Sign in to follow this  
JetBlue

Bowles: Geno will take reps with first team, Fitzpatrick with second team

Don't shoot the messenger!  Just passing this along.... 

Jets head coach Todd Bowles said Geno Smith will take the first-team reps.

Newly acquired Ryan Fitzpatrick will take reps with the second team.

“I would be sitting there lying if I said they’re going to get equal reps,” Bowles said (Mehta, March 24).

The Jets sent a late-round conditional draft pick to Houston for Fitzpatrick. It will be a 2016 seventh-round conditional pick that can become a sixth-round pick depending on his playing time with the Jets (Mehta & McClain, March 11).

http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/bowles-geno-will-take-reps-with-first-team-fitzpatrick-with-second-team/

I guess the honeymoon period for Bowles is officially over.... 

Opps, double post, my bad.... 

I quit.

lol! Good one Rutgers.

None of it really matters  until the season starts.  If Fitz outplays Geno and isn't named the starter, that's when the honeymoon ends.

Agreed....  but I don't see that happening with Bowles. He has no allegiance to Geno or Fitz so the best man will play.  

Did anyone really think otherwise??

Have you been away the last few weeks?  

I will never understand how people expected Geno Smith to light the world on fire coming from a spread offense with Greg Salas and David Nelson as his WRs.  It truly baffles me how peoples expectations exploded because Andrew Luck (a once in a GENERATION) prospect stepped in and played well immediately.  I think Sanchez is the reason for this Geno hate on this forum.  The general trend during his tenure was "it hasn't been enough time yet" and since he DID end up failing people aren't patient enough to do the same waiting game with Geno.

He has 2 NFL quality receivers now (Decker will hopefully be healthy this time around), give him a real chance. 

See you are using logic here.  The masses are incredibly emotional and impatient and it is understandable considering the last true franchise qb we had was a 38 year old Vinny Testaverde and before that, Kenny O'Brien and before him Joe Willy himself.   If we are being objective, there is no way he should have been the starter the last two years but we can blame that on the previous regime.   I have confidence that the new CS and FO want Geno to succeed because it will make their jobs that much easier.  They are not bringing any "baggage" from the last few years and will look at everything with "fresh eyes".   They will give him every chance to compete and win the job but they are not handing it to him; he has to go out and win it.   If he does that means he will have geniunely improved and I don't know how any one can be against that. 

I hear you and I've seen everything you're saying.  Personally, as a guy who spends most of his time playing basketball, I think the game is a lot more mental than people think.  I'm of the opinion that a lot of these QB prospects could succeed given the right circumstances.  Think about making the jump from College to the NFL...it's daunting.  Then think about making that jump after your draft stock plummeted because people thought you were a jerk and you were "on your cellphone too much"...that's a recipe for a panic attack.  

The key to developing prospects is getting them confidence...I really believe that. To circle back to myself in the basketball example...I often play like horsesh*t and miss by 5 feet when i'm in a mental funk in a rec game...but i KNOW what I can do when I'm surrounded by my friends playing pickup....the same 18 foot jumpshot will go in a lot more often given equal coverage.  In Geno's case it's pretty hard to gain confidence in yourself in that first year when you really are DOUBTING yourself if you are playing with David Nelson and Greg Salas...all of those incompletions and failures on 3rd down add up mentally.  I wanted him to sit a year no matter what until we got better talent around him...just so he wouldn't get his confidence so low.  That Sanehez injury MURDERED us, it's a lot bigger deal than people make it out to be.

Feel free to disagree, just my opinion

Good point but it seemed like Idzik was pressuring Rex to start Geno to begin with. It was pretty apparent that he wasn't ready.

I never understand why people say they hate Geno. Say he sucks or I wish he isn't the starter but hating him is a bit excessive. I save my hates for our opponents. I root for all my Jet players.

THIS

Thats such a crap way to spin what was really said. 

Bowles ment in OTA's and everything before training came.

He also said Geno is top of the depth chart but Fitz is injured and there other QB not hear yet.

Thats why I don't follow Mehta on Twitter or read anything he writes.

Really? Do you have a quote from Bowles stating this, or is it what you believe? Not saying you are wrong but unless you have some documentation of this, it is just your opinion. Btw the word is "meant", not trying to be the spelling police, just saying.

Bowles didn't exactly give geno the ringing endorsement that Mehta said he did. Today Bowles stated he's the starter for now. Made no mention of 1st team reps. Geno will be lucky to be on the roster in September

Okay here we go again.....

Geno Smith will be the Jets’ starting QB entering training camp says new coach Todd Bowles 

PHOENIX – Todd Bowles isn’t even going to attempt the charade that the previous Jets regime tried in training camp last season: There will not be an equitable distribution of first-team reps between his quarterbacks.

