Bowles: Geno will take reps with first team, Fitzpatrick with second team

JetBlue

Don't shoot the messenger!  Just passing this along.... 

Jets head coach Todd Bowles said Geno Smith will take the first-team reps.

Newly acquired Ryan Fitzpatrick will take reps with the second team.

“I would be sitting there lying if I said they’re going to get equal reps,” Bowles said (Mehta, March 24).

The Jets sent a late-round conditional draft pick to Houston for Fitzpatrick. It will be a 2016 seventh-round conditional pick that can become a sixth-round pick depending on his playing time with the Jets (Mehta & McClain, March 11).

http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/bowles-geno-will-take-reps-with-first-team-fitzpatrick-with-second-team/

I guess the honeymoon period for Bowles is officially over.... 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have absolutely no issue with this approach.

Fitzpatrick is an established veteran with many years of starting experience.  At this point in his career, he's supposed to be able to step up and start with minimal practice reps especially when you consider that he's familiar with Gailey's system.

Geno is the younger quarterback who has more physical talent and still has the ability to develop into something however slim the chances.  Most people are understandably low on Geno at this point, but you are kidding yourself if you think he's not going to get another chance to compete for the starting job this season.  As things stand now, it's his job to lose.

Remember when I said that people need to get used to the fact that Geno Smith will be the starter in 2015 and I proceeded to get roasted for the next 5 pages for saying so?

That was fun.

And you think you made a bold prediction? Of course they want Smith to start. At the very least, they want him to win the job or have a head start.

But yeah, what a bold prediction.

And you think you made a bold prediction? Of course they want Smith to start. At the very least, they want him to win the job or have a head start.

But yeah, what a bold prediction.

It wasnt a prediction.  I said people need to get used to it.  I got blasted for 5 pages on how wrong I was blah blah blah.  And now your Head Coach said he's taking first team reps and he's be lying if to say they'll have equal reps.

Again, that was a fun day for me. 

None of it really matters  until the season starts.  If Fitz outplays Geno and isn't named the starter, that's when the honeymoon ends.

Agreed....  but I don't see that happening with Bowles. He has no allegiance to Geno or Fitz so the best man will play.  

Are they practicing already?

I took the comment like he was referring to when they'd get to camp.

Our franchise QB is currently not on the roster. I think 99% of Jets fans realize that. However, we still have to go forward with the season with or without that QB.

I hate Geno more than the next guy, but if Bowles believes he gives is the best chance to win, then I have to support it. It's still premature. OTAs, training camp, and the first 3 pre-season games will determine who plays.

Our franchise QB is currently not on the roster. I think 99% of Jets fans realize that. However, we still have to go forward with the season with or without that QB.

I hate Geno more than the next guy, but if Bowles believes he gives is the best chance to win, then I have to support it. It's still premature. OTAs, training camp, and the first 3 pre-season games will determine who plays.

Ok, cool...so like I was saying, people should probably get comfortable with Geno Smith as the starter next season. lol

And FTR, I did say that before they signed Fitz but still kind of believe it because Fitz is dog sh*t. 

I will never understand how people expected Geno Smith to light the world on fire coming from a spread offense with Greg Salas and David Nelson as his WRs.  It truly baffles me how peoples expectations exploded because Andrew Luck (a once in a GENERATION) prospect stepped in and played well immediately.  I think Sanchez is the reason for this Geno hate on this forum.  The general trend during his tenure was "it hasn't been enough time yet" and since he DID end up failing people aren't patient enough to do the same waiting game with Geno.

He has 2 NFL quality receivers now (Decker will hopefully be healthy this time around), give him a real chance. 

Remember when I said that people need to get used to the fact that Geno Smith will be the starter in 2015 and I proceeded to get roasted for the next 5 pages for saying so?

That was fun.

I remember agreeing with you, granted it was possibly for different reasons.

It wasnt a prediction. I said people need to get used to it. I got blasted for 5 pages on how wrong I was blah blah blah. And now your Head Coach said he's taking first team reps and he's be lying if to say they'll have equal reps.

Again, that was a fun day for me.

I always thought you were a Jets fan.

I will never understand how people expected Geno Smith to light the world on fire coming from a spread offense with Greg Salas and David Nelson as his WRs.  It truly baffles me how peoples expectations exploded because Andrew Luck (a once in a GENERATION) prospect stepped in and played well immediately.  I think Sanchez is the reason for this Geno hate on this forum.  The general trend during his tenure was "it hasn't been enough time yet" and since he DID end up failing people aren't patient enough to do the same waiting game with Geno.

He has 2 NFL quality receivers now (Decker will hopefully be healthy this time around), give him a real chance. 

Here is the problem, remove the talent issue and look at the actual plays.  Watch the guy play, watch him miss open receivers, watch him turn the ball over for no good reason at all.

