TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

Really enjoying the limited series Halston on Netflix.  I'm a huge fan of Ewan McGregor, who gives a five-star performance in the lead role.  Excellent story telling, direction and acting all around.   Plus plenty of homoerotic scenes to keep me interested.   If you saw and liked Fosse Verdon, you will dig this as well.  

This one really captures the NYC fashion industry in the 70s/80s as well as Halston's rise to fame and his demise.  Music track throughout is dead perfect as is the performance of Krysta Rodriguez as Liza Minelli.  She is my new movie crush.  Just a doll.

Just now, munchmemory said:

We are watching the finale tonight.  Can't wait to have some of the questions answered.  Great ensemble cast.

No spoilers. One of the best finales I can think of. 

When writers have the “end” dictated to them in these limited series, they are so much better at writing for closure rather than getting picked up for another season. Watchmen. The Outsider. The Night of. Now this... so good.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

No spoilers. One of the best finales I can think of. 

When writers have the “end” dictated to them in these limited series, they are so much better at writing for closure rather than getting picked up for another season. Watchmen. The Outsider. The Night of. Now this... so good.

Totally agree.  The writers get lost when they have multiple seasons to deal with.  I love when stories come to a close.  That's why, generally, I appreciate cinema over long form series.  I'm pumped for the Mare ending.

Late to the party, caught the first episode of Succession last night.  Wow, is this thing tight.  Fantastic writing and acting performances with a mountain of laughs and cringe moments.  Really hoping the show maintains this pace.  So far, very psyched about the series.

On 6/1/2021 at 8:43 AM, munchmemory said:

Late to the party, caught the first episode of Succession last night.  Wow, is this thing tight.  Fantastic writing and acting performances with a mountain of laughs and cringe moments.  Really hoping the show maintains this pace.  So far, very psyched about the series.

Insight into Jets ownership.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Over a nice French sparkler, just finished season two of Succession.   I am completely blown away by this show.   The writing and acting of/in this series is some of the best I have ever seen.  Stellar cast and brilliant group of writers.   I can't wait to find out what happens next.  Unbelievably entertaining with crisp story lines which are both funny and tragic.  11/10

• 2 weeks later...

@Dcat @AFCEastFan @southparkcpa 

As you guys are the resident chess heads, thought I'd share the video below.  It showed up on my YouTube recommendations a few minutes ago.  

Guess Alexandra Botez is a Canadian chess prodigy/phenom.  She's fantastic and very easy on the eyes as well.  A goddess in that white dress.  Sitting across from her, I'd have trouble breathing let alone playing chess.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

@Dcat @AFCEastFan @southparkcpa 

As you guys are the resident chess heads, thought I'd share the video below.  It showed up on my YouTube recommendations a few minutes ago.  

Guess Alexandra Botez is a Canadian chess prodigy/phenom.  She's fantastic and very easy on the eyes as well.  A goddess in that white dress.  Sitting across from her, I'd have trouble breathing let alone playing chess.

I’d drop a chess piece on the floor simply to bend down and peak under that skirt.   Wow…. Hot and a ranked chess player.  her highest ranking was 2100. That’s great but no where near a top player.  Grandmasters are in the 2400 range and higher.  She’d kick my ass in probably 15 to 20 moves.  

• Sympathy 2

18 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I’d drop a chess piece on the floor simply to bend down and peak under that skirt.   Wow…. Hot and a ranked chess player.  her highest ranking was 2100. That’s great but no where near a top player.  Grandmasters are in the 2400 range and higher.  She’d kick my ass in probably 15 to 20 moves.  

So you'd still last longer with her in chess than the bedroom... so you got that going for you

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Have not heard of it until your post.   Just read a little about it.  Seems cool.  I'll check it out.   Thanks.

It's very unique.  Cant say I've seen anything like it.  Not sure if it register's if you're not a fan of rap/hip-hop but as a fan of the genre, I think it's absolutely brilliant.  Legit, hysterical. 

22 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Anyone catch "Dave" yet?  soooooo gooood.

Really? I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't. I had the opposite reaction - how many "out of place awkward guy" sitcoms have there been? Sure, not many have appeared in a hip-hop setting, but to me, the formula was pretty predictable. I gave it every opportunity, but I think I only had a loud laugh on average once an episode. The rest were kinda just meh.

On 7/7/2021 at 1:24 PM, JetPotato said:

Really? I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't. I had the opposite reaction - how many "out of place awkward guy" sitcoms have there been? Sure, not many have appeared in a hip-hop setting, but to me, the formula was pretty predictable. I gave it every opportunity, but I think I only had a loud laugh on average once an episode. The rest were kinda just meh.

