TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

23 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I hear ya - it was always interesting and I looked forward to it each week, but I don't exactly feel the same way as I gather you do.

I really liked the 1st and 4th episodes - and whichever one that had Charlotte go full Terminator. 

But it felt rushed a little? And that finale, I wasn't crazy about. It felt like there was a lot of melodramatic long looks into the camera and there was some plot choices that bothered me. Idk, that show is immensely frustrating to me - it has some absolutely brilliant moments, a great cast and an always interesting backbone (humanity's relationship with AI) - but it seemingly doesn't deliver the way I think it should. 

Anyways, it was a welcome respite during 'the Rona' and I don't regret watching it. Will watch the next season whenever it drops. 

Fair opinion....I get it.  I thought there was too much in the finale in terms of plot.  That's where I'd agree with you that it could have felt a little rushed.  They could/should have gone with a 9th episode and explored Caleb's role a little more and the whole situation with Serac at Rehoboam (I thought that was a great plot twist).  I was glad they took Season 3 out of the park and into the City.  The addition of Marshawn Lynch was great....sprinkling him in there, and the idea of the season ending with riots in LA was so fitting. lol

There was a lot going on there with Delores and Maeve.  I'll need to watch again.  But the idea that AI/computers are demonstrating a better capacity to change than humans is very interesting.  I thought it was a really strong message to send (and quite fitting during a pandemic and lockdown) that while humans might think they have freewill and can make their own decisions, we're still largely very rigid and predictable in terms of what we'll do and how we'll act.  We see it in society all over the place.  People with entrenched opinions, unable to change in the face of new facts, easily controlled by what's told to them by politicians, media, etc.  The irony that we went thru the first season or two thinking humans were controlling the hosts/robots and how the tables have turned to show us that perhaps we're the ones being controlled is simply great IMO.  And, the fact that it's a somewhat sentient AI (Delores) who has become self-aware and more human that starts to show us this is quite cool.

But again, this series definitely isn't for everyone and I've had to watch some very good post-episode Youtube breakdowns that explain some things, offer theories and kick around some possibilities as to what's going on.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I just watched Justified straight through fir the second time. Still sooo good. 

Ain't it the best?

"you mean I got 4 kidneys?"  Dewey Crow ..

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/4/2020 at 12:29 PM, jetstream23 said:

Fair opinion....I get it.  I thought there was too much in the finale in terms of plot.  That's where I'd agree with you that it could have felt a little rushed.  They could/should have gone with a 9th episode and explored Caleb's role a little more and the whole situation with Serac at Rehoboam (I thought that was a great plot twist).  I was glad they took Season 3 out of the park and into the City.  The addition of Marshawn Lynch was great....sprinkling him in there, and the idea of the season ending with riots in LA was so fitting. lol

There was a lot going on there with Delores and Maeve.  I'll need to watch again.  But the idea that AI/computers are demonstrating a better capacity to change than humans is very interesting.  I thought it was a really strong message to send (and quite fitting during a pandemic and lockdown) that while humans might think they have freewill and can make their own decisions, we're still largely very rigid and predictable in terms of what we'll do and how we'll act.  We see it in society all over the place.  People with entrenched opinions, unable to change in the face of new facts, easily controlled by what's told to them by politicians, media, etc.  The irony that we went thru the first season or two thinking humans were controlling the hosts/robots and how the tables have turned to show us that perhaps we're the ones being controlled is simply great IMO.  And, the fact that it's a somewhat sentient AI (Delores) who has become self-aware and more human that starts to show us this is quite cool.

But again, this series definitely isn't for everyone and I've had to watch some very good post-episode Youtube breakdowns that explain some things, offer theories and kick around some possibilities as to what's going on.

We agree they packed in a bit too much in the finale. I also enjoyed Marshawn in there, he was fun to watch.

And don't get it twisted, I love the philosophical dilemmas the show challenges the audience with. Is Dolores right? Is Serac right? Are their means justifiable? Is Caleb being manipulated, and if so, for good reason? 

Also really enjoyed the transition from the park to the real world - I thought that was much needed and really interesting. It makes me think a lot about data collection and how it can be used as a predictor of human behavior. It's pretty scary, actually. I listened to a great Sam Harris podcast episode a while ago wherein the guest, Tristan Harris, spoke about I believe Facebook and Google, using the personal data they've collected on people, can predict with ridiculous accuracy whether someone is manic depressive (and what phase they're in currently) or whether someone has the very early stages of Parkinsons disease. I thought that was incredible scary - especially considering they're selling this information to the highest bidder - companies that can push adds to the manic depressive (Vegas trips when they're manic etc) and sell that early diagnosis of Parkinsons to insurance companies. 

Westworld does a good job, IMO, of painting a future with those realities taken to their logical evolution. 

So yea, I like the show, I just feel like it has a mountain of potential and doesn't come close to hitting it. It's the Sheldon Richardson/Mo Wilkerson of shows for me. It's not Vern Gholston. It's just a show that has flashes of brilliance and many moments of 'WTF?' or 'that's lazy writing'. 

