TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

So watched a couple of Netflix series that are worthwhile.

1st up - "Bodyguard" - ever episode is tense and exciting - lots of intrigue, thoroughly enjoyed it.

2nd up, "Nobel"  - if you don't like subtitles or can't speak Norwegian, it's not for you.  Otherwise, an excellent political thriller.

Here's a review

I watched the Bruce Lee docu BE WATER on ESPN (30 for 30). I thought one of the best of that group of docus. They had much old film even from his childhood, etc. I didn't know that Bruce was in the movies in Hong Kong when he was a kid. And the reason he left HK for the USA as a teen was because his family was worried he would get in trouble with gangs. He was involved with a group that staged fight club type brawls on tops of buildings.  I think it runs about an hour 40. On my cable system available ON DEMAND. 

On 5/29/2020 at 11:30 AM, munchmemory said:

Three episodes into Extras, the Ricky Gervais/Stephen Merchant project after The Office.  Except for seeing the classic David Bowie clip, missed it the first time around.   This thing is absolutely hilarious.  If you like Gervais and the UK version of The Office, check it out.

You will love After Life  - Gervais gold.

Derek is another great work he does. Guys with Emmy's should throw them in the fireplace after watching.

Both on Netflix

• Sympathy 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the "Unsolved Mysteries" 6 episode reboot.  Solid B/B+, after you average in the lame first episode, which is a non-mystery (a seemingly open-and-shut suicide case, where the only "mystery" is the victim's understandably heartbroken family saying "but he seemed so happy" and asking how his suicide could have occurred at a public building without having been witnessed). 

The second and third episodes, though, are fascinating/chilling and both solid "A's".  There are worse shows to watch and it is not a big time investment if you do not enjoy it.   I do recommend skipping the first episode, however.  

• Upvote 1

Didnt see Ozark on the OP list but its very good.

Better Call Saul- loved bb, but this series was very very hot and cold.some great eps and a lot of sleepy ones. Not saying it was bad just think its overrated. Loved the cop character he was bad ass

6 feet Under - THE most underrated series ever and by reading these post i can see thats very true. Not one mention. Its superb and dark and trippy

whats the series name from key west that ive heard good stuff about?

Watched the first 2 episodes of "I'll be Gone In the Dark". It's really two shows; one about the police hunt for the Golden State Killer, and journalist Michelle McNamara, a reporter who did a lot of writing about it, to a point she may have had a role in the guys' apprehension. While the investigators were very available and solicitous of her and she was obsessed, not really clear she had much to do with the arrest.  Case broke when a  family member of the killer went on an ancestry site and thereby  provided a DNA sample which linked him to DNA samples from the crime scenes.  

And that is where things get a little odd. McNamara was married to comedian Patton Oswalt, and simply he is a very odd guy. McNamara died of a drug overdose. No allegation that Oswalt had anything to do with it, but, if your wife dies like that, what does it say about you?What the hell was going on? And Oswalt has remarried in short order. Throughout the show, Oswalt(who is listed as a the producer with his deceased wife)  is over the top  crowing about what a great woman and mom she was, but all of that doesn't comport with the facts to the point it's ridiculously uncomfortable. The Mrs. is watching it, so I am. But not sure the producers grasp objectively as interesting as the Golden State Killer story is, they are thus far ignoring the elephant in the room.

• WTF? 1

23 hours ago, Warmbrother said:

Its interesting what does and doesnt pass the test of time.

nobody mentioned Lost and that awful vampire series tru blood?

The remake of BSG (At least the Miniseries and first 3 Seasons) are very watchable after almost 2 decades. Rare for sci fi, imo 

• Upvote 1

On 9/12/2019 at 10:27 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

5 episodes in, really digging it. And this is coming from someone who only saw 4 or 5 superhero movies since Nolan Batmans because I genuinely dislike the movies and can't stand the fad.

On 9/12/2019 at 2:23 PM, The Crusher said:

Just finished three. Awesomely against the grain. 

