TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

13 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Just started Stranger Things.

I like it so far.  Also just started Justified.   Also really good.

A little behind the times?  I liked Justified.  I never watched it all, but it was based on a Elmore Leonard story so it had to have its moments.  I really enjoyed it. I don't know that I would highly recommend it to everyone, but there are a lot of people I know will love it.  Stranger things is great, as much for atmosphere and throwbacks as anything else.  Most people love it, but it is funny hearing about it from kids who don't get the references.  

As for Raymond Burr, I never liked him, but that is because the music for Ironsides was literally one of the only things that ever scared me.  That and the Omega Man. I'm not sure if they used that blaring siren sound in Omega Man too. 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

A little behind the times?  I liked Justified.  I never watched it all, but it was based on a Elmore Leonard story so it had to have its moments.  I really enjoyed it. I don't know that I would highly recommend it to everyone, but there are a lot of people I know will love it.  Stranger things is great, as much for atmosphere and throwbacks as anything else.  Most people love it, but it is funny hearing about it from kids who don't get the references.  

As for Raymond Burr, I never liked him, but that is because the music for Ironsides was literally one of the only things that ever scared me.  That and the Omega Man. I'm not sure if they used that blaring siren sound in Omega Man too. 

Well, just getting divorced, so I have a lot more free time then I had a year ago.

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Well, just getting divorced, so I have a lot more free time then I had a year ago.

Sorry to hear, but enjoy the shows!  

My wife finally got my phone hooked up with Amazon Prime so once I finish the last season of Always Sunny, I will switch to Mad Dogs or Sneaky Pete.  We have been watching Downton Abbey together - talk about behind the times!  Fun soap opera and Maggie Smith is awesome, as expected. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sorry to hear, but enjoy the shows!  

My wife finally got my phone hooked up with Amazon Prime so once I finish the last season of Always Sunny, I will switch to Mad Dogs or Sneaky Pete.  We have been watching Downton Abbey together - talk about behind the times!  Fun soap opera and Maggie Smith is awesome, as expected. 

On Amazon, I've watched Sneaky Pete, The Americans (EXCELLENT)  and now in season 2 of Bosch.

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

On Amazon, I've watched Sneaky Pete, The Americans (EXCELLENT)  and now in season 2 of Bosch.

And?  What did you think of Sneaky Pete and Bosch?  I watched some of the Americans when it was on FX, but never really got into it.  It seemed like a quality show, but I probably had something better to do. 

38 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

And?  What did you think of Sneaky Pete and Bosch?  I watched some of the Americans when it was on FX, but never really got into it.  It seemed like a quality show, but I probably had something better to do. 

Americans is far and away the best of the 3. The Americans, if watched from the beginning is 9/10.  Sneaky Pete and Bosch are very good.  

• Upvote 1

I watched The Americans from the start on FX, so I'm ready to pick up on it on the DVR. 

I'm on to S2 of Bosch myself.

I watched Sneaky Pete and Goliath, and am looking forward to Patriot starting up on 2/24. Watched the pilot last year, and really liked it and have been looking forward since. 

I'd say they're all pretty close, but Patriot had me the most interested, from viewing the pilot-  more so than Sneaky Pete, and am eager to see if it lives up to my expectations.

It's definitely off beat and may not be for everyone. It's essentially a comedy/spoof and it's written and directed by Steve Conrad. I thought it was pretty funny and it had some good directing in it also.

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2017 at 4:51 PM, Integrity28 said:

I started watching The OA over the weekend. I'm 2 episodes in. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but I'm going to stick it out a bit for 2 reasons... I've managed to avoiding learning anything about it, and the woman who stars in it looks like she wrote, produced, etc, etc... so I'm giving it a longer leash just out of respect for the creative versatility.

Watched four episodes yesterday.  Not sure where I stand on it either.  Incredibly demented villain and well acted by all.  I just wish they had not glossed over several storyline "holes" and made this into a feature rather than a series.  The potential for meandering is already apparent, which would have been eliminated if the story could come to closure sooner in a feature.

I generally hate comic book movies, cuz, well, it craps on the soul of the 'Batman' TV series. 'Boff!'  'Whack!' 'Wham!'  They were shoveling sex on our newly minted Zenith. I was left wondering if Barnabas was gonna fukk Jeanie and the Riddler or give Dr. Smith a punch in the face.

Haha, we had a TV cart. With wheels that stuck worse than the carts at Bohack's. We had to drag it from the living room over carpet thicker than remnants piled a mile high. There was only two feet to go, but my Daddy had to watch the news over dinner. "Jets game this Sunday, Daughter." "I have a stomachache."  "Rolaids are candy."  My Daddy was a prophet. I really miss that bizarro house. 189th St., Flushing, Queens. To this day, whenever anyone gives me their number, I still revert to FL8. 

TV series are generally awful. They just don't measure up. I saw ten minutes of 'Humans' and made an undramatic fart. Who cut the cheese?  Me. 

