greenwichjetfan

TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

I'm trying to fill the time until GoT starts and I started watching The Wire. Is it one of those shows that takes six episodes to get into?

yea.. took me a bit to get into it.. but it's worth it

Similar to GoT and Breaking Bad. First season is decent. Second season is very good. Third through final seasons are mind blowing holy sh*t awesome. Thing is you need to catch it from the beginning for the payoff to be worth it.

Thank you. I was hoping this would be the deal. It's good so far in terms of the writing and the acting, but everyone I ever talked to about it says it's the gawd drama series of all time.

btw, the one thing I've encountered with people that legit makes me hate them is when I recommend Breaking Bad to them and they watch two episodes and tells me it's boring. I want to hurt them so much. I tell them to just start with Season Three and eat a dick.

Breaking Bad is going to be put in the Smithsonian. It's that significant. It saved Netflix and made streaming media what it is today. Not to mention it's ******* insane. Ozymandias might be the greatest hour of anything ever written.

Agreed. High art. And that they knew to shut it down when they did took huge balls/artistic integrity. They could have gone on for five more seasons.

The problem with live streaming it so far down the line is that we lose the appreciative value of a show breaking ground. The people whom I know who call The Wire the best drama series ever are the ones that watched it real time, back when they were breaking ground with character arcs and topnotch writing. They had nothing to compare it to at the time.

I just watched The Wire last month after completing GoT and True Detective, and just finished Breaking Bad. As of right now 2015, I'd put True Detective above The Wire and neck at neck with GoT, with Breaking Bad above them all. But it's kinda unfair to The Wire because it was the first to do it. 

That's interesting perspective. I think my issue is--and this spans every medium for me--is that I hear the hype and rarely does anything match the hype it receives, which is why I like to see movies I might like the afternoon they're released, before every jerkoff at my job tells me how great something is, only to find out that it's not, in fact, great. I like being surprised by things like Kingsman, which was legitimately cool. Now, when something I see matches the hype? Boner city. Breaking Bad, The Avengers, GoT, fuhggedaboutit.

• Upvote 1

I love you dude but this is absolute horsesh*t. If I had a nickel for every time you waxed poetic on a preconceived notion about a movie, then came on after seeing it and elaborated about how those ideas were confirmed, I'd have at least....$4.65. There is no way in hell you get to claim yourself as an objective viewer.

I am in no way claiming to be an objective viewer, and I know it's an issue in how it affects my enjoyment of things. I do try to limit my exposure to critiques until I actually see something, and as soon as I see it I'll read a bunch of critiques to confirm or contradict my beliefs.

I am in no way claiming to be an objective viewer, and I know it's an issue in how it affects my enjoyment of things. I do try to limit my exposure to critiques until I actually see something, and as soon as I see it I'll read a bunch of critiques to confirm or contradict my beliefs.

I was just thinking more about this because I'm always annoyed with myself when I hate something that is ok, like I can't just allow a movie/book/show/woman to be "ok" without obsessing over why its not better than ok. Like Interstellar, for instance, and DKR. They're fine movies, but I wanted them to be better because of Nolan and McConaughey and Bale and Hardy, etc etc etc. It is indeed a preconceived notion thing--the expectation that the parts should equal the whole. I can appreciate a decent movie that meets the expectation set by its components. For instance, I liked The Waterboy and Night at the Roxbury because they aspired to be trash and they never pretend to be anything else but a dopey good time. I liked Kingsman for a similar reason: they never take it seriously for a second. But when a movie throws down the gauntlet that it's aspiring to great heights, I'm bummed when it falls short and omg excited when they reach them. It's a walk the talk kinda thing. Plus, I'm a miserable prick.

Just heard a radio promo and almost crashed the car. Did you people know that 2 Broke Girls is still on TV?

Anyone watch Taboo? It's promising because Hardy is so good, but the first episode was all about mood and atmospherics and felt a little thin on story. Hopefully that corrects itself. I liked it because it had a lot of Shakespeare in it.

Just now, Bugg said:

Oona Chaplin is his half sister, and the boy is their kid, right? Obviously they're gonan hash out that back story and hence, the title. The Husband understandably hates him, but from the looks of it Hardy would crush him like a grape. Hardy is as always terrific. 

Absolutely. Hardy walking around in a society of dandies should be fun. Just felt a little thin, imo.

On 1/12/2017 at 3:27 AM, jetophile said:

Anyone watching 'Taboo' with Tom Hardy?   I love me some Tom Hardy. He seethes 'just touch me once more!"  Nice mix of history, British law, period sets and clothing, hints at cannibalism, PTSD, tribal magic, murder, ghosts, necromancy, soon to come detailed and disgraceful social commentary on the horrid mistreatment of blacks, the horrors of slavery, and a whole lot of death. It comes out that Tom Hardy's character is also bi-racial, which makes it even more interesting. It's only been one episode, and it's already got a slow burn going on, which is perfectly fine.  Sometimes I think people are just way too impatient for sh!t to blow up - especially literally. Be there or be square.  It's on FX, Tuesdays at 10.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/taboo/episodes

Ah ha! Very nice.

Trying to get through Jessica Jones so I'm ready for that upcoming Marvel series and I can't believe how painful it is to watch Kristen Ritter try to act or fight or emote or speak. 

2 hours ago, gqxluvx said:

Do you hate EVERYTHING shane?

As a guy who seeks to fix things, I'm just predisposed to seeing where things need fixing, and I'm more vocal about things that are sh*t. 

28 minutes ago, JiF said:

Kilgrave is runner up to Kingping as far as villains go out of those series, IMO.  He was fantastic.  That ending...so good.

The guy has the power to make anyone do anything and he wastes it stalking a chick who looks like one of those melting nazis from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

• Upvote 1

It’s not going to appeal to you macho troglodytes, but Fleabag would win all the Oscars if it was a feature film.

Sweet Christ, I just happened upon the trailer for Amazon’s “The Boys" and it looks like it might be the best thing ever made. Starts July 26th

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, peebag said:

Are you sure you're not thinking of the one on Prime?

My bad. Yes

I’m four episodes into Watchmen on HBO and it’s a self-satisfied mess where nobody says anything interesting, the characters are flat as f*ck, and the scenes that the writers think are really clever are Hardy Boys-level tripe. What a desecration of the source material, but even besides that it’s just a huge waste of an interesting premise. Then I realized it’s Damon Lindelof of “Lost” fame and it all made sense. What a ******* hack.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company