The New Fireman Ed Thread

Maxman

Back from vacation... Thanks for starting the new thread, Max...

I would love to see the petition continue to get more signatures.. The point has been made and I know that the Jets are reading all of the petition comments from thousands of their customers... Ed is on record saying he will do whatever necessary to keep the chant alive... The Jets are on record that they will welcome him back... I think we all see the writing on the wall.

I do want to take a second to thank everybody who posted the link to the petition on their social media and helped spread the word - this forum for being so open minded and willing to engage in fair debate on both sides of the issue - and every one of the 3,420 people who took time out of their day to put their name on record and support a guy who has been such a huge supporter of the team that we all care so much about.

IF Ed is back week 1 (which I suspect he will be) then you can all take a lot of pride in the fact that you helped to make that happen. That alone should add a few decibles to what promises to be one of the most fired up crowds in recent memory. Can't wait.

#BringBackEd

Good stuff.

Ed gave us some NFL uniqueness and the chant was known by all football fans.

It will be great to see him back.

And if we have a winning season, it will make it that much more enjoyable to chant with him.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who discussed already doesn't have to rehash anything. The old thread went off topic so I thought a new start was a good idea for those that didn't see the petition yet.

Why dont you eventually take over and lead the chant Max? Many Jets fans either know you or know your work through the best Jets forum on the web. And you already have someones shoulders to sit on given that you go to the games with your son. 

That would be bad ass actually. 

Why dont you eventually take over and lead the chant Max? Many Jets fans either know you or know your work through the best Jets forum on the web. And you already have someones shoulders to sit on given that you go to the games with your son. 

It would be hard to duplicate the intense, psycho, vein-popping look that Ed provides.

That doesn't make sense to me. Even if Ed wasn't going to do the chant, there is no way I would want there to be no chant at all.

Im tired of the constant bitching about Ed and the chant sucking since Ed left.  If he doesnt want to do it, the Jets should just let it die and let the fans do it themselves if they really want to.  stop force feeding it.  theyve done a horrible job with it.

No one could put max on their shoulders

Im tired of the constant bitching about Ed and the chant sucking since Ed left. If he doesnt want to do it, the Jets should just let it die and let the fans do it themselves if they really want to. stop force feeding it. theyve done a horrible job with it.

Taking the chant back from the jets would stop the force feeding. If it continues or not, it should be up to the fans.

Haha...I am not a center of attention kind of guy. Definitely wouldn't be anything I would be interested in.

Plus I can't be on camera because of my potty mouth. :)

An update on an idea that some of you guys had in the original thread...

I am considering setting up that "Dinner with Ed" fundraiser... $100/person with $50 going towards the UFA Widows & Childrens Fund and the other $50 going towards a dinner/open bar... Hoping to do it either in Florham Park or next to MetLife.... Before I set it up, I was just looking for some feedback. How many people would be interested? Which location would you prefer that we do it? Is that price too much or would you prefer a cash bar/food and just make it like a $50 donation to attend?

I have some connections at Redd's and Kilroy's - so those would be easier to set up... But doing it in Florham Park at the sports bar in the hotel across from the Jets facility would be pretty cool too. Even if we had only 100 people attend, we would still raise $5000.

I am considering setting up that "Dinner with Ed" fundraiser... $100/person with $50 going towards the UFA Widows & Childrens Fund and the other $50 going towards a dinner/open bar... Hoping to do it either in Florham Park or next to MetLife.... Before I set it up, I was just looking for some feedback. How many people would be interested? Which location would you prefer that we do it? Is that price too much or would you prefer a cash bar/food and just make it like a $50 donation to attend?

I have some connections at Redd's and Kilroy's - so those would be easier to set up... But doing it in Florham Park at the sports bar in the hotel across from the Jets facility would be pretty cool too. Even if we had only 100 people attend, we would still raise $5000.

Yeah, I'd be interested...

Feedback...

