Jump to content

TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***


greenwichjetfan
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 4/10/2022 at 6:39 PM, Nolder said:

Blew through season 1 of Bosch yesterday. Great show so far, nice buddy cop thing going on between Bosch and his partner J. Edgar. If there was one thing I'd like to see more of from the show it's a bit more fort time. The series starts with Bosch in some legal trouble but outside that it's all detective work. Which is fine, I love that sh*t, but I love courtroom drama too. Anyway when I finish season 2 I'll report back.

It is a solid show from cradle to grave.

I have enjoyed Moon Knight so far.   Episode 1 crushed it.  Episode 2 was good, but it seemed to have to jump the plot or draw conclusions  for a show that is limited to 6 episodes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2022 at 8:55 PM, maury77 said:

So none of you are watching Winning Time on HBO about the early days of the Lakers showtime run? If you are a sports fan and grew up in the 70s or 80s, it is a lot of fun.

It has it's moments. John C. Reilly as Jerry Buss chewing scenery is always fun.

Jabbar is 100% accurate. Everyone who deals with him says he's a nasty pompous douchebag. 

Gets right that the NBA pre-Magic/Bird was on the brink of financial disaster. The Finals was broadcast on tape delay at 1130 at night. 

Do think Adrian Brody, a good actor,  is ridiculously miscast as Pat Reilly , as is the guy who plays Paul Westhead. These are type A guys, not wilting violets. You do not get that far in coaching by being a soft weak person. And they play up Westhead was teaching Shakespeare; was a small part of his resume. Seen a preview in the Athletic that some people who were consultants on this quit because they really disliked Jason Clarke's portrayal of Jerry West. But I ain't paying for that. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

It has it's moments. John C. Reilly as Jerry Buss chewing scenery is always fun.

Jabbar is 100% accurate. Everyone who deals with him says he's a nasty pompous douchebag. 

Gets right that the NBA pre-Magic/Bird was on the brink of financial disaster. The Finals was broadcast on tape delay at 1130 at night. 

Do think Adrian Brody, a good actor,  is ridiculously miscast as Pat Reilly , as is the guy who plays Paul Westhead. These are type A guys, not wilting violets. You do not get that far in coaching by being a soft weak person. And they play up Westhead was teaching Shakespeare; was a small part of his resume. Seen a preview in the Athletic that some people who were consultants on this quit because they really disliked Jason Clarke's portrayal of Jerry West. But I ain't paying for that. 

That’s fair, but the casting for Magic is incredible and the guy playing Norm Nixon is literally Norm Nixon’s son.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2022 at 11:13 PM, Integrity28 said:

Severance just keeps getting better.

I just started it last night.  After two episodes, the series is stunningly good.  Fantasti,  imaginative concept.  It's the first series which, so far at least, gives me the same vibe as Black Mirror.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I just started it last night.  After two episodes, the series is stunningly good.  Fantasti,  imaginative concept.  It's the first series which, so far at least, gives me the same vibe as Black Mirror.

I like it better, but yes.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2022 at 4:45 AM, Bugg said:

It has it's moments. John C. Reilly as Jerry Buss chewing scenery is always fun.

Jabbar is 100% accurate. Everyone who deals with him says he's a nasty pompous douchebag. 

Gets right that the NBA pre-Magic/Bird was on the brink of financial disaster. The Finals was broadcast on tape delay at 1130 at night. 

Do think Adrian Brody, a good actor,  is ridiculously miscast as Pat Reilly , as is the guy who plays Paul Westhead. These are type A guys, not wilting violets. You do not get that far in coaching by being a soft weak person. And they play up Westhead was teaching Shakespeare; was a small part of his resume. Seen a preview in the Athletic that some people who were consultants on this quit because they really disliked Jason Clarke's portrayal of Jerry West. But I ain't paying for that. 

