Randy Gregory Failed Marijuana Drug Test at Combine

BroadwayJets

Not that it really matters, but I'm actually pro-legalization. I personally just see it as terrible decision making by someone who is in the most important few months of his life. And come on, how many players with "off the field issues" turn into Warren Sapp's as opposed to Ryan Leaf's? And that story about it being built up in his system is a bunch of crap, with as much as he works out and his low body fat he definitely smoked in the weeks leading up to the draft.

This. The player has to know that they're testing for weed, and has to be smart enough to be clean for that test. The drug is out of the average person's system in about a month. It just raises a lot of questions about his intelligence, maturity, and decision making.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Randy Gregory tested positive for marijuana at NFL Combine

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 26, 2015, 1:47 AM EDT

Randy Gregory is easily one of the top defensive prospects in this year’s draft class. Gregory, a standout defensive end from Nebraska, views himself so highly as a prospect that he believes he’s worthy of the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

However, failing a drug test at the NFL Combine won’t help his status.

In an interview with Kim Jones of the NFL Network, Gregory admitted that he tested positive for marijuana at the event in late February in Indianapolis.

“I blame myself,” Gregory said. “And I know it sounds cliché, but there’s really no one else I can blame.”

The combine has set dates. All the participants know when it is. And yet, somehow players still occasionally fail the drug tests they know await them in Indy.

Gregory says he hasn’t smoked marijuana since December and yet still tested positive because of how high his THC levels were.

Seriously.

That seems incredibly far-fetched. A highly trained athlete preparing for the combine, working out several times a week in the lead-up to the event, having not smoked marijuana in close to two months and still tests positive? Not sure I buy that one.

Now Gregory will be in the league’s drug system, which means he’ll be tested for recreational drugs more frequently and will be much closer to a potential suspension in the future.

It could have an effect on how early Gregory is drafted next month.

Gregory is an intriguing pass rushing prospect and his skills will still lead to him being selected early in the draft. However, if Gregory cannot control his off-field decisions, he could find himself following Josh Gordon’s footsteps in the future.

Randy Gregory tested positive for marijuana at NFL Combine

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 26, 2015, 1:47 AM EDT

Randy Gregory is easily one of the top defensive prospects in this year’s draft class. Gregory, a standout defensive end from Nebraska, views himself so highly as a prospect that he believes he’s worthy of the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

However, failing a drug test at the NFL Combine won’t help his status.

In an interview with Kim Jones of the NFL Network, Gregory admitted that he tested positive for marijuana at the event in late February in Indianapolis.

“I blame myself,” Gregory said. “And I know it sounds cliché, but there’s really no one else I can blame.”

The combine has set dates. All the participants know when it is. And yet, somehow players still occasionally fail the drug tests they know await them in Indy.

Gregory says he hasn’t smoked marijuana since December and yet still tested positive because of how high his THC levels were.

Seriously.

That seems incredibly far-fetched. A highly trained athlete preparing for the combine, working out several times a week in the lead-up to the event, having not smoked marijuana in close to two months and still tests positive? Not sure I buy that one.

Now Gregory will be in the league’s drug system, which means he’ll be tested for recreational drugs more frequently and will be much closer to a potential suspension in the future.

It could have an effect on how early Gregory is drafted next month.

Gregory is an intriguing pass rushing prospect and his skills will still lead to him being selected early in the draft. However, if Gregory cannot control his off-field decisions, he could find himself following Josh Gordon’s footsteps in the future.

Now he's either lying about the last time he did, or he frequented it before he "stopped". The more often you use pot the longer it takes to get out of your system. Through all of the training he should have been doing there should have been no trace of it had he stopped in December. Who knows. What an idiot.

This. The player has to know that they're testing for weed, and has to be smart enough to be clean for that test. The drug is out of the average person's system in about a month. It just raises a lot of questions about his intelligence, maturity, and decision making.

Every player realizes they're getting tested, that's not the issue. The issue is that it's absolutely impossible to say when the weed is out of your system. For some it takes days, for others it takes weeks, or a month, it can even take up to a year. They don't know.

Every player realizes they're getting tested, that's not the issue. The issue is that it's absolutely impossible to say when the weed is out of your system. For some it takes days, for others it takes weeks, or a month, it can even take up to a year. They don't know.

