TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

Just saw that season six of Peaky Blinders is finally back on Netflix.   This is one of my favorite series of all time.  About to watch at least the first of this series ending season's six episodes.   Gonna be sad without the great Helen McCrory's presence as Aunt Polly.

• Sympathy 2

Just saw that season six of Peaky Blinders is finally back on Netflix.   This is one of my favorite series of all time.  About to watch at least the first of this series ending season's six episodes.   Gonna be sad without the great Helen McCrory's presence as Aunt Polly.
Man I want to get I to that show so much ... love the actors .. have given it like 4 tries

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

It's insane how much good TV is out there. I've never watched Peaky Blinders or Lost and I've only seen one episode of The Watch and Mad Men. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

It's insane how much good TV is out there. I've never watched Peaky Blinders or Lost and I've only seen one episode of The Watch and Mad Men. 

You should definitely make time for Peaky Blinders.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Man I want to get I to that show so much ... love the actors .. have given it like 4 tries

Sometimes, no matter how good, shows just don't click with you.  Part of the problem might be the heavy accents.  Give it a try some day with subtitles.

12 hours ago, maury77 said:

Personally, Mad Men is right there with The Sopranos as #1 or #2 series in TV history.  Crazy attention to detail and writing.  Peaky Blinders is not far behind.   And like Jon Hamm and James Gandolfini, Cillian Murphy drives the series with incredible acting performances.  The role seems to have been made for him.  Career defining.  I doubt the show would have succeeded without him.

Even watching last night, I was again struck with the overall dynamic of the show.  The characters are so well defined, which is a testament to the show's creator Stephen Knight and its writers.    Plus, the DP(s) really knows how to shoot film.  So much of the show is dark or in shadow.  But unlike other series where you can't see a friggin' thing, the shots are defined and impactful.  And maybe the best use of music in any series.

I watched two episodes last night.  They did not disappoint.  Love how they went immediately to the Polly issue.  We all felt so shocked and sad.  Going to be interesting to see how Tommy eventually gets his revenge.  

• Upvote 2

Personally, Mad Men is right there with The Sopranos as #1 or #2 series in TV history.  Crazy attention to detail and writing.  Peaky Blinders is not far behind.   And like Jon Hamm and James Gandolfini, Cillian Murphy drives the series with incredible acting performances.  The role seems to have been made for him.  Career defining.  I doubt the show would have succeeded without him.
Even watching last night, I was again struck with the overall dynamic of the show.  The characters are so well defined, which is a testament to the show's creator Stephen Knight and its writers.    Plus, the DP(s) really know how to shoot film.  So much of the show is dark or in shadow.  But unlike other series where you can't see a friggin' thing, the shots are defined and impactful.  
I watched two episodes last night.  They did not disappoint.  Love how they went immediately to the Polly issue.  We all felt so shocked and sad.  Going to be interesting to see how Tommy eventually gets his revenge.  
The Wire/ Breaking Bad/ Deadwood/ Sopranos/ Boardwalk EmpireGame of Throne 1-6, ...so much good tv ... I still.have hope that I just have not been in the right frame of mind for PB ... definitely will give it another go.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

The Wire/ Breaking Bad/ Deadwood/ Sopranos/ Boardwalk EmpireGame of Throne 1-6, ...so much good tv ... I still.have hope that I just have not been in the right frame of mind for PB ... definitely will give it another go.

Yup.  I should have mentioned Breaking Bad, Boardwalk and especially Better Call Saul.  It's making me insane that Vince Gilligan and/or AMC put a month pause into Saul before we get to a conclusion.  

And talk about acting performances?  Another career defining moment with Bob Odekirk, who is ridiculously good in the lead role.  Then add in Jonathan Banks as Mike, Rhea Seehorn as KIm, and Giancarlo Esposito as Gus.  Geez that's a talented group.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Yup.  I should have mentioned Breaking Bad, Boardwalk and especially Better Call Saul.  It's making me insane that Vince Gilligan and/or AMC put a month pause into Saul before we get to a conclusion.  

