Bowles: Geno will take reps with first team, Fitzpatrick with second team

JetBlue

It's really the only play you have. You hope Geno improves and of he doesn't you put in fitzmagic.

If we have a good draft we can go 8-8 or 9-7 with either qb. Geno is supposed to be the worst qb in the history of football we've gone .500 with him and a bad roster once already.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great analysis.

People are panning his last game vs Miami as an aberration or that Miami had "given up".

That's complete BS. There was no more pressure on Geno & the coaches actually let him play, but the BIGGEST FACTOR was Decker was lighting it UP, catching everything Geno was tossing to him.

The game progressed & Geno played with great confidence & made it look easy!

Fans can say what they want about "being tough" but there is a reason during the draft when people talk about "handling NY".

Our fans are BRUTAL to our own players.

Geno is still just a kid, thrown into the NFL by that idiots moves that now resides in Buffalo. People scream at him during games, "YOU SUCK!" Some saying "I f*cking hate you!"

IT IS NOT EASY BEING A YOUNG QB IN THE NFL!

Is Geno immature? Yes, has he done stupid sh*t? Yes!

But, as a fan, I see I guy that has struggled and has been berated beyond believe, torn down in the media on back pages of newspapers, but unlike a guy like Ryan Leaf who completely lost his sh*t under the pressure, (by the way, the pressure of playing in San Diego,lol), Geno keeps scrambling back on his feet & coming back.

With Decker healthy & Amaro not dropping every other ball he finished on a high note. Now you guys can take that away from him with reasons like "the other team wasn't trying" but like players will tell you, "THIS IS THE NFL"

Individuals might shut it down but 80% of players that take that field are playing ball!

I have no idea if Geno can be good, but I've seen enough glimpses compared to QBs we've seen here in the past to know it's way too early to give up on that kind of athleticism.

Let's see what Gailey can do for him to simplify the offense so that he can use that athleticism to his advantage.

I couldn't have said it better myself.  Great post. 

If we have a good draft we can go 8-8 or 9-7 with either qb. Geno is supposed to be the worst qb in the history of football we've gone .500 with him and a bad roster once already.

With the worst group of wide outs in nfl history no less....  Okay maybe that is an exaggeration but not by much. 

Geno never should have been drafted by the Jets, it was a dumb move. Compounded by horrible coaching, starting him at least a year too early, and being coddled when he did not deserve it.

He has some physical tools, but he is NOT a leader, which is a damning quality for an NFL QB. He does not appear to be able to read a defense, and his mechanics suck, particiuarly when any pressure is applied whatsoever.

Mechanics can be improved to an extent, reading a defense as well, but leadership is a quality you either have or dont have. He doesnt have it.

You had me until this.  Leadership is expressed in different ways.  I think he showed leadership by taking his benching like a Man, coming back and playing a lot better.  I am sure he won the respect of alot of that locker room in doing so.  

It is hard to come in as a raw rookie or second year player and "lead" grown men, especially when your play was as inconsistent as Genos' was.   When Eli first came to Giants the same thing was said about him (remember the quotes by Tiki Barber?).    Leadership is also about performance; you have to win the confidence and trust of your teammates.  The better he plays, the more confident he will be and the more effective he will be as a leader. 

Bowles is a smart dude, and as a rookie head coach, I don't think there's any way in hell that he is going to hang his hat on a 3rd year QB has shown very little growth over the first two years of his career.  If both QB's perform more or less equally during camp and the preseason,  I would be surprised if Geno wins the starting job.  If the Jets actually draft Mariotta, then I think its a lock that Fitz starts the season as the #1 QB. Just my two cents...

Bowles is a smart dude, and as a rookie head coach, I don't think there's any way in hell that he is going to hang his hat on a 3rd year QB has shown very little growth over the first two years of his career.  If both QB's perform more or less equally during camp and the preseason,  I would be surprised if Geno wins the starting job.  If the Jets actually draft Mariotta, then I think its a lock that Fitz starts the season as the #1 QB. Just my two cents...

Sorry but your post makes no sense.  Geno did show growth over his first two year, in fact he showed growth over his last 6 games once his go to receiver finally was healthy.  If both qbs are equal, why would you go with a the older guy with little to no upside instead the 3rd year player who is perhaps just now hitting his stride?  Also I thought everyone wanted an honest competition.  You are saying that if the Jets draft Mariota, Fitz wins the job, regardless of how well or poorly he plays?   What if Geno outplays him?  Fitz starts no matter what?  Do you see how silly this sounds?  You are right Bowles is a smart guy and the qb who performs the best will start, regardless of if they draft Mariota or not.  