Fair enough, to each their own.  I've thoroughly enjoyed it.  I guess I understand your formula comment.  I'm not really a sitcom guy, so I dont really have enough context.  I mean, I've watched all these new drama multiple season stuff but I dont consider that "sitcom".  Anywho, you dont typically see hip-hop artists shown in such a vulnerable manner and I think the dialogue and communication is brilliant. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 5:53 PM, Integrity28 said:

Mare of Easttown was one of the best things I’ve ever watched. Incredibly well written and acted. 

On 5/31/2021 at 5:56 PM, munchmemory said:

We are watching the finale tonight.  Can't wait to have some of the questions answered.  Great ensemble cast.

First show I’ve watched since GOTs. Legit only watched it bc the review you both gave. Has been amazing thus far, only four episodes in. Gives me a True Detective season 1 vibe.  

Funny story, told the gf that we had a show we needed to watch, basically off the recommendation of essentially a stranger. Apparently she tried to get me to watch it when it first came out and I wasn’t interested. Told her she probably didn’t sell it properly 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

First show I’ve watched since GOTs. Legit only watched it bc the review you both gave. Has been amazing thus far, only four episodes in. Gives me a True Detective season 1 vibe.  

Funny story, told the gf that we had a show we needed to watch, basically off the recommendation of essentially a stranger. Apparently she tried to get me to watch it when it first came out and I wasn’t interested. Told her she probably did sell it properly 

****.  I opened this thread reading your first paragraph in the preview box.  I was hoping for something new.  We'd watched that one months ago.  It's excellent, but looks like I am back to the latest season of Bosch and finishing off Monk which we watched cause my Mother in Law was in town.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

****.  I opened this thread reading your first paragraph in the preview box.  I was hoping for something new.  We'd watched that one months ago.  It's excellent, but looks like I am back to the latest season of Bosch and finishing off Monk which we watched cause my Mother in Law was in town.

The White Lotus. Completely bizarre, but addicting. Only 4 episodes in.

• Upvote 1

Saw the title of the latest mafia thread which prompted this comment.  Don't recall why, but I stopped watching Peaky Blinders during the second season.  Finally went back to the show last week and I'm in full binge mode with three episodes left (read that a sixth season is on the way).   Totally forgot what an incredible series this is.  Wonderful, complex storytelling which ranks up there with the best I've ever seen.

Cillian Murphy, Paul Anderson, and the late Helen McCrory are standouts.   But the entire cast is top notch.  Brilliant adding the always-impressive Tom Hardy to the cast as an Orthodox Jewish gangster.  

Highest recommendation from me on this one.

EDIT:  Make sure you have enabled subtitles.  Sometimes, their accents are really difficult to understand.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

The White Lotus. Completely bizarre, but addicting. Only 4 episodes in.

To each his own, I guess.  I watched the first episode and made it through maybe ten minutes of episode 2 before losing interest.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Lith said:

To each his own, I guess.  I watched the first episode and made it through maybe ten minutes of episode 2 before losing interest.

?

My wife and I still aren’t sure if we like it. We enjoy the whodunnit aspect and the depravity is insane. There’s like 2-3 decent humans, and the rich people just chew them up and spit them out. It’s really grotesque.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

I tried.  I really did.  Outside of the teenage son, I hate everyone.  One season and done for this one.

It really subscribed to the AMC model where every character is awful, so your experience as a viewer is the discomfort of compromising values to find someone to root for. It’s a social experiment in that way.

I like the masseuse. I hate that She’s just just a pet fascination for Stifflers mom. 

I like aspects of D’addarios character. Though, I question how vapid she must be to be having all these realizations after marrying that a$$hole.

I also like the local kid. 

I guess the theme of all 3 is that they are more willing victims, than aggressors/abusers.

The whole island should burn. Lol

On 7/5/2021 at 4:04 PM, southparkcpa said:

I've played her online a couple times in 1/0 blitz (won 1/lost 1) - I am just over 2100 FIDE so we are pretty evenly matched.  The cool part was going to her twitch accounts after the games and watching her commenting on the moves as we were playing.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, AFCEastFan said:

I've played her online a couple times in 1/0 blitz (won 1/lost 1) - I am just over 2100 FIDE so we are pretty evenly matched.  The cool part was going to her twitch accounts after the games and watching her commenting on the moves as we were playing.  

So you very advanced.  Awesome.  I use to play well now I struggle between 1300 and 1400.   I haven’t played in a month.   twitch????   I’m getting old.  

On 8/13/2021 at 3:50 PM, southparkcpa said:

So you very advanced.  Awesome.  I use to play well now I struggle between 1300 and 1400.   I haven’t played in a month.   twitch????   I’m getting old.  

1300-1400 is very respectable.  Twitch was a new one for me, too.