- Do it closer to the season, or during pre-season or at the start of training camp, fans will be riled up the most and excited about the start of a new season, a new regime, and they'd be further juiced about this movement to bring back Ed, maybe do it as a day-before-pre-season game when the team is at home.

- If possible, bringing in current or ex-players could spike interest, not sure of your connections, but the team could very well be interested in helping out, especially since there is charity involved.

I'd sign up. As far as feedback, I would suggest somewhere closer to the city, to help stack the deck in your favor to attract more people with disposable income, doing it in florham park would pretty much cancel out anyone from NYC, while a nice place in Hoboken might draw NJ and NY people. and Arthurs is a decent steakhouse that has private rooms and could probably fit in a prefixe in your range. Also, it would probably get more heat closer to the season in the summer, during training camp or preseason. As far as money, i think it would really need to be an all inclusive, or food/beer/wine inclusive with liquor cash. No offense to Redds, but $100 a plate for that place may be a tough sell.

Taking the chant back from the jets would stop the force feeding. If it continues or not, it should be up to the fans.

Agreed.

If the fan sentiment is that the chant die, so be it, but first the fans have to take it back from the corporation in order to drive that decision. So, the campaign shouldn't be about "bring back Ed", it should be "give the chant back to the fans".

Agreed.

If the fan sentiment is that the chant die, so be it, but first the fans have to take it back from the corporation in order to drive that decision. So, the campaign shouldn't be about "bring back Ed", it should be "give the chant back to the fans".

You are right but it's not going to happen.

The Jets sell in-stadium audio advertising and the very best time to place an ad and the highest rate you can get for an ad is when people are paying attention and are in a great mood and that's right after a score and that's when the Chant is costing the Jets money.

Beyond that, the fans have voted and the Chant is dead.  If the fans didn't want it when Ed was leading it (2012) or newcomers were leading it (2013, 2014), they're not going to want it again just because Rex Ryan is gone and we've signed a few free agents and we're a bit optimistic in March.  The Jets and Ed and the fans have tried everything to keep this nonsensical alphabet schtick alive and it didn't work.  "Biggest chant in NFL history" pregame event, bust.  Boomer & Carton spank pig parking lot tailgate, bust.  Fireman Ed app, bust.  Season Ticket Holder preseason event featuring Fireman Ed, bust.  Super Bowl Times Square Jets House event featuring Fireman Ed, bust.

It's over.

SAR I

The Jets sell in-stadium audio advertising and the very best time to place an ad and the highest rate you can get for an ad is when people are paying attention and are in a great mood and that's right after a score and that's when the Chant is costing the Jets money.

Beyond that, the fans have voted and the Chant is dead. If the fans didn't want it when Ed was leading it (2012) or newcomers were leading it (2013, 2014), they're not going to want it again just because Rex Ryan is gone and we've signed a few free agents and we're a bit optimistic in March. The Jets and Ed and the fans have tried everything to keep this nonsensical alphabet schtick alive and it didn't work. "Biggest chant in NFL history" pregame event, bust. Boomer & Carton spank pig parking lot tailgate, bust. Fireman Ed app, bust. Season Ticket Holder preseason event featuring Fireman Ed, bust. Super Bowl Times Square Jets House event featuring Fireman Ed, bust.

It's over.

SAR I

Oh, well, okay.

Would like to do it, keep me in the loop and I agree closer to the start of the season. 

Is he doing the chant?  If he agrees it's a good idea.  If he doesn't it's pointless.  Price is fine.

Beyond that, the fans have voted and the Chant is dead. If the fans didn't want it when Ed was leading it (2012) or newcomers were leading it (2013, 2014), they're not going to want it again just because Rex Ryan is gone and we've signed a few free agents and we're a bit optimistic in March. The Jets and Ed and the fans have tried everything to keep this nonsensical alphabet schtick alive and it didn't work. "Biggest chant in NFL history" pregame event, bust. Boomer & Carton spank pig parking lot tailgate, bust. Fireman Ed app, bust. Season Ticket Holder preseason event featuring Fireman Ed, bust. Super Bowl Times Square Jets House event featuring Fireman Ed, bust.

