TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

Just binged The Serpent on Netflix.

Dramatization of a true crime story about a 1970s serial killer in Bankok, Nepal and India, being hunted by a Dutch dimplomatic aid in Thailand-- crazy crazy story.

Not sure I loved it but I couldn't turn it off.  Very choppy going forward and back in time months weeks years to paint the whole picture.  Actually pretty well told story.  

The main charachter is one of the most stoic yet creepiest psychopaths I've seen on TV.

His wife/girlfriend/accomplice is GORGEOUS.  

On 10/15/2020 at 6:15 AM, Dcat said:

10 episode miniseries.  How can it not suck when all the great characters are dead? I guess they had to do it since the final season was complete garbage.  Whoever he kills, I sure hope it includes the writers for that last season.

Season 4 was the best. Don't even bother with 7 and 8.

Give it a shot bro.  24 was brought back with a sort of miniseries a few years ago and it was better than the final season

Maybe we finally get the manhunt the original series finale should have had

35 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Give it a shot bro.  24 was brought back with a sort of miniseries a few years ago and it was better than the final season

Maybe we finally get the manhunt the original series finale should have had

Yes indeed.  The one with Jack Bauer in London.  It was excellent. But hey brought back key characters like Audrey (and then they kill her off for like the third time in the series), William Devvane and more.  

I'll give it a shot because Dexter was a great show right up until Deb learned what he was.  After that it was 100% total sh*t.  The only way to do this correctly is to have Deb take over the "ghost" Harry role.  They can pop her in and out like they did Harry.  That could actually work.  A ghost who curses like a sailor.

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

Yes indeed.  The one with Jack Bauer in London.  It was excellent. But hey brought back key characters like Audrey (and then they kill her off for like the third time in the series), William Devvane and more.  

I'll give it a shot because Dexter was a great show right up until Deb learned what he was.  After that it was 100% total sh*t.  The only way to do this correctly is to have Deb take over the "ghost" Harry role.  They can pop her in and out like they did Harry.  That could actually work.  A ghost who curses like a sailor.

I’m not going to type spoilers but the stuff I’ve heard sounds interesting.  I don’t mind seeing Dexter with a new group of supporting characters it will be different 

I won’t give it away but the plot very much reflects present day.  The world has changed a lot in 8 years

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Have been watching Ted Lasso on Apple TV.  My wife really likes it.  I think it's derivative, goofy, and a cliche.   Other than that, it's fine. 3/10

I gave it a 9/10. Loved it. Every single character was spot on. Funny sad uplifting pathetic just really solid. 

10 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I gave it a 9/10. Loved it. Every single character was spot on. Funny sad uplifting pathetic just really solid. 

I tried.  Just too mom & pop for me. 

I will say that Hannah Wadding's character of Rebecca is the best thing on the show.  Ted's line about not being able to turn away from her arm wrestling contest with Michelle Obama was hilarious.   Problem for me is that there are not that many laughs overall.  And all the "pull at your heartstrings" moments are beyond saccharine. 

Not the worst show I've ever seen.  But if not for my wife, I would have bailed on it.   We'll disagree on this one , PF.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

I tried.  Just too mom & pop for me. 

I will say that Hannah Wadding's character of Rebecca is the best thing on the show.  Ted's line about not being able to turn away from her arm wrestling contest with Michelle Obama was hilarious.   Problem for me is that there are not that many laughs overall.  And all the "pull at your heartstrings" moments are beyond saccharine. 

Not the worst show I've ever seen.  But if not for my wife, I would have bailed on it.   We'll disagree on this one , PF.

We should merge this thread with the other thread. Not sure which one to post in. Which mod should we ask?

Is anyone watching Invincible on Prime? It's the work of Robert Kirkman of Walking Dead fame. From the previews, it's looks like a campy cartoon... it isn't. At all.

The end of Ep 1 is shocking and awesome and now I'm hooked. A blockbuster cast including Steven Yeun, JK Simmons, Gillian Jacobs, Sandra Oh, Walton Goggins, Zazie Beetz, Jason Mantzoukas, Mahershala Ali, Zachary Quinto... check it out.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Is anyone watching Invincible on Prime? It's the work of Robert Kirkman of Walking Dead fame. From the previews, it's looks like a campy cartoon... it isn't. At all.

The end of Ep 1 is shocking and awesome and now I'm hooked. A blockbuster cast including Steven Yeun, JK Simmons, Gillian Jacobs, Sandra Oh, Walton Goggins, Zazie Beetz, Jason Mantzoukas, Mahershala Ali, Zachary Quinto... check it out.

The fiance loves TWD and FTWD.  We need a new show, thanks!!

I'm sure buried in here are a few posts talking about the HBO's The Jinx, all about the Robert Durst saga over the last 40+ years.

The documentary is a few years old now but will become somewhat topical in the next month (I won't get into any spoilers).

Overall, it's pretty good, 6 episodes ranging from 40-60 minutes long each.

The payoff at the very end is worth the watch....it's been a while since a TV show made my jaw drop wide open like that ending did.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 12:24 PM, JetPotato said:

JK SImmons is in it?  It must be one of everything made in the last 20 years!

Didn’t see posted BUT for older NYers who lived in the 70s..  HUNTERS on Amazon with Al Pacino. 

We forget that Nazis left Germany and infiltrated NY and Argentina and in the 70s were still in their late 50s under all kinds of names.   Hunters is well done.  Only 2 episodes in but pretty hooked.  Think Marathon man.  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Didn’t see posted BUT for older NYers who lived in the 70s..  HUNTERS on Amazon with Al Pacino. 

