The New Fireman Ed Thread

Maxman

Damn...was really hoping it would happen.

Looking forward to hearing him on JN radio tomorrow night.

I set up this interview and Peter Schwartz is a great guy - but the title is completely misleading. I mean no disrespect - I just think he has a different interpretation of Ed's words than I do… 

Ed has maintained all along that he has no interest in being the long term answer as chant leader because of his age but that he would do whatever is necessary in the short term to make sure the chant comes back. I spoke with Ed this morning and nothing has changed. I remain EXTREMELY confident that on opening day, we will be welcoming back Revis & Cro AND Fireman Ed with one of the loudest "J-E-T-S" chants the Meadowlands has ever heard. 

If anybody in the mainstream media or on social media doubts that statement - there will be only one way to prove them wrong. I look forward to being 1 of 80,000+ losing my voice that day and I promise not to say "I told you so".

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I set up this interview and Peter Schwartz is a great guy - but the title is completely misleading. I mean no disrespect - I just think he has a different interpretation of Ed's words than I do… 

Ed has maintained all along that he has no interest in being the long term answer as chant leader because of his age but that he would do whatever is necessary in the short term to make sure the chant comes back. I spoke with Ed this morning and nothing has changed. I remain EXTREMELY confident that on opening day, we will be welcoming back Revis & Cro AND Fireman Ed with one of the loudest "J-E-T-S" chants the Meadowlands has ever heard. 

If anybody in the mainstream media or on social media doubts that statement - there will be only one way to prove them wrong. I look forward to being 1 of 80,000+ losing my voice that day and I promise not to say "I told you so".

That was the vibe I got from what I've been hearing from Ed.  To me, anything short of "absolutely not I will 100% not be doing it" makes me think he wants to do it again.

He clearly misses it and who can blame him?  I'm looking forward to it on opening day for sure.  

Perhaps the fans could team together, form a Hard core group that starts the chant, an organic, thing and not just one guy, with all the pressure on him.

Perhaps Ed could be apart of it to help kick it off. We've seen a lot of fan pressure, which helped in the down fall of Idzik. Now something more positive from the fans?

The fans want it and so does the organization so lets have fun with it.  If Ed doesn't want the responsibility then like American Idol, lets have a contest where the fans can vote online as people tryout to be the main "cheerleader" for the Jets.  Give the winner a premium seat to start the chants but all this comes after  Fire Man Ed's personal training.

Of course this can all backfire after a few losses.

Perhaps the fans could team together, form a Hard core group that starts the chant, an organic, thing and not just one guy, with all the pressure on him.

Perhaps Ed could be apart of it to help kick it off. We've seen a lot of fan pressure, which helped in the down fall of Idzik. Now something more positive from the fans?

They do need a bunch of fans to keep this going.  Ed doesn't want to do this forever.  If there were several people throughout the stadium to keep it going that would help.  The fans need to focus on this though and not the Jets.

Listened to the simulcast last night with Ed.

I agree the chant should continue somehow, someway.

It is the most recognizable chant in sports and should not be put on the shelf to be heard no more.

I was at the Green Bay game in 2002 when we won the division.  Never heard the chant led by Ed as loud as I did that night - Electric!

If your blood wasn't pumping that night you didn't have a pulse.

Ed's 55 years old.  If he does it again it will be an occasional cameo for old time's sake.

I would like to see the Jets get involved like he stated last night but he needs to be involved in the selection process.

The guy who takes over has to have the same NY grit, passion, Type A, take no prisoners, no bullish*t, serious as a heart attack personality that Ed has.

We can't have the Jet's round up a consulting team to select some good looking, candy *ss with blond hair and blues eyes to lead the chant for our NYJ.

Guy has got to be rough around the edges and as tough as nails as Ed has been and we Jet fans have been for the last 45 years of no SB.

And I agree with Ed on Geno.  Can't miss a meeting.  Period.  Your'e supposed to be a leader - not a JR Smith type.

