TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

Meh.  I fell asleep while watching the first episode on DVR.

The only remark I can make is that David Duchovny has the emotional range of a raisin.  I never realized how bad of an actor he was, but that explains why I have not watched anything of his since the X-Files.

Was glancing at it myself and that's the first thing I noticed. Terribly staged

'The Fall' on NutFlux was pretty good. Not so much for Gillian Anderson, but for Jamie Dornan. Maybe my fav Netflix show thus far

It's pretty good.  Yet just stop before the final episode.  LOL

If he doesn't like season 2 or 3 he should stop. Because every season after  gets worse and worse and than the series ends with maybe the worst finale in TV history.

I did not mind the finale.  I thought the show plateaued around 4 or 5.  That is when I had your thought about season 3.  Seasons 7 and 8 have different plot twists, but really by then the show played out.

I'm not sure how you could make it worse. Seriously.  It was as if someone that never saw a single episode of Dexter wrote it on a napkin to win a contest.  I actually liked most of the show until that point.  That just made you feel like an idiot for watching all the episodes. 

Finally just finished Dexter. Loved the Trinity season, thought the season with Tom Hanks' son was very good till the same played out season ending, and hated everything about the Debra storyline. I was actually happy to see her go, lol. Her story line sucked from the first episode of the series. Still, the first season was the best of them all.

Also, I genuinely liked the series finale. Not sure I get the whole outrage thing with the ending. What made it so terrible for you all?

Finally just finished Dexter. Loved the Trinity season, thought the season with Tom Hanks' son was very good till the same played out season ending, and hated everything about the Debra storyline. I was actually happy to see her go, lol. Her story line sucked from the first episode of the series. Still, the first season was the best of them all.

Also, I genuinely liked the series finale. Not sure I get the whole outrage thing with the ending. What made it so terrible for you all?

Truthfully I blocked it from my memory. All I remember is him carrying Debra's body out of the hospital on to his boat and Dexter being a lumberjack staring into the camera at the end.

You sir are special, because you're the only one on the planet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truthfully I blocked it from my memory. All I remember is him carrying Debra's body out of the hospital on to his boat and Dexter being a lumberjack staring into the camera at the end.

You sir are special, because you're the only one on the planet.

I'm sure there were little things to dislike, but that's not a function of a bad finale, that's a function of an up and down series as a whole. When the whole series has had plot holes and avoided interesting themes for the generic ones, it won't all magically be fixed for the finale. The end was exactly what the whole show was....consistently inconsistent.

As for the character arc of the main character...I'm fine with it. I don't get the outrage. Was it that Dexter ended up as a lonely lumberjack in Oregon? The fact that he didn't die? The fact that he left his son with a serial killer? All of those make sense in the context of the entire series. 

Edited by greenwichjetfan

The finale made sense in the context of the series. I'm sure there were little things to nitpick like certain plot holes and issues with rushing to an end, but that's not a function of a bad finale, that's a function of an up and down series as a whole. When the whole series has had plot holes and avoided interesting themes for the generic ones, it won't all magically be fixed for the finale. The end was exactly what the whole show was....consistently inconsistent.

As for the character arc of the main character...I'm fine with it. I don't get the outrage. Was it that Dexter ended up as a lonely lumberjack in Oregon? The fact that he didn't die? The fact that he left his son with a serial killer? All of those make sense in the context of the entire series. 

Ugh, you're gonna pull me in aren't you.  Let's start on lumberjack.  Dexter is probably the most metrosexual human being on the planet.  He's anally meticulous, clean, neat orderly...all of that.  The odds of him becoming a lumberjack are downright nill.  It's as if the writers sat in a room and thought "what would be the most hysterically outrageous outcome of Dexter being alive so the audience will literally laugh out loud", and some guy yelled out "I know, lumberjack!"

I guess when you say the finale made sense in the context of the series, you're correct.  The series completely jumped the shark sometime right after the Lithgow/Jimmy Smits period.  Everything after that was totally downhill, to the point it was a terrible show.  People like myself watched it mainly to the point that we felt invested at that point, but the show was just awful from that point on so it completely makes sense the finally was awful, I agree.  I didn't expect the finale to fix anything per se, I just guess I expected that it would be a reasonable attempt to bring the show back to it's original decency.  But that as unreasonable of me.  They went right for the sheer laughable that they had been on track to follow for the last couple awful seasons. 

that last season of Dexter (one of my all time favorite series) was atrocious.  Deb's doing drugs.  Deb's shooting drug dealers. Deb is miraculously cleaned up and straight out of the blue.  Nobody is interested in solving Maguerta's murder, despite all the obvious signs.  Battista and Quinn get no sub plot lines at all.  A total cluster****.  One of the very worst final seasons in the history of series running over 5 years.

