TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

On 4/25/2019 at 2:58 PM, JiF said:

Has anyone watched Deadwood?   I started to get into it.  It's a bit slow and it doesnt really feel like it's going anywhere but I do like the acting and some of the situations they're put in are compelling but I'm starting to wonder if I'm wasting my time and there really isnt anything super suspenseful that happens or that it's building toward.

Anyone?  

Stick with it.

Just saw the movie and found out Milch has Alzheimers so that's probably it for deadwood.  

The movie wasnt particularly good (certainly not bad though), it lost some of it's edge via the Swearengin character, but it sure was nice seeing those characters again. 

On 4/25/2019 at 2:58 PM, JiF said:

Has anyone watched Deadwood?   I started to get into it.  It's a bit slow and it doesnt really feel like it's going anywhere but I do like the acting and some of the situations they're put in are compelling but I'm starting to wonder if I'm wasting my time and there really isnt anything super suspenseful that happens or that it's building toward.

Anyone?  

No but it's on my list to start watching.

On 5/25/2019 at 3:55 PM, Peace Frog said:

Ok. 

One of the best single mini-series  TV episodes I’ve ever seen was the 1st episode of The Night Of. 

I gotta say. I just watched for the 4th time episode 2 of Chernobyl (sitting waiting for the GF and am on my phone).  

Simply outstanding. 

the Chernobyl series is excellent - makes me want to go back and re-watch the documentary "Battle for Chernobyl"

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, peebag said:

the Chernobyl series is excellent - makes me want to go back and re-watch the documentary "Battle for Chernobyl"

I want to go back and watch the River Monster episode where Jeremy Wade went fishing in the cooling pond/lake used for the reactors. Pretty sure it hasn’t been 100 years and damn sure it hasn’t been 24,000 years. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

So, so good. Sad. Brutal. Frustrating. Mostly true. 

And Jared Harris is just so ******* underrated. 

20190606_121314.thumb.jpg.9f623fffcb14fdad9a627a3ad58b43a8.jpg

I first saw him in the mini-series The Terror which was half true story/half horror sci fi about 2 ships trying to cross the Northwest Passage and getting trapped in the ice.

He was great in that too.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Barry season 2 on HBO last night. The writing is top notch, the actors are all top notch but Stephen Root has stolen the series. He is nothing short of amazing. S2 episode 5 is a clinic on dark comedy. It will have you howling. If you havent watched any yet get started. Seasons are 8 episodes and each episode is roughly 30 minutes. Only bummer is now having to wait for S3.

Just now, Kleckineau said:

Just finished Barry season 2 on HBO last night. The writing is top notch, the actors are all top notch but Stephen Root has stolen the series. He is nothing short of amazing. S2 episode 5 is a clinic on dark comedy. It will have you howling. If you havent watched any yet get started. Seasons are 8 episodes and each episode is roughly 30 minutes. Only bummer is having to wait for S3.

This. 

Barry is outstanding. 

• 3 weeks later...

blueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.co

Stranger_Things_logo.png

Watched the 1st episode of season 3 yesterday.  No disappointments there.  I hate that all 8 episodes have been released on a single day (July 4th).  Kind of ruins the suspense of a real television series and of course I have to avoid all the message boards discussing the episodes I haven't watched yet. 

Dumb way to release it, if you ask me.  No build up.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Sweet Christ, I just happened upon the trailer for Netflix's "The Boys" and it looks like it might be the best thing ever made. Starts July 26th

Are you sure you're not thinking of the one on Prime?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, peebag said:

So has anyone seen "The Expanse" on Prime?  Is it worth looking into?

Best show on television. Seriously. First couple of episodes are slow but setting up the universe and characters, but its near perfect sci fi. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 2:21 PM, T0mShane said:

Sweet Christ, I just happened upon the trailer for Amazon’s “The Boys" and it looks like it might be the best thing ever made. Starts July 26th

5 episodes in. It’s great, and keeps getting better. Allegory, grit, humor, and mostly good acting. Fun show. Already want more than 1 season.

Great song choices throughout, too.

• Upvote 2

On 7/27/2019 at 9:05 PM, Integrity28 said:

The Boys has been surprisingly good. Karl Urban is great. Most of the acting is good. The concept is great, and the writing has a sense of humor to it.

Plus, this actress is an absolute doll

Erin-Moriarty-age.jpg

Dropped in to specifically ask if anyone was watching this. I binged it in two days. Great twist on the super hero thing, dark, and often darkly funny. And yeah, she's adorable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Chernobyl was good.  I liked it.  Didnt think it needed 5 episodes.  Could have been just like a 2 part series or 1 long movie.  Felt like a lot of wasted screen time but still good.  I enjoyed it.  The last episode as they're breaking down everything that went wrong while he's on trial is top notch. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/27/2019 at 8:05 PM, Integrity28 said:

The Boys has been surprisingly good. Karl Urban is great. Most of the acting is good. The concept is great, and the writing has a sense of humor to it.

Plus, this actress is an absolute doll

Erin-Moriarty-age.jpg

I love it, and agree with everything you just said.

On 6/1/2019 at 8:17 AM, CTM said:

The movie wasnt particularly good (certainly not bad though), it lost some of it's edge via the Swearengin character

And replacing him with Hearst as the primary antagonist, which they did in the later part of the series too of course, but not to the same extent and prior to McRaney turning in literally the exact same performance in the second season of House of Cards.