TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

On 4/14/2021 at 8:52 AM, Philc1 said:

Give it a shot bro.  24 was brought back with a sort of miniseries a few years ago and it was better than the final season

Maybe we finally get the manhunt the original series finale should have had

On 4/14/2021 at 9:26 AM, Dcat said:

Yes indeed.  The one with Jack Bauer in London.  It was excellent. But hey brought back key characters like Audrey (and then they kill her off for like the third time in the series), William Devvane and more.  

I'll give it a shot because Dexter was a great show right up until Deb learned what he was.  After that it was 100% total sh*t.  The only way to do this correctly is to have Deb take over the "ghost" Harry role.  They can pop her in and out like they did Harry.  That could actually work.  A ghost who curses like a sailor.

On 4/14/2021 at 4:23 PM, Philc1 said:

I’m not going to type spoilers but the stuff I’ve heard sounds interesting.  I don’t mind seeing Dexter with a new group of supporting characters it will be different 

I won’t give it away but the plot very much reflects present day.  The world has changed a lot in 8 years

It has been revealed that Jenn Carpenter will play a regular role as Dexter's sister (in apparition form, like Harry was).  She is going to be a central character on the show and in Dexter's life in the new series.   Thankful for this as she was the best character on Dexter by leaps and bounds. She's back and this show might actually be a success and good because of that.

Also, there will be an appearance by John Lithgow as Trinity (but probably as an apparition also since Dexter sliced him up pretty well in Season 4.)

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 10:11 AM, PCP63 said:

Honestly, not too high on Mr. Robot. Stopped watching midway through season 2. The character just got ridiculously annoying. I'm all for weird, mentally ill characters, but the whole show was just way too crazy. With that said, that was almost 4 years ago, so perhaps my tastes have changed. Maybe I'll give it a re-watch.

Anyways, anyone watch wacky shows like Sick Note or Future Man? Enjoy those a lot. Same with Dirk Gently. Honestly, Elijah Wood is quickly starting to become one of my favorite actors, even though he bored the hell out of me in LoTR. Wilfred was ******* brilliant, as is Dirk Gently. 

Hell, I'd like to see him somewhere in the new Hitchhiker's Guide TV series. He seems a perfect fit for any Douglas Adams/Terry Pratchett universe.

Its been a short while since I loved a show.   Just watched season 1 of Dirk Gently.  Good show and an amazing finish to season 1.  

I think if people like Lost they will like this even though they are not related at all.  I agree about Elijah Wood. 

I hope they keep it going season 2. 

• 1 month later...

Started American Rust last night.  2 episodes in.  A poor man's Mare of Easttown (which was fantastic), same kind of setting, this one in western PA.

Pretty good, depressing, lots of mullets.  Jeff Daniels got old.  Maura Tierney also got old but tried to fix it and had a bad plastic surgeon.  Used to be so cute.  

Just age gracefully please.  

I'm five episodes in with this season of Succession.  As someone who really appreciated the previous seasons, anybody else finding this one so far a bit meandering and toothless?   It's going nowhere with the cast left with not much to do.  Hoping it picks up, but I wish they would wrap up the story.  Yeah, I know it was picked up for another season.   I think that's a mistake.

Just finished American Rust.  Jeff Daniels plays such a great character.

Lots of plot twists/cliff-hangers left unsolved.  I'd definitely watch another season.

In the middle of Season 4 of The Sinner.  Bill Pullman also plays a great charachter (yet odd quirky tortured).  Season 1 and 2 were great, 3 was a tad weird but 4 is back on track.  

On 9/22/2021 at 7:33 PM, Action Zachtion said:

Its been a short while since I loved a show.   Just watched season 1 of Dirk Gently.  Good show and an amazing finish to season 1.  

I think if people like Lost they will like this even though they are not related at all.  I agree about Elijah Wood. 

I hope they keep it going season 2. 

I think that is like 5 years old.  There was a 2nd season, but no 3rd.  I'm pretty sure these is no more.  I know that we watched it in 2019 or so and it wasn't new then, so it has been off for quite some time.

• 3 weeks later...

We just watched the first 4 episodes of Ted Lasso season 1. A week ago I didn’t know anything about this show, I’d heard of it but didn’t know about the story and it’s ties to sports. But I googled it and later asked our kids about it and they all liked it. In a time of incivility and anger it’s about a character who is the exact opposite. And how it can win people over. So we’re going to watch the whole series we like it and the positivity of the show. It beats watching murder and killing and cruelty. 

Watching the sopranos for the first time. Why did I wait this long?? It’s so good. On season 1 episode 8 currently. I think my favorite episode is the college one. So many great nuances to that episode. 

I’ve watched a fair bit of television this year and here are some of my favorites. 

in the dark

only murders in the building

flight attendant 

white lotus 

squid game 

American horror stories (spin off)

Vice principals 

Superstore

Silicon valley 

I need to watch the older hbo catalog after the sopranos. I’ve only seen carnival so far (which I loved). Thinking about six feet under or Deadwood next. 