2 hours ago, jetophile said:

I generally hate comic book movies, cuz, well, it craps on the soul of the 'Batman' TV series. 'Boff!'  'Whack!' 'Wham!'  They were shoveling sex on our newly minted Zenith. I was left wondering if Barnabas was gonna fukk Jeanie and the Riddler or give Dr. Smith a punch in the face.

Haha, we had a TV cart. With wheels that stuck worse than the carts at Bohack's. We had to drag it from the living room over carpet thicker than remnants piled a mile high. There was only two feet to go, but my Daddy had to watch the news over dinner. "Jets game this Sunday, Daughter." "I have a stomachache."  "Rolaids are candy."  My Daddy was a prophet. I really miss that bizarro house. 189th St., Flushing, Queens. To this day, whenever anyone gives me their number, I still revert to FL8. 

TV series are generally awful. They just don't measure up. I saw ten minutes of 'Humans' and made an undramatic fart. Who cut the cheese?  Me. 

What show is this?  I'd try a couple episodes.

On 2/13/2017 at 2:35 PM, peebag said:

First episode of Legion was tasty.

My mind still hasn't recovered. It's crazy. 

On 2/13/2017 at 6:09 PM, munchmemory said:

Finished the OA yesterday.  One of the most cliche and douche-chill-inducing endings (in the cafeteria) I have ever witnessed.  Started out great and ended dumb.

I loved the OA. Season two is happening. The end was kind of a bit much but I thought it was intense. 

42 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

My mind still hasn't recovered. It's crazy. 

I loved the OA. Season two is happening. The end was kind of a bit much but I thought it was intense. 

Trust me, I wanted to love the show.  The actress.creator/writer is unbelievably talented.  Just didn't buy into it after a while.

6 hours ago, jetophile said:

I burned out my retinas with 'Match Game'. Oh, my. I didn't even know this re-tool POS existed. I was begging for Chuck Barris to gong the whole thing and then beat the sh*t out of the CIA. 

Reruns of the original, Gene Rayburn, version are on Buzzr, a vintage game show network on my cable system.

http://buzzrplay.com

On 1/12/2017 at 6:55 PM, JohnJ said:

Let us know about Mad Dogs

Okay.  It is a fairly old show, based on an even older English show, but...

I'm really enjoying it.  It's not for everybody.  Too much dumb everyday sh*t going on and plenty of times when you just want to smack somebody and get them moving.  Basically 4 old friends meet at their 5th friends Belize beach front mansion.  A bunch of wacky sh*t happens and their friendships are tested.  I really enjoy it because that is what old friends and family are like.  No matter how crazy the situation, you never miss a chance to make a joke or get a dig in at each other.  I think it is pretty funny and anybody that has a group of super close friends and thinks they are all idiots should enjoy it.  

A cat just walked in...

• Upvote 1

On 2/6/2017 at 5:49 PM, JohnJ said:

I watched The Americans from the start on FX, so I'm ready to pick up on it on the DVR. 

I'm on to S2 of Bosch myself.

I watched Sneaky Pete and Goliath, and am looking forward to Patriot starting up on 2/24. Watched the pilot last year, and really liked it and have been looking forward since. 

I'd say they're all pretty close, but Patriot had me the most interested, from viewing the pilot-  more so than Sneaky Pete, and am eager to see if it lives up to my expectations.

It's definitely off beat and may not be for everyone. It's essentially a comedy/spoof and it's written and directed by Steve Conrad. I thought it was pretty funny and it had some good directing in it also.

The Americans was awesome. Its on AMAZON streaming BTW.  Bosch was good, Sneaky Pete was good, watching Goliath right now. so far..so good.

What is "The Patriot"  and where is it?

'The Young Pope', I saw an interview with Jude Law about the show, and as to the Church's history, he was wildly wrong and uninformed. Still good, though. I hope his body blows up like Pope Pius XII. Fug off you Nazi sympathizing azzhole. It's an incredibly funny story. The Swiss Guard vomited their guts out. I think that's when the incorruptibility of Saints was basically sh*t-canned or at least put on the back burner in shssssshhhhh, SECRET. Italians, my people, are generally insane confused Pagans who refuse to admit the obvious about anything. Padre Pio, get a muthafuggin' job.

45 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Oh yeah.  All those shows were terrible.  But it's what we had in the days of seven channels plus what you could see through the snow of UHF.

Hahaha, UHF. I used to flick that around like nobody's business. When all else fails, The MacNeil/Lehrer Report. Damn it, why isn't 'Popeye' on at 3 in the morning? 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, jetophile said:

'The Young Pope', I saw an interview with Jude Law about the show, and as to the Church's history, he was wildly wrong and uninformed. Still good, though. I hope his body blows up like Pope Pius XII. Fug off you Nazi sympathizing azzhole. It's an incredibly funny story. The Swiss Guard vomited their guts out. I think that's when the incorruptibility of Saints was basically sh*t-canned or at least put on the back burner in shssssshhhhh, SECRET. Italians, my people, are generally insane confused Pagans who refuse to admit the obvious about anything. Padre Pio, get a muthafuggin' job.

