greenwichjetfan

TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

True Detective Season 3 ūü§™

Season 1 my second favorite show eva. If nothing else it'll have a great soundtrack.

Caught a clip of this in a commercial from the above trailer and recognized a great old BB King tune.

True Detective 3 is great so far.

Punisher 2 is awful. Far too much contrite dialogue. Over-indexing on Agent Madani’s PTSD trauma (annoying and uninteresting), all of Billy’s PTSD and memory loss... just unnecessary masterbation by bad writers. The guy playing the Mennonite is great. I like his story, and I can appreciate the social commentary about corporations, alt-right, extremism, and Russians. I wish they’d gone all-in on that part of it. Instead Madani Madani Madani... similar to where Daredevil is flawed in over-reaching on Karen Paige and Figgy drama. These are super hero shows. A true hero would put these sad sacks out of their misery.

Im also not fully sold on Bernthal in the role. Don’t understand why he gets all roar-ish at times. He’s not Hulk. There’s moments he’s great, other moments he clearly doesn’t understand the character. Frank Grillo should’ve been the guy, but he wasn’t as trending.

Also, they managed to make Jigsaw lamer than the Dominic West version. That guy cannot act at all.

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

True Detective 3 is great so far.

I like it a lot. They brought it back to keeping the story simple and having the show be actor-driven. Even Dorff is great.

The way they shot Ali when he was tracking down the boy in episode 1 was masterful. I was sitting on the edge of my seat when he walked up the tower.

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I like it a lot. They brought it back to keeping the story simple and having the show be actor-driven. Even Dorff is great.

The way they shot Ali when he was tracking down the boy in episode 1 was masterful. I was sitting on the edge of my seat when he walked up the tower.

Yup, totally.

Just finished watching season 6 Ray Donovan this weekend.  I don't know if anyone here likes the show, but it is one of my favorites and season 6 was outstanding.  Love the Donovan's.  And  now Bridgett is officially a Donovan.  

Series has been renewed for season 7.  I thought for sure this would be it's last, but the Donovan's always seem to persevere.  As always Jon Voigt and the supporting actors who play his brothers steal the show.  They are great.

Finished Punisher Season 2 last night and really liked it for the most part. More action packed than the first season. The last 15 seconds is the most ‚ÄúPunisher‚Ä̬†Frank Castle has ever looked on screen and a direct homage to the first War Zone cover. Shame there probably won‚Äôt be a Season 3 with him truly embracing being the Punisher.

marvel-comics-punisher-war-zone-vol-1-is

Finished the Punisher. It wasn't as great as season 1, but had its moments, although I was hoping for more -- especially from Russo/Jigsaw. You can tell the show lost a lot without the Frank/Micro dynamic. Frank's new relationship with the girl was nice, but... a bit cliche. And I didn't think Frank letting John Pilgrim live was very Punisher-like. Even as much as I'd love to see a Punisher/Daredevil duo take down the Kingpin in season 3, I'd say the final scene was the perfect way to send the show off.

Goodbye, Frank. Time to order me some new comics.

18 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Finished the Punisher. It wasn't as great as season 1, but had its moments, although I was hoping for more -- especially from Russo/Jigsaw. You can tell the show lost a lot without the Frank/Micro dynamic. Frank's new relationship with the girl was nice, but... a bit cliche. And I didn't think Frank letting John Pilgrim live was very Punisher-like. Even as much as I'd love to see a Punisher/Daredevil duo take down the Kingpin in season 3, I'd say the final scene was the perfect way to send the show off.

Goodbye, Frank. Time to order me some new comics.

Jigsaw and his relationship with his therapist was hands down the weakest aspect of the show. 

John Pilgrim should’ve been the central antagonist of the season. That guy was f*cking great over the last 4-5 episodes.

Anybody watching Sex Education on Netflix?  Uneven, but lots of fun.  

EDIT:  I'm a few episodes into this season's The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.   I loved the first season but find this year's a complete disaster.  It's like the producers sat down and said "how do we eff up our show?"   Too much dialog, not enough jokes, and way too much concentration on her parents.  The first episode had so much fast paced dialog between the characters (read speed of light talking) that I almost had a grand mal seizure.  Complete cluster fuk.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Anybody watching Sex Education on Netflix?  Uneven, but lots of fun.  

EDIT:  I'm a few episodes into this season's The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.   I loved the first season but find this year's a complete disaster.  It's like the producers sat down and said "how do we eff up our show?"   Too much dialog, not enough jokes, and way too much concentration on her parents.  The first episode had so much fast paced dialog between the characters (read speed of light talking) that I almost had a grand mal seizure.  Complete cluster fuk.

Agree... it went from must see to must avoid.

I gave up after 3 episodes.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

Agree... it went from must see to must avoid.

I gave up after 3 episodes.

Think I'm done after three as well.  So many douche chill moments with nary a joke or funny situation to be found.  A whole episode in Paris?  Paris!!??  And Midge does a comedy routine in English as a person in the bar translates it?  Right.  Please just GFY.

Seems like they are mired in showing everyone how awesome they are with film technique or dialog gymnastics.  I'm thinking of the scene where Midge and her parents are getting ready in the morning.  Incessant dialog as the shot goes from one room to the other at a dizzying pace.  Again, very little of it was funny.  I looked at my wife and was like, "WTF are they doing?  Where did last year's show go?"

On 7/19/2018 at 4:30 PM, MDL_JET said:

Anyone watching Sharp Objects that started on HBO?? It sort of has that Sinner vibe but 2 episodes in and I don't know how I feel about it. I'm curious what's going on but it's a bit slow.

My girlfriend and I just finished watching it last night on HBO on demand. I give it 5 stars. I was interested in watching it after the Golden Globes. So glad we gave it a chance.

UPDATE:  Watched the final episodes of Russian Doll yesterday.  Terrible ending.

Overall 6/10 for the series.  Way too many cliches, awful attempts at comedy (comedic lines), as well as boat loads of exposition. 

Narcos Mexico - I love these shows.  Mexico maybe wasnt as good as the original but that might be because I'm more familiar with the Escobar story as opposed to the Mexican cartel.  It was still really freaking good and the cliff hanger was awesome.  Looking forward to next season.