Here's how I rate the seasons:

season 4 (Trinity):  4 stars.  It doesn't get better than that.  Lithgow is fantastic.  Even Deb is palatable in her relationship with Keith Carradine.

season 1: 4 stars 

Season 2: 3 stars. Doakes, Doakes and more Doakes.  Love me some Doakes.  

B20JwNpCEAAKEsX.jpg

Season 3 (Jimmy Smits): 3 stars.  One of the most underrated seasons of Dexter.  Smits was outstanding in his role.  If you haven't, watch season 3 again.  It really deserves more appreciation.

Season 5 (Lumin); 2.5 stars   Great set of villains.  Lumin never really grew on me though. All in all, not too shabby.  Love when Dex beats the living sh*t out of the dude abusing his wife's daughter's friend.

Season 6 (Travis Marshall, Tom Hanks kid): 2.5 stars here too.  Hanks was very, very good.  Last scene had us on the edge for the entire time between this and season 7.

Season 7: 1 star.  Just awful.  They ruined the show by disturbing the delicate relationship between Dexter and Deb.  Just ******* awful

Season 8: 0 stars.  Worst season imaginable.  Nothing makes sense.  Contrived. played out.  They wrote this season for the money, put no thought into the plot and ended it all very poorly.  But it's not just the ending... it was the whole atrocious season that never should have been aired.  A colossal disappointment.

that last season of Dexter (one of my all time favorite series) was atrocious.  Deb's doing drugs.  Deb's shooting drug dealers. Deb is miraculously cleaned up and straight out of the blue.  Nobody is interested in solving Maguerta's murder, despite all the obvious signs.  Battista and Quinn get no sub plot lines at all.  A total cluster****.  One of the very worst final seasons in the history of series running over 5 years.

Here's how I rate the seasons:

season 4 (Trinity):  4 stars.  It doesn't get better than that.  Lithgow is fantastic.  Even Deb is palatable in her relationship with Keith Carradine.

season 1: 4 stars 

Season 2: 3 stars. Doakes, Doakes and more Doakes.  Love me some Doakes.  

B20JwNpCEAAKEsX.jpg

Season 3 (Jimmy Smits): 3 stars.  One of the most underrated seasons of Dexter.  Smits was outstanding in his role.  If you haven't, watch season 3 again.  It really deserves more appreciation.

Season 5 (Lumin); 2.5 stars   Great set of villains.  Lumin never really grew on me though. All in all, not too shabby.  Love when Dex beats the living sh*t out of the dude abusing his wife's daughter's friend.

Season 6 (Travis Marshall, Tom Hanks kid): 2.5 stars here too.  Hanks was very, very good.  Last scene had us on the edge for the entire time between this and season 7.

Season 7: 1 star.  Just awful.  They ruined the show by disturbing the delicate relationship between Dexter and Deb.  Just ******* awful

Season 8: 0 stars.  Worst season imaginable.  Nothing makes sense.  Contrived. played out.  They wrote this season for the money, put no thought into the plot and ended it all very poorly.  But it's not just the ending... it was the whole atrocious season that never should have been aired.  A colossal disappointment.

I disagree, I think the was always destined to happen. I would think it would have to.  While serial killers (BTK, Gacy, Dahmer) can appear to live a normal life for years, it is a TV show based around two employees of Miami PD.  One of which is a police officer.

I do not totally agree with your rankings, but feel they are in the right order.  As stated previously, I do not mind the ending as much.  I think it is a self realization on Dexter's part that he can not coexist in society.  I would also have been good with season 6-8 being rolled into one where Deb kills Dexter (LaGuerta's death scene) or the one that happened.

I disagree, I think the was always destined to happen. I would think it would have to.  While serial killers (BTK, Gacy, Dahmer) can appear to live a normal life for years, it is a TV show based around two employees of Miami PD.  One of which is a police officer.

I do not totally agree with your rankings, but feel they are in the right order.  As stated previously, I do not mind the ending as much.  I think it is a self realization on Dexter's part that he can not coexist in society.  I would also have been good with season 6-8 being rolled into one where Deb kills Dexter (LaGuerta's death scene) or the one that happened.

Agreed. The final season was about Deb and Dex hitting rock bottom as Vogel described. Deb hit it when she tried to kill herself and Dex. Dex hit it when Deb died. Anyone who watched the entire series knew that the one person he couldn't lose was Deb. So he decided to call it quits with living this fake life based on some arbitrary code once he lost her. However, he's still a serial killer and his number 1 priority outside of killing others is self-preservation. He wasn't going to kill himself. Just needed to fake it to save Hannah, Harrison, Astor and Cody. 

For me, the seasons go 1, 4,      2,   6, 8/3/5,       7.

• Upvote 1

My whole my whole Tuesday night has been walking around going "I'm not black, I'm OJ!" I'm so excited for this television event, brought to you and I by FX.