Anyways, I will continue to watch because highs of the show are definitely high. Thought Ed Harris killed it again this season. "I'm gonna save the f***ing world" haha. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 5:05 AM, Kleckineau said:

Glad you enjoyed but they went way too far off the reservation for me this season. 

Couldn't sit through it this season.  Made it through either two or three episodes and had enough.

"What We Do in The Shadows"-picture "The Addams FamilY" crossed with "Parks&Rec" set in Staten Island, of all places. It isn't for everyone, but an easy 30 minutes with lots of laughs. 

Also BBC cop show "Line of Duty"-pretty good. 

Before I get invested, hearing good things about Italian mob show "Gammora"-anyone seen it? 

• Upvote 1

I've only seen one reference to Sons of Anarchy. A great series, well acted and a great cast. Also Peaky F'in Blinders what a great show, also based on true stuff. Oz captured us and brought forth some of our best actors today. Can't deny the greatness of The Wire and Sopranos both of which I have watched more than 3 times, each time there is more to be discovered.

Now for shows that I don't think have been mentioned. I've been binging "NCIS" for some reason I got hooked watching it hoping Tony would at least get served for being such a piece of doo-doo with his misogynistic behaviors. I do not expect any of you to actually watch it but I got hooked.

• Upvote 1

On 5/22/2020 at 2:23 PM, Tony The Wiz said:

Just completed the Sixth Season of Bosch on Amazon. If you haven't watched all 6 seasons it is worth the watch. 

Read the books years ago. I can't picture that actor as Det. Hieronymus "Harry" Bosch

I started watching GRANT this week on the History Channel. It was 3 days (3 episodes) for a total of 6 hours. I watched all of episode One. I'll probably watch the other two. It's a mix of historical pics, narration, expert commentary plus actors dramatizing his bio. If you're a Civil War buff it's can't miss. Or if you like military history and battles it's pretty graphic. The battle scenes reminded me of the book (fiction) THE KILLER ANGELS which described in great detail what it was like to fight in the Civil War. It was pretty scary. I watched part of episode 3 when he became President. And the expert commentators were generally positive about him as a President and as a person. Incl Ta-Neheshi Coates. 

11 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I started watching GRANT this week on the History Channel. It was 3 days (3 episodes) for a total of 6 hours. I watched all of episode One. I'll probably watch the other two. It's a mix of historical pics, narration, expert commentary plus actors dramatizing his bio. If you're a Civil War buff it's can't miss. Or if you like military history and battles it's pretty graphic. The battle scenes reminded me of the book (fiction) THE KILLER ANGELS which described in great detail what it was like to fight in the Civil War. It was pretty scary. I watched part of episode 3 when he became President. And the expert commentators were generally positive about him as a President and as a person. Incl Ta-Neheshi Coates. 

This show is 50 years overdue. Have you read "Gone for Soldiers"? Great book, Grant was a legit BAMF in the Mexican War. 

I wrote a paper decades ago how Grant was overlooked as a true American Hero, because we let the Rednecks control the narrative of the Civil War for 100+ years, and they of course maligned the man. Grant was a "butcher ", but Lee, who sent tens of thousands of his men to die in frontal assaults was a "genius".....

Grant was a better man than me, I would have had any officer that had sworn an Oath to the United States that fought for the Confederacy tried for treason, and Bobby Lee shot. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Three episodes into Extras, the Ricky Gervais/Stephen Merchant project after The Office.  Except for seeing the classic David Bowie clip, missed it the first time around.   This thing is absolutely hilarious.  If you like Gervais and the UK version of The Office, check it out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Three episodes into Extras, the Ricky Gervais/Stephen Merchant project after The Office.  Except for seeing the classic David Bowie clip, missed it the first time around.   This thing is absolutely hilarious.  If you like Gervais and the UK version of The Office, check it out.

Kate Winslet was great in that

• Sympathy 1

On 5/14/2020 at 1:44 PM, munchmemory said:

Watched two episodes of Hollywood on Netflix last night.  They will be my last.  Have not seen a show that badly written/acted/directed/produced in quite a long time.  2/10

Check out ‘white lines’ before you decide. I couldn’t decide if it was serious or a parody of itself - one of the worst shows I’ve seen on Netflix 

• Upvote 1

Binged the first season of Ozark and I really like it. Only issue is that Bateman and Linney are so far out in front as actors and improvisors that it makes everyone else on the show look like a cartoon whose lines are produced by an app designed to mimic hillbillies and angsty teens. I’d imagine the interactions pick up as peripheral actors get more confident and comfortable in their roles. Lots of Season Ones have that problem. All in all, it’s worth it just for Bateman and Linney.

Watched the Epstein show on Netflix. Understandably the producers put the victims front and center. But at a loss how they didn't really explore at any length how a guy with no college degree goes from  getting a plum job teaching at a Manhattan prep school my kids could only get jobs as janitors at , then falls into and subsequently gets fired by Bear Stearns to... a billionaire. Don't care how brilliant a quant analyst he was, there is a huge hole in this story that hasn't been explored. Because as awful as he treated these girls, the story is how connected he was to skate almost forever. No explanation how he got there.They hint at his relationships with Bear Stearns CEO Ace Greenberg and Limited CEO Len Wexler, but still doesn't make any sense;how does this guy advance in the world. Is this a setup for Season 2? 