We forget that Nazis left Germany and infiltrated NY and Argentina and in the 70s were still in their late 50s under all kinds of names.   Hunters is well done.  Only 2 episodes in but pretty hooked.  Think Marathon man.  

Overall, I enjoyed the series, especially the first couple of episodes.   But as it progressed, the series was mired by some terrible acting (think Jonah) as well as a ton of cliche scenes.  The way Saul and Mindy are portrayed, for example, is like some ridiculous vaudeville skit by non-Jews.  The entire production became, IMO, very cartoonish and just over the top.

Generally, I have been watching a bunch of other crap.  The Flight Attendant with Kayley Cuoco is a disaster, especially story structure wise.  Feels like they tried to figure the story out as they went along and failed miserably.  Best part of the series is Zosia Mamet, who you may recall as Peggy's lesbian friend on Mad Men.  Hope to see her in other work.  BTW, she's David Mamet's daughter.  

Another bomb is Made For Love starring the adorable Cristin Milioti, from Black Mirror's Star Trek episode and Palm Springs.  Just unoriginal and not very compelling.  Not sure if I'm hanging in for the rest of the series.

In the "almost good/waiting for it to soar" category is the BBC's anthology series, Inside Number Nine, now on HBO.  After three episodes, feels like Black Mirror light.  But there is enough creative energy by the two series creators (who also act in the episodes) to keep me going forward.  Plus, they are fairly short episodes.  I really want to love this series.

8 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Overall, I enjoyed the series, especially the first couple of episodes.   But as it progressed, the series was mired by some terrible acting (think Jonah) as well as a ton of cliche scenes.  The way Saul and Mindy are portrayed, for example, is like some ridiculous vaudeville skit by non-Jews.  The entire production became, IMO, very cartoonish and just over the top.

Generally, I have been watching a bunch of other crap.  The Flight Attendant with Kayley Cuoco is a disaster, especially story structure wise.  Feels like they tried to figure the story out as they went along and failed miserably.  Best part of the series is Zosia Mamet, who you may recall as Peggy's lesbian friend on Mad Men.  Hope to see her in other work.  BTW, she's David Mamet's daughter.  

Another bomb is Made For Love starring the adorable Cristin Milioti, from Black Mirror's Star Trek episode and Palm Springs.  Just unoriginal and not very compelling.  Not sure if I'm hanging in for the rest of the series.

In the "almost good/waiting for it to soar" category is the BBC's anthology series, Inside Number Nine, now on HBO.  After three episodes, feels like Black Mirror light.  But there is enough creative energy by the two series creators (who also act in the episodes) to keep me going forward.  Plus, they are fairly short episodes.  I really want to love this series.

Yeah just finished episode 4 and yes, it is now just OK.  LOVE the theme but it's gotten a bit over the top.

Im going to the beach for 4 days.. recommend me something that the GF and I can binge.    ASAP, we'll be there Thursday AM. :)

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

Yeah just finished episode 4 and yes, it is now just OK.  LOVE the theme but it's gotten a bit over the top.

Im going to the beach for 4 days.. recommend me something that the GF and I can binge.    ASAP, we'll be there Thursday AM. :)

Let me think about it and get back to you in a bit.  Want to ask my son, who is more of a purist than me.

I mentioned it a couple of times, but I am obsessed with the Black Mirror series.  Think of a harder edged Twilight Zone, often with disturbing themes but always with stunning creativity.  Have you seen it?  

@southparkcpa  You've seen The Queen's Gambit, which is a mile above anything I've seen recently.  But I think you might enjoy the limited series, Behind Her Eyes.   Like most of these series, it gets a bit dumb in spots.  But an excellent ending, which I won't spoil.  Make sure you read nothing about the show.  Plus, Bono's daughter, Eve Hewson, is easy on the eyes.

Another one I liked from a few years back is Vanity Fair.  It incorporates fantasy elements around a story about war and race.  My wife and I found it to be a really fun watch.

And since you're a musician, Mozart in the Jungle is a fun couples series.

Hope this helps.  Enjoy your vacation and time together.

• Upvote 1

On 5/18/2021 at 2:00 PM, munchmemory said:

Let me think about it and get back to you in a bit.  Want to ask my son, who is more of a purist than me.

I mentioned it a couple of times, but I am obsessed with the Black Mirror series.  Think of a harder edged Twilight Zone, often with disturbing themes but always with stunning creativity.  Have you seen it?  

They lost me on the first episode with the pig f**king.

22 minutes ago, peebag said:

They lost me on the first episode with the pig f**king.

Bad move.  That episode (my least favorite BTW) is not representative of the series.   As an example, the episode after the one you saw was called "15 Million Merits", which is incredibly interesting.   But if you're only ever going to watch one episode of Black Mirror, IMO it should be "White Christmas".  I always say it's one of the best pieces of TV ever.

24 minutes ago, nycdan said:

See I wasn't interested in it until you said that.

It's a very interesting episode and take on the political system in the age of social media.  (BTW, Black Mirror is the screen on all of our phones and other devices.)  As I said earlier, that episode is not indicative of the series.   But modern media and technology is a recurrent theme.  I could not recommend the series more highly.

If you are a fan of sci-fi, you're doing yourself a disservice if you have not seen Battlestar Gallactica (2003-2009). 2003 was the 2 episode miniseries. 2004 was season 1. The first episode of season 1 (called "33" for the exact amount of minutes between relentless Cylon attacks) was one of the most tense/stressful tv episodes I've ever seen.

• Upvote 1