TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

11 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I dont know what "trying so hard" means, seems like most shows that are historical time pieces, try hard to depict the period.  lol  I'm heading into the final season and it's fantastic, just really well done.  One of the better shows I've watched, honestly.  Shocked it took me so long to get around to it but glad I did.  

The Last Kingdom was recommended to me by the person who recommended Vikings, so that's next but yeah, that story of Ragnar Lothbrok and the Sons of Ragnar is awesome, plain and simple.  What a great story.  Happy I committed to it, it's been a fun ride!

Ohhh you haven't seen Last Kingdom yet lol.

Nevermind.

IDK about Vikings but I enjoyed every episode of Last Kingdom for what it's worth.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The Last Kingdom just ended. What a great show. I tried to get into Vikings,  but I couldn't take it seriously. It was trying so hard,  but I just found it silly. 

I guess we all need to enjoy 10th Century Britain in our own way. ? 

Destiny Is All!

4 hours ago, Nolder said:

Nevermind.

IDK about Vikings but I enjoyed every episode of Last Kingdom for what it's worth.

Having watched both in the last 2 weeks… both were great.  

15 hours ago, Nolder said:

That's good to hear.

Ive always seen people say Vikings was good, then it got bad, then it got good again.

The mascara, Swedish Metal Band video aesthetic, over the top performances, and 115 lb bathing suit models swinging around swords and Shields was all just too silly for me. 

Granted, I got to HATE the Brida character, especially I'm Season 5, but the rest of the cast is just brilliant. 

But Vikings is to Last Kingdom as Sharknado is to Jaws ? 

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Took the dive with Reacher and despite the fact that a billion people told me this already, I was still shocked at how seriously badass it is.

Reacher was solid. Good story wrapped up in one season no messin around.

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The mascara, Swedish Metal Band video aesthetic, over the top performances, and 115 lb bathing suit models swinging around swords and Shields was all just too silly for me. 

Granted, I got to HATE the Brida character, especially I'm Season 5, but the rest of the cast is just brilliant. 

But Vikings is to Last Kingdom as Sharknado is to Jaws ? 

That reminds me of Spartacus. It got a little too over the top imo.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

No, it's actually hillarious. 

I hear HBO is rebooting Rome. 

Caligula will be played by Rhianna. 

Mel Gibson played the Patriot and Russell Crow was a Roman warrior.  Should I keep going?  Weird thing to get hung up.  It’s well done and as a history buff I like it, a lot.  Sorry that bothers you. Maybe i should post more about how much I like it? 

18 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Mel Gibson played the Patriot and Russell Crow was a Roman warrior.  Should I keep going?  Weird thing to get hung up.  It’s well done and as a history buff I like it, a lot.  Sorry that bothers you. Maybe i should post more about how much I like it? 

As a History Buff, when something completely pulls me out of the history or story I'm watching, it's ineffective storytelling. TLK got close with the Brida character in Season 5...

I'll explain the difference from a similar but different example.

In Season 5 of The Last Kingdom, a new character, Father Benedict arrives by way of Rome to lead a Parrish.  The actor who plays the character is a black, English actor. A bunch of ignorant yahoo's were very critical of the casting. Apparently, they were unaware of the fact that there were many Roman Citizens with dark complections, there were dark-skinned Roman traders in Cornwall as far back as Claudius' Invasion of Britania, and many black people were active in the early church. So pretty much anyone familiar with HISTORY mocked that line of complaint and laughed at them.

Russell Crowe playing Maximus is odd...how? I don't understand your point, same with Gibson as a white resident of South Carolina during the Revolutionary War.  

Now, taking a historical figure, gender swapping them for no reason, and then making the inexplicable choice of casting a Danish Jarl in the 10th Century as a black woman makes no sense from any historical or story telling point of view, and was done for the sake of a modern sense of "inclusion" that makes no sense n the context of the history they pretend to be presenting. 

Remember that stupid movie "Outlander", when James Caviezel played an alien soldier that lands on earth among the Vikings(who were actually portrayed reasonably accurately otherwise), and they join forces to fight the giant alien monster? Yeah. That makes as much sense as this casting. 

But whatever,  I'm skipping it. I didn't enjoy the original Vikings show, and when I see stuff like this, I know I wasn't  going to get historical drama, I'm getting a modern soap opera with Viking props.

But hey, enjoy! That's the cool thing about choices. 