And talk about acting performances?  Another career defining moment with Bob Odekirk, who is ridiculously good in the lead role.  Then add in Jonathan Banks as Mike, Rhea Seehorn as KIm, and Giancarlo Esposito as Gus.  Geez that's a talented group.

Esposito's interpretation of Gus has always been a work of genius. Much of that persona was created by him.  Nearly all the characters in BCS (as well as BB) were developed by the writers and actors as things rolled along.  Just some of the best television we will ever see.  I remember feeling that way over Hill Street Blues and looking back on it now and watching a few episodes.... my Lord....  

• Sympathy 1

Mad Men was great.  I never rewatched so I don't know how well it holds up, but I remember loving almost every episode.   It was the little things they did so well.  You might have to be a certain age to appreciate it and remember how differently things were in the 60's and 70's.  It was my favorite show along with BB and Sopranos (I rewatched these both multiple times).   

BCS is the slow burn that never seems to payoff.     

59 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Esposito's interpretation of Gus has always been a work of genius. Much of that persona was created by him.  Nearly all the characters in BCS (as well as BB) were developed by the writers and actors as things rolled along.  Just some of the best television we will ever see.  I remember feeling that way over Hill Street Blues and looking back on it now and watching a few episodes.... my Lord....  

My wife is obsessed with Gus' persona.  How he speaks.  The neatness and attention to every detail no matter how miniscule.  

She will always mention how brilliant that one scene in the lab was executed when Gus changed clothing in a calm, deliberate manner, put on a pristine jump suit, brutally killed a person, then just cleaned up, got dressed and nonchalantly went on with his day.

You're right about Esposito's work.  Just brilliant.

• Upvote 1

Stranger Things is solid this season.  Just great story telling.   Really ties a lot together.  And as usual, the amount of epic references is all time this season, like they have so much hidden 80's sh*t all around on almost each scene it's wild.

The one I picked up on the other day, is when Dustin was using the phone to call Steve as a sub in their D&D game, this line, was fully on display on top of the phone booth, I was dying: 

image.thumb.png.53c6988dc2a56ee7d17a78ac913d20e1.png

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Nolder said:

Finished Peaky Blinders.

It wasn't the best ending ever but I'm ok with it.

7/10

I did last night, too.  I loved the entire season.   So much angst and sadness for Tommy Shelby.  Cillian Murphy is in virtually every scene of the season and gives a performance for the ages.  Skillfully navigates so many o many peaks and valleys.

Thought the penultimate episode was incredible and one of the best the show ever did.  I was left wanting a bit more at the end as well.  But I believe the reason is Stephen Knight planned to have the true ending in an upcoming film.   Don't know if that's still in the works, but I'll be there, front and center, if it transpires.

Overall, I give this "final" season 9/10.  

EDIT:  "In a panel at the BFI London Film Festival, series creator Steven Knight said that he plans to begin shooting the film in 2023. “I am going to write the feature which will be set in and shot in Birmingham,” Knight said .“And that will probably be the sort of the end of the road for Peaky Blinders as we know it.”

https://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/a40240254/peaky-blinders-season-7-movie/

14 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I did last night, too.  I loved the entire season.   So much angst and sadness for Tommy Shelby.  Cillian Murphy is in virtually every scene of the season and gives a performance for the ages.  Skillfully navigates so many o many peaks and valleys.

Thought the penultimate episode was incredible and one of the best the show ever did.  I was left wanting a bit more at the end as well.  But I believe the reason is Stephen Knight planned to have the true ending in an upcoming film.   Don't know if that's still in the works, but I'll be there, front and center, if it transpires.

EDIT:  "In a panel at the BFI London Film Festival, series creator Steven Knight said that he plans to begin shooting the film in 2023. “I am going to write the feature which will be set in and shot in Birmingham,” Knight said .“And that will probably be the sort of the end of the road for Peaky Blinders as we know it.”

https://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/a40240254/peaky-blinders-season-7-movie/

The last episode I give a 7/10.