Geno Smith will be the starter entering training camp ahead of veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick ... if the Jets don’t draft a signal caller in five weeks.

“You can’t have equal first-team reps with a quarterback,” Bowles said at the NFL meetings on Tuesday. “Geno will start out taking them, but that doesn’t mean that Ryan can’t take his spot If Ryan’s playing better and performing better… Obviously, we have to cross that bridge when we get to it for him to take the position. But to give the quarterbacks equal reps, I would be sitting here lying if I said they’re going to get equal reps. Geno is going to take reps with the first team and Ryan’s going to take reps with the second team. We’ll let it play out on the field.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/geno-smith-jets-starting-qb-entering-camp-coach-article-1.2160621

The amount of denial on this board is truly amazing...

I listened to the Maccagnan interview today on SIrius and the dude just gets it.   Mac, Bowles, and Gailey are all on the exact same page and not only get along but all seem to share the same philosophy. 

That being said, I don't think Mac is wed to Smith as the starter.   In fact, he said (paraphrasing) "the jets invested a 2nd rd pick in Smith so we'd like to see what potential he has"  or something very similar to it.   He then went on to talk about how Fitz had his best season as a pro with Gailey and he would provide immediate competition to the QB position. 

If anything, post Maccagnan interview I think it's Fitz position to lose come summer.  

You would be wrong...

From the HEAD COACH:  “Geno will start out taking them, but that doesn’t mean that Ryan can’t take his spot If Ryan’s playing better and performing better… Obviously, we have to cross that bridge when we get to it for him to take the position. But to give the quarterbacks equal reps, I would be sitting here lying if I said they’re going to get equal reps. Geno is going to take reps with the first team and Ryan’s going to take reps with the second team. We’ll let it play out on the field.”

Now where are you coming up with it's Fitzs job to lose?  

did you listen to the interview?

Yes I did. Did you read the quotes of the head coach?

Great analysis.

People are panning his last game vs Miami as an aberration or that Miami had "given up".

That's complete BS. There was no more pressure on Geno & the coaches actually let him play, but the BIGGEST FACTOR was Decker was lighting it UP, catching everything Geno was tossing to him.

The game progressed & Geno played with great confidence & made it look easy!

Fans can say what they want about "being tough" but there is a reason during the draft when people talk about "handling NY".

Our fans are BRUTAL to our own players.

Geno is still just a kid, thrown into the NFL by that idiots moves that now resides in Buffalo. People scream at him during games, "YOU SUCK!" Some saying "I f*cking hate you!"

IT IS NOT EASY BEING A YOUNG QB IN THE NFL!

Is Geno immature? Yes, has he done stupid sh*t? Yes!

But, as a fan, I see I guy that has struggled and has been berated beyond believe, torn down in the media on back pages of newspapers, but unlike a guy like Ryan Leaf who completely lost his sh*t under the pressure, (by the way, the pressure of playing in San Diego,lol), Geno keeps scrambling back on his feet & coming back.

With Decker healthy & Amaro not dropping every other ball he finished on a high note. Now you guys can take that away from him with reasons like "the other team wasn't trying" but like players will tell you, "THIS IS THE NFL"

Individuals might shut it down but 80% of players that take that field are playing ball!

I have no idea if Geno can be good, but I've seen enough glimpses compared to QBs we've seen here in the past to know it's way too early to give up on that kind of athleticism.

Let's see what Gailey can do for him to simplify the offense so that he can use that athleticism to his advantage.

I couldn't have said it better myself.  Great post. 

• Upvote 1

If we have a good draft we can go 8-8 or 9-7 with either qb. Geno is supposed to be the worst qb in the history of football we've gone .500 with him and a bad roster once already.

With the worst group of wide outs in nfl history no less....  Okay maybe that is an exaggeration but not by much. 

Geno never should have been drafted by the Jets, it was a dumb move. Compounded by horrible coaching, starting him at least a year too early, and being coddled when he did not deserve it.

He has some physical tools, but he is NOT a leader, which is a damning quality for an NFL QB. He does not appear to be able to read a defense, and his mechanics suck, particiuarly when any pressure is applied whatsoever.

Mechanics can be improved to an extent, reading a defense as well, but leadership is a quality you either have or dont have. He doesnt have it.

You had me until this.  Leadership is expressed in different ways.  I think he showed leadership by taking his benching like a Man, coming back and playing a lot better.  I am sure he won the respect of alot of that locker room in doing so.  