Point of comparison, episode 1 of Lance Armstrong lays out very specifically how he went form being a snotnose kid to Yellow Jersey at the  Tour De France . People have made the point Armstrong is a manipulator and this documentary is another example. But compared to Epstein, he's a piker. 

Space Force is a major stinker so far. I have disappoint. 

Hollywood on Neftlix sucked, too.

I've just started Tin Star on Amazon, I think, and like it so far. As a parent, it's a little tough to palette at first. The bad guys are poorly cast, and a bit silly (bald guy from oil company, skinny twerp assassin). That said, Tim Roth is great. It has potential.

Ozark dropping at the beginning of social distancing set the bar high for other shows we've tried to watch. A lot of really bad stuff being cranked out. 

I watched Dark Crystal, which was bad, but I enjoyed the nostalgia and saw it through out of respect for the puppeteering.

I'd like to try getting back into Expanse. I enjoyed it, but lost my thread on wtf is going on.

On 5/22/2020 at 2:23 PM, Tony The Wiz said:

Just completed the Sixth Season of Bosch on Amazon. If you haven't watched all 6 seasons it is worth the watch. 

Is this the Michael Connelly character Bosch? Wife started his books and said 6 seasons and King and Maxwell only get one? That's ridiculous. 

If it's the ballplayer Bosch then 6 season doesn't work, He only had 4 seasons total, 3 games with Pittsburgh, about 100 with the Mets and about half that with the Expos

If it is the dishwasher then maybe 6 seasons before it broke makes sense

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I'd like to try getting back into Expanse. I enjoyed it, but lost my thread on wtf is going on.

Just rewatch the whole thing! LOL

I rewatched the entire series 3 times now, even the not great episodes with Elizabeth (#WoodenActing) Mitchell...

On 5/29/2020 at 11:30 AM, munchmemory said:

Yes!!!!!!! I must admit I loved watching The Office the US version and will admit it is better than the UK version, I feel like the British version is like an olive in the sense that you need to have a unique taste to understand or get it ...I suppose that is dry British humor in general though. If you are a Ricky Gervais fan then do check out "An Idiot Abroad"

41 minutes ago, Tezza said:

Yes!!!!!!! I must admit I loved watching The Office the US version and will admit it is better than the UK version, I feel like the British version is like an olive in the sense that you need to have a unique taste to understand or get it ...I suppose that is dry British humor in general though. If you are a Ricky Gervais fan then do check out "An Idiot Abroad"

I LOVE the British version of The Office.  I dig that it's much more understated than the US version.  Gervais and Mackenzie Crook as David and Gareth are constantly making the viewer cringe and absolutely hilarious.  And I have seen An Idiot Abroad.  Great show.

I've been a big fan of British humor since discovering Monty Python and Marty Feldman in the 70s.  Although they are both no longer with us, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore as Derek and Clive might be the most insane/hysterical humor Britain ever produced.  I saw their Broadway show Good Evening way back in 1974.  Guess the Derek and Clive characters came about when Cook and Moore got drunk every night after the show, went to a NYC studio, opened the mics, and just riffed for hours.  They lived to make eachother laugh.  Peter Cook is a comedy god.

I had the Derek and Clive recordings but have no idea where they wound up.  Good thing YouTube exists.  The clip below is one of my favorite pieces.  You can search out more if you find it funny.  Tell me they are not completely loaded and out of their friggin' minds.  lol

NSFW

You need the second part to this involving Winston Churchill.  Cook destroys Dudley Moore by the end.  LMFAO!

1 hour ago, Tezza said:

Even though it's the same production company and Gervais had a hand in both, did not watch the American "Office" for a long time because thought it could never match the Brit one. They are both outstanding, if  different. The hard edge of some of the British version would never fly on US network TV. 

I caught the first episode of this on Starz and it was so good I downloaded season 1 and season 2.  Absolutely amazing work.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6538034/

Save Me Poster

US natives will struggle a bit with some of the English expressions but it is gripping and really well written.  Subtitles helped a bit fro my daughters.   Lennie James wrote and starred which tells me he has a career as a writer if acting gigs ever dry up (which they do not seem to be doing)

5 hours ago, EM31 said:

I caught the first episode of this on Starz and it was so good I downloaded season 1 and season 2.  Absolutely amazing work.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6538034/

Save Me Poster

US natives will struggle a bit with some of the English expressions but it is gripping and really well written.  Subtitles helped a bit fro my daughters.   Lennie James wrote and starred which tells me he has a career as a writer if acting gigs ever dry up (which they do not seem to be doing)

He's terrific in "Line of Duty" as a compromised detective. Once again, another in the long line of actors from the British Isles who get cast as Americans as he is in "Walking Dead".