If a player comes into the leauge, makes mistakes but has some good games that gives you hope he can develop, so here we are at year two thus you expect a few less errors, a few more good games/plays.  Instead you get the same player, same poor decisions, same suspect accuracy, same turnover problems.

Lets look at an equivalent on the oline, Winters.  Played his 1st year, lots of errors a bit of promise, next year as bad or worse.  Here we are i year three and he will be lucky to make the team at all he has fallen out of favour.  You MUST progress from year one to two or you become a suspect and in this day and age you can't just toss another year out the window on the 'hope' the guy will get it.

By being named the present #1 guy at this moment he is getting all the chance he needs or deserves but you can bet he will be tossed to the heap if he does not come out and look great from day one.

Here is the problem, remove the talent issue and look at the actual plays.  Watch the guy play, watch him miss open receivers, watch him turn the ball over for no good reason at all.

If a player comes into the leauge, makes mistakes but has some good games that gives you hope he can develop, so here we are at year two thus you expect a few less errors, a few more good games/plays.  Instead you get the same player, same poor decisions, same suspect accuracy, same turnover problems.

Lets look at an equivalent on the oline, Winters.  Played his 1st year, lots of errors a bit of promise, next year as bad or worse.  Here we are i year three and he will be lucky to make the team at all he has fallen out of favour.  You MUST progress from year one to two or you become a suspect and in this day and age you can't just toss another year out the window on the 'hope' the guy will get it.

By being named the present #1 guy at this moment he is getting all the chance he needs or deserves but you can bet he will be tossed to the heap if he does not come out and look great from day one.

I hear you and I've seen everything you're saying.  Personally, as a guy who spends most of his time playing basketball, I think the game is a lot more mental than people think.  I'm of the opinion that a lot of these QB prospects could succeed given the right circumstances.  Think about making the jump from College to the NFL...it's daunting.  Then think about making that jump after your draft stock plummeted because people thought you were a jerk and you were "on your cellphone too much"...that's a recipe for a panic attack.  

The key to developing prospects is getting them confidence...I really believe that. To circle back to myself in the basketball example...I often play like horsesh*t and miss by 5 feet when i'm in a mental funk in a rec game...but i KNOW what I can do when I'm surrounded by my friends playing pickup....the same 18 foot jumpshot will go in a lot more often given equal coverage.  In Geno's case it's pretty hard to gain confidence in yourself in that first year when you really are DOUBTING yourself if you are playing with David Nelson and Greg Salas...all of those incompletions and failures on 3rd down add up mentally.  I wanted him to sit a year no matter what until we got better talent around him...just so he wouldn't get his confidence so low.  That Sanehez injury MURDERED us, it's a lot bigger deal than people make it out to be.

Feel free to disagree, just my opinion

See you are using logic here.  The masses are incredibly emotional and impatient and it is understandable considering the last true franchise qb we had was a 38 year old Vinny Testaverde and before that, Kenny O'Brien and before him Joe Willy himself.   If we are being objective, there is no way he should have been the starter the last two years but we can blame that on the previous regime.   I have confidence that the new CS and FO want Geno to succeed because it will make their jobs that much easier.  They are not bringing any "baggage" from the last few years and will look at everything with "fresh eyes".   They will give him every chance to compete and win the job but they are not handing it to him; he has to go out and win it.   If he does that means he will have geniunely improved and I don't know how any one can be against that. 

I hear you and I've seen everything you're saying.  Personally, as a guy who spends most of his time playing basketball, I think the game is a lot more mental than people think.  I'm of the opinion that a lot of these QB prospects could succeed given the right circumstances.  Think about making the jump from College to the NFL...it's daunting.  Then think about making that jump after your draft stock plummeted because people thought you were a jerk and you were "on your cellphone too much"...that's a recipe for a panic attack.  

The key to developing prospects is getting them confidence...I really believe that. To circle back to myself in the basketball example...I often play like horsesh*t and miss by 5 feet when i'm in a mental funk in a rec game...but i KNOW what I can do when I'm surrounded by my friends playing pickup....the same 18 foot jumpshot will go in a lot more often given equal coverage.  In Geno's case it's pretty hard to gain confidence in yourself in that first year when you really are DOUBTING yourself if you are playing with David Nelson and Greg Salas...all of those incompletions and failures on 3rd down add up mentally.  I wanted him to sit a year no matter what until we got better talent around him...just so he wouldn't get his confidence so low.  That Sanehez injury MURDERED us, it's a lot bigger deal than people make it out to be.

Feel free to disagree, just my opinion

Good point but it seemed like Idzik was pressuring Rex to start Geno to begin with. It was pretty apparent that he wasn't ready.

Archived