Lovie Smith hints Bucs are open to trading down

FTL Jet Fan

As per PFT:

Some years, the team with the top overall pick in the draft is so enamored with a franchise quarterback that it never talks much about the possibility of picking anyone else. When the Colts drafted Andrew Luck, for instance, it was obvious for months in advance that that’s what they were planning to do, and the team never said otherwise.

The Bucs aren’t taking quite the same approach this year. Although most people think they’ll take Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston, and that if they don’t they’ll go for Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota instead, Bucs coach Lovie Smith told NFL Network his team might surprise people.

“I can see why people would assume we’re gonna take a quarterback,” Smith said. “There are two excellent quarterbacks that are available at the top and when you get a chance to draft someone like that, most of the time, people do. But there are other good players in the draft also. I think it’s a deep draft for defensive line. Like last year, there are a lot of great receivers that are coming out. I think, just overall, the amount of athletes coming into each incoming class, it’s pretty deep for players that can make an immediate impact.”

By making those comments publicly, Smith is signaling to other teams that if they’re interested in trading up, they should call Tampa Bay and make an offer. And that’s a smart thing to do: It’s always good to find out what you could get in a trade.

Whether the Bucs would actually pull the trigger on a trade remains to be seen. Passing up on a potential franchise quarterback is a tough decision to justify. But it’s a decision the Bucs will consider, if Smith is to be believed.

I dont buy it. No way would I trade up for Winston.

Not buying it either...the way they've dealt with Glennon makes you wonder why they even keep him on the roster....trade down would be shocking.

Trade down means Lovie is already history in Tampa. They are already one of the worst and worst dressed teams in the NFL and it was Lovie who ok'ed the change. Worst uniforms in pro football are Bucs and Jacksonville. 

Listen to Random Task. Or is it Odd Job, I forget.

Random task...and that dude is legit crazy.  Went to jail for murder a few years ago, then killed his cellmate while in prison.

Back on topic...curious to see who they go with at QB if they were to trade out. Glennon is plenty good, but Smith has treated him like garbage since day 1.

Leave Winston alone! DO NOT DRAFT HIM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. I am OK with trading up to #4 for Mariota. Oakland might take less than face value for an extra pick or two and be happy at #6. If Mariota goes at #2 to Tennessee or other...so be it.

It'd be nice to find our franchise QB this year, but from the majority if what I read and hear, that player isn't in this draft (or its very unlikely he is).

I don't follow college enough to have my own opinion.....but sounds like if we were to take one Winston would be ideal....not worth trading up for though I guess.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Browns or Rams, Winston has a better chance away from central Florida and NY is trouble for an immature QB (ala Sanchez)

Titans would be easy since then Lovie could take Leonard Williams plus pick up an extra 2nd  

Cutler to Tampa and Bears move up? long shot but possible

Bills do not have enough picks to trade up

Browns or Rams, Winston has a better chance away from central Florida and NY is trouble for an immature QB (ala Sanchez)

Titans would be easy since then Lovie could take Leonard Williams plus pick up an extra 2nd  

Cutler to Tampa and Bears move up? long shot but possible

Bills do not have enough picks to trade up

Saskatoon would be ideal.  He is a ticking time bomb with a little Jamarcus thrown in for good measure.  Hot Plate Williams with shoulder pads after a year or two in the league.

Archived