Sorry but your post makes no sense.  Geno did show growth over his first two year, in fact he showed growth over his last 6 games once his go to receiver finally was healthy.  If both qbs are equal, why would you go with a the older guy with little to no upside instead the 3rd year player who is perhaps just now hitting his stride?  Also I thought everyone wanted an honest competition.  You are saying that if the Jets draft Mariota, Fitz wins the job, regardless of how well or poorly he plays?   What if Geno outplays him?  Fitz starts no matter what?  Do you see how silly this sounds?  You are right Bowles is a smart guy and the qb who performs the best will start, regardless of if they draft Mariota or not.

It's pretty simple. There is a universe of difference between a mediocre NFL quarterback and a really bad one. Geno is a huge long shot to make the kind of leap in his third season that would make this anything like a competition.

I'm sorry but I've seen very little in two years that indicates that Geno Smith is "hitting his stride"  He's been consistently terrible with a few spurts of decent play thrown in between over the last two years. I don't remember the last QB that I've seen come into the NFL and be terrible for two years and then all of a sudden become a productive and reliable QB.  It just doesn't happen that way.  In the modern day NFL, QB's come into the league and are either good or not good.  The QB's that start off good usually show legitimate growth every year and turn into franchise QB's.  QB's that start off bad usually just stay bad. Look, don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for Geno Smith, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for him to turn from a frog into a prince.  Ryan Fitzpatrick wont win MVP awards, but he has proven himself to be legit starting QB in the NFL and will give the Jets the best chance to win week in and week out in my opinion.

I'm sorry but I've seen very little in two years that indicates that Geno Smith is "hitting his stride" He's been consistently terrible with a few spurts of decent play thrown in between over the last two years. I don't remember the last QB that I've seen come into the NFL and be terrible for two years and then all of a sudden become a productive and reliable QB. It just doesn't happen that way. In the modern day NFL, QB's come into the league and are either good or not good. The QB's that start off good usually show legitimate growth every year and turn into franchise QB's. QB's that start off bad usually just stay bad. Look, don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for Geno Smith, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for him to turn from a frog into a prince. Ryan Fitzpatrick wont win MVP awards, but he has proven himself to be legit starting QB in the NFL and will give the Jets the best chance to win week in and week out in my opinion.

Fitzpatrick such a legit starting QB that he is on a new team every year playing the backup role.

Whatever Fitzpatrick is, he is a better NFL QB than Geno Smith. 

He still will have to go on the field and prove that.  Geno is young, has a better arm, more mobile and just going into his 3rd year.  I realize that many people believe he can not get any better but I am not one of them.   The best performer in camp and preseason will get the job and I am okay with that.  If Geno had real competition his first two years he would been on the sidelines and allowed to learn the NFL instead of being force feed before he was ready.   

I'm sorry but I've seen very little in two years that indicates that Geno Smith is "hitting his stride"  He's been consistently terrible with a few spurts of decent play thrown in between over the last two years. I don't remember the last QB that I've seen come into the NFL and be terrible for two years and then all of a sudden become a productive and reliable QB.  It just doesn't happen that way.  In the modern day NFL, QB's come into the league and are either good or not good.  The QB's that start off good usually show legitimate growth every year and turn into franchise QB's.  QB's that start off bad usually just stay bad. Look, don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for Geno Smith, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for him to turn from a frog into a prince.  Ryan Fitzpatrick wont win MVP awards, but he has proven himself to be legit starting QB in the NFL and will give the Jets the best chance to win week in and week out in my opinion.

I hear you but you have look at the big picture.  The guy should NEVER have been starting his first year and really even second year because HE WASNT READY. Of course he is going to struggle!   To his credit, he did play better his last 6 games even if the team didn't overall.   I don't know why people keep saying he didn't show growth when he did.    I respect your opinion about Fitz but we don't live a static world.  Things can and do change and while I agree Ryan has proven he can win games in the NFL, so has Geno.   The biggest difference is the turnovers, not to mention Fitz playing with MUCH better offensive talent most of his career.  

Geno has sucked alot and yet still managed to help the team go 8-8. Even if you account for a couple of flukely wins, he still would have been 7-9 or 6-10.   With another year of experience, better coaching and better players I am interested to see if and I say IF he can break through and develop the consistency necessary to be a winning NFL qb.  Even if Fitz beats him out, that is not a horrible thing for him as he will have a chance to watch from the sidelines and continue to learn.  

It's pretty simple. There is a universe of difference between a mediocre NFL quarterback and a really bad one. Geno is a huge long shot to make the kind of leap in his third season that would make this anything like a competition.