Jerry West was hilarious. I get that some of these portrayals are exaggerated but we gotta remember that it’s based off of these events, not a documentary. If it’s entertaining and works within the realm of the show, I say go for it. The show has been pretty entertaining so far. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Severance is great. Maybe my fav show of the year so far. 

Two episodes in, the writing, directing (big applause for Ben Stiller's vision) and acting have been top notch.  The art direction and staging have also been impressive.  Love the look of the many hallways, rooms (creepy break and wellness rooms in particular) and especially the sparse work areas.   They keep the viewer off balance all the way through. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Two episodes in, the writing, directing (big applause for Ben Stiller's vision) and acting have been top notch.  The art direction and staging have also been impressive.  Love the look of the many hallways, rooms (creepy break and wellness rooms in particular) and especially the sparse work areas.   They keep the viewer off balance all the way through. 

Ben Stiller did a great job. He directed like 5 eps of the first season. Agreed about the acting all around. Adam Scott was born for this role. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Took a break from Bosch. Nothing has been bad or turned me off of the show I just binged it so hard I got a little burnt out.

Moon Knight, Severance, and Yellowjackets are on my back burner as well.

 

I decided to start From and wow am I hooked. 

I linked to the Wikipedia article and I'll drop the series trailer but IMHO the best way to start this is absolutely blind with no knowledge of what you're getting into.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2022 at 10:54 PM, Nolder said:

Took a break from Bosch. Nothing has been bad or turned me off of the show I just binged it so hard I got a little burnt out.

Moon Knight, Severance, and Yellowjackets are on my back burner as well.

 

I decided to start From and wow am I hooked. 

I linked to the Wikipedia article and I'll drop the series trailer but IMHO the best way to start this is absolutely blind with no knowledge of what you're getting into.

 

 

Finished season 1 of From and even watched it a second time with a friend.

Strongly recommend if you are into 1) creepy sh*t 2) post apocalyptic settings 3) the tv show Lost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In other news the Halo show continues to bore for the last two episodes...until the very end of the episode where they finally got to the meat of what the show should be: fighting the Covenant. Jackals with swords was kind of cool. If they just kept the show to mostly combat and cut out the cheap syfy drama sh*t it might not actually be a terrible show. But we all know that's not gonna happen.

 

Not sure what I'm going to watch next. Maybe Severance.

I'm waiting on BCS to finish it's season then I'm just going to do a big rewatch because I've forgotten a good 75% of what's happened in the show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/19/2022 at 8:53 AM, munchmemory said:

It's killing me, but will watch tonight.  My family did not want to sit through commercials.  We've been counting down the years, months, weeks, days, minutes, seconds until Saul came back.   I am so psyched for this.

I've got to pick up Saul again, I stopped through season 2. Season 1 reminded me of the struggles I had when I first opened my office

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

I've got to pick up Saul again, I stopped through season 2. Season 1 reminded me of the struggles I had when I first opened my office

If you do pick it up again?  You've got one hell of a journey in front of you.  It just keeps getting better.  

As for this season's first two episodes?  Thought they were okay, but a bit slow to develop.  Not their best effort.  My guess is that Vince Gilligan is laying pipe for what's coming up.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, munchmemory said:

If you do pick it up again?  You've got one hell of a journey in front of you.  It just keeps getting better.  

As for this season's first two episodes?  Thought they were okay, but a bit slow to develop.  Not their best effort.  My guess is that Vince Gilligan is laying pipe for what's coming up.

After the closing two episodes of last season, it was going to be hard to make the opening this season as good.  I really liked the first two episodes.  It's all about Kimmy isn't it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

After the closing two episodes of last season, it was going to be hard to make the opening this season as good.  I really liked the first two episodes.  It's all about Kimmy isn't it? 