The last season an 8/10.

And the entire series a 9.5/10.

I really do hope we get a movie I do think that would put the best capstone onto the Peaky Blinders.

I think the questions the movie needs to answer is: what happens to the Peaky Blinders as a gang, what happens to the Shelby family generally speaking, and who carries Tommy's legacy into the future and in what way?

On 6/13/2022 at 7:02 PM, Nolder said:

Finished Peaky Blinders.

It wasn't the best ending ever but I'm ok with it.

7/10

23 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I didnt realize they were doing a movie, that makes me appreciate the ending a little more because honestly, I finished it last night and was pissed!  lmfao.  To finish the show like that and leaving so much unanswered was such a let down after so much build up all season long.  You knew he was setting up the long game for the family.  I legit, was like wait, what, that's it?  As I was fully expecting another episode to start.

Overall, it was a great season, even though it was definitely a slower burn IMO than seasons past but I understood why.  They writing off an epic character which led to just an incredible performance by Cillian Murphy.  His ability to display the torment and pain that he was going through.  Like, the scene where he finds out Ruby is sick, OMG, so intense.  I could feel it.  That said, when they threw the curve ball with so little time left in the season and him riding away on a White horse, not Black, I was like, wtf??!!!!  How could you do this!?!?!?!  Now it makes sense though, I'm not sure how I feel about all these shows using movies to close the loop.  The beauty of the series it the ability to really dive into the character development and storyline and while sure, it's happened at this point, the movie route always feels a little forced and rushed.  Wish they would have just done the 2 part thingy and had 4 more to close it out.

Overall, a fantastic series, definitely a top 10 all time for me, for sure.

8 hours ago, Nolder said:

The last season an 8/10.

I really do hope we get a movie I do think that would put the best capstone onto the Peaky Blinders.

I think the questions the movie needs to answer is: what happens to the Peaky Blinders as a gang, what happens to the Shelby family generally speaking, and who carries Tommy's legacy into the future and in what way?

That's it?  lol  What happens w/ Mosley, what becomes of Duke (with that epic scene, and by order of the Peaky ******* Blinders!) who does Boston run now w/ Alfie and Nelson (who I assume was playing a Kennedy), what happens w/ Arthur?  

So many freaking holes left.  I loved the series but if there wasnt a movie coming out, I'd be pissed!  lol

9 hours ago, Nolder said:

The last season an 8/10.

34 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I didnt realize they were doing a movie, that makes me appreciate the ending a little more because honestly, I finished it last night and was pissed!  lmfao.  To finish the show like that and leaving so much unanswered was such a let down after so much build up all season long.  You knew he was setting up the long game for the family.  I legit, was like wait, what, that's it?  As I was fully expecting another episode to start.

Overall, it was a great season, even though it was definitely a slower burn IMO than seasons past but I understood why.  They writing off an epic character which led to just an incredible performance by Cillian Murphy.  His ability to display the torment and pain that he was going through.  Like, the scene where he finds out Ruby is sick, OMG, so intense.  I could feel it.  That said, when they threw the curve ball with so little time left in the season and him riding away on a White horse, not Black, I was like, wtf??!!!!  How could you do this!?!?!?!  Now it makes sense though, I'm not sure how I feel about all these shows using movies to close the loop.  The beauty of the series it the ability to really dive into the character development and storyline and while sure, it's happened at this point, the movie route always feels a little forced and rushed.  Wish they would have just done the 2 part thingy and had 4 more to close it out.

Overall, a fantastic series, definitely a top 10 all time for me, for sure.

Had a long conversation last night with my family about season six and the "ending" of the series.   Like both of you have said, there are plenty of unresolved issues and questions.   Originally, I think Knight was planning to do a seventh season.  Not sure why that was scrapped in lieu of a feature film.

Thinking more on it, I got the feeling that the finale was a bit rushed as well.   But without another season, there is no way to avoid this.  Just not enough time to do it right.   Knight painted himself into a corner.  And I hate this just for that POS Mosley, and his gorgeous mistress, still being around. 

