Is Mariota THAT Much Better than Hundley?

JetBlue

I am not so sure.  In fact, he is just as mobile perhaps even more elusive and has a bigger arm.  The kid definitely has a good head on his shoulders and is the Anti-Winston off the field. 

If Mariota is gone or if we work out a trade with Philly, I would take him at 20.  Otherwise I think Philly may grab him.   If we go pass rusher at 6th and if he is there at 37 I can see us taking him.   I see him as a bigger, stronger version of Russell Wilson. 

Here his is with Jon Gruden - 

On  First Take - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP7q5Dg0j68

If he came out last year, he would have been the first qb taken.  

It's funny I was watching some of his highlights from both 2014 and 2013; in the 2013 highlights I kept seeing #1 making plays then I realized that was Shaq Evans :-)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He probably is just as mobile as Mariota, and he probably does have a bigger arm. But those are 2 things I'm not sure too many teams really care about that much. Kaep is more mobile and has a bigger arm than Russell Wilson but I think it's obvious who the better QB is. From what I've read it sounds like Hundley is closer to being another EJ Manuel or Geno Smith intstead of a Cam Newton. Can he read / understand defenses? Blitzing schemes? Is he accurate? Does the ball come out fast? I think Mariota is way ahead of him in those areas. :-k

I don't think it's even that close.   

Hundley is the type of QB that gets GMs fired for picking them high or gets a contract extension for picking him low, because they offer a ton of potential with the right coaching, but in more cases than not, he can't turn the corner.   If you can get him later in the draft, then it's worth it.  To me, he's an athletic Ryan Mallet (not as good as an arm though) but someone that needs to sit for atleast one year, if not two before he can take over a team.  If you think Geno has trouble reading defenses, Hundley is worse.    The third?  Sure, I can see why we could take a shot at him there.  But the high second and any pick in the first would be too high of a pick for him. 

No, I actually don't think he's that much better. I think it's close.

Exactly.  It will be very interesting to see when and where he is drafted.  The guy has a very good head on his shoulders and and is nothing like Kaep from a mental standpoint.  Like Mariota, he needs to sit and learn but he has all the tools. 

I don't think it's even that close.   

Hundley is the type of QB that gets GMs fired for picking them high or gets a contract extension for picking him low, because they offer a ton of potential with the right coaching, but in more cases than not, he can't turn the corner.   If you can get him later in the draft, then it's worth it.  To me, he's an athletic Ryan Mallet (not as good as an arm though) but someone that needs to sit for atleast one year, if not two before he can take over a team.  If you think Geno has trouble reading defenses, Hundley is worse.    The third?  Sure, I can see why we could take a shot at him there.  But the high second and any pick in the first would be too high of a pick for him. 

You point is well taken.  If he is there in the 3rd I hope we take him but I don't think he will last that long.  I think he goes in the 2nd. I agree about sitting a year but isn't that what everyone is saying about Mariota and he is projected to go to us at 6.  Btw regarding his arm, I don't know where you get that his arm is not as good as Ryan Mallet.  His arm is every bit as good if not better than Mariota thats for sure. 

Check into how many times he's been sacked. Watched a game vs. utah and he was dropped 8 times and wasn't very accurate

So you watched 1 game; he was sacked 8 times and wasn't accurate.  Hmmmmmm.......

Hundley going in the first round would be shocking. Not worth it.

Probably not but  I could see some team going for him.  More likely he lasts to 3rd but won't be surprised if Philly takes him at some point if we don't. 

He probably is just as mobile as Mariota, and he probably does have a bigger arm. But those are 2 things I'm not sure too many teams really care about that much. Kaep is more mobile and has a bigger arm than Russell Wilson but I think it's obvious who the better QB is. From what I've read it sounds like Hundley is closer to being another EJ Manuel or Geno Smith intstead of a Cam Newton. Can he read / understand defenses? Blitzing schemes? Is he accurate? Does the ball come out fast? I think Mariota is way ahead of him in those areas. :-k

Totally disagree; from a leadership and personality stand point l he is much more like Wilson.   Can he read defenses or Blitzing schemes?  Can Mariota?  Why do you think Mariota is WAY ahead of him?  The are both to a degree projects who need to sit a year.   I do believe Mariota is ahead of him but WAY ahead?  No I don't think so.   The bottom line is he needs to sit and learn for a year or two but his upside is just as high in my opinion. 

I wasn't comparing their personalities. I haven't really watched both of them much, let alone studied them. They both face the same learning curve that guys like Manziel were facing, and Kaepernick, Bridgewater and so on. But I think most people would say Mariota is further along and has a better shot at making that transition compared to Hundley. In the end, as always, it's not just 100% up to the players how they turn out and if they succeed in the NFL or not. If Hundley gets picked up by somebody who committs to him and builds the offense around him and surrounds him with some weapons, he could be really good at the next level. That's what Seattle did with Wilson. If he lands somewhere in an offense that doesn't fit his strengths, that doesn't committ to him, he'll probably fail. Same goes for Mariota. In Philly I think he could be a Pro Bowl type QB like Kaep was in his first year as a starter. If he lands somewhere else, like Buffalo for instance, I don't think he's gonna be that good.