I think Gilligan doesn't have much time to waste (11 episodes) resolving all the stories.  Especially finally connecting the Breaking Bad era.Thought they spent way too much time on Nacho.   Didn't hate the episodes;  just wanted stuff to move at a quicker pace instead of meandering around.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Overall, loved Severance.   Watched the season finale last night and was disappointed.  Instead of resolving some stories/issues, they just concentrated on setting up the second season and teasing us viewers.  Left me a bit frustrated.  At a minimum, I needed more of Helly's speech and Mark's reaction to the photo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried watching Man In The Arena tonight which is on Espn2. I gave it a fair shot I usually like shows like this. Even if it’s about them. But it was too boring and too much NEP not surprised these guys came off as jerks. Esp the lead in the show. So I had to cancel it. I don’t care about Beli and these guys at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2022 at 9:06 AM, munchmemory said:

I think Gilligan doesn't have much time to waste (11 episodes) resolving all the stories.  Especially finally connecting the Breaking Bad era.Thought they spent way too much time on Nacho.   Didn't hate the episodes;  just wanted stuff to move at a quicker pace instead of meandering around.

well spoiler below

Spoiler

no more time to spend on Nacho. 

I'm ringing that Salamanca bell myself!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

well spoiler below

  Reveal hidden contents

 

I'm ringing that Salamanca bell myself!

I'm all caught up.   Glad that issue was skillfully resolved.  Loved Mike's attempts to pitch the loyalty angle.  Mike is such a great, complex character.

I'm hoping the pace picks up from here on out.  Eventually, I really want a b/w episode or two focussing on the Cinnabon odyssey.  And maybe a scene or three of Kim showering or changing.  lol   She's so cool & adorable.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/28/2022 at 7:32 AM, IndianaJet said:

Don’t let all this Draft hype distract you from the most important thing this weekend….

image.thumb.jpeg.a3e2624fb139cc6aaeaac7aab0b5d538.jpeg

Didn’t love the part two finale. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Didn’t love the part two finale. 

neither did I.

Thought the first two episodes were good, the middle episodes dragged on and the finale was OK...but not great.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Didn’t love the part two finale. 

Same.

I think Ozarks, IMHO, could have challenged Breaking Bad for G.O.A.T. status.  The show did not stick the landing on the second half of the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2022 at 9:59 AM, PFSIKH said:

Same.

I think Ozarks, IMHO, could have challenged Breaking Bad for G.O.A.T. status.  The show did not stick the landing on the second half of the season.

What didn't you guys like? I thought it was pretty good. Good resolution to several story lines/character arcs. I thought the Ruth/Wendy discussion was 2 great actors at their best for an epic scene. I was not totally a fan of the end of Ruth's story, but then again, I don't know s about f, either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

What didn't you guys like? I thought it was pretty good. Good resolution to several story lines/character arcs. I thought the Ruth/Wendy discussion was 2 great actors at their best for an epic scene. I was not totally a fan of the end of Ruth's story, but then again, I don't know s about f, either.

I am not trying to in its entirety that it sucked.  I thought the final season as a whole was very good.  Part oy my issue might be how I viewed the last part of the season.  I never binge through several episodes of a show, with the notable exception when I was quarantining with COVID.  So I did not let it process as I might have otherwise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you do pick it up again?  You've got one hell of a journey in front of you.  It just keeps getting better.  
As for this season's first two episodes?  Thought they were okay, but a bit slow to develop.  Not their best effort.  My guess is that Vince Gilligan is laying pipe for what's coming up.
I'd be VERY surprised if the last 3-4 episodes dont leave us stunned.i gave my predictions ... but will keep them to myself
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I'd be VERY surprised if the last 3-4 episodes dont leave us stunned.i gave my predictions ... but will keep them to myself emoji1787.pngemoji895.png

Four episodes in and the final 20 minutes of this week's BCS finally got down to business.   I'm hoping we're at the top of the roller coaster and the rest is story free fall madness.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Four episodes in and the final 20 minutes of this week's BCS finally got down to business.   I'm hoping we're at the top of the roller coaster and the rest is story free fall madness.
Yeah ... the Nacho story had a nearly perfect resolution ... looking forward to the rest.
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...