TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

41 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

It's a fun, engaging and fast moving.  Not a perfect series by any stretch.  But after three episodes, it's keeping me interested.   The male lead's charisma makes the show. 

To me, not to be politically incorrect, but it looks like he could be Luther. Which was truly great. He looks like the same type of character. 

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

To me, not to be politically incorrect, but it looks like he could be Luther. Which was truly great. He looks like the same type of character. 

Could be.  I did not see the Luther series.  (Is it worth checking out?)  But my wife made the comparison the other day between Idris Elba and the lead in Lupin.

12 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Could be.  I did not see the Luther series.  (Is it worth checking out?)  But my wife made the comparison the other day between Idris Elba and the lead in Lupin.

Luther is a top 20 series. 

And season after season they reduce it an episode or 2. 

6 down to 4 down to 2 then maybe back to 4. 

So good. He’s a great character and his femme fatale is off the charts. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Falcon and The Winter Soldier is a solid continuation of the Cap storyline. I have soured on Marvel movies over the years, but the Cap movies still hold up well as well paced political thrillers. The new series picks up where Endgame left off, but the tone and themes of it all are more Cap than Avengers. Great setup for an intriguing plot in the first episode. I'm a fan. 

• Upvote 1

Stanley Tucci Finding Italy. 

A CNN propelled leftist political platform thinly veiled on a pretense of Italian food. 

I’ve been all over Italy to every region he’s been to, I could have done a better and more interesting food show but I’m not famous and I’m not a liberal political hack.

Shut up and cook.

We're two episodes into Behind Her Eyes on Netfix.  Very interesting/compelling so far.  Short, six episode, series which I like.  Excellent cast, especially Bono's daughter, Eve Hewson, who is fantastic in the lead role.  Absolutely gorgeous, too.

EDIT:  Finished this short series.  I had a difficult time with how the writer wrapped it up.  Penultimate episode nearly killed the entire show with its major, out of left field, move.  Don't know how it was handled in the novel.  But the series writer needs to brush up on how coherent story structure works in film/TV.   Fortunately, the final episode somewhat save the series.  Overall, not sure if I would have watched it.  6/10

12 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Young Wallander keeps coming up on my Netflix previews--start with the original?

I get the original Wallander with Kenneth Branagh on Brit Box through Prime.  I'm very into dark murder mysteries.  Brit Box is loaded with them.  

15 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I get the original Wallander with Kenneth Branagh on Brit Box through Prime.  I'm very into dark murder mysteries.  Brit Box is loaded with them.  

Yeah we love British crime.  Broadchurch, Happy Valley, DCI Banks, River, Bodyguard, Marcella, the Criminal series some relatively recent ones.  

I finally got my wife fully invested in Eureka.  It's really fun.  Quirky mad scientists who all live in a town in the Pacific Northwest with a straight-man sheriff. 

Joe Morton is one of the most versatile actors in the business.  He's been a psychotic mastermind in Scandal, a pastor in 'God Friended Me', and a mad scientist in this show.  

And it has Erica Cerra:

Erica Cerra HD Wallpaper | Background Image | 2052x1354 | ID:830818 -  Wallpaper Abyss

On 4/5/2021 at 3:45 PM, Peace Frog said:

Yeah we love British crime.  Broadchurch, Happy Valley, DCI Banks, River, Bodyguard, Marcella, the Criminal series some relatively recent ones.  

Watched "Bloodlands" on Acorn . Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but was tremendous. Without giving too much away, twists and turns throughout. Kind of thing American TV would never touch. 

@RutgersJetFan Finally started my AppleTV subscription.  Just could not wait any longer to watch For All Mankind.  It does not disappoint.

Fantastic writing and acting.  Very interesting story premise, which reminds me of the alternate world scenario in The Man in the High Castle.  I will be watching every episode non-stop.   Thanks for the recommendation.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

@RutgersJetFan Finally started my AppleTV subscription.  Just could not wait any longer to watch For All Mankind.  It does not disappoint.

Fantastic writing and acting.  Very interesting story premise, which reminds me of the alternate world scenario in The Man in the High Castle.  I will be watching every episode non-stop.   Thanks for the recommendation.

Loved the first 6 episodes of For All Mankind but started to lose it by episode 7.  I may take a break and go back to it.

The Apollo program was basically my childhood--the first moon landing was the day after my 10th birthday and the next week we were on Cape Cod when all the Mary Jo Kopechne Ted Kennedy fallout came out.  

Literally Life Magazine was how my view of the world was formed.  Mercury, Gemini and Apollo were the best issues.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Loved the first 6 episodes of For All Mankind but started to lose it by episode 7.  I may take a break and go back to it.