Either way, I rather stick with Geno instead of spending a top ~5 pick on Mariota or an early 2nd round pick (again) on a guy like Hundley. Winston is a different animal. If he's there at 6 forget it, he has to be picked.

Sacked 115 times in 3 years....

And what do you attribute that too?  Their sucky oline? Rec not getting open?  Backs incapable of picking up a blitz?   

IMO he has pretty good "pocket" awareness for a spread QB, Most of the sacks that you note are tackles behind the line of scrimmage on scrambles trying to extend plays and running plays.  The best guy he had to throw to in his career is Evans and what was he a 5th rd pick?

The kid needs a year or 2 of good coaching. I think Gailey could work with him, and as a Patriot fan I rather have the jets not draft him

And what do you attribute that too?  Their sucky oline? Rec not getting open?  Backs incapable of picking up a blitz?   

IMO he has pretty good "pocket" awareness for a spread QB, Most of the sacks that you note are tackles behind the line of scrimmage on scrambles trying to extend plays and running plays.  The best guy he had to throw to in his career is Evans and what was he a 5th rd pick?

The kid needs a year or 2 of good coaching. I think Gailey could work with him, and as a Patriot fan I rather have the jets not draft him

Excellent post; can't believe I'm agreeing with a Pats fan, lol. But we are on the same page; bring him in and coach him up the next two years and Jets could have their franchise qb. One of things I was very impressed with was his pocket presence, they way he slides around in and out of the pocket like Wilson.  By the way Evans was a 4th rounder I am hoping for big things from him this year.   

I wasn't comparing their personalities. I haven't really watched both of them much, let alone studied them. They both face the same learning curve that guys like Manziel were facing, and Kaepernick, Bridgewater and so on. But I think most people would say Mariota is further along and has a better shot at making that transition compared to Hundley. In the end, as always, it's not just 100% up to the players how they turn out and if they succeed in the NFL or not. If Hundley gets picked up by somebody who committs to him and builds the offense around him and surrounds him with some weapons, he could be really good at the next level. That's what Seattle did with Wilson. If he lands somewhere in an offense that doesn't fit his strengths, that doesn't committ to him, he'll probably fail. Same goes for Mariota. In Philly I think he could be a Pro Bowl type QB like Kaep was in his first year as a starter. If he lands somewhere else, like Buffalo for instance, I don't think he's gonna be that good.

Either way, I rather stick with Geno instead of spending a top ~5 pick on Mariota or an early 2nd round pick (again) on a guy like Hundley. Winston is a different animal. If he's there at 6 forget it, he has to be picked.

Fair enough; I just think Hundley may have that "it factor".  When I watch the guy and especially when I listen to him I see a guy who gets it and is willing to put in the work.  He is not a Kaep prima donna type. 

You point is well taken.  If he is there in the 3rd I hope we take him but I don't think he will last that long.  I think he goes in the 2nd. I agree about sitting a year but isn't that what everyone is saying about Mariota and he is projected to go to us at 6.  Btw regarding his arm, I don't know where you get that his arm is not as good as Ryan Mallet.  His arm is every bit as good if not better than Mariota thats for sure. 

I think there is a good chance he goes in the second because there are going to be too many teams in need of a QB besides us for the future that someone will move him up the board.  So far, I'd say Eagles, Titans (2nd), Bears (2nd), Browns, Arizona, Houston, and others could all be in play for him.   

To me personally, I think Mariotta is a much faster learner, and seemed to develop at a higher rate than Hundley.  I'm not sure Hundley would be nearly as ready to go after 1 year as Mariotta, so his second year is going to be a standard rookie year type we see from most QBs (ie, struggling with reads, turn over issues).  The downside is that, if everything turns out good, and he becomes a good QB, we only get one year of good production at cheap value because as a second round pick, we only get 4 years of total control (Hence why the Vikings move last year to get Teddy in the first was brilliant).  So one year where we would get great value from him for the money we pay him, before we pay through the roof for the QB is pretty much the best case scenario, IMO.  Hundley also ran a somewhat simple offense at UCLA, so he would have to adjust to a system learning curve and cut down on his mistakes at the same time.

Mariotta on the other hand, I think is a much faster learner from his progression year to year, and he doesn't need to cut down on his mistakes nearly as much, needs a system adjustment though.  At the combine, Mariotta was an inch taller, and just 4 lbs lighter than Hundley, so the size aspect doesn't really change much between them.  Hundley has a better arm for sure, but Mariotta is much better in terms of accuracy, and his arm is strong enough.   