That is why they play the game on the field.  Long shot, short shot is irrelevant.  The bottom line is he is going to get a shot and we will see what happens.   That appears to be Bowles approach.  

He is a better player than Geno and should start week 1 but he is also injury prone and our OL the way it's constructed right now is going to get him killed.

We have signed a ton of OLineman and will probably draft another or sign udfa.  Why do you feel our OL won't improve? 

You had me until this.  Leadership is expressed in different ways.  I think he showed leadership by taking his benching like a Man, coming back and playing a lot better.  I am sure he won the respect of alot of that locker room in doing so.  

It is hard to come in as a raw rookie or second year player and "lead" grown men, especially when your play was as inconsistent as Genos' was.   When Eli first came to Giants the same thing was said about him (remember the quotes by Tiki Barber?).    Leadership is also about performance; you have to win the confidence and trust of your teammates.  The better he plays, the more confident he will be and the more effective he will be as a leader. 

Leaders dont miss team meetings the day before the game, period. Eli is a bad example, he was a fluke run from being as big of a bust as Sanchez.

I have never once heard a teammate standup for Geno, or go out on a limb for him. Hell, they even did that for Sanchez, never once.

Geno is never going to be a leader, and he will never be a quality NFL QB, the sooner the Jets realize that, the sooner we can move on to the next guy.

When I 1st read this thread, I ran to my bedroom, turned on the News and was extremely happy to see that my worst fears were not realized.  I thought for Sure they would be a thousands of Jet fans leaping to their deaths off what ever local  bridge they could reach.

So happy to see it's not that serious.

Leaders dont miss team meetings the day before the game, period. Eli is a bad example, he was a fluke run from being as big of a bust as Sanchez.

I have never once heard a teammate standup for Geno, or go out on a limb for him. Hell, they even did that for Sanchez, never once.

Geno is never going to be a leader, and he will never be a quality NFL QB, the sooner the Jets realize that, the sooner we can move on to the next guy.

So you say.  Decker has already "stood up" for Geno but that probably doesn't count.  So has several other players so sorry you are wrong there.  

Then I give you a local example of Eli and and the best you can do is say it's a "fluke"?   Sorry but that doesn't cut it.  

You can state your opinions all you want but you saying something doesn't make it true.  One thing I learned in life is to ignore the naysayers and know it alls.  I have seen to  many cases of people proving folks like you wrong.   Glad the CS is not taking your advice; fortunately they are smart enough to let the guy sink or swim as it is their and teams best interest to do so rather then listen to fans who "know" Geno (all of 24 years of age) will NEVER be a leader or a quality qb blah, blah, blah, etc.    I don't know if he will or won't be and I am honest enough to admit it.  

When I 1st read this thread, I ran to my bedroom, turned on the News and was extremely happy to see that my worst fears were not realized.  I thought for Sure they would be a thousands of Jet fans leaping to their deaths off what ever local  bridge they could reach.

So happy to see it's not that serious.

No they just choose to "interpret" the news to fit their preconceived notions and agendas... 

I hear you but you have look at the big picture.  The guy should NEVER have been starting his first year and really even second year because HE WASNT READY. Of course he is going to struggle!   To his credit, he did play better his last 6 games even if the team didn't overall.   I don't know why people keep saying he didn't show growth when he did.    I respect your opinion about Fitz but we don't live a static world.  Things can and do change and while I agree Ryan has proven he can win games in the NFL, so has Geno.   The biggest difference is the turnovers, not to mention Fitz playing with MUCH better offensive talent most of his career.  

Geno has sucked alot and yet still managed to help the team go 8-8. Even if you account for a couple of flukely wins, he still would have been 7-9 or 6-10.   With another year of experience, better coaching and better players I am interested to see if and I say IF he can break through and develop the consistency necessary to be a winning NFL qb.  Even if Fitz beats him out, that is not a horrible thing for him as he will have a chance to watch from the sidelines and continue to learn.  

I agree and am totally fine with a legitimate QB competition in camp and during the preseason and may the best man win. I hear what you're saying about Geno being thrown to the wolves the first two years and that he probably had no business starting even one game, not to mention the fact that management did him absolutely no favors by surrounding him with a very pedestrian, to put it mildly, offense as well.  Yes, he has shown flashes of being decent in a few games here and there, but even the worst QB's in the league can have a few good games.  What I'm looking for is consistency, and Geno hasn't shown to be consistent in any aspect of being a QB so far.  As I've said, his circumstances have been poor, but I still just don't get the feeling he's all of a sudden going to turn it around.  I hope I'm wrong.