It is hard to come in as a raw rookie or second year player and "lead" grown men, especially when your play was as inconsistent as Genos' was.   When Eli first came to Giants the same thing was said about him (remember the quotes by Tiki Barber?).    Leadership is also about performance; you have to win the confidence and trust of your teammates.  The better he plays, the more confident he will be and the more effective he will be as a leader. 

Bowles is a smart dude, and as a rookie head coach, I don't think there's any way in hell that he is going to hang his hat on a 3rd year QB has shown very little growth over the first two years of his career.  If both QB's perform more or less equally during camp and the preseason,  I would be surprised if Geno wins the starting job.  If the Jets actually draft Mariotta, then I think its a lock that Fitz starts the season as the #1 QB. Just my two cents...

Sorry but your post makes no sense.  Geno did show growth over his first two year, in fact he showed growth over his last 6 games once his go to receiver finally was healthy.  If both qbs are equal, why would you go with a the older guy with little to no upside instead the 3rd year player who is perhaps just now hitting his stride?  Also I thought everyone wanted an honest competition.  You are saying that if the Jets draft Mariota, Fitz wins the job, regardless of how well or poorly he plays?   What if Geno outplays him?  Fitz starts no matter what?  Do you see how silly this sounds?  You are right Bowles is a smart guy and the qb who performs the best will start, regardless of if they draft Mariota or not.  

• Thumb Down 1

Whatever Fitzpatrick is, he is a better NFL QB than Geno Smith. 

He still will have to go on the field and prove that.  Geno is young, has a better arm, more mobile and just going into his 3rd year.  I realize that many people believe he can not get any better but I am not one of them.   The best performer in camp and preseason will get the job and I am okay with that.  If Geno had real competition his first two years he would been on the sidelines and allowed to learn the NFL instead of being force feed before he was ready.   

I'm sorry but I've seen very little in two years that indicates that Geno Smith is "hitting his stride"  He's been consistently terrible with a few spurts of decent play thrown in between over the last two years. I don't remember the last QB that I've seen come into the NFL and be terrible for two years and then all of a sudden become a productive and reliable QB.  It just doesn't happen that way.  In the modern day NFL, QB's come into the league and are either good or not good.  The QB's that start off good usually show legitimate growth every year and turn into franchise QB's.  QB's that start off bad usually just stay bad. Look, don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for Geno Smith, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for him to turn from a frog into a prince.  Ryan Fitzpatrick wont win MVP awards, but he has proven himself to be legit starting QB in the NFL and will give the Jets the best chance to win week in and week out in my opinion.

I hear you but you have look at the big picture.  The guy should NEVER have been starting his first year and really even second year because HE WASNT READY. Of course he is going to struggle!   To his credit, he did play better his last 6 games even if the team didn't overall.   I don't know why people keep saying he didn't show growth when he did.    I respect your opinion about Fitz but we don't live a static world.  Things can and do change and while I agree Ryan has proven he can win games in the NFL, so has Geno.   The biggest difference is the turnovers, not to mention Fitz playing with MUCH better offensive talent most of his career.  

Geno has sucked alot and yet still managed to help the team go 8-8. Even if you account for a couple of flukely wins, he still would have been 7-9 or 6-10.   With another year of experience, better coaching and better players I am interested to see if and I say IF he can break through and develop the consistency necessary to be a winning NFL qb.  Even if Fitz beats him out, that is not a horrible thing for him as he will have a chance to watch from the sidelines and continue to learn.  

It's pretty simple. There is a universe of difference between a mediocre NFL quarterback and a really bad one. Geno is a huge long shot to make the kind of leap in his third season that would make this anything like a competition.

That is why they play the game on the field.  Long shot, short shot is irrelevant.  The bottom line is he is going to get a shot and we will see what happens.   That appears to be Bowles approach.  

He is a better player than Geno and should start week 1 but he is also injury prone and our OL the way it's constructed right now is going to get him killed.

We have signed a ton of OLineman and will probably draft another or sign udfa.  Why do you feel our OL won't improve? 

Leaders dont miss team meetings the day before the game, period. Eli is a bad example, he was a fluke run from being as big of a bust as Sanchez.

I have never once heard a teammate standup for Geno, or go out on a limb for him. Hell, they even did that for Sanchez, never once.

Geno is never going to be a leader, and he will never be a quality NFL QB, the sooner the Jets realize that, the sooner we can move on to the next guy.

So you say.  Decker has already "stood up" for Geno but that probably doesn't count.  So has several other players so sorry you are wrong there.  

Then I give you a local example of Eli and and the best you can do is say it's a "fluke"?   Sorry but that doesn't cut it.  

