TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

On 12/15/2019 at 12:50 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Expanse Season 4 is ridiculously good so far. But I dont like the guy now playing Avasaralas husband. Where did Brian George go??

I'm really enjoying it, too, so far. It's amazing how they can keep evolving the story so it remains fresh and never feels stagnant. I'm limiting myself to one episode every day or so, so I can really prolong my enjoyment. After all, some pleasures are best experienced slowly. ;)

• Upvote 1

Finished Mr Robot with the finale last night. I thought it was great, while the wife (admittedly, not a fan of sci-fi) did not.

While not giving anything away here, it vacillated between what I thought was genius story-telling, countered by cliches of "I knew that was where they were going" that so many finales seem to devolve to.

Overall, I thought the final season was excellent. It was a rollercoaster ride of trying to figure out what was happening, then once you think you have it nailed where they are going, there are twists and turns that lead you down a totally different hallway.

• Upvote 1

On 12/27/2019 at 7:54 AM, Larz said:

Episode 8 of mandolorian was very satisfying. Time to binge watch the whole series!

Pretty crazy how they’ve f*cked up so royally with the new movies but have gotten this so right.

In the last episode they managed to pack 10x more awesome sh*t into 45 minutes than any of the movies could into 2 1/2 hours.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Pretty crazy how they’ve f*cked up so royally with the new movies but have gotten this so right.

In the last episode they managed to pack 10x more awesome sh*t into 45 minutes than any of the movies could into 2 1/2 hours.

No doubt. Just the rising Phoenix stuff was better than anything in the last 3 movies. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/27/2019 at 8:54 AM, Larz said:

Episode 8 of mandolorian was very satisfying. Time to binge watch the whole series!

Was great.

So, Moff who cut his way out, he had the Dark Saber.    That was a huge thing in star wars rebels, it was held by the leader of the mandalorian.  Super cool reference.

22 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Critics don't seem to care for The Witcher much, but it's entertaining as hell. And frankly, I don't particularly care about the pleasure of the critics.

That fight in Ep 1 between Geralt and the town dudes and then Renfri made every sword fight in GOT over 8 years look like drunks swinging sticks at each other. Yes, even better and faster than Dayne at the Tower of Joy. It was Prequel Jedis level of fight choreography.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, JiF said:
30 minutes ago, JiF said:

Tried the 1st episode of Game if Thrones and it was unbearable.  I should keep going? 

30 minutes ago, JiF said:

Tried the 1st episode of The Expanse and it was unbearable.  I should keep going? 

29 minutes ago, JiF said:

Tried the 1st episode of The Last Kingdom and it was unbearable.  I should keep going? 

First 2-3 episodes a show is always finding it's way. Not everything has the built in Universe and general knowledge that The Mandalorian has. 

• 2 weeks later...

Season 2 of The Young Pope is about to start up.  Season 1 was in 2017.   They are bringing in John Malkovich to battle with Jude Law.    Season 1 was great.  I think I'm the only one here who watched it.  Its worth binging the 10 episodes.  Jude Law is amazing with that perfect New York accent (he;s a brit too).  The script is outstanding.  The story line is preposterous, somewhat mystical and creepy, and always enthralling.  I don't think Dianne Keaton is coming back (or James Cromwell, whose character is dead).  Too bad.  

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

If you don't ever want to sleep without nightmares again watch Hannibal on Netflix. That sh*t is the real deal when dealing with that genre. Its a loosely based prequel of Lecters life before Red Dragon and SOTL. Really clever, really disturbing and worth the watch. 

Same one that was on NBC, with Mads Mikkelson as Lecter? Excellent show. Strange, but good. 

And yes, I've read all of Harris' Books. I think I read Red Dragon in High School after my Dad read it. And the backstory to the character is incredible. Cannibalistic soldiers on the Eastern Front make him eat his sister? Crazy. 

I always preferred Manhunter to the newer trash. Brian Cox was real world frightening as Lector,  Anthony Hopkins version is like a combination of an effete butler and a Comic Book villain. 

• Upvote 1

Oh, speaking of scary books, I was rereading Salems Lot in the Army years ago. Me and another guy got posted as an LP/OP at a crossroads in the woods at Ft. Benning, middle of nowhere. Company dropped us off at 1600hrs with MREs, our gear, and our radio (SINCGARS). Me and the kid I was with dug a Fighting Position and got it set up, and then settled in to keep an eye out for OPFOR.

I had my book and the kid I was with asked me what it was about, so I gave him the full narrative since I head read it before. When we were done, we did a walk around of our position area and found the remnants of an old building. Of course, It was an old, abandoned church that had been there in one of the small communities that were on the land before Ft Benning absorbed the area, probably in the 1920s or 30s. And, of course, the church had an old, forgotten Cemetery with Grave markers dating back to the 1850s. We thought it was pretty cool, and we revisited our conversation about Vampires....

And then the sun went down. 

I assure you that those two 20 something year old soldiers, alone in the woods, 100 yards from a Graveyard on a clear Georgia night did not sleep a god damned wink. 

21 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Straitharn was a huge surprise in that role, and I love the Ashford character. Amazing character development and acting. 

It's probably my favorite Television show of all time.  

I really enjoy the show as well. Ashford is one of my favorites and Bobbi Draper is a BAMF.

Only issue with the show is that the actor who plays Holden is bad. Guy always has a face on that looks like he just dropped his ice cream cone.

On 1/17/2020 at 3:47 PM, RedBeardedSavage said:

I really enjoy the show as well. Ashford is one of my favorites and Bobbi Draper is a BAMF.

Only issue with the show is that the actor who plays Holden is bad. Guy always has a face on that looks like he just dropped his ice cream cone.

Holden is at his best when he's pissed off, playing off Miller, or finally getting coffee... But I like Strait, he seems like a genuinely good dude and it reflects in the character imo. 

S2 of Jack Ryan was masterfully horrible, like the first season. I explained to my wife it’s the class of tv that uses character dialogue to tell the viewer what’s happening over and over, because it’s al nonsensical and contrived. We basically watched it they the lens of mocking the writing. So many moments of “well, it makes no sense that a trained cia agent would do that, let alone an adult with a 3rd grade education”. Truly stupid tv.

Also been watching Messiah. I was really enjoying the first episode or two, then it became a commentary on immigration laws ad felt forced. I’ll see if thru because I love the concept, but if it’s just going to be leftist virtue signaling, I’m kinda bummed. Regardless of agreeing or not. I just want my tv to be a bit more than the crap I read on fb and Twitter.

• Upvote 1