I hope Parcells is right that Geno will break out in this his third year but I don't know.  A zebra doesn't change his stripes.

I know it was announced that Geno will be practicing with the first team.

I'm going to trust that Bowles and Maccagnan are going to be smart with the QB position.

I think they will.  They have made some pretty smart decisions to this point.

Hey Fireman Ed supporters, whats the deal on Ed coming back? Has he talked to the team about the ridiculous stadium ads/volume? I think its a big issue. It's hard for the fans to get the chant back if the guy in charg of the sound/music is failing to recognize the ebbs and flows of the game and mood of the crowd.

@BMarshall: Are we getting FireMan Ed back?

@BMarshall: “@COMtnHigh22: @BMarshall nah man he knows the Jets are trash”. Could have went 6 other places. If I thought that I wouldn't have came.

Hopefully this will change his mind. Honestly, all I'm worried about is our chant more than anything. I know we haven't made the playoffs for four seasons, but I feel like the chant is gradually dying.

Hey Fireman Ed supporters, whats the deal on Ed coming back? Has he talked to the team about the ridiculous stadium ads/volume? I think its a big issue. It's hard for the fans to get the chant back if the guy in charg of the sound/music is failing to recognize the ebbs and flows of the game and mood of the crowd.

I don't think Ed has spoken with the team yet. Hopefully they will be reaching out to him though.

I think the Jets are would agree that the chant didn't work last year. The chant has happen when Jets fans want it to happen. Not only after a touchdown. And they can put the chant leader (Ed or whoever is doing it) on the board as much as they need to.  Hopefully they are committed to making this chant real again. The whole fan voting thing just didn't work because the Jets told those guys when to do it.

Hopefully this will change his mind. Honestly, all I'm worried about is our chant more than anything. I know we haven't made the playoffs for four seasons, but I feel like the chant is gradually dying.

I spoke to Ed and that really seemed to be his biggest concern as well. He doesn't want to be doing the chant in 5 years. He wants to make sure we are doing the chant in 5 years.

That is pretty cool if you ask me.

I have spoken to Ed a few times recently. The only thing he seems concerned about is making sure the chant goes on because he believes (as do I) that it is the greatest chant in sports.

Ed said when the Jets make the Super Bowl, it is going to be amazing to hear the chant on TV during the game. I never really thought about that but it is pretty cool.

"The greatest chant in sports."

I'm sorry, but can you name another one?

SAR I

SAR I

How about "In-com-plete!" in Denver?

Also, the Bucs do something where the cheerleaders point to the stands on one side of the stadium and the fans sitting there yell "Tampa!" Then the cheerleaders spin around pointing to the other side of the stadium and the fans there yell "Bay!" They swing back and forth like that repeating the chant 2 or 3 times.

I like this one, because it's got a funky beat and I can bug out to it...

I went to GB last season for the jets game, holy cow is that place loud when they do that chant. Never heard a Jets chant that loud in my life. 

I went to GB last season for the jets game, holy cow is that place loud when they do that chant. Never heard a Jets chant that loud in my life. 

Winning record every season helps.

I have a friend who's a GB fan.

Said they have had a HOF QB behind center every year for the last 23 years (since 1992).

We don't know what that is like.

I am starting a new thread for the Bring Back Fireman Ed movement. The old thread kind of jumped the shark, or fell in the shark tank....either way here is a brief recap:

The Fire John Idzik creators started a site calling for bringing back Fireman Ed and they are asking everyone who supports this movement to sign this online petition:  https://www.change.org/p/fireman-ed-come-back-2

Here is a video from our YouTube channel, we believe this is the last time Ed led the chant in front of a large group of Jets fans:

Like I said in the last thread. Why would our fan base want a guy who quit on us back??? He's a nobody who was given tons of attention and used it to embarrass the team by "stepping down" or whatever he called it. What fanatic, who becomes this visible, turns his back on basically hitting the lottery as a fan?