Looks like Season 2 of The Boys is dropping in September!

• Haha 1

Anyone giving Perry Mason a try?  I'm through two episodes and I am hooked.  1931, Mason is an invstigator for an attorney with a harrowing WWI experience in his back story.  (Has nothing to do with the Raymond Burrr 1950's/60's terrible TV show...  so it took me a bit to try it because I figured it was a reboot of that, which it is not.)

So far, so good.  Typical HBO period piece setting with costumes and sets at their best.  Nicely done so far.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Anyone giving Perry Mason a try?  I'm through two episodes and I am hooked.  1931, Mason is an invstigator for an attorney with a harrowing WWI experience in his back story.  (Has nothing to do with the Raymond Burrr 1950's/60's terrible TV show...  so it took me a bit to try it because I figured it was a reboot of that, which it is not.)

So far, so good.  Typical HBO period piece setting with costumes and sets at their best.  Nicely done so far.

They spent $70 million for the first season. The trench/WWI scene alone was well worth it. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/11/2020 at 10:51 AM, Bugg said:

They spent $70 million for the first season. The trench/WWI scene alone was well worth it. 

So Della fakes 2.5 years of "apprentiship", with EB's sig forged by Della Street (I was wondering how they were going to get him a license to practice) + a few weeks of Bar Exam training by his future adversary Hamilton Burger (who will never win any cases against him).  Presto! He's a California lawyer.  ?

On 6/22/2020 at 1:13 PM, NJ said:

You will love After Life  - Gervais gold.

Derek is another great work he does. Guys with Emmy's should throw them in the fireplace after watching.

Both on Netflix

Two episodes into season two of After Life.  Season one was fantastic.  Who knew Gervais had such impressive dramatic acting chops?   Incredible range of work which should have garnered him a boatload of awards.

• Upvote 1

On 7/20/2020 at 10:46 AM, munchmemory said:

Two episodes into season two of After Life.  Season one was fantastic.  Who knew Gervais had such impressive dramatic acting chops?   Incredible range of work which should have garnered him a boatload of awards.

The guy is really incredible. Glad to hear Netflix has ordered another season of this from Ricky as well as another non related series and some specials. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Can't wait.  Thanks again for recommending the show.  My entire family loved it.

Check out Derek if you haven't already dude - his portrayal of a middle aged guy on the spectrum is maybe his best acting job yet.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2020 at 5:24 PM, Larz said:

WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS 

you’re welcome 

I also just started it.   Great so far.

Also now watching the boys season 2.

For people who like some older shows, The Prisoner on amazon.   1960s spy show.  Its dated, but still very good.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

Anyone watching Fargo? 

4th season, 2 episodes shown so far, looking like the best of the series

Also it is on Sunday night so at ;east you'll have someting to look forward to on Sundays, at least until 11/29 (10 episode run) 

They got Gennaro from "Gommorah" to play the off the boat Italian brother Gaetano. Basically every sentence is either "How you say?" or he's gonna kill someone. Same menace, but with comedy. And that's one small part of a great cast. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Bugg said:

They got Gennaro from "Gommorah" to play the off the boat Italian brother Gaetano. Basically every sentence is either "How you say?" or he's gonna kill someone. Same menace, but with comedy. And that's one small part of a great cast. 

Great charachter!   Plays the whole part with his eyes

Looking forward to the next episode

I didn't read through and I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but 'What We Do in The Shadows'. Holy Hell, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I was a little leery of it seeing as the movie was so great and was all prepared to be let down, but nope. Even if you're not a horror flick buff like yours truly and miss some of the inside jokes, it's absolutely hilarious. I started binge-watching it a couple of days ago, and there were times when I flat out shrieked. The whole Staten Island thing, the going to Town Hall/Energy Vampire (Actor Mark Prokosch as Andrew Wormald of 'Better Call Saul') scene, I was SCREAMING. Highly recommend. 

• Upvote 1