Jump to content

TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***


greenwichjetfan
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I am fully enjoying new Stranger Things. They went full-on horror this season and really big on the 80s horror homages. I felt last season the story was getting a little stale but they turned it all around and this might be their best.

 

I agree with all of your points.  

Season three was very stale, but a few episodes into season 4 and it might be the best yet. 

 

 

 

I haven't started the latest season of Saul yet, but judging the reactions here it might be time to binge.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I think that's the point Vince Gilligan was after.  Kim's obsession with ruining Howard resulted in what we saw (won't spoil it).  They are no longer innocent and likable.

I can't wait until the black & white episode(s), which is where I believe we will all see WTF happened.

The character from classic literature that she reminds me of more and more is Lady Macbeth.  That makes me wonder if she'll share the same fate, suicide, that Lady Mac does.

Probably not because that seems too obvious, and there's probably not enough time left in the series to properly show her being eaten away with guilt. Or is there?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I just saw that there is a new Star Trek iteration, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.   I'm looking for a new series.  So figured I'd ask if anyone here has seen it and if it's worthwhile?

I'm planning to try it soon, but I couldn't even get through the first full season of Discovery, at least not yet.

:-)

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

The character from classic literature that she reminds me of more and more is Lady Macbeth.  That makes me wonder if she'll share the same fate, suicide, that Lady Mac does.

Probably not because that seems too obvious, and there's probably not enough time left in the series to properly show her being eaten away with guilt. Or is there?

 

Very interesting comparison.  Had not thought of that.

18 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I'm planning to try it soon, but I couldn't even get through the first full season of Discovery, at least not yet.

:-)

 

From the little I've read, the creators of this newest Star Trek went back to the original, episodic approach.  Think I'm going to give the series a shot.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Very interesting comparison.  Had not thought of that.

From the little I've read, the creators of this newest Star Trek went back to the original, episodic approach.  Think I'm going to give the series a shot.

That's what give me hope, though I do worry about how they are going to depict the young Spock.  I love Spock, but boy has that character been wrung dry by all the Star Trek shows and movies by this point.

I'm definitely going to check it out...always thought that Pike and Number One would've made for an interesting series had NBC accepted the first pilot that Rodenberry made.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

That's what give me hope, though I do worry about how they are going to depict the young Spock.  I love Spock, but boy has that character been wrung dry by all the Star Trek shows and movies by this point.

I'm definitely going to check it out...always thought that Pike and Number One would've made for an interesting series had NBC accepted the first pilot that Rodenberry made.

 

Yeah, the potential for making young Spock a bit of a cartoon scares me, too.  Absolutely weird that they have not done a complete Pike story/prequel before.   

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Yeah, the potential for making young Spock a bit of a cartoon scares me, too.  Absolutely weird that they have not done a complete Pike story/prequel before.   

They may have been scared off b/c Enterprise was a disappointment and ended up being cancelled.  Following it up with a Pike series would've been cool.

However, I think at that time ST series in general had been suffering from gradually declining ratings through DS9 and Voyager, so Enterprise just continued that trend. And, it wasn't really until season 4 of that it did what it should have from the beginning...deal with the establishment of the UFP.  Getting the series embroiled immediately into a massive time travel "cold war" that dominated the show for 3 seasons was a big mistake, IMHO.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watched Outer Range on Amazon.  It has decent ratings on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes.

It seemed like the Director had to pick five genres out of a bag and make a series.  Or Josh Brolin owed someone money.  When my wife and I finished the last episode and I said to her, "what the f did I just watch".

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@TheClashFan Watched the first of four available episodes of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds last night.  Loved it.  Hearing elements of the original Star Trek theme in the opening credits gave me chills.  They spent some money on the look of the show.  Hoping they keep this pace for the rest of the series.  

I think the Pike story is really going to connect.  Anson Mount is very good as Pike.  There are times when you would swear he's doing a Kirk impression.  He even looks a little like Shatner.  Ethan Peck (no joke, Gregory Peck's grandson) is a more modern interpretation of a young Spock.  We can relax; they did not make him goofy.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

@TheClashFan Watched the first of four available episodes of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds last night.  Loved it.  Hearing elements of the original Star Trek theme in the opening credits gave me chills.  They spent some money on the look of the show.  Hoping they keep this pace for the rest of the series.  

I think the Pike story is really going to connect.  Anson Mount is very good as Pike.  There are times when you would swear he's doing a Kirk impression.  He even looks a little like Shatner.  Ethan Peck (no joke, Gregory Peck's grandson) is a more modern interpretation of a young Spock.  We can relax; they did not make him goofy.

 

Sounds good!  I'll check it out soon.  I think I'm close to finishing Discovery first season, so I'll knock that out first, though I don't care for it (too much spectacle, self-imposed drama, and absurd plot). I've read that Pike is a main character in season two of that....do you know if SNW takes place before Discovery or after?

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheClashFan said:

Sounds good!  I'll check it out soon.  I think I'm close to finishing Discovery first season, so I'll knock that out first, though I don't care for it (too much spectacle, self-imposed drama, and absurd plot). I've read that Pike is a main character in season two of that....do you know if SNW takes place before Discovery or after?