I tried watching the wire and it seems like I’m in the vast minority that didn’t like it. I pushed myself to season 3 then gave up. It just felt so slow and non eventful. I usually enjoy true crime/gang plots, but the wire just didn’t do it for me. 

6 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Watching the sopranos for the first time. Why did I wait this long?? It’s so good. On season 1 episode 8 currently. I think my favorite episode is the college one. So many great nuances to that episode. 

I’ve watched a fair bit of television this year and here are some of my favorites. 

in the dark

only murders in the building

flight attendant 

white lotus 

squid game 

American horror stories (spin off)

Vice principals 

Superstore

Silicon valley 

I need to watch the older hbo catalog after the sopranos. I’ve only seen carnival so far (which I loved). Thinking about six feet under or Deadwood next. 

I tried watching the wire and it seems like I’m in the vast minority that didn’t like it. I pushed myself to season 3 then gave up. It just felt so slow and non eventful. I usually enjoy true crime/gang plots, but the wire just didn’t do it for me. 

Welcome to the Soprano crew.  After the game, why don't you and Chrissey make a couple of pickups.  

How great is that series?  There is only one other that I put in the same class, Mad Men.  For me, it's a coin flip for Mad Men or Sopranos as best series ever.

Two others I highly  recommendation for you:  Black Mirror, which is like a modern day Twilight Zone, and The Queen's Gambit, a tour de force with Anya Taylor Joy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Welcome to the Soprano crew.  After the game, why don't you and Chrissey make a couple of pickups.  

How great is that series?  There is only one other that I put in the same class, Mad Men.  For me, it's a coin flip for Mad Men or Sopranos as best series ever.

Two others I highly  recommendation for you:  Black Mirror, which is like a modern day Twilight Zone, and The Queen's Gambit, a tour de force with Anya Taylor Joy.

It’s great so far, has potential to be in my top 3 along with breaking bad and eastbound and down. I’m starting to really dislike aunt Janice though. She’s so annoying. Hopefully she gets whacked soon. 

I definitely plan on watching mad men. I read that it’s the same writers as the sopranos.  Set in the 50s era corporate world which sounds interesting. I’m watching queens gambit next. I have a crush on ants Taylor joy. She’s amazing in everything I’ve seen. Last night in soho is out in theaters and 100% recommended it, one of my favorite movies of the year. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Just started watching Money Heist. 

Maybe an old show with multiple seasons but in season 1.

The feme fetale is gorgeous. @munchmemory right up our alley.  

Just saw this.  Did not get the alert for some reason.

Thanks very much, PF.   I will check it out.  Looks like there are several cuties in that series.   Trailer looks cool.

Just saw this.  Did not get the alert for some reason.

Thanks very much, PF.   I will check it out.  Looks like there are several cuties in that series.   Trailer looks cool.

Some plot holes but a pretty cool/interesting bank caper movie.  And yes, some cuties.  Tokio is beautiful. 

On 12/6/2021 at 2:23 PM, Peace Frog said:

Some plot holes but a pretty cool/interesting bank caper movie.  And yes, some cuties.  Tokio is beautiful. 

Watched the first three episodes last night.  As you point out, some odd story issues.  But overall, really enjoyed the show.  Great pace, nicely shot, and a good cast.

And you're dead on about Tokyo.  Wow, is Ursula Corbero hot.  Love those sexy brunettes. 

Thanks again for the recommendation.   Not sure where they're going for five seasons.

Watched the first three episodes last night.  As you point out, some odd story issues.  But overall, really enjoyed the show.  Great pace, nicely shot, and a good cast.

And you're dead on about Tokyo.  Wow, is Ursula Corbero hot.  Love those sexy brunettes. 

Thanks again for the recommendation.   Not sure where they're going for five seasons.

Because it's so violent/hard to watch, the GF and me are alternating back and forth between that and Only Murders in the Building.

Lol what a well written, funny show.  Had no interest when I first started and got hooked almost immediately.  Steve Martin, a tad-campy Martin Short and Selena Gomez.  Great cameo by Sting.  It's really more for an older crowd.  You might like it.  Episodes are only 30-35 mins a piece, we binged the last 3 episodes last night. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/8/2021 at 12:29 PM, munchmemory said:

9 episodes in. I think Berlin is my second favorite psychopath ever in film/TV. Right after Anton Chigurh.

45 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

9 episodes in. I think Berlin is my second favorite psychopath ever in film/TV. Right after Anton Chigurh.

Stopped Money Heist to watch the finale of Invasion on Apple TV+.  Had to see how this badly constructed/acted series would conclude the season.   It's just a complete mess.  Jumpy story structure often unbelievably confusing and cliche.  J.J. Abrams laughs at these writers/creators.  Almost nothing revealed about the aliens.  Shockingly dumb.

As for Money Heist:  We are through episode five and still like the show overall.   Still have a problem with how they don't resolve some of the character issues, especially Monica.  

And you are so right about Berlin.  That smile betrays a madman underneath.  Can't wait to see how his character develops.