I agree and am totally fine with a legitimate QB competition in camp and during the preseason and may the best man win. I hear what you're saying about Geno being thrown to the wolves the first two years and that he probably had no business starting even one game, not to mention the fact that management did him absolutely no favors by surrounding him with a very pedestrian, to put it mildly, offense as well.  Yes, he has shown flashes of being decent in a few games here and there, but even the worst QB's in the league can have a few good games.  What I'm looking for is consistency, and Geno hasn't shown to be consistent in any aspect of being a QB so far.  As I've said, his circumstances have been poor, but I still just don't get the feeling he's all of a sudden going to turn it around.  I hope I'm wrong.

Fair enough, I appreciate your point of view and I somewhat agree with you. I can deal with a logical and well reasoned thought process like yours.  His biggest issues in my opinion is 1. ball security, 2. understanding game situations; if he can significantly improve in this area I think he will be more consistent.  It remains to be seen if he can improve enough to make a difference. 

So you say.  Decker has already "stood up" for Geno but that probably doesn't count.  So has several other players so sorry you are wrong there.  

Then I give you a local example of Eli and and the best you can do is say it's a "fluke"?   Sorry but that doesn't cut it.  

You can state your opinions all you want but you saying something doesn't make it true.  One thing I learned in life is to ignore the naysayers and know it alls.  I have seen to  many cases of people proving folks like you wrong.   Glad the CS is not taking your advice; fortunately they are smart enough to let the guy sink or swim as it is their and teams best interest to do so rather then listen to fans who "know" Geno (all of 24 years of age) will NEVER be a leader or a quality qb blah, blah, blah, etc.    I don't know if he will or won't be and I am honest enough to admit it.  

Hey, if you want to have this faith in Geno, knock yourself out. I think he is a never was, and never will be. 

I have seen enough of him to feel confident with my convictions. That said, everything that everyone thinks here is opinion, not fact, so not sure what you are expecting, some qualification along with every statement?

The Jets braintrust will make a cross-country trek in full force this weekend to take a closer look at the guy who might be its next franchise quarterback.

General manager Mike Maccagnan and five key team decision-makers will hold a private workout for Marcus Mariota on Saturday in Eugene, Ore., to further evaluate the Heisman Trophy winner a month before the NFL draft.

Hey, if you want to have this faith in Geno, knock yourself out. I think he is a never was, and never will be. 

I have seen enough of him to feel confident with my convictions. That said, everything that everyone thinks here is opinion, not fact, so not sure what you are expecting, some qualification along with every statement?

I have faith in Bowles and Chan Gailey to put him in the best position to succeed. It is up to him what he does with this last opportunity.   I am just a glass half full kind of guy and willing to see what the guy does.  There are other examples of players who struggled their first few years and turned things around.  

I have faith in Bowles and Chan Gailey to put him in the best position to succeed. It is up to him what he does with this last opportunity.   I am just a glass half full kind of guy and willing to see what the guy does.  There are other examples of players who struggled their first few years and turned things around.  

I hope your right, it would be by far the best situation for us all. I agree that there are players who have turned it around, I just don't think Geno has it. Most of the guys who turned it around had more there IMO, but I do think Gailey has the right system to do it, if it can be done, big if.

I hope your right, it would be by far the best situation for us all. I agree that there are players who have turned it around, I just don't think Geno has it. Most of the guys who turned it around had more there IMO, but I do think Gailey has the right system to do it, if it can be done, big if.

No doubt it is a big if.  We will just have to see what happens and pray Mariota is there at 6. 

No doubt it is a big if.  We will just have to see what happens and pray Mariota is there at 6. 

Agree, lets see. As I said it would be awesome if he can be even decent, the team is around him to have a fun season if he can. I will admit that Geno was handled horribly from day one, so anything is possible.

Personally, I hope if Mariota is the guy, they let him sit a season. I think it would be a big mistake to start him from day one, he just isn't ready for that at this point.

Alex Smith comes to mind.

None of it really matters  until the season starts.  If Fitz outplays Geno and isn't named the starter, that's when the honeymoon ends.

I don't understand why that would happen since Bowles or Maccagnan did NOT draft Geno and therefore owe him no alliegence. If Fitz outplays Geno, which I believe he will then he will start. I think Bowles wants to get Geno first team reps so Geno will eliminate HIMSELF from contention for the number one spot.

I don't understand why that would happen since Bowles or Maccagnan did NOT draft Geno and therefore owe him no alliegence. If Fitz outplays Geno, which I believe he will then he will start. I think Bowles wants to get Geno first team reps so Geno will eliminate HIMSELF from contention for the number one spot.

Do you REALLY think that?  Wow.... just wow.

I agree....that's why said the honeymoon would be over if they started Geno over Fitz if Fitz outplayed him.

Archived