Fair weather fans shouldn't be the face of our fan base. That's the opposite of what it means o be a Jets fan.

Like I said in the last thread. Why would our fan base want a guy who quit on us back??? He's a nobody who was given tons of attention and used it to embarrass the team by "stepping down" or whatever he called it. What fanatic, who becomes this visible, turns his back on basically hitting the lottery as a fan?

Fair weather fans shouldn't be the face of our fan base. That's the opposite of what it means o be a Jets fan.

"Fair weather Jets fan".... Seems legit.

The better question is, have you read even one thing about why he stopped leading the cheer? Did you listen to any of the interviews? Have you taken the time to educate yourself about the entire situation before you decided that you were "Anti-Ed"?

SAR I

The Incomplete chant that the Broncos do. The Devils chant in hockey.  The Eagles chant. The old Houston Oilers fight song thing.

Wait?  So Ed can't lay claim to the "best chant in all of sports"?  Now that I think of it, the Gate D Spiral chant was the best chant in all of sports, and for a much better reason.

Hey....FireIdzik Guy.....can we bring the Gate D Spiral Chant back please?  Campaign?  Sign?  Aircraft?

SAR I

I don't see it the same way, but I certainly respect your opinion.  Here is how I see where we are today...tThe chant is dying. The Jets are controlling it and in a few years, there is a very real possibility that the chant might not exist. I think the best chant to avoid that is to rally around Ed temporarily while a go-forward strategy is worked out. It should be multiple guys....but what the Jets did last year, did not work. Please remember the Jets did a mailing, spent thousands of dollars on the every quarter of the stadium gets a letter idea. What they did with the fan vote for a different chant guy each week, and telling them to only do the chant after we score...the chant is on life support.

I like Ed a lot personally, and he has told me he doesn't want to do the chant anymore. So this is a way of getting the chant back in the hands of fans.

Wait?  So Ed can't lay claim to the "best chant in all of sports"?  Now that I think of it, the Gate D Spiral chant was the best chant in all of sports, and for a much better reason.

Hey....FireIdzik Guy.....can we bring the Gate D Spiral Chant back please?  Campaign?  Sign?  Aircraft?

SAR I

No thanks. I go to the stadium with my kids. I saw the photo of you calling for girls to get naked. But I prefer more of a family atmosphere at the stadium.

The chant - has to be spontaneous at the right times- that is what Ed good at the right times to do it

That is the biggest reason the fans should control the chant, whether it is Ed or someone new.

No thanks. I go to the stadium with my kids. I saw the photo of you calling for girls to get naked. But I prefer more of a family atmosphere at the stadium.

Strippers attend Jets games too and they have a right to express themselves.  Those girls weren't average fans being harassed.  They were pros.

SAR I

Strippers attend Jets games too and they have a right to express themselves.  Those girls weren't average fans being harassed.  They were pros.

SAR I

Nobody has the right to break the law at the stadium. That is what was happening there. So funny they posted that picture of you, since you paint a completely different picture of yourself. The internet is a funny place.

I don't see it the same way, but I certainly respect your opinion.  Here is how I see where we are today...tThe chant is dying. The Jets are controlling it and in a few years, there is a very real possibility that the chant might not exist. I think the best chant to avoid that is to rally around Ed temporarily while a go-forward strategy is worked out. It should be multiple guys....but what the Jets did last year, did not work. Please remember the Jets did a mailing, spent thousands of dollars on the every quarter of the stadium gets a letter idea. What they did with the fan vote for a different chant guy each week, and telling them to only do the chant after we score...the chant is on life support.

I like Ed a lot personally, and he has told me he doesn't want to do the chant anymore. So this is a way of getting the chant back in the hands of fans.

There hasn't been much to chant for. Isn't that why it's dying? Maybe I'm making it too simple, but if we start playing at a high level at home and god forbid land another home playoff game, I'm pretty sure people will be chanting their asses off.

Archived