You can state your opinions all you want but you saying something doesn't make it true.  One thing I learned in life is to ignore the naysayers and know it alls.  I have seen to  many cases of people proving folks like you wrong.   Glad the CS is not taking your advice; fortunately they are smart enough to let the guy sink or swim as it is their and teams best interest to do so rather then listen to fans who "know" Geno (all of 24 years of age) will NEVER be a leader or a quality qb blah, blah, blah, etc.    I don't know if he will or won't be and I am honest enough to admit it.  

When I 1st read this thread, I ran to my bedroom, turned on the News and was extremely happy to see that my worst fears were not realized.  I thought for Sure they would be a thousands of Jet fans leaping to their deaths off what ever local  bridge they could reach.

So happy to see it's not that serious.

No they just choose to "interpret" the news to fit their preconceived notions and agendas... 

I agree and am totally fine with a legitimate QB competition in camp and during the preseason and may the best man win. I hear what you're saying about Geno being thrown to the wolves the first two years and that he probably had no business starting even one game, not to mention the fact that management did him absolutely no favors by surrounding him with a very pedestrian, to put it mildly, offense as well.  Yes, he has shown flashes of being decent in a few games here and there, but even the worst QB's in the league can have a few good games.  What I'm looking for is consistency, and Geno hasn't shown to be consistent in any aspect of being a QB so far.  As I've said, his circumstances have been poor, but I still just don't get the feeling he's all of a sudden going to turn it around.  I hope I'm wrong.

Fair enough, I appreciate your point of view and I somewhat agree with you. I can deal with a logical and well reasoned thought process like yours.  His biggest issues in my opinion is 1. ball security, 2. understanding game situations; if he can significantly improve in this area I think he will be more consistent.  It remains to be seen if he can improve enough to make a difference. 

Hey, if you want to have this faith in Geno, knock yourself out. I think he is a never was, and never will be. 

I have seen enough of him to feel confident with my convictions. That said, everything that everyone thinks here is opinion, not fact, so not sure what you are expecting, some qualification along with every statement?

I have faith in Bowles and Chan Gailey to put him in the best position to succeed. It is up to him what he does with this last opportunity.   I am just a glass half full kind of guy and willing to see what the guy does.  There are other examples of players who struggled their first few years and turned things around.  

I hope your right, it would be by far the best situation for us all. I agree that there are players who have turned it around, I just don't think Geno has it. Most of the guys who turned it around had more there IMO, but I do think Gailey has the right system to do it, if it can be done, big if.

No doubt it is a big if.  We will just have to see what happens and pray Mariota is there at 6. 

We haven't signed anyone good

Don't know if I agree with that. You don't have to have pro bowl talent at every position.  They just have to do their jobs individually and has a unit. 

I don't understand why that would happen since Bowles or Maccagnan did NOT draft Geno and therefore owe him no alliegence. If Fitz outplays Geno, which I believe he will then he will start. I think Bowles wants to get Geno first team reps so Geno will eliminate HIMSELF from contention for the number one spot.

Do you REALLY think that?  Wow.... just wow.

Maybe Bowles actually uses scout teams to prepare Geno for what he will actually see on the field.

Unlike Rex who just unleashes his defense on the QB so that he can talk about his defense being top 5 even before they take the field.

Rex is a QBs nightmare, I go back to listening to Steve Young after witnessing the MNF game Jets vs Fins when we threw the ball 3 times in the 1st half. Young was just dumbfounded.

He didn't want to be flat out critical directly of Ryan but he was seething in his disdain of the neutering of the QB.

If you go back through Genos short career you see many instances of him making plays in a 2 minute hurry up. Less thinking & using your athleticism. It's talked about all the time in this league how a QB has a better chance of succeeding in say Green Bay under their coaching.

David Carr was a prefect example. He had talent but the absolute punishment he received behind a bad Oline ruined is head.

Sanchez was similar, when he played with confidence he was average & actually made some plays. When the line & the players around him eroded he took way too many hellacious shots! Some like Von Miller in Denver were dirty & absolutely late hits ignored by the refs which I will never understand. You want to protect QBs, protect them all equally.

Even Geno was hit low a couple of times last year with no flag?

I'm willing to let this ENTIRELY NEW REGIME determine whether Geno can play. We've already started by adding an awesome WR in Marshall, a guy that has a HUGE CATCH RADIUS. Decker now moves into the #2 where he will have a lesser CB trying to stop him.

Amaro needs to step it up this year!

I'm hoping we draft a stud RB too so we truly have a slash (Gurley) & crash (Ivory).

Let's at least give Geno a chance with a REAL OFFENSE, 2- WRs, TE, RB, like every other successful QB in this league!