It's over.

SAR I

Oh, well, okay.

Good stuff.

Ed gave us some NFL uniqueness and the chant was known by all football fans.

It will be great to see him back.

And if we have a winning season, it will make it that much more enjoyable to chant with him.

I couldn't agree more about "uniqueness".  It astounds me that sports teams don't do more unique stuff.  Everything is so generic that it's boring.  Every team is "___ nation".  Baseball teams have that "everybody clap your hands" thing.  At least baseball stadiums have unique dimensions.  Football is so bland when it comes to uniqueness.  Even the unique things ("steel curtain", "doomsday defense", "sack exchange") feel dated.  Today it's all luxury boxes, HD big screens and gourmet food.

Meh.  I'm not a fan of anyone who likes to be "the fan" of a team (a la Fireman Ed).  I do like the chant but it should be easy enough to figure out how to get the stadium to do it.

Was that his fault though?  I doubt he thought the networks would start showing him on TV when he first started doing it.  Something fun in the stands to get everyone fired up got bigger than most people expected.  I wouldn't knock  him because cameras started to catch  him doing it.

By Peter Schwartz

» More Columns

Ed Anzalone still bleeds green. Despite reports to the contrary, he attends every Jets home game with his family though hasn’t been “Fireman Ed” since some fans gave him a hard time on Thanksgiving night in 2012 and he decided to hang up the helmet.

“I’ve never stopped loving them,” Anzalone said. “I love them more than ever. I’m at every game. I’ve never missed a game.”

But it’s a lot harder to pick him out of the crowd at the Meadowlands.

Now, he tries to keep a low profile at the games. He no longer wears a jersey, so instead he dons a Jets shirt and sunglasses. But sometimes, during a critical time in a game, Firemen Ed still has the itch to make an appearance.

“When I’m at the games, my wife has to grab me at times,” said Anzalone, who for many years led the “J-E-T-S” chant at both Giants Stadium and MetLife Stadium. “There have been times where I’ve thought this is where we gotta get them going and I’m ready to run down the aisle again.”

But that era is over.

Despite a website (www.BringBackEd.com) calling for his return and a petition that now has almost 3,500 signatures, Fireman Ed’s days of climbing up on someone’s shoulders are history.

“Would I come back like I used to?” Anzalone said. “No, that will never happen. I’m 55 years old. It’s pretty much over for me. They want to see this thing continue and I’m in total agreement with that. Ultimately, I’m not going to be able to do it, but there are plenty of guys that have the passion that I do.”

Without question, the atmosphere at Jets games hasn’t been the same the last few years. Any attempt the organization has made to continue the chant has not been effective.

“It’s the greatest chant in all of sports,” said Anzalone. “To watch it the way it is has been a killer.”

Numbers don’t lie. The fans have spoken — and they want Ed back. It’s not going to happen, but the man famous for wearing the Bruce Harper No. 42 jersey is appreciative of the support.

“That was very humbling,” Anzalone said of the petition. “I’m honored that they would even feel that way to start a petition. I know there’s a lot of love out there from the Jets fans. Ninety to 95 percent of it through the years has been good. There’s always been that five or 10 percent that can ruin it for you.”

I’ll be honest. I’ve had my issues with Anzalone over the years and we had a very public back-and-forth war of words last August. Sometimes it’s downright silly to hold a grudge, especially when it comes to something as trivial as arguing over a chant among other things.

But thanks to “Bring Back Ed” website founder Jason Koeppel, Ed and I connected over the phone last week and we had a terrific chat. We talked for about half an hour, both on and off the record, and we cleared up a lot of things.

Let me also say that I signed the petition to bring him back. Not that a fan can make the difference in winning and losing, but I think the atmosphere has been abysmal without him.