Uh, no.

If the guy was 400lbs of blubber smoking like a bad Cheech & Chong movie every day, it would still be out of his urine at the levels the NFL tests for within 45 days or so. That's not what you have here. You have a world class athlete working out every day, presumably drinking tons of water; that sh*t is gonna be out of his system in under a month, easily.

They do know. He smoked weed in the weeks leading up to the combine. Dumb, immature decision.

By the way, there's a certain pass rusher in Kansas who almost broke the sack record last season, and he fell to the 3rd round for failing a drug test at the combine. I'm pretty sure about 31 of the teams that decided to pass on him are regretting it now.

Uh, no.

If the guy was 400lbs of blubber smoking like a bad Cheech & Chong movie every day, it would still be out of his urine at the levels the NFL tests for within 45 days or so. That's not what you have here. You have a world class athlete working out every day, presumably drinking tons of water; that sh*t is gonna be out of his system in under a month, easily.

They do know. He smoked weed in the weeks leading up to the combine. Dumb, immature decision.

Please, you don't know that. You're just making stuff up. You don't know what kind of affect any of that has on a human body and how it affects the THC in your system. And there's not one thing athletically he does at a world class level, give me a break. He's a football player, that's it. Look, you might be right. I'm not arguing for the guy here. Maybe he ****ed up. My point is that you just don't know when to cut off. Even if you're gonna argue that 2 weeks is enough. What if he missed that "deadline" by a few hours? I'm sure if you gave them a deadline, all of them would have followed that advice and passed the drug test. But since none of them know exactly how long it takes for weed to leave their system all they can do is hope and gamble. Either that or just cut weed out of your life for a year or half a year to be 100% safe and I doubt any of them want to do that. If you're immature you're gonna say "ah, whatever, I'll be fine, 2-3 weeks is more than enough" and smoke weed up until like 2-3 weeks before the combine. And then you get busted. Maybe that was the case with him. Who knows. That is immature, stupid. And he deserves to get punished for that. But if you're gonna pass on him because of that when you were 110% sold on him before, then you'll be the one regretting it if he learns from this and starts acting more mature in the future. Maybe this is a wake up call for him.

Please, you don't know that. You're just making stuff up. You don't know what kind of affect any of that has on a human body and how it affects the THC in your system.

What Slats is saying is true he's not making anything up. The guy tested positive for THC and that's the bottom line no matter what the argument.

The question becomes more than just the weed the question becomes is this idiot going to do this crap and get suspended and lose 2 games then 4 then 10 ?? Weed wont effect his play he's still the same exceptional talent the Question is will he put weed before his life and his team and apparently up to this point he has. That's not good no matter how you spin it.

I have a very good Job printing currency for the U.S.. We are tested randomy for marijuana ... I'm not going to have a positive test, you know why ? because I'm not going to put my job and my life in jeopardy ,,,and I loved to smoke just not anymore.

Sometimes you just have to use your brains

Please, you don't know that. You're just making stuff up. You don't know what kind of affect any of that has on a human body and how it affects the THC in your system. And there's not one thing athletically he does at a world class level, give me a break. He's a football player, that's it. Look, you might be right. I'm not arguing for the guy here. Maybe he ****ed up. My point is that you just don't know when to cut off. Even if you're gonna argue that 2 weeks is enough. What if he missed that "deadline" by a few hours? I'm sure if you gave them a deadline, all of them would have followed that advice and passed the drug test. But since none of them know exactly how long it takes for weed to leave their system all they can do is hope and gamble. Either that or just cut weed out of your life for a year or half a year to be 100% safe and I doubt any of them want to do that. If you're immature you're gonna say "ah, whatever, I'll be fine, 2-3 weeks is more than enough" and smoke weed up until like 2-3 weeks before the combine. And then you get busted. Maybe that was the case with him. Who knows. That is immature, stupid. And he deserves to get punished for that. But if you're gonna pass on him because of that when you were 110% sold on him before, then you'll be the one regretting it if he learns from this and starts acting more mature in the future. Maybe this is a wake up call for him.

