Jets were running the whole thing.  At least the fans last year were giving their best effort to try to keep the chant alive.  I submitted myself in for the contest last year and I think there were like 12 others.  No one is a Fireman Ed but everyone had the same goal to keep the chant going on game day.  I know I lead a chant sometimes in my section but it's hard to do when your team is getting whooped and 40% of the stadium is opposing fans.  The stadium is also not designed well.  In the old place we were closer to the field, the upper deck was closer, the mezanine was closer.  I sat in the upper level corner and could see Ed no problem where he sat and I could even see across the stadium to the opposite end zone no problem.  I remember before Ed did his chant there were some guys who had a pretty good chant going.  My section had a guy too but it was not as successful.

Whatever Ed decides to do the chant is still alive but is not being implemented properly.  There are still plenty of people who do it.  No one is able to get 82,500 fans to do it.  A big part of it is a poorly designed stadium and four jumbotrons to do the chant.  While we may have not liked the name Giants Stadium we were all very spoiled by the sightlines and design of the stadium.

I have mixed feelings on him as a person but I also never met him so I can't really judge.  I didn't like how he left 2.5 years ago but he finally explained a bit of it.  Whatever people think of him we are all Jets fans who are passionate about our team.  I think at times people go against each other so much it gets ugly and we should remember we all want the same thing at the end of the day and that's to enjoy ourselves on gameday and to see the Jets win. 

I know he reads these threads.  He should come on and interact.  Either way I think at this point it's his call and whatever he decides should be respected.

Seriously? This topis has been discussed eleventy billion times already. why not just offer Ed this to return to doing his thing.  free food at Joe's Tailgate. make him an official JN employee with perks, which means Duane will be security and low man on the Ed totem pole. I think thats an offer he cant refuse, right?

Seriously? This topis has been discussed eleventy billion times already. why not just offer Ed this to return to doing his thing. free food at Joe's Tailgate. make him an official JN employee with perks, which means Duane will be security and low man on the Ed totem pole. I think thats an offer he cant refuse, right?

Anyone who discussed already doesn't have to rehash anything. The old thread went off topic so I thought a new start was a good idea for those that didn't see the petition yet.

Anyone who discussed already doesn't have to rehash anything. The old thread went off topic so I thought a new start was a good idea for those that didn't see the petition yet.

I see SAR down below eagerly waiting to rehash stuff. you see that too? I do :)

Seriously? This topis has been discussed eleventy billion times already. why not just offer Ed this to return to doing his thing.  free food at Joe's Tailgate. make him an official JN employee with perks, which means Duane will be security and low man on the Ed totem pole. I think thats an offer he cant refuse, right?

I will take care of security but low man on a male totum pole sounds like a good position for Max.

I like it what about JetNation.com Fireman Ed he could wear a jersey with JETNATION on the back name plate. We the best Jets message board could support him. 

How so?

In my opinion it turned into a pissing match  who had more rights to an opinion and who didn't whether you were a season ticket holder or a guy who cooked hot dogs for the tailgate party or just a regular guy with a Jets tattoo who drank a 6 pack and ate stale pretzels during the game in your ex wifes basement. 

Some want Fireman Ed back some want him dead I lost interest in the original thread.

In my opinion it turned into a pissing match  who had more rights to an opinion and who didn't whether you were a season ticket holder or a guy who cooked hot dogs for the tailgate party or just a regular guy with a Jets tattoo who drank a 6 pack and ate stale pretzels during the game in your ex wifes basement. 

Some want Fireman Ed back some want him dead I lost interest in the original thread.

Even thought the topic came up as a result of SAR pivoting to argument B, because he was losing argument A, I actually thought the discussion of how being a "die hard" was somewhat interesting.

I mean, I'll be honest at the point where SAR is just begging to be hammered you gotta figure some weird masochistic agenda is playing out for him, but from a conversation standpoint I thought it was an interesting concept to explore. 

I do understand wanting to provide a clearer platform and path towards the Ed campaign though. The other thread stopped being a useful resource for that.

Even thought the topic came up as a result of SAR pivoting to argument B, because he was losing argument A, I actually thought the discussion of how being a "die hard" was somewhat interesting.

I mean, I'll be honest at the point where SAR is just begging to be hammered you gotta figure some weird masochistic agenda is playing out for him, but from a conversation standpoint I thought it was an interesting concept to explore. 

I do understand wanting to provide a clearer platform and path towards the Ed campaign though. The other thread stopped being a useful resource for that.

SAR is not participating in this thread thus the reason hit has no traction, no posts, no clicks, and is falling off of Page 1.  Perfect.

SAR I

SAR is not participating in this thread thus the reason hit has no traction, no posts, no clicks, and is falling off of Page 1.  Perfect.

SAR I

It's Saturday during March Madness. The conversation has run its course. Negative attention is better than no attention at all.

SAR I wasn't hammered what thread were you reading others were and badly. 

The Smizzy grow up thread actually made Max lock the entire lounge :) even the moderators couldn't post in the lounge

That was the night I joined and either the first or second thread I read after signing up. It's the season I stayed. I'll never forget it lol

Back from vacation... Thanks for starting the new thread, Max...

I would love to see the petition continue to get more signatures.. The point has been made and I know that the Jets are reading all of the petition comments from thousands of their customers... Ed is on record saying he will do whatever necessary to keep the chant alive... The Jets are on record that they will welcome him back... I think we all see the writing on the wall.

I do want to take a second to thank everybody who posted the link to the petition on their social media and helped spread the word - this forum for being so open minded and willing to engage in fair debate on both sides of the issue - and every one of the 3,420 people who took time out of their day to put their name on record and support a guy who has been such a huge supporter of the team that we all care so much about.

IF Ed is back week 1 (which I suspect he will be) then you can all take a lot of pride in the fact that you helped to make that happen. That alone should add a few decibles to what promises to be one of the most fired up crowds in recent memory. Can't wait.

#BringBackEd

If Ed wants back in, he should go for it. Hate him or like him, he def was the one that captured the chant and got others to get up and join. Key to success is for the Jets to give it a chance by turning off the music and getting him up on the video boards. When he quit, he was not getting video time and the stupid, waste of time music was blaring so no one knew what was going on.

Archived