 

 

Sorry, I don't know.  I have not watched Discovery at all.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1.5 episodes into Obi Wan and turned it off.

Its setting up as bad as Book of Boba Fett. At this point I feel like I have to watch because if a lifelong obsession, but it’s utter trash. Like all of these series are just awful so far. Bad stories, bad dialogue and horrible editing. Constant jumping around to the point nothing develops and the dialogue is used to explain the story. Kinda heartbreaking.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

1.5 episodes into Obi Wan and turned it off.

Its setting up as bad as Book of Boba Fett. At this point I feel like I have to watch because if a lifelong obsession, but it’s utter trash. Like all of these series are just awful so far. Bad stories, bad dialogue and horrible editing. Constant jumping around to the point nothing develops and the dialogue is used to explain the story. Kinda heartbreaking.

Damn it.  I want to see Disney's new documentary on Chef Andrés.  Was kinda justifying a subscription by adding in the Obi-Wan Kenobi series.  Figures it sucks like all the rest.   And I'm a massive fan of Ewan McGregor.  Thanks for the review.  Respect your opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Damn it.  I want to see Disney's new documentary on Chef Andrés.  Was kinda justifying a subscription by adding in the Obi-Wan Kenobi series.  Figures it sucks like all the rest.   And I'm a massive fan of Ewan McGregor.  Thanks for the review.  Respect your opinion.

Well, to be fair, I wouldn’t fully judge it until it’s complete. For now, I just have a meh first impression.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/30/2022 at 11:38 AM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

 

I agree with all of your points.  

Season three was very stale, but a few episodes into season 4 and it might be the best yet. 

 

 

 

I haven't started the latest season of Saul yet, but judging the reactions here it might be time to binge.  

Can Season 4 be watched as a stand-alone season? I have only seen a couple episodes of season one but don’t want to watch the whole series. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Can Season 4 be watched as a stand-alone season? I have only seen a couple episodes of season one but don’t want to watch the whole series. 

Probably not.

Its all tying together. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/30/2022 at 11:38 AM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

 

I haven't started the latest season of Saul yet, but judging the reactions here it might be time to binge.  

 

It had been so long, that the wife and I binged season 5 before starting up season 6.  Worth every minute.  Pay attention to the little things too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Season finale of Part 1 of Stranger Things was incredible. 3 and a half seasons of mysteries almost all cleared up and they got you excited for things to come. What a twist.

Easily the best season, imo. 

I thought I was done with the show after season three. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Easily the best season, imo. 

I thought I was done with the show after season three. 

Same, but season three takes on a whole new meaning now given the reveal. I wonder if it'll be better on a rewatch knowing what we know now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2022 at 7:52 AM, maury77 said:

Anyone watching season 3 of The Boys? The opening scene is …… something else.

Insanity. I love it. One of those "did they go to far?" moments. I don't believe in that, but I'm pretty sure there isn't much you can do to go any farther than that. Congrats to them.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/31/2022 at 4:42 PM, Integrity28 said:

1.5 episodes into Obi Wan and turned it off.

Its setting up as bad as Book of Boba Fett. At this point I feel like I have to watch because if a lifelong obsession, but it’s utter trash. Like all of these series are just awful so far. Bad stories, bad dialogue and horrible editing. Constant jumping around to the point nothing develops and the dialogue is used to explain the story. Kinda heartbreaking.

I'm trying so hard to like Kenobi but IMHO this clip kind of sums up the level of writing that we're dealing with. 

Slight spoilers I guess for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

 

Spoiler

 

 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nolder said:

I'm trying so hard to like Kenobi but IMHO this clip kind of sums up the level of writing that we're dealing with. 

Slight spoilers I guess for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

 

  Hide contents

 

 

 

I liked the episode with you know who.  

It's been pretty weak so far though.

 

I enjoyed the Mandalorian, but never even attempted Boba. 

Is it worth the watch?  

 

 

Btw, all the Marvel shows are weak too.

I liked Wanda and Loki, but the rest were meh. 

Moonknight started out great, but it turned quickly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where have all the good writers gone ???? Obiwan is unwatchable. Long scene with inexplicitly scant dialog (probably so foreign markets can dub more easily, little to no subtext, trite dialog)

The Empire's higher ranking officers are constituted almost completely by females sans Vader and some weird asian looking dude that does nothing but speak in a terse asian accent.

The Rebels could be renamed Obiwan's Angels ....

I'm all for more women in power positions if they seem the part ... but man this show is the poster child for how not to do it.



Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk





  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Convinced this is the best show around right now.

It's disgustingly funny and Homelander/Butcher absolutely crush their respective roles. 

After reading all the glowing reviews here recently, I restarted the series last night.  Went back to Season 1, Episode 1.   For whatever reason, think I'm appreciating it more now.   Didn't remember much .   Can't wait to see how the stories/characters develop.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

 

I enjoyed the Mandalorian, but never even attempted Boba. 

Is it worth the watch?  

IMO no not really. Kinda spoilers but the show kind of sidelines him and honestly becomes just a crappy Mandalorian season 3 instead of Book of Boba Fett. I'm basically done with Disney tv at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...