TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

First season is great. It falls off hard after though

Finished season three last night.  Had a few problems, but enjoyed it overall.  Definitely liked it better than season two.

Recently, saw that season four is filming.  I would watch it, just for the beautiful Alexa Davalos and the lesbian blonde Nazi, Bella Heathcote.

Bella-Heathcote-Comic-Con-2015-Pride-Pre

On 10/20/2018 at 7:44 PM, The Crimson King said:

Mayans MC

Anyone else watching this?

Not bad but a bit disappointed. Plot, characters and action just do not come up the level of SOA IMHO, but then again, what did?

I was REALLY into SOA so naturally I was excited about the Mayans series. I watched the 1st episode, OK but by the 2nd show I was getting tired of having to read everything they were saying. As I'm reading it I'm missing the action above . If I had been born in the Southern part of Baja it might have been OK but since I was born in Brooklyn the show just didn't work for me.

On 11/28/2018 at 8:47 AM, Integrity28 said:

DD S3 is sooooo slow. I know longer care what happens to foggy or Karen, for their melodrama.  It seems like the writers has become a one trick pony, where every plot point belabors the emotional toil  of every single character. 

Season 4 is cancelled.

4 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Narcos is among the best ever, and narcos mexico is the latest and it rules

90 day fiance if you love reality tv

eastbound and down -late to the party. Wow. 4 seasons. I wish there were 40. If you like inappropriate juvinile comedy its for you. How did i miss this?

Oh yea forgot to mention the deuce. A little slow starting off, but picks up. Especially cool for nyc history in the 70s

• 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Caught episode 1 of the new Black Mirror season last night on Netflix.  It's called "Bandersnatch" and is "interactive".  Not their best effort, but very entertaining.

saw this and was wondering...hmm alt endings and such might be fun. I used to love the Choose your own adventure books as a kid....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

saw this and was wondering...hmm alt endings and such might be fun. I used to love the Choose your own adventure books as a kid....

We went through a few choices last night, which were very interesting (some even funny).  A few minutes ago, my son said he stayed up to like 4 AM going through the various (many) scenarios.  Said they got completely looney.  I will check it out at some point.

Not for nothing, but Charlie Brooker is really pushing the creative envelope.

• Upvote 1

On 12/29/2018 at 2:16 PM, munchmemory said:

We went through a few choices last night, which were very interesting (some even funny).  A few minutes ago, my son said he stayed up to like 4 AM going through the various (many) scenarios.  Said they got completely looney.  I will check it out at some point.

Not for nothing, but Charlie Brooker is really pushing the creative envelope.

I just finished my first attempt and did something wrong I guess, our choices kept getting limited to the same junction and then a box appeared that said exit to credits and I thought that would trigger an ending but just got the credits. 

I'll try again later this week but the first go around was a little disappointing. 

Edit to add we did get to one of the 5 endings, just a boring one lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

I just finished my first attempt and did something wrong I guess, our choices kept getting limited to the same junction and then a box appeared that said exit to credits and I thought that would trigger an ending but just got the credits. 

I'll try again later this week but the first go around was a little disappointing. 

Edit to add we did get to one of the 5 endings, just a boring one lol

Not just you.  We were in a few weird loops, too.  I laughed out loud when we chose "Netfix" and he was trying to explain an "entertainment platform" to a psychiatrist in the 80s.  LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

True Detective 3 is great so far.

Punisher 2 is awful. Far too much contrite dialogue. Over-indexing on Agent Madani’s PTSD trauma (annoying and uninteresting), all of Billy’s PTSD and memory loss... just unnecessary masterbation by bad writers. The guy playing the Mennonite is great. I like his story, and I can appreciate the social commentary about corporations, alt-right, extremism, and Russians. I wish they’d gone all-in on that part of it. Instead Madani Madani Madani... similar to where Daredevil is flawed in over-reaching on Karen Paige and Figgy drama. These are super hero shows. A true hero would put these sad sacks out of their misery.

Im also not fully sold on Bernthal in the role. Don’t understand why he gets all roar-ish at times. He’s not Hulk. There’s moments he’s great, other moments he clearly doesn’t understand the character. Frank Grillo should’ve been the guy, but he wasn’t as trending.

Also, they managed to make Jigsaw lamer than the Dominic West version. That guy cannot act at all.

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

True Detective 3 is great so far.

I like it a lot. They brought it back to keeping the story simple and having the show be actor-driven. Even Dorff is great.