I thought Law was fantastic as Lenny Belardo in the Young Pope.  Very charismatic and engaging. As preposterous as it was (and what great shows aren't?), this was one of the best new shows to come around.  Great cast, great (and silly) plot lines with an awesome script.  When the show was filmed, they presumed for a single season, so the season finale left him possibly dead.  But the show has been picked up for another season and I am looking forward to it.   Anyway, I really enjoyed the series.  But now almost everyone who Lenny can trust and confide in is either dead or gone.  His mentor played by the always entertaining James Cromwell, his best friend, Cardinal Dussolier, and Sister Mary (Diane Keaton as Lenny's and Dussolier'ss "Ma"), sent to replace the nun with halitosis in Africa who met her fate after Lenny knelt and prayed in the middle of the highway.  Hope they bring Sister Mary back.  So is Lenny a saint?  Does God listen to him?  Will his parents return after turning away in his first public appearance?  Do they repudiate him, as Cardinal Voiello suggests?  Simply awesome.  Loved it.

p.s.  WTF was Cardinal Dussolier doing having an affair with the wife of the most violent Honduran drug lord anyway? The MMF threesome scene with him, her and a dude?  Strange little side story.

On 2/10/2017 at 5:46 PM, JohnJ said:

Twin Peaks returns on 5/21....

I'll have to check it out. Enjoyed it back then.

NEW TWIN PEAKS

THE LATEST NEWS ON THE NEW TWIN PEAKS SERIES PREMIERING ON SHOWTIME ON MAY 21, 2017

Showtime is rerunning the 2 seasons of Twin Peaks from the early 1990's.  Also the very bad movie Fire Walk With Me.  I watched the first 4 episode of the first season.  Forgot how good the late Miguel Ferrer was.

Still, one of the weirdest shows ever.  I'll be watching its return engagement this spring.

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2017 at 11:26 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I lasted about 30 minutes before giving up on Frontier. Boring as sh*t. Who the hell wants a complicated plot and historical accuracy with something like this? If you tell me I'm about to watch Khal Drogo **** some sh*t up for a few hours, then you better deliver. 

I did the exact same thing. And I get trying to be real and all but I was having a hard time getting past their teeth. The theif/boy is in Hemlock Grove which was sorta watchable for the most part. 

Shrieked like Hell. Trust me, I'm not the only person who noticed this, and I noticed it immediately.  I'm just too dumb to know how to make videos. Last episode wandered some and was a bit convoluted, but that's OK. Crazy eye half-sister is wearing a little thin, and the kill scene of the scummy husband could've been done better and it just took too long in coming.  Not sure why they senselessly offed Winter, I liked her; and it was odd how she somehow was living in Delaney's basement, so at one point I was wondering if she was real.

Riddle me this, because I guess I'll have to go back and re-watch, but if James and Zilpha are half-siblings, who is Zilpha's mother? Supposedly it was Anna, but that's James' mother Salish, but wasn't Anna also Horace Delaney's second wife?  What did I  miss?  I'm also not 100% convinced that Lorna Bow was ever really married to Horace legally. James kept harping on his father's trunk for proof, and burns everything ever written to him, only looking for maps. Eh, I'm probably overthinking it. As fun side note, Delaney's kid or brother we don't know for sure totally reminds me of Jack Wild. 

Watched episode 1 of season 2 for Billions last night.  After a monumental season 1, this episode did not disappoint!  I love this show.  Picked up right where it left off.   Great big thumbs up.

I have episode 2 DVR'd and will watch tonight. (Showtime is allowing everyone access to episodes 1 & 2 even if you are not a subscriber.  Best cast on any show running at the moment.

billions-season-2-pic.jpg

11 hours ago, Dcat said:

Watched episode 1 of season 2 for Billions last night.  After a monumental season 1, this episode did not disappoint!  I love this show.  Picked up right where it left off.   Great big thumbs up.

I have episode 2 DVR'd and will watch tonight. (Showtime is allowing everyone access to episodes 1 & 2 even if you are not a subscriber.  Best cast on any show running at the moment.

billions-season-2-pic.jpg

A Tracey Lords idea...

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Bugg said:

A Tracey Lords idea...

It's Traci, not Tracey. :)

I wonder how many viewers will even understand the reference?  Any idea how much Lords' underage videos sell for now?  #Harlequinaffair

Lines like this are why I love the script writing on this show.  It is just laced with subtle and not so subtle references.

I'm laboring through High Castle S2, it's really a shame that the secondary actors - like the chief inspector, trade minister and Smith - are so ******* great in their parts, while the primary actors - Frank, Julianna, Joe Blake - all are mellowdramawful.

I like the idea of them dying off sooner, rather than later. Hand the shows direction to those carrying their parts better.