21 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Stopped Money Heist to watch the finale of Invasion on Apple TV+.  Had to see how this badly constructed/acted series would conclude the season.   It's just a complete mess.  Jumpy story structure often unbelievably confusing and cliche.  J.J. Abrams laughs at these writers/creators.  Almost nothing revealed about the aliens.  Shockingly dumb.

As for Money Heist:  We are through episode five and still like the show overall.   Still have a problem with how they don't resolve some of the character issues, especially Monica.  

And you are so right about Berlin.  That smile betrays a madman underneath.  Can't wait to see how his character develops.

You just saved me a lot of wasted time. Was going to watch Invasion. Have crossed it off the list, thanks. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

You just saved me a lot of wasted time. Was going to watch Invasion. Have crossed it off the list, thanks. 

All I will say is that you had my wife, son (he's in his 20s) and me all yelling at various times about how nothing story-wise was being forwarded.  Or how dumb the show was.

Some of the most cliche, poorly executed, elements you will ever experience, including a story line reminiscent of "Lord of the Flies", a tragic lesbian love story within Japan's equivalent of NASA where one protagonist is the only person in the agency (or the world it seems) to decipher anything from space transmissions, an Arab family who although experiencing bigotry are able to navigate forest ladcscapes in areas on NY State previously unknown to them, and a black Navy Seal whose main focus appears be be to unleash one expletive after another.   I could go on.   A complete disaster in my book.

All I will say is that you had my wife, son (he's in his 20s) and me all yelling at various times about how nothing story-wise was being forwarded.  Or how dumb the show was.

Some of the most cliche, poorly executed, elements you will ever experience, including a story line reminiscent of "Lord of the Flies", a tragic lesbian love story within Japan's equivalent of NASA where one protagonist is the only person in the agency (or the world it seems) to decipher anything from space transmissions, an Arab family who although experiencing bigotry are able to navigate forest ladcscapes in areas on NY State previously unknown to them, and a black Navy Seal whose main focus appears be be to unleash one expletive after another.   I could go on.   A complete disaster in my book.

Lol. I need a good british crime drama series. It’s been a while, have seen a bunch of good ones. 

• Upvote 1

Up to season 3 of the sopranos and its quickly turning into one of my favorite series of all time. The characters are all very well done (except for the annoying aunt)   

SPOILERS

when Christopher almost died I was on edge and may have shed a tear. I really like him the more screen time he gets. It’s also kind of strange to me how upset tony was when pussy went missing and seemed to have very little reaction when he found out he had a wire or even after he was killed. 

On 12/8/2021 at 1:42 PM, Peace Frog said:

Only Murders in the Building.

Lol what a well written, funny show.  Had no interest when I first started and got hooked almost immediately.  Steve Martin, a tad-campy Martin Short and Selena Gomez.  Great cameo by Sting.  It's really more for an older crowd.  You might like it.  Episodes are only 30-35 mins a piece, we binged the last 3 episodes last night. 

Only 3 episodes in, but this is very good. Oddly funny at times too!

I mentioned the other day we are watching Ted Lasso. We got through season 1 and started season 2. I think it was in episode 1 of season 2 Ted and his asst coach when asked about terrible American football automatically replied New York Jets. It kind of came out of nowhere and a real cheap shot. I think the lead actor who is also one of the writers is a KC Chiefs fan. But you can't dispute it. Esp after today's game and this season. In the Premier League they have a good policy. The worst team gets relegated to a lower division. 

On 12/12/2021 at 4:11 PM, Rangers9 said:

I mentioned the other day we are watching Ted Lasso. We got through season 1 and started season 2. I think it was in episode 1 of season 2 Ted and his asst coach when asked about terrible American football automatically replied New York Jets. It kind of came out of nowhere and a real cheap shot. I think the lead actor who is also one of the writers is a KC Chiefs fan. But you can't dispute it. Esp after today's game and this season. In the Premier League they have a good policy. The worst team gets relegated to a lower division. 

Season 2 is markedly different than season 1. 

Still great but a much different vibe. 

On 12/12/2021 at 12:47 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Wheel of Time is so bad,  I'm actually embarrassed for the people involved.  

yup.  Sadly, someone who lives in my house likes it.  Within 30 seconds I'm all "throw me my headset please...  something crazy in the NFL going on"

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

yup.  Sadly, someone who lives in my house likes it.  Within 30 seconds I'm all "throw me my headset please...  something crazy in the NFL going on"

Now, The Witcher on the other hand is about 60% interesting so far...but the interesting parts are so good,  it's worth it.

I don't care about Yen. I don't care about Nilfgard or the Mages. Make the show focus 90% on Geralt, and it'll be huge. 

Season Ep 1 had one if the best Vanpire stories I've seen in a million years and was done perfectly. 

And then they switch to ladies arguing and drama. Stop!

Geralt. He's the Witcher. Focus on him!! ? 

A coworker recommended Station Eleven to me because I love apocalypse fare. I hadn’t read the book, so I can’t compare it, but the show is pretty solid and timely. It follows three storylines, in different timelines, surrounding a virus outbreak. One of them is really interesting and engaging. One is shmaltzy, and the third one you end up hoping every character in it gets carpet-bombed because they’re all so cliche and terrible.

• Sympathy 1