Look at GB, Dallas,Steelers, Chargers, skill players on offense.

When Bowles benches Fitz for Geno, I'll realize he just doesn't have it but until that time comes he's a NY Jet that I'm cheering for to become successful & solve our QB problem.

I think you mean Geno for Fitz but I understand what you are saying and I totally agree with you.  We draft a back like Ajayi and receiver like Dorsett our offense will truly explosive.  We do also need to add a quality Olineman or two if possible and then look out! Under Gaileys mentorship, Geno may finally reach his potential. 

Our offensive line is going to wreck our season next year unless something is done.

I think you are totally overstating the case regarding our offensive line.  As poorly as the team played last year overall, the offensive line graded out pretty well.  We have added Carpenter who should compete for a starting guard spot, we have several young talented players like Aboushi and Dozier that are still getting their feet wet and most likely we will sign another veteran who gets cut (Evan Mathis?) between now and the end of preseason.  We have more veteran depth than anytime in the last 5 years, not to mention we will probably draft a prospect in the middle rounds, I think we will be fine.  

• Upvote 1

What does Fitzpatrick have to prove?  He's been an effective QB for years, and was particularly effective playing for Chan Gailey and the two years after leaving Gailey.

The burden of proof is on Geno Smith.  Not only does he have to prove he can be more than a turnover machine, he has to prove he has a higher ceiling than Fitzpatrick.  If he doesn't do both of those things there is zero reason for a brand new front office and coaching staff to put their trust in the incumbent. 

I'm fine with Geno getting first team reps, because it should become crystal clear very quickly that Fitz is the better option once Geno has to start throwing passes against our revamped secondary.

Well we will find out soon enough.  Last year Geno was 13 tds and 13 ints.  He dramatically reduced his ints the last month of the season.   I believe he will continue to improve in that area; I know it popular to believe that he is incapable of changing but I don't beleive that.  At this point (which is admittedly very early) this is Genos job to lose.  I highly encourage you and everyone else who doesn't get this, to listen to last weeks JN podcast with Conner Hughes.   Fitz is the perfect fall back option because if Geno fails as most expect to, Fitz will be right there to take over.  However, I can tell you that the CS is hoping Geno wins the job and takes his game to the next level.   I am not confident that he will do so, but I am hoping he does. 

No QB & Oline will have it easy vs the Bills, they will be very tough on defense.

SOJ....  I guess we should forfeit.  Last time I checked their QB was nothing to write home about and our defense isn't exactly chopped liver. 

I, too, hope Geno Smith performs to the level of a league-average veteran QB.  But once he doesn't out-perform Fitz in camp/preseason (which is 100 % what WILL happen), Fitz had better get the starting job.  There's zero upside to letting Geno perform terribly early in the season and cost us a chance at being a playoff team.

No just what you believe will happen which is no guarantee of anything. 

Why do Jet fans want it both ways? All they did last year when Decker pulled his hamstring is complain how our offensive weapons were worst in the league.

Then they complain when a young inexperienced QB doesn't perform miracles with what they call the worst offensive weapons in the league,lol.

Let's give Brady a rookie Amaro (take away Gronk), we'll give him a gimpy Decker, David Nelson, some guy named Graham, and we'll take away Amendola, Edelman & Lafell then replace them with Kerley & the guys above.

I really don't know and it is like it is personal with them that he fail for some reason.  I mean we are fans; don't we want Geno to get better?  It is totally out of the realm of possibility that he beat out Fitz?  When did he become the second coming of Manning?  I mean the guy was released (not traded) from the Texans for Goodness sakes.   Does anybody in their right mind really think the CS is giving Geno the first team reps so he can FAIL????   Your point about Brady or any decent qb is valid.  I mean when I look at what he had to work with as a very raw rookie and young player, it is not surprising he has struggled his first two years. Now he is in his third year, he has a much better OC in Gailey (as it relates to qbs) better offensive personnel with a true # 1 caliber receiver in Marshall to go along with a second year with Decker, Kerley and Amaro not to mention any additional players we add like deep threat wr and playmaking running back. I believe we will also continue to bolster the offensive line as well. How can he NOT improve?   The question is will it be enough to win the job and if so, will he at some point revert back to any bad habits he developed over the last two years.  If so then he will be on the bench and Fitz will be starting. 

1-Geno was an sh*tty inaccurate QB in college

2-Geno is a sh*tty inaccurate QB in the NFL

3-Geno will always be destined for a backwards hat and a clipboard.

Leopards don't change their spots.

Fortunately we are talking about human beings and not wild animals.  

Leopards are not the only ones

You are right; neither do fans with agendas who have to be right. 

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company