5 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

As a History Buff, when something completely pulls me out of the history or story I'm watching, it's ineffective storytelling. TLK got close with the Brida character in Season 5...

In Season 5 of The Last Kingdom, a new character, Father Benedict arrives by way of Rome to lead a Parrish.  The actor who plays the character is a black, English actor. A bunch of ignorant yahoo's were very critical of the casting. Apparently, they were unaware of the fact that there were many Roman Citizens with dark complections, there were dark-skinned Roman traders in Cornwall as far back as Claudius' Invasion of Britania, and many black people were active in the early church. So pretty much anyone familiar with HISTORY mocked that line of complaint and laughed at them.

Russell Crowe playing Maximus is odd...how? I don't understand your point, same with Gibson as a white resident of South Carolina during the Revolutionary War.  

Now, taking a historical figure, gender swapping them for no reason, and then making the inexplicable choice of casting a Danish Jarl in the 10th Century as a black woman makes no sense from any historical or story telling point of view, and was done for the sake of a modern sense of "inclusion" that makes no sense n the context of the history they pretend to be presenting. 

Remember that stupid movie "Outlander", when James Caviezel played an alien soldier that lands on earth among the Vikings(who were actually portrayed reasonably accurately otherwise), and they join forces to fight the giant alien monster? Yeah. That makes as much sense as this casting. 

But whatever,  I'm skipping it. I didn't enjoy the original Vikings show, and when I see stuff like this, I know I wasn't  going to get historical drama, I'm getting a modern soap opera with Viking props.

Awkward Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 1

Watching the first season of Marco Polo on Netflix.   A tad goofy in its storytelling, but worth a look just for the cinematography and costumes.   Gorgeous visuals, especially the most incredible bevy of stunning looking Asian women, often in various stages of undress.  Benedict Wong is great as Kublai Khan.

Started to watch "The Stand" on Paramount+.  I do not know yet.  It is not bad, it could be the Stephen King homer in me, but I am a little lost.

I read the book twice.  Probably, one of the few books I ever have.  I think my biggest disconnect is the book started by introducing you to the main characters in their home environment.  It allowed you to digest Stu, Larry, Annie etc.  I think the 90s movie was similar.  This show, so far, has bounced between the early stages of the pandemic to mother Abigail's crew in Colorado.   

If you never read the book or saw previous movie there is probably no past references mucking up the matter.

On 3/21/2022 at 7:12 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

If I remember the original show, wasn't the original cast just English people, speaking English in ancient Rome? 

Why doesn't that pull you out of the story? 

1 hour ago, Gramsci said:

If I remember the original show, wasn't the original cast just English people, speaking English in ancient Rome? 

Why doesn't that pull you out of the story? 

I prefer Das Boot in German with subtitles,  there is something guttural and warlike about German that perfectly fits the claustrophobic setting of the movie

Apocalypto is very interesting and well filmed, and the language, while not being exactly accurate for the time/culture is kinda cool.

But for a show that is multiple seasons long, using the language of the audience, if In a stylized manner, is appropriate.  Insimply take it as they're speaking their original language in context. Arguing anything else on that point is insanity.

How do I understand Luke Skywalker? Ned Stark? Why does everyone in the Universe speak English to Captain Kirk? 

? 

49 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I prefer Das Boot in German with subtitles,  there is something guttural and warlike about German that perfectly fits the claustrophobic setting of the movie

Apocalypto is very interesting and well filmed, and the language, while not being exactly accurate for the time/culture is kinda cool.

But for a show that is multiple seasons long, using the language of the audience, if In a stylized manner, is appropriate.  Insimply take it as they're speaking their original language in context. Arguing anything else on that point is insanity.

How do I understand Luke Skywalker? Ned Stark? Why does everyone in the Universe speak English to Captain Kirk? 

? 

I can't stand dubbing, it's just terrible. Unless you are vision impaired or illiterate, I don't see a valid reason for films to be dubbed. 

The universes of sci-fi are a product of someone's imagination and to some extent, so are period films/shows.

I don't see the need for a fidelized reproduction of a past that's already being dramatized and that applies to a whole array of categories such as race, gender, language etc.  

If you watched Sophia Copolla's "Marie Antoinette" or even "The Great" ( a show about Catherine the Great from Russia) where writers take alot of creative freedoms - on who they cast, on wardrobe, language. 

I appreciate the subversive nature of those little tweaks. An amazing of that is Black Justin Bieber in Donald Glover's Atlanta. 

https://youtu.be/s9wyNVrRpDk

On 3/18/2022 at 6:59 PM, Nolder said:

Nevermind.

