Jump to content

TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***


Recommended Posts

I don't mean to tread off-topic but did anyone think that show Mark Wahlberg produced a good few years ago was brilliant, I believe it was called How to Make it in America and was on HBO it had Kid Cudi and Lake Bell in it ...anyhoo HBO pulled the plug on it after 2 seasons ..WOMP WOMP

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssssssssss!  

It's almost time

This could totally make up for how terrible Iron Fist was...  

Posted Images

On 10/3/2020 at 12:54 PM, jetophile said:

I didn't read through and I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but 'What We Do in The Shadows'. Holy Hell, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I was a little leery of it seeing as the movie was so great and was all prepared to be let down, but nope. Even if you're not a horror flick buff like yours truly and miss some of the inside jokes, it's absolutely hilarious. I started binge-watching it a couple of days ago, and there were times when I flat out shrieked. The whole Staten Island thing, the going to Town Hall/Energy Vampire (Actor Mark Prokosch as Andrew Wormald of 'Better Call Saul') scene, I was SCREAMING. Highly recommend. 

Vampires are always portrayed as worldly and brilliant. But instead if they were vain, stupid and fans of the 1984 US Olympic Dream Team? And were a-holes that lived in Staten Island? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

 

10 episode miniseries.  How can it not suck when all the great characters are dead? I guess they had to do it since the final season was complete garbage.  Whoever he kills, I sure hope it includes the writers for that last season.

Season 4 was the best. Don't even bother with 7 and 8.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We started watching Designated Survivior.  It has a 24 feel obviously because of Sutherland but without the 24 tech and action (there is none).  I guess Kiefer Sutherland always wanted the role of president when he was doing 24.  half way through the first season now.   It's ok and sometimes pretty good in a 24 sort of way; the plot continually winds and twists and with a "who can you trust now?" tension.

edit: we quit for now.  The crises come too fast and quick without any satisfying resolution.  I'll eventually get back to it and finish the first season.  I'd rather watch 24 reruns TBH.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Began the seven episode limited series The Queen's Gambit on Netflix last night.  It's the story of an orphan who is also a chess prodigy.  Very well written and acted, especially by the lead actress, Anya Taylor-Joy.  Taylor-Joy continues to impress.  Loved her in Thoroughbreds and Emma.  

The show's creator/director is Scott Frank who wrote the screenplays for Get Shorty, Minority Report, The Wolverine and Logan among others.

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2020 at 2:37 PM, munchmemory said:

Began the seven episode limited series The Queen's Gambit on Netflix last night.  It's the story of an orphan who is also a chess prodigy.  Very well written and acted, especially by the lead actress, Anya Taylor-Joy.  Taylor-Joy continues to impress.  Loved her in Thoroughbreds and Emma.  

The show's creator/director is Scott Frank who wrote the screenplays for Get Shorty, Minority Report, The Wolverine and Logan among others.

 

 

The wife and I just finished this gem of a mini series yesterday.  Between Emma and her great performance here Taylor-Joy is going places.  You have to love the make up changes to her through the years.  Great script and cast.  Highly recommend this.  And if you know someone with Asperger's, then you must watch.

Her backstory, her relationships and the limits they had were just spectacularly done.  Pre Bobby Fischer era.  Little green pills for orphans.  Imagine. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dcat said:

The wife and I just finished this gem of a mini series yesterday.  Between Emma and her great performance here Taylor-Joy is going places.  You have to love the make up changes to her through the years.  Great script and cast.  Highly recommend this.  And if you know someone with Asperger's, then you must watch.

Her backstory, her relationships and the limits they had were just spectacularly done.  Pre Bobby Fischer era.  Little green pills for orphans.  Imagine. 

Great recommendation from you and MM.  I've watched the first 5 episodes and am hooked. 

One other great thing about this series, which I appreciate as a chess nerd:  The chess details themselves are pretty much perfect.  The actors/players are making real, legitimate, moves and talking about their games in a way that is (for the most part) technically accurate.  I cannot tell you what a huge accomplishment that is in and of itself. At least 95% of the time that chess is shown on the big or small screens, the board is set up incorrectly from the start, the players are making ridiculous or illegal moves, and/or the players are making idiotic comments about the game that they think sound like chess terminology but in reality have as much to do with chess as my dog barking.  Huge pet peeve of mine and one that would have made a full mini-series about chess unwatchable if they hadn't gotten it right.  But, thankfully, they really did. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dcat @AFCEastFan  So glad you both enjoyed The Queens Gambit.    My whole family thought it was fantastic and could not wait to get to the end of the story.   Acting, writing and art direction were all spot on.  

AFC, you answered a question we all had:  How accurate was the chess being displayed?  Great to hear that they were playing the game correctly.  I noticed the show's creators had former world champion Garry Kasparov and chess coach/author Bruce Pandolfini as consultants.  Smart move.