Yes I do. It's science. Pretty simple science actually. I know you hear this a lot, but you're the one who doesn't know what they're talking about. The Internet is a wonderful place, and Gregory could've simply looked up how long weed stays in one's system, and stopped accordingly. Body fat and water consumption play major roles in how long the drug remains in your urine. His story that he stopped in December is a lie, which compounds the dumb/immature problem, IMHO.

And yet, I never said not to draft him because of it, so don't put those words in my mouth. But teams do have to take these facts into consideration if/when they decide to take him.

And a college player expected to be a top ten draft pick in the NFL is a world class athlete. Lol.

I played with a guy in the 80s who said he did coke because it was out of your system so much faster.  As long as they gave him a little head's up on the test date he had no problem.  He said not to smoke weed because they never gave you enough lead time for it to get out of your system, but when they said to drink a lot of water before practice next Thursday he knew to lay off the blow. 

Why are players so freakin stupid that they throw away millions ? Roids , Drugs , Violence it just boggles my mind that these idiots who are basically getting a free pass in life just destroy it over and over.

Roids and violence are part of the life.  You are not going to succeed without them.  Recreational drugs are probably a side effect of the other two. 

Not that it really matters, but I'm actually pro-legalization. I personally just see it as terrible decision making by someone who is in the most important few months of his life. And come on, how many players with "off the field issues" turn into Warren Sapp's as opposed to Ryan Leaf's? And that story about it being built up in his system is a bunch of crap, with as much as he works out and his low body fat he definitely smoked in the weeks leading up to the draft.

Bingo.

The guy is an idiot.

That said, he might be worth the risk lower down in the draft, say in latter part of Round 1 or Round 2, if he falls that far... especially now that Herm has been assigned as his mentor. :-)

This ^

If you cant stop smoking weed (I'm assuming it's weed) weeks before securing a top 10 pick and millions of dollars, you probably don't make the best decisions. Regardless of where you stand on making weed legal, it just speaks to terrible decision making.

He's a young kid that made a dumb choice. It probably involved alcohol and pusssy. If he slips to the 2nd round and we get him it would be a huge pick. He has a chance to be solid.

The issue about marijuana use is getting out of control.  While I am not a conspiracy theorist to the degree of some, it wreaks of big pharmaceutical companies.  Marijuana is used by many athletes to control pain levels at a MUCH safer level than most pain meds prescribed today.  Its time for sports to get with the times, not to mention the evidence.

Whatever he did, it just shows very poor judgment on his part.  To take a risk like this on the cusp of being drafted and making tons of money is downright stupid and is a red flag if you ask me.  Not because of the drugs, mind you, because of the lack of restraint and stupidity. 

Because he's too dumb to stop smoking it, and Goodell is Ceausescu when it comes to the devil's lettuce.

Exactly.  The combine is the biggest day of your life and millions of dollars are at stake for you and you can't control your problem?   Dude is trouble.

One has nothing to do with the other. We don't know if it's an addiction with him. Failing a drug test and having smoked pot months ago doesn't mean anything. I'd assume most players have done that. That doesn't mean they're addicted to it. Now it's being reported that he was addicted to weed years ago. He claims he's not anymore. If he still is, it's an issue. If he can control it, it's not an issue. Pretty simple...

You can't get 'addicted' to weed.

I wouldn't be shocked if he fell to the 2nd round knowing GMs.  Look at Josh Gordon.  He might be one of the top 5 WRs in the NFL but teams probably wouldn't touch him at this point because of Goodell's draconian policies.  Ray Rice got a few games for assault while Gordon was fortunate to not be banned a full season for inhaling the fumes of a plant that is legal in several states.  Then again, the NFL is hooked into government (think Bob Costas gun control rant, "salute to service" military propaganda, etc), who wants to portray weed as evil so it can continue to profit off the drugs that it ships in (not joking either) to fund CIA black ops type stuff.  But back to football - I hope we have a shot to grab him in the 2nd round.

This ^

If you cant stop smoking weed (I'm assuming it's weed) weeks before securing a top 10 pick and millions of dollars, you probably don't make the best decisions. Regardless of where you stand on making weed legal, it just speaks to terrible decision making.

X1,000,000      If the rules said I couldn't play freakin' Candy Land I'd quit cold turkey.....and man I really love Candy Land

Archived