Finished up Vikings, just an absolutely fantastic show, hard to compare to the Valhalla because it's the entire story but Ragnar is just one of the best main characters ever.  That said, am looking forward to how they expand on Leif Erickson.  But the story of Ragnar Lothbrok and his Sons was epic; freaking loved the Sons too, all great actors and characters.  I felt they did it just right, didnt drag it on, didnt dumb it down w/ some silly ending, just told the story and ended, IMO, at the perfect time.  I absolutely loved the ending and loved the show.  Definitely right up there with some of my all time favorite shows. 

I started Last Kingdom.  It's meh.  I mean, I like it a little but Uhtred is hard to buy as this badass.  Not my favorite actor ever.  The story is decent, I've liked it for the most part, lots of unnecessary cheesy humor and I'm only in the first season but the dude has narrowly escaped death like a dozen times, like a split second from dying, not sure how many times you can go back to that script and expect intrigue but it's a bit overdone already so I cant imagine how many more times this happens.  A bit ridiculous, honestly and it's a bit choppy.  It's not terrible but it's not good either, I'm entertained but barely.

I think my thing is that Ive noticed that for these shows, is I have to be bought in pretty quickly on the main character.  If I'm not feeling the actor or the character pretty quickly, I'll lose interest. Uhtred is sitting on that fence line for me, it's not unbearable like other characters but he's not someone I look forward to seeing on the screen and there really arent any other likeable characters.  This happened to me on a few shows that people love, just could get past the main character; Dexter, Homeland, House of Cards, just to name a few.  But if I'm bought into the character quickly and I look forward to seeing them on the screen like a Walt White, Jax Teller, Thomas Shelby, Ragnar Lothbrok, just to name a few, I'll get hooked immediately.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Finished up Vikings, just an absolutely fantastic show,

Just finishing up season 2 right now myself.

Usually I pick out one or maybe two characters who I like and the rest are kind of meh but honestly I like pretty much every character the show has had. I mean obviously some characters are supposed to be kind of unlikable such as Earl Haraldson or maybe Siggy but I like to dislike them as the show intends I don't dislike them because I think the character is poorly written or acted. So far it's been a great show.

I started Last Kingdom.  It's meh. 

I watched Last Kingdom as it came out so season one was several years ago for me but I remember liking it.

I think at the time there wasn't much on Netflix that had a medieval flavor with swords and all that so I'll grant maybe I gravitated more to it than perhaps it deserved but I still don't think it's bad.

I mean, I like it a little but Uhtred is hard to buy as this badass.  the dude has narrowly escaped death like a dozen times, like a split second from dying, 

DESTINY IS ALL

I think my thing is that Ive noticed that for these shows, is I have to be bought in pretty quickly on the main character.  If I'm not feeling the actor or the character pretty quickly, I'll lose interest. Uhtred is sitting on that fence line for me, it's not unbearable like other characters but he's not someone I look forward to seeing on the screen and there really arent any other likeable characters.  This happened to me on a few shows that people love, just could get past the main character; Dexter, Homeland, House of Cards, just to name a few.  But if I'm bought into the character quickly and I look forward to seeing them on the screen like a Walt White, Jax Teller, Thomas Shelby, Ragnar Lothbrok, just to name a few, I'll get hooked immediately.

This is really fair and I can relate to it a lot, especially with the other characters from other big shows you mentioned.

I will say that, imo, Uhtred is more of a character that grows on you (or maybe not) rather than one that grabs you immediately.

I also don't think he's the most interesting character in the show despite being the main character so take that how you will.

I think King Alfred and his family and the whole story of Wessex uniting the kingdoms to create one England is more interesting than Uhtred and his drama.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Nolder said:

Just finishing up season 2 right now myself.

Usually I pick out one or maybe two characters who I like and the rest are kind of meh but honestly I like pretty much every character the show has had. I mean obviously some characters are supposed to be kind of unlikable such as Earl Haraldson or maybe Siggy but I like to dislike them as the show intends I don't dislike them because I think the character is poorly written or acted. So far it's been a great show.

I watched Last Kingdom as it came out so season one was several years ago for me but I remember liking it.

I think at the time there wasn't much on Netflix that had a medieval flavor with swords and all that so I'll grant maybe I gravitated more to it than perhaps it deserved but I still don't think it's bad.