The Apollo program was basically my childhood--the first moon landing was the day after my 10th birthday and the next week we were on Cape Cod when all the Mary Jo Kopechne Ted Kennedy fallout came out.  

Literally Life Magazine was how my view of the world was formed.  Mercury, Gemini and Apollo were the best issues.  

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll let you know if the series starts to fall off for me, too.

Like you, I was a space nut as a kid.  I predate you a bit as I recall the Mercury and Gemini programs.  "Covered" all the space missions as I commented from the TV broadcast into my reel-to-reel tape recorder.  Absolutely devastated by the Apollo 1 fire that killed Grissom, White and Chaffee.   Any movie or show involving space flight and I'm there.

EDIT:  I was in Yankee Stadium the day the Eagle landed.  Crowd went insane when it was announced.

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll let you know if the series starts to fall off for me, too.

Like you, I was a space nut as a kid.  I predate you a bit as I recall the Mercury and Gemini programs.  "Covered" all the space missions as I commented from the TV broadcast into my reel-to-reel tape recorder.  Absolutely devastated by the Apollo 1 fire that killed Grissom, White and Chaffee.   Any movie or show involving space flight and I'm there.

EDIT:  I was in Yankee Stadium the day the Eagle landed.  Crowd went insane when it was announced.

You're probably my older brother's age, he kept a scrap book of all the Mercury Gemini Apollo pics from Life but he had a picture of the Apollo 1 team on his wall.  I remember seeing the photos of the burned out capsule and that was awful and anytime I see a photo of an astrounaut I know immediately that it's Grissom.  

I think my favorite shots were the Ed White Spacewalks outside Gemini IV and the Frank Borman shot of Earth from Apollo 8.

10 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

You're probably my older brother's age, he kept a scrap book of all the Mercury Gemini Apollo pics from Life but he had a picture of the Apollo 1 team on his wall.  I remember seeing the photos of the burned out capsule and that was awful and anytime I see a photo of an astrounaut I know immediately that it's Grissom.  

I think my favorite shots were the Ed White Spacewalks outside Gemini IV and the Frank Borman shot of Earth from Apollo 8.

That Ed White space walk was nerve wracking.  No one really knew how it would go.  How amazing was the hand held device?  

Loved Gus Grissom, too.   He and Wally Schirra  always looked so cool, especially iunder pressure.  Totally agree that Borman's image of Earth still remains the gold standard.  Still takes your breath away.

Still recall my Catholic School class watching all the coverage of the Apollo 13 disaster every day until the happy ending.  Nuns knew that I was deeply immersed in the space program so I got to do reports to the class.  Mr. Big Shot.  lol

24 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

That Ed White space walk was nerve wracking.  No one really knew how it would go.  How amazing was the hand held device?  

Loved Gus Grissom, too.   He and Wally Schirra  always looked so cool, especially iunder pressure.  Totally agree that Borman's image of Earth still remains the gold standard.  Still takes your breath away.

Still recall my Catholic School class watching all the coverage of the Apollo 13 disaster every day until the happy ending.  Nuns knew that I was deeply immersed in the space program so I got to do reports to the class.  Mr. Big Shot.  lol

I’m thinking about buying a high def print on metal and trying to figure out which one. Could be the Aldrin moon shot or John Young 16 shot with the flag.  

image.jpeg.92d114d085ed7d0318668c134def5b5b.jpegOk 

image.jpeg.0d997132d9529f0b07a8605113d018f7.jpeg

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Both great.  But the shot with the LM and flag is unbelievable.  

The LM has to be, behind the SR-71, the coolest aircraft ever. 

If you saw the show From the Earth to the Moon, the LM episode was easily the best. Highly recommend. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

The LM has to be, behind the SR-71, the coolest aircraft ever. 

If you saw the show From the Earth to the Moon, the LM episode was easily the best. Highly recommend. 

I'd add the Saturn V to that list.  Watching that mofo ignite still gives me a chubby.   Just massive.  Still the most powerful we've ever built.  One thing von Braun knew for sure was how to build a rocket.

Agree on Earth to Moon.   Great series.

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'd add the Saturn V to that list.  Watching that mofo ignite still gives me a chubby.   Just massive.  Still the most powerful we've ever built.  One thing von Braun knew for sure was how to build a rocket.

Agree on Earth to Moon.   Great series.

I need to see a rocket launch.  We had planned to see a Shuttle launch but life got in the way. 

I had the Revell  Saturn V model and the CM LM moon model. 

• Upvote 1