Dcat, totally agree about the Taylor-Joy and her backstory in the series. Whatever "it" is, she's got it by the bushel.  You can't take your eyes off her.  The orphanage scenes, and her struggles with substance addiction/abuse, were particularly impactful and well done.  The actress who played her as a little girl was also amazing in the role.

 

 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 1:17 AM, Spoot-Face said:

Meet @Jet_Engine1 and I in the JetNation shower room.

We have much too discuss.

 

On 12/21/2019 at 1:26 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

I just started S3 give me time and I’ll bring the robes

Expanse Season 5 Dropped today.  Going to pace myself this season.  

 

Ep 1 is decent, kind of a "where are they now"  but Ep 2 is Amos Burtons backstory as the secondary plot line and is awesome. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

 

Expanse Season 5 Dropped today.  Going to pace myself this season.  

 

Ep 1 is decent, kind of a "where are they now"  but Ep 2 is Amos Burtons backstory as the secondary plot line and is awesome. 

 

 

I'm 2 episodes in. It's fantastic. I really have no idea how it still isn't the phenomenon it should be because the last 3 seasons are every bit as good as anything that has ever been produced. Would put it right up with GoT, Breaking Bad, Sopranos...etc at this point. 

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

 

Expanse Season 5 Dropped today.  Going to pace myself this season.  

 

Ep 1 is decent, kind of a "where are they now"  but Ep 2 is Amos Burtons backstory as the secondary plot line and is awesome. 

 

 

I'm trying to savor the anticipation, myself. I still want to re-watch season 4 before I dive into season 5. It'll be the highlight of 2020, for me. :D

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

I'm trying to savor the anticipation, myself. I still want to re-watch season 4 before I dive into season 5. It'll be the highlight of 2020, for me. :D

Good plan. I liked S4 a lot, but there are some pertinent details I forgot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Good plan. I liked S4 a lot, but there are some pertinent details I forgot.

Before S4 dropped I watched the entire series, and it was oh so satisfying.

I'm gonna stay disciplined and really enjoy the anticipation for S5. Like television foreplay. Just a few minutes ago I turned on the first episode of S4 to begin watching again, but I turned it off after just a minute or so because the time didn't feel quite right yet.

No, my appetite isn't wet enough. I need to wait longer. Let the temptation build.

Slowly.

Agonizingly.

Until my need to watch it is throbbing so intensely that I'm on the cusp of bursting. Only then will I watch -- and only ONE episode a night -- never more! I won't allow it! Maybe even every other night, because I'm a real madman, and the longer I draw it out, the better it will be.

But the payoff....

The payoff for waiting will be oh so gooood.

 

@Jetsfan80 would be proud.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Before S4 dropped I watched the entire series, and it was oh so satisfying.

I'm gonna stay disciplined and really enjoy the anticipation for S5. Like television foreplay. Just a few minutes ago I turned on the first episode of S4 to begin watching again, but I turned it off after just a minute or so because the time didn't feel quite right yet.

No, my appetite isn't wet enough. I need to wait longer. Let the temptation build.

Slowly.

Agonizingly.

Until my need to watch it is throbbing so intensely that I'm on the cusp of bursting. Only then will I watch -- and only ONE episode a night -- never more! I won't allow it! Maybe even every other night, because I'm a real madman, and the longer I draw it out, the better it will be.

But the payoff....

The payoff for waiting will be oh so gooood.

 

@Jetsfan80 would be proud.

2418fa048bdf2bb869a5f1b52c1863fda5179fd56761621ab8b9188c9bb188a1-1.thumb.jpg.32f8618ed7edf6c55b6b7cb1e70c9882.jpg

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2020 at 7:03 AM, Larz said:

Mandalorian delivers again !!!!

as an original Star Wars geek from 1977 I just want to thank them for this. 
 

Disney, you morons!! Get that talentless hack Kathleen Kennedy out of the way and let Favreau and Filoni run the show, FFS

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2020 at 10:45 AM, Fantasy Island said:

The Queens Gambit on Netflix is good.  

My GF and I are playing a lot of Chess lately and the series , for me, was increíble.  I’m a geek for Chess. Watched in search of Bobby Fisher at least 3 times.  I’m now watching YouTube videos for advanced players trying to get back into it.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished The Queen's Gambit it was really good.

Can't wait for Chicago PD to come back.

Sons of Anarchy might very well be my favorite of all time. Holy Sh!t that show got really intense and twisted at times.

Queen of the South has been good as well

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm six episodes into The Mandalorian.  Not a perfect series (plenty of goofy stuff), but generally good and holding my interest.  And the person who created "Baby Yoda" is a genius.  Maybe the most adorable character ever on TV.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2021 at 1:57 PM, Larz said:

Queens gambit. Great story telling, memorable characters 

 

Agreed... it has rekindled my interest in chess, been playing the computer a lot and studying stuff.  Watched in search of Bobby Fisher again, also on Netflix.  Very well done.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...