DESTINY IS ALL

This is really fair and I can relate to it a lot, especially with the other characters from other big shows you mentioned.

I will say that, imo, Uhtred is more of a character that grows on you (or maybe not) rather than one that grabs you immediately.

I also don't think he's the most interesting character in the show despite being the main character so take that how you will.

I think King Alfred and his family and the whole story of Wessex uniting the kingdoms to create one England is more interesting than Uhtred and his drama.

Nice!  Glad you're liking Vikings, I know where your at and IMO the next 2 seasons are just unreal good. The best part of the story gets going right where you're at and it is just so well done.

I had a really light day yesterday and binged a bunch of Last Kingdom.  Season 2 is much better and they finally give you some other characters to enjoy.  So I'm sticking with it and you're right as Season 2 progresses the story line away from Uhtred which is nice but he still just doesnt pack the same punch as many other main characters out there.

• Upvote 2

On 3/26/2022 at 7:13 AM, JiFapono said:

Nice!  Glad you're liking Vikings, I know where your at and IMO the next 2 seasons are just unreal good. The best part of the story gets going right where you're at and it is just so well done.

I had a really light day yesterday and binged a bunch of Last Kingdom.  Season 2 is much better and they finally give you some other characters to enjoy.  So I'm sticking with it and you're right as Season 2 progresses the story line away from Uhtred which is nice but he still just doesnt pack the same punch as many other main characters out there.

There are people who call TLK, "The 1000 bad decisions of Uhtred Ragnarson" lol. He can be a real dick early, and while he's the center of the show, other characters are honestly way more likeable. Leofric and Finnan are awesome, Osferth is great, Sihtric doesn't get enough time, older Aethelflaed is great as is Eadith (and both are absolutely beautiful), and Aldhelm is an excellent character.

Hell, by the end I even like Aelswith (Alfred's wife) who I hated early...and it's remarkable that the actress that plays her is 26 years old. 

But many of them don't show up for a while. At this point,  I've rewatched the shows so much, it's like visiting old friends ? 

Amd apparently in real life, Alex Dreymon is a really good dude. 

But **** Brida. I'm sure the girl that plays her is a wonderful person, but I want to punch her in the face by Season 5

14 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

There are people who call TLK, "The 1000 bad decisions of Uhtred Ragnarson" lol. He can be a real dick early, and while he's the center of the show, other characters are honestly way more likeable. Leofric and Finnan are awesome, Osferth is great, Sihtric doesn't get enough time, older Aethelflaed is great as is Eadith (and both are absolutely beautiful), and Aldhelm is an excellent character.

Hell, by the end I even like Aelswith (Alfred's wife) who I hated early...and it's remarkable that the actress that plays her is 26 years old. 

But many of them don't show up for a while. At this point,  I've rewatched the shows so much, it's like visiting old friends ? 

Amd apparently in real life, Alex Dreymon is a really good dude. 

But **** Brida. I'm sure the girl that plays her is a wonderful person, but I want to punch her in the face by Season 5

Right on, you are right it gets more enjoyable and the characters get more likeable but the writing is still lazy, IMO.  It's the same story each season told over again, with a slight twist and different person.  I've literally seen Brida show up 10x to save Uhtred.  Uhtred goes, Uhtred comes back, Uhtred gives his sword, Uhtred leaves, Uhtred saves girls on repeat for 4 seasons.  It's good, it's entertaining, I'm sticking with it, I'm the end of season 4 but not to trigger you again with rage over something you've never seen but I'll just say this, I think you're doing yourself a disservice if you committed TLK and liked it but you're not going to watch Vikings, either one for that matter.  Vikings, the original show, blows TLK of the water, legit, not even close.  TLK is like a 6/7 on a good show.  Vikings is a 10 from start to finish.  It's one of the best shows ever written IMO.  ❤️ 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Just finished four episodes of A&E's 10 part series, Secrets of Playboy.  Absolutely shocking/riveting in its exposure of the under belly of Hefner and the Playboy world.   

Worth the time commitment?  My curiosity abounds.  Also 
85389210.jpg

Just now, Dcat said:

Worth the time commitment?  My curiosity abounds.  Also 
85389210.jpg

Personal accounts from Hef's former girlfriends, personal assistants, security personnel, female management types, bunny "moms", you name 'em.  I just finished the one about the amount of drugs in the Chicago mansion.   Also stories I either didn't know or remember.  Like the kidnapping and rape of several bunnies at the Great Gorge, NJ resort by guys impersonating high rollers.