I could spend all day watching Cillian Murphy as Tommy.  Just an absolute master class up there with anyone on the big or small screen. Also thought Natasha O'Keeffe as Lizzie was fantastic this season.  Heart wrenching, emotive performance.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

The Boys has to be the most entertaining thing on TV right now. It seems every episode delivers. 

The overly saturated superhero movie market has made it all the more refreshing. 

I don’t think there is a character on TV right now that I hate more than Homelander. Haha 

• Upvote 3

On 6/15/2022 at 5:44 AM, Irish Jet said:

The Boys has to be the most entertaining thing on TV right now. It seems every episode delivers. 

The overly saturated superhero movie market has made it all the more refreshing. 

As I mentioned above, I restarted the series from the beginning a few days ago.   Finished episode four last night and I'm hooked.  No idea why I didn't appreciate the show's brilliance the first time.

Just one of the most entertaining series I've ever watched.  Smartly written and directed, always irreverent, and chocked full of the darkest humor I've always loved.  The "dolphin sequence" with Deep is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.  Really appreciate the tractor trailer punctuation.  Still laughing about it.

19 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I don’t think there is a character on TV right now that I hate more than Homelander. Haha 

Wow, is he dark or what?  And I'm only in season one.  Can't wait to see the depths of his depravity.   What a scumbag.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Anthony Starr should win all the awards. He’s been phenomenal at making Homelander terrifying while also bringing across his childish insecurity. I already knew of Starr from Banshee where he was great as the protagonist but he’s shown another level of range in The Boys.

As @munchmemory said it’s just so entertaining. Unlike a lot of other media in the genre they always seem to get the tone/balance right and nothing feels too one dimensional. It’s never so comedic that the serious moments don’t hit or vice versa yet it has me bursting out laughing quite often too.

What’s even more impressive is how much better it is than the source material. I picked up the comic after season one and I had to put it down it was that bad. It had some cool concepts but it felt way too cynical and edgy, which is common enough from Ennis. Miserable Irish prick that he is.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 6/15/2022 at 5:44 AM, Irish Jet said:

Certainly delivers the shock value.  

On 6/5/2022 at 7:52 AM, maury77 said:

Anyone watching season 3 of The Boys? The opening scene is …… something else.

On 6/9/2022 at 1:03 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yes. And oh my god yes. 

On 6/10/2022 at 12:09 PM, JetPotato said:

Insanity. I love it. One of those "did they go to far?" moments. I don't believe in that, but I'm pretty sure there isn't much you can do to go any farther than that. Congrats to them.

Utterly depraved.  Congrats to the writers for being able to shock me with that one.

• Upvote 2

On 6/15/2022 at 4:20 AM, JiFapono said:

That's it?  lol  What happens w/ Mosley,

Well, frankly that's history.

Its always fun to dip actual historical figures in a show like this but they can also dip out without too much trouble usually.

If you need more closure with Mosley it could easily be done with a scene that mentions his "sudden and shocking arrest!" On the radio or something like that.

what becomes of Duke (with that epic scene, and by order of the Peaky ******* Blinders!)

Thats sort of what I already mentioned about Tommys legacy and the family and all that. We definitely need more Duke.

who does Boston run now w/ Alfie and Nelson (who I assume was playing a Kennedy),

Not sure we need to know this unless theyre they're determined to bring Allie back one more time. I could take it or leave it.

what happens w/ Arthur?  

So many freaking holes left.  I loved the series but if there wasnt a movie coming out, I'd be pissed!  lol

Yeah we need to see what happens to Arthur and Ada and most of the children as well imo.

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

Westworld trailer for season 4 is out. I completely forgot where last season left off. 