I also see a lot of times where the WRs have to adjust to the ball that Hundley throws, a bunch of YAC left on the field because guys had to slow down, turn around or dive backwards for the ball.  Very similar to how Sanchez had problems leading WRs.  I think that was one of the few positives I took from watching Evans last year (after the draft) because it seemed Hundley held him back a bit.  

He definitely has potential though, the arm is real.  Mallet was rated as truly elite arm, I think Hundley is a step below that.  But I'm not sure how good Hundley is at reading defenses, when he ran a good system that had simple reads as well in college, yet still found plenty of mistakes.   I don't know if the difference between him and Geno are going to be drastic enough to make the plunge even in the second honestly.  

I think Mariota is notably better. Either way I wouldn't draft Hundley over Petty. If we don't get Mariota at 6, I'd be in favor of Petty in the 3rd. But who knows, they could all be gone by the time we pick again, and then we are reaching early.

Fair enough; I just think Hundley may have that "it factor".  When I watch the guy and especially when I listen to him I see a guy who gets it and is willing to put in the work.  He is not a Kaep prima donna type. 

How does he compare to Geno? Is he a better prospect/talent? The big issue with Geno is more his attitude, off the field, he doesn't really strike me as a leader, somebody who studies a lot. Same with EJ Manuel. Russell Wilson is the exact opposite.

YES!!!

Here's the problem: You draft Mariota at 6, he does not get the luxury of sitting for a year and learning, like 90 percent of QB's OUGHT to do in their first year.  He will have to play right away, because nobody is going to want to see the 6th overall pick in the draft holding a clipboard.

With Hundley, he would get the luxury of doing that, being drafted in the 2nd round.  So the question has to be this: Is Mariota going to be THAT good, that he can come right in and adapt to the NFL right from the get go, or is Hundley just as good of a pick, drafting him 2nd and letting him sit and learn for a year?

Hundley is a good athlete, and a God awful QB even by college standards. At the combine he just reinforced his inability to make NFL throws. His accuracy makes Geno look like a neurosurgeon. DB's will feast on his always late throws outside. My rating on him is a solid "Oh, hell no!".

From what I've read it sounds like Hundley is closer to being another EJ Manuel or Geno Smith intstead of a Cam Newton.

Daniel Jeremiah of the NFL Network likened Hundley's game to those sort of players. He said he was a lot like Kaepernick but not so much Cam Newton. Kaepernick is struggling almost as much as RGIII in being a pocket passer so I would say Hundley will also.  

Daniel Jeremiah of the NFL Network likened Hundley's game to those sort of players. He said he was a lot like Kaepernick but not so much Cam Newton. Kaepernick is struggling almost as much as RGIII in being a pocket passer so I would say Hundley will also.  

I think he has a lot to learn but if you listen to him in interviews, he seems like someone who is willing to put in the work to get better.  Again he is a developmental prospect.  With the right coaching and system he could develop into a very good quarterback but you would need to be patient and unfortunately that is the one thing most fans are not. 

It's all conjecture.

Makes me laugh reading all of the "expert" opinions regarding the QBs. Who the hell knows? Other than Andrew Luck when he came out they all question marks.

This idea that if you take Mariota you HAVE TO PLAY is so stupid.

We have a veteran in Fitzy & another player in Geno who's story is far from told despite what 25% of the fanbase that hates him thinks.

I know it's what we do here but the fans that are surer than sh*t telling us how well a player will do in the NFL is ridiculous.

It's all conjecture.

Makes me laugh reading all of the "expert" opinions regarding the QBs. Who the hell knows? Other than Andrew Luck when he came out they all question marks.

We have a veteran in Fitzy & another player in Geno who's story is far from told despite what 25% of the fanbase that hates him thinks.

I know it's what we do here but the fans that are surer than sh*t telling us how well a player will do in the NFL is ridiculous.

I totally agree. If the previous CS/FO were a little more patient with Geno we might not even be having this discussion as last year would have probably have been his first year starting and who knows how much a year on the sidelines would have helped him.  (The Sanchez injury really set him back as he was forced into starting way before he was ready...).  I am confident that this regime will do the right thing and let Mariota watch from the sidelines, assuming he is even there at 6. 

It's all conjecture.

We have a veteran in Fitzy & another player in Geno who's story is far from told despite what 25% of the fanbase that hates him thinks.  I know it's what we do here but the fans that are surer than sh*t telling us how well a player will do in the NFL is ridiculous.

Couldn't have said it better myself....  Thanks for creating my new sig.... 

I really hope we don't take Hundley, heard an interview on the NFL radio a few weeks back with him and all he spoke about is how great he is and how his team was only able to run the plays they ran because he was the quarterback. Its one thing to be confident if your a top player in the draft but this guy was insane, even famous Jaemis gives some of the credit to his team mates.

Archived