1ST episode was pretty good.uh, HE DID IT.  Didn't know Nicole and Ron were getting busy. Suspect one misstep is sleazebag Kardashian was a whole bunch more sneaky than clueless whiny David Schwimmer,  since he walked out of OJ's house with the knife and sweatsuit right in front of LAPD. Starting the fine Kardashian family  tradition of helping get black guys off. (HT, Bill Maher)

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

People vs OJ is bizarre to watch. It's great, but bizarre to watch.

the cast right? I find the cast very distracting. How can I not think about "SHOW ME THE MONEY" when Cuba Gooding comes on screen, or Ross from Friends, or how weird Travolta has gotten. A cast of lesser known actors would of worked better.

6 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I know. Ended up buying all six seasons.  LoL.  Just finish five.  Sooo ******* good

So you are saying you want to know how it ends?  ;)

I enjoyed the show.  I think they did it (e.g. series) just right.  The series was a good length.  Not too long or too short.  Compared to Sons of Anarchy which, IMHO, might have been a little too long.

FWIW I liked the ending.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fishooked said:

Reminders for those who care:

Better Call Saul starts 2/15

Vikings starts 2/18

I have been watching Breaking Bad on Sundance for a second time.  One, I am picking up on a lot of the nuances I missed the first time I saw the show.  Two, seeing Saul a second time and where he was at during BB and how he was in BCS1, is like night and day. I am looking even more forward to this season.

8 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

I have been watching Breaking Bad on Sundance for a second time.  One, I am picking up on a lot of the nuances I missed the first time I saw the show.  Two, seeing Saul a second time and where he was at during BB and how he was in BCS1, is like night and day. I am looking even more forward to this season.

Now that they have laid the groundwork on Saul in the first season, this season should be incredible, especially with him working with Mike again. 

• Upvote 1

The OJ/FX show is so quirky and campy I'm convinced it's intentionally "bad". The performances are so over the top I can't believe it's not on purpose, particularly from Travolta. It's crazy, but I kinda love it...

Pretty sure the whole intent is to make fun of the Kardashians lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't call it a comeback.  Battlestar Galactica been here before.

I saw an article today that Universal is looking to do three movies to try and take a part of the market of the Avengers, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.

It has not been determined if they are going to re-start ala Star Trek or maybe try launch somehow from the 2004 series.

11-22-63 on Hulu is pretty interesting.  Seems like Stephen King has finally been figured out.  Most of his stuff doesn't work in a 90 minute movie.

I don't know that I would have cast Franco in that role, but Chris Cooper is awesome as always.

so I watched the first 2 episodes of OJ last night.  very good.  the bar scene of the knicks game being interrupted is exaclty what happened to me.  I got dragged out to a bar that night, and then had to watch the bronco thingy

its just so disgusting how celebrity can get you anything in this culture.  we are so out of whack

AC yelling at the cops to back off, and they do.    ugh

Saw "Vinyl". A little too much stream of what the eff nonlinear stuff instead of telling the story.Kinda says the producers aren't sure their story is enough or very good. Will continue to DVR it but I don't know. Mick Jagger is supposed to be a big part of it. And the problem with that I suspect is if he wants to put more nonsense about "the blues" in there every 10 seconds instead of telling the story, nobody, not even Martin Scorcese, can say no. Personal thing; some British invasion guys especially Jagger and Eric Clapton  have a mental tick about  telling us  in every interview about "the blues" Screaming Jay Hawkins or Bo Diddley.  But newsflash, nobody who go into rock after 1965 gives a poop about any of that.   And slight spoiler-of all the characters to ....limit ...to only 1 episode you choose the funniest and most interesting one? Ray Romano does something very different than he has ever done before and he's pretty good. Bobby Canavale is okay as the lead. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/10/2016 at 1:44 PM, Fishooked said:

Now that they have laid the groundwork on Saul in the first season, this season should be incredible, especially with him working with Mike again. 

They should give Mike/Jonathan Banks an Emmy right now every year the show is on be done with it.

opinions on Billions so far?

I really like the look and feel of this preposterous show.  Acting is top notch by the main stars, particularly Siff and Giamatti. BUT...

the entire premise is so stupid.. as if he could ever be the lead on this case while his wife works for Axelrod in a managerial capacity.  He would have been forced to recuse from day 1.  But if you can get past that major faux pas, it as been fun to watch.  The scene with Axe and Siff in the pool was beyond stupid. But again, fun to watch.

I nominate Billions as the dumbest premise ever, but still tons of fun to watch.

opinions on Vinyl?

Bobby Cannavale absolutely sucks as Richie Finestra, IMO.  He has always been a train wreck of an actor, having graduated magna cum laude from the William Shatner school of overacting.  It really sucks when the lead character has zero charisma and there is nothing else to compensate for it.  This show is doomed.  It won't last beyond the first season, unless another character steps up to win the viewing audience over..    Well there is always Olivia Wilde to stare at.  But besides the horrible casting of the lead, what do people think?