Jesse Pinkman and Dolores Enter the Matrix to fight Skynet. When they get to Skynet they ask it to tell everyone their future like a cheap Miss Cleo knockoff and people riot because the future sucks. When they go to leave Dolores in Disguise, angry at the betrayal of her fake family, appears with Black Maeve (as opposed to White Maeve from The Boys) and they fight Dolores but Dolores uses an EMP killing herself and Black Maeve while Jesse uses Science to kill Skynet and Dolores in Disguise escapes. Meanwhile Bernard and that guy from the first season track down the Man In Black and bust him out of the loony bin. Man in Black repays them by shooting that guy from the first season and leaving while Bernard goes on a Spirit Journey. When he wakes up a billion years has passed. The Man In Black goes to Dubai while Bernard is doing that where he meets Dolores in Disguise making clones for the Clone War, he says some spiel about how his allegiance is to the Republic for which it stands one nation under guard for liberty and robots for all but then a Robot in Black walks out and takes the high ground and kills him.

That's pretty much it tbh.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Nolder said:

Jesse Pinkman and Dolores Enter the Matrix to fight Skynet. When they get to Skynet they ask it to tell everyone their future like a cheap Miss Cleo knockoff and people riot because the future sucks. When they go to leave Dolores in Disguise, angry at the betrayal of her fake family, appears with Black Maeve (as opposed to White Maeve from The Boys) and they fight Dolores but Dolores uses an EMP killing herself and Black Maeve while Jesse uses Science to kill Skynet and Dolores in Disguise escapes. Meanwhile Bernard and that guy from the first season track down the Man In Black and bust him out of the loony bin. Man in Black repays them by shooting that guy from the first season and leaving while Bernard goes on a Spirit Journey. When he wakes up a billion years has passed. The Man In Black goes to Dubai while Bernard is doing that where he meets Dolores in Disguise making clones for the Clone War, he says some spiel about how his allegiance is to the Republic for which it stands one nation under guard for liberty and robots for all but then a Robot in Black walks out and takes the high ground and kills him.

That's pretty much it tbh.

That's a brilliant post once you understand all the references. Cheers. 

Finished season one of The Boys.  Last two episodes were nuts.  Nice to see a heart warming ending between Homelander and Stillwell.  Or is that scull warming?   What a psycho.  Also a beautiful moment between Butcher and Mesmer in Penn Station.  lol  Great that the writers also introduced a progeny to spin into the next season.   This first season was incredibly good.

Started season two and the madness continues.  Great that Kimiko bathed.  I am extremely happy/excited to see that Butcher's wife Becca, played by the gorgeous Shantel VanSanten of For All Mankind fame, appears to have some sort of role going forward.   This actress, a dead ringer for Meghan Markle, is just stunning with a posterior  (and other stuff)hewn by the grace of the Creator.   Killer smile.

51-Shantel-VanSanten-Big-Butt-Pictures-W

d8a6ef980de2c3c4df7be85a36fcae68.jpg

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Nolder said:

@Integrity28 Last episode of Obi-Wan had a couple cool moments. Dunno if that makes up for 5 retarded and/or lackluster episodes but it's something I guess. 

I stopped watching. I plan to binge the entire thing at some point. Boba and Kenobi are two favorites of mine, both bastardized thru these shows. I’m content to miss out, frankly.

We’ve  been watching Sex Education and it’s been quite remarkable. The double entendre of the title applies to the plot, but also you the viewer. Very illuminating in a natural way, not forceful, to help shape your understanding of different lifestyles, emotions, mental health, etc.

The acting is brilliant and funny.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

We’ve  been watching Sex Education and it’s been quite remarkable. The double entendre of the title applies to the plot, but also you the viewer. Very illuminating in a natural way, not forceful, to help shape your understanding of different lifestyles, emotions, mental health, etc.

Really? Have to check it out. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

My wife is a major fan of the series.  I liked the beginning episodes, but lost interest (I check in periodically as my wife watches).  Best part for me is the overall concept and design of the show.  Is it England?  America?   Also think Gillian Anderson and Asa Butterfield are stand outs.  And tell me Emma Mackey is not a dead ringer for Margo Robbie.