The way they shot Ali when he was tracking down the boy in episode 1 was masterful. I was sitting on the edge of my seat when he walked up the tower.

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I like it a lot. They brought it back to keeping the story simple and having the show be actor-driven. Even Dorff is great.

The way they shot Ali when he was tracking down the boy in episode 1 was masterful. I was sitting on the edge of my seat when he walked up the tower.

Yup, totally.

Just finished watching season 6 Ray Donovan this weekend.  I don't know if anyone here likes the show, but it is one of my favorites and season 6 was outstanding.  Love the Donovan's.  And  now Bridgett is officially a Donovan.  

Series has been renewed for season 7.  I thought for sure this would be it's last, but the Donovan's always seem to persevere.  As always Jon Voigt and the supporting actors who play his brothers steal the show.  They are great.

Finished Punisher Season 2 last night and really liked it for the most part. More action packed than the first season. The last 15 seconds is the most “Punisher” Frank Castle has ever looked on screen and a direct homage to the first War Zone cover. Shame there probably won’t be a Season 3 with him truly embracing being the Punisher.

marvel-comics-punisher-war-zone-vol-1-is

• Upvote 1

Finished the Punisher. It wasn't as great as season 1, but had its moments, although I was hoping for more -- especially from Russo/Jigsaw. You can tell the show lost a lot without the Frank/Micro dynamic. Frank's new relationship with the girl was nice, but... a bit cliche. And I didn't think Frank letting John Pilgrim live was very Punisher-like. Even as much as I'd love to see a Punisher/Daredevil duo take down the Kingpin in season 3, I'd say the final scene was the perfect way to send the show off.

Goodbye, Frank. Time to order me some new comics.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Finished the Punisher. It wasn't as great as season 1, but had its moments, although I was hoping for more -- especially from Russo/Jigsaw. You can tell the show lost a lot without the Frank/Micro dynamic. Frank's new relationship with the girl was nice, but... a bit cliche. And I didn't think Frank letting John Pilgrim live was very Punisher-like. Even as much as I'd love to see a Punisher/Daredevil duo take down the Kingpin in season 3, I'd say the final scene was the perfect way to send the show off.

Goodbye, Frank. Time to order me some new comics.

Jigsaw and his relationship with his therapist was hands down the weakest aspect of the show. 

John Pilgrim should’ve been the central antagonist of the season. That guy was f*cking great over the last 4-5 episodes.

• Upvote 1

Anybody watching Sex Education on Netflix?  Uneven, but lots of fun.  

EDIT:  I'm a few episodes into this season's The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.   I loved the first season but find this year's a complete disaster.  It's like the producers sat down and said "how do we eff up our show?"   Too much dialog, not enough jokes, and way too much concentration on her parents.  The first episode had so much fast paced dialog between the characters (read speed of light talking) that I almost had a grand mal seizure.  Complete cluster fuk.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Anybody watching Sex Education on Netflix?  Uneven, but lots of fun.  

EDIT:  I'm a few episodes into this season's The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.   I loved the first season but find this year's a complete disaster.  It's like the producers sat down and said "how do we eff up our show?"   Too much dialog, not enough jokes, and way too much concentration on her parents.  The first episode had so much fast paced dialog between the characters (read speed of light talking) that I almost had a grand mal seizure.  Complete cluster fuk.

Agree... it went from must see to must avoid.

I gave up after 3 episodes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

Agree... it went from must see to must avoid.

I gave up after 3 episodes.

Think I'm done after three as well.  So many douche chill moments with nary a joke or funny situation to be found.  A whole episode in Paris?  Paris!!??  And Midge does a comedy routine in English as a person in the bar translates it?  Right.  Please just GFY.

Seems like they are mired in showing everyone how awesome they are with film technique or dialog gymnastics.  I'm thinking of the scene where Midge and her parents are getting ready in the morning.  Incessant dialog as the shot goes from one room to the other at a dizzying pace.  Again, very little of it was funny.  I looked at my wife and was like, "WTF are they doing?  Where did last year's show go?"

On 7/19/2018 at 4:30 PM, MDL_JET said:

Anyone watching Sharp Objects that started on HBO?? It sort of has that Sinner vibe but 2 episodes in and I don't know how I feel about it. I'm curious what's going on but it's a bit slow.

My girlfriend and I just finished watching it last night on HBO on demand. I give it 5 stars. I was interested in watching it after the Golden Globes. So glad we gave it a chance.