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Personal accounts from Hef's former girlfriends, personal assistants, security personnel, female management types, bunny "moms", you name 'em.  I just finished the one about the amount of drugs in the Chicago mansion.   Also stories I either didn't know or remember.  Like the kidnapping and rape of several bunnies at the Great Gorge, NJ resort by guys impersonating high rollers.

under 20 miles from me.  You should see the place now (unless demolition has finally begun).  It was used for welfare lodging for many years until it was declared uninhabitable.  Squatter problems too.

NAM3QNHTVBEWXCUXHQRFUWS4TY.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

under 20 miles from me.  You should see the place now (unless demolition has finally begun).  It was used for welfare lodging for many years until it was declared uninhabitable.  Squatter problems too.

NAM3QNHTVBEWXCUXHQRFUWS4TY.jpg

Wow.  Insane what it has become.

I'm watching the series on Optimum's On Demand.  Unfortunately, you can't speed through the incessant commercials. So many of the experiences and stories are both informational and tragic, especially for guys like us who lived through the Playboy heyday.

On 3/29/2022 at 4:24 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

I now know what you mean, she's the worst.  Not a good actress and just a terribly stupid character and her death scene, might be the worst cast off I've ever seen for a main character, how stupid.  I'm half way through season 5 and I think this is an example of holding on too long to a series.    Season 5, is not good.  Curious to see how they close it out but after actually getting some what interesting through season 2-4, this season has been terrible.  It's just not at all an interesting storyline.  The over acting, over dramatization, the same plot told over and over again, the focus on boring characters, they just let it slip away and it's just very good anymore.  

That said, it makes me want to smack you for thinking this was a good show but not willing to watch Vikings.  Vikings sh*ts all over this show.  Not even close. ❤️ 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Curious to see how they close it out but after actually getting some what interesting through season 2-4, this season has been terrible.  It's just not at all an interesting storyline. 

There was a point in season 5 where I was left wondering where the end was going and I was getting dissatisfied. Then the show shifted to end mode and, all I can say is I thought the ending was satisfying. Compared to so many shows with bad endings I would say this is a solid mid level show with a good ending. Easy 6/10. Is it the best show? Nope, but IMHO it's not a BAD show either.

12 hours ago, JiFapono said:

That said, it makes me want to smack you for thinking this was a good show but not willing to watch Vikings.  Vikings sh*ts all over this show.  Not even close. ❤️ 

As someone who is idk maybe half way done with Vikings after watching TLK this is crazy. Definitely watch Vikings. I haven't finished it but SO FAR it is a 10/10 show.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Moon Knight ep1 was dope.

Confusing, dark, well-acted and complex in that it isn’t Don-feeding the audience every detail of an origin story.

We meet the character with powers already. It’s very refreshing.

Really? I was going to skip this show. You think it's worth checking out based on just ep1?

By the way, and this may come as no shock to many of you, the live action Halo show on Paramount+ is dog sh*t. If you're not a fan of Halo or FPS video games in general maybe you saw it coming and/or didn't care but as a Halo fan of over 20 years (even read several of the books) I was hoping that it would at least generally stick to the lore even if the acting or the effects were bad. Well the acting is bad, the effects are bad, and the lore was thrown out the damn window by showrunners who not only admit they didn't play the games (fine, they make tv not play games) but knowingly and actively subverted the lore to "humanize" Master Chief (not ok).

Here's the big debate among fans: in the games Master Chief never takes his helmet off and in the show he takes it off in the first episode. People generally compare this to Mando in the Mandalorian tv show. As someone who's played all the games (except Spartan Assault and Halo Wars) I am OK with taking off the helmet...I just think for such a big moment they could have made it mean something and not done it in the very first episode. While Mando does take off his helmet sometimes we have no problem empathizing or humanizing the Mandalorian. Similarly not only is it also possible to empathize with Master Chief without him taking his helmet off part of the lore is that Master Chief has been so altered by training and technowizardry that the people around him wonder if he's just a robot, if he's lost his humanity in order to wage the war against the Covenant. So again it's a big deal to take the helmet off and humanize him further and the showrunners commented on this before the show came out and basically said they did it on purpose and they don't care what the lore of the franchise is. I am sure it only gets worse from there.

I've watched two episodes so far and I'll probably watch the rest of the season just to watch the dumpster fire but I do not recommend it.