So what are the Jets to do?

They want Ed back as well. The team took him out to lunch last April to get his feelings on coming back and gave him a few months to think about it. The Jets talked to him again in July when he made some suggestions on how to help fix the game day atmosphere.

Ultimately, the Jets decided to hold a contest to pick fans to lead the chant. However, these guys didn’t have the same working conditions as Fireman Ed.

“Some of those guys could have been very good but they handcuffed them,” Anzalone said. “They didn’t give them the opportunity like I had. They put them in one stationary position.”

It sounds like these new chant leaders could use a mentor: Someone with plenty of experience in getting 70,000 people on their feet, coaxing all of them into complete silence, and then gesturing to get them to scream “J-E-T-S! JETS! JETS! JETS!”

Maybe Fireman Ed can make a cameo or two and show these guys how it’s done.

“I would never say never,” Anzalone said. “If I could help that chant in any way, whatever it might be, I would absolutely do it. We’ll see where it goes but I’ll never turn my back on the Jets or the fans. I’ll be at the games. Now as far as it being Fireman Ed, who knows? I don’t know what’s going to happen.”

Now if Fireman Ed does decide to return in a limited and mentoring role, he’s going to need someone to hoist him up in the air like old times. Since we’ve turned the page on our past differences, I extended the olive branch of offering up my shoulders if he agrees to come back.

“You got it,” said Anzalone. “It would be my pleasure!”

There you go! Let’s make it happen!

There have been many things written and said about Ed Anzalone over the year. Much is simply not true. But one thing is for sure: Jets games have not been the same without him.

The Jets seem to be cornering the market in bringing people back to the organization. First there was Darrelle Revis. Then Antonio Cromartie. Now we need Fireman Ed.

Even if it’s to show the new guys the ropes.

Personally I had never a problem with Ed - he got the crowd going every game I went to which is good-I would not blame him not to be in the spotlight any more- too many egos out there

That's what it boils down to...kids see him up there getting attention and it drives them nuts.  They want to be the fan on the jumbotron being recognized because mom always told them they were special.  Things start to get ugly when everyone doesn't get a trophy.

That's what it boils down to...kids see him up there getting attention and it drives them nuts. They want to be the fan on the jumbotron being recognized because mom always told them they were special. Things start to get ugly when everyone doesn't get a trophy.

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head right there.

That's what it boils down to...kids see him up there getting attention and it drives them nuts.  They want to be the fan on the jumbotron being recognized because mom always told them they were special.  Things start to get ugly when everyone doesn't get a trophy.

Exactly. Think about what bringing Ed back means for the children.

Beyond that, the fans have voted and the Chant is dead.  If the fans didn't want it when Ed was leading it (2012) or newcomers were leading it (2013, 2014), they're not going to want it again just because Rex Ryan is gone and we've signed a few free agents and we're a bit optimistic in March.  The Jets and Ed and the fans have tried everything to keep this nonsensical alphabet schtick alive and it didn't work.  "Biggest chant in NFL history" pregame event, bust.  Boomer & Carton spank pig parking lot tailgate, bust.  Fireman Ed app, bust.  Season Ticket Holder preseason event featuring Fireman Ed, bust.  Super Bowl Times Square Jets House event featuring Fireman Ed, bust.

It's over.

SAR I

You have posted a lot of things that were wrong. No more so than this.

The spank pig thing had nothing to do with Boomer anyhow. Wrong again.

The Jets know that the chant was handled wrong last year, and I believe they want to see it go on.  

I have spoken to Ed a few times recently. The only thing he seems concerned about is making sure the chant goes on because he believes (as do I) that it is the greatest chant in sports.

Ed said when the Jets make the Super Bowl, it is going to be amazing to hear the chant on TV during the game. I never really thought about that but it is pretty cool.

Agreed.

I think that is exactly where this will end up.

Archived