Jump to content

TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***


greenwichjetfan
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 6/5/2022 at 7:52 AM, maury77 said:

Anyone watching season 3 of The Boys? The opening scene is …… something else.

Just started season three last night.  Only this series could pull off that scene.  Shocking and hysterically funny at the same time.  Wow.

Season two was incredible.  The Boys is one of the most entertaining shows I've ever watched.  Fantastic writing, directing and acting from a great group of actors.  Totally love MM's character.  

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Just started season three last night.  Only this series could pull off that scene.  Shocking and hysterically funny at the same time.  Wow.

Season two was incredible.  The Boys is one of the most entertaining shows I've ever watched.  Fantastic writing, directing and acting from a great group of actors.  Totally love MM's character.  

was waiting for your reaction to that one.  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Dcat said:

was waiting for your reaction to that one.  

I've been limiting myself to two episodes a night.  Left to my own devices?  I would have watched the entire series non-stop.  It's so dark, yet incredibly funny and captivating story-wise.  Characters are so well defined, too.  I had no idea where they were going when the "tiny guy"...er...got going.   Stunned, yet LOL'd when he "reemerged".  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I stopped watching. I plan to binge the entire thing at some point. Boba and Kenobi are two favorites of mine, both bastardized thru these shows. I’m content to miss out, frankly.

I don't blame you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, munchmemory said:

My wife is a major fan of the series.  I liked the beginning episodes, but lost interest (I check in periodically as my wife watches).  Best part for me is the overall concept and design of the show.  Is it England?  America?   Also think Gillian Anderson and Asa Butterfield are stand outs.  And tell me Emma Mackey is not a dead ringer for Margo Robbie.

Yea, with you in all of this. I struggle at times with the idea that we’re watching what should be considered minors in some of these scenes, but the show has a great juxtaposition of open-mindedness and British humor that kinda smooths it out.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

We’ve  been watching Sex Education and it’s been quite remarkable. The double entendre of the title applies to the plot, but also you the viewer. Very illuminating in a natural way, not forceful, to help shape your understanding of different lifestyles, emotions, mental health, etc.

The acting is brilliant and funny.

Love that show, freaking great watch.  Gillian Anderson is brilliant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Yea, with you in all of this. I struggle at times with the idea that we’re watching what should be considered minors in some of these scenes, but the show has a great juxtaposition of open-mindedness and British humor that kinda smooths it out.

That's a great observation.  It's the problem with series like Sex Education and Euphoria:  Casting actors in their mid/late-20s as high school students. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

That's a great observation.  It's the problem with series like Sex Education and Euphoria:  Casting actors in their mid/late-20s as high school students. 

The 90210 of the modern era? Those "kids" were like 35. Andrea had to be late 50's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, maury77 said:

Very consequential episode of The Boys last night. We are seeing the last remaining shreds of restraint vanish for Homelander. 

I fell asleep last night.  So, just watched episode three.  Absolute GOLD.   So many new and incredible developments.  Mazel Tov to the new happy couple Homelander and Starlight.  Major laughs/cringes with Timothy's demise and Little Lisa's line to Frenchie, "I guess he's still upset that you ate his wife's anus".  LMFAO.

Maury, I can't wait to see what new levels of depravity Homelander achieves.  Maybe the most despicable character ever in film, literature, TV, comics.....

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I fell asleep last night.  So, just watched episode three.  Absolute GOLD.   So many new and incredible developments.  Mazel Tov to the new happy couple Homelander and Starlight.  Major laughs/cringes with Timothy's demise and Little Lisa's line to Frenchie, "I guess he's still upset that you ate his wife's anus".  LMFAO.

Maury, I can't wait to see what new levels of depravity Homelander achieves.  Maybe the most despicable character ever in film, literature, TV, comics.....

One of the facsinating aspects of Homelander is that despite being "Superman", is completely driven by some deep seeded insecurities. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone watching The Old Man with Jeff Bridges and Jonathan Lithgow on FX?  Just finished episode 2 last night.  I'm not the biggest Jeff Bridges fan in the world (I think he's a terrible hammy actor), but so far, I'm liking this.  A lot.  (I had to go back and put captions on for some of the phone conversations... they are important.)  Lithgow is ... well Lithgow, an all time film and TV great.  (I can never unsee his Arthur Mitchell character from season 4 of Dexter).  

Give it a try, especially you weirdo Bridges fans, and even if you're not.  (And you're going to love those dogs.)

FXs-THE-OLD-MAN-Pictured-Jeff-Bridges-as

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tried to get into The Boys after reading some of the comments in this thread.  Just never connected with it.  I have never beena  fan of the Super Hero genre in movies of TV, and this one was no exception.  Unfortunately, half the new movies made today are SuperHero movies, so I feel like I never go to the movies anymore. 

But I will when the Peaky Blinders movie comes out.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Criminal that Cillian Murphy's work as Tommy Shelby has not received more universal attention and praise.
5 Eps in ... show saved me while waiting for Saul.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, maury77 said:

I started season 4 of Westworld last night. As normal, good acting, great cinematography and I still don't know what the hell is going on. 

I barely lasted through season 2.  An episode and a half into season 3 and I was forever done.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Tried to get into The Boys after reading some of the comments in this thread.  Just never connected with it.  I have never beena  fan of the Super Hero genre in movies of TV, and this one was no exception.  Unfortunately, half the new movies made today are SuperHero movies, so I feel like I never go to the movies anymore. 

But I will when the Peaky Blinders movie comes out.

It's really dark political satire camouflaged as bad super heroes.  Many different layers.  Plus the shock value alone is worth it.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2022 at 1:41 PM, Dcat said:

Anyone watching The Old Man with Jeff Bridges and Jonathan Lithgow on FX?  Just finished episode 2 last night.  I'm not the biggest Jeff Bridges fan in the world (I think he's a terrible hammy actor), but so far, I'm liking this.  A lot.  (I had to go back and put captions on for some of the phone conversations... they are important.)  Lithgow is ... well Lithgow, an all time film and TV great.  (I can never unsee his Arthur Mitchell character from season 4 of Dexter).  

Give it a try, especially you weirdo Bridges fans, and even if you're not.  (And you're going to love those dogs.)

FXs-THE-OLD-MAN-Pictured-Jeff-Bridges-as

Watched through the 3rd episode; gets better and better. There have already been twists and turns that you could not have expected. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, maury77 said:

I started season 4 of Westworld last night. As normal, good acting, great cinematography and I still don't know what the hell is going on. 

Watched like you look at a car accident. There's no sense they care about any time line nor narrative . No idea how characters got to where and when they are. As below with "The Old Man"; there are twists and turn you don;'t see coming but there's a  huge payoff each time There is no payoff in this show.  It's one thing to challenge an audience but quite another to keep throwing sh!t at the wall and pretending anyone can make sense of it. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Westworld has two huge problems that are turning people off from the show.

The first should be so obvious, it's in the name. There is no Westworld anymore. We left the parks. Honestly I think that was a big mistake. Granted I know there was an older Westworld and I never watched it so I don't know if this is following that story much or not but regardless I think it was a mistake to totally divorce the show from the parks.

The second problem is that it strongly feels like each season isn't really connected to each other. There are so many storylines that never went anywhere or concluded in an unsatisfactory way that people feel overwhelmed, confused, and ultimately let down. Even rewatching episodes and looking up breakdowns on youtube to try to catch all the things you might have missed only helps a little.

 

Let me give an example. At the end of season 3 the world basically went to sh*t. Everyone was rioting and it was crazy, the world basically lost it's foundation which was an AI controlling everything. At the start of season 4....everything is fine. Everyone is just going about their business like nothing happened. It's even referenced while Aaron Paul is doing his new normal construction job by a coworker and I almost feel like what he says has to be a joke by the writers. The coworker says, and I quote, "the riots had no point." to which Aaron Paul replies that at least the riots won them their freedom. The coworker comes back with, and again I quote directly, "Sure but from what? Freedom from ourselves? ... Let me ask you this, has your life changed since they destroyed those machines?" And the answer seems to be no not really. Aaron Pauls character seems stuck in a rut again working a dead end job. Yes he has a family now but really he's right back where he was when we met him in season 3 more or less. Maev is still dreaming about her daughter and is on the run, William (or a clone? I can't remember) is still scheming, we haven't even seen Bernard or Stubbs but again that's part of the problem. We never get answers or resolution and when we do it just leads to more questions and convoluted plots within plots.

 

Personally I'm right about where I was when I stopped watching the Walking Dead. I am apathetic. I don't care what happens to any of these characters and while I watch I just wonder why I'm even watching because I know the show is never going to be as good as it was before. I watched the first episode of season 4 but it's pretty unlikely I'll watch the last episode. I guess I just thought maybe the end of season 3 would be sort of a reboot for the show and they might take it in a different direction away from all the convoluted web of stories they got lost in between season 2 and 3. I can see that's not going to happen though.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2022 at 1:41 PM, Dcat said:

Anyone watching The Old Man with Jeff Bridges and Jonathan Lithgow on FX?  Just finished episode 2 last night.  I'm not the biggest Jeff Bridges fan in the world (I think he's a terrible hammy actor), but so far, I'm liking this.  A lot.  (I had to go back and put captions on for some of the phone conversations... they are important.)  Lithgow is ... well Lithgow, an all time film and TV great.  (I can never unsee his Arthur Mitchell character from season 4 of Dexter).  

Give it a try, especially you weirdo Bridges fans, and even if you're not.  (And you're going to love those dogs.)

FXs-THE-OLD-MAN-Pictured-Jeff-Bridges-as

Sorry but Dobermans >>>> Rottweilers So I cant help but see this and think of Zeus and Apollo 

 

image.png.b806f955d1bdc2c12aebc8096bd6410b.png

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2022 at 1:41 PM, Dcat said:

Anyone watching The Old Man with Jeff Bridges and Jonathan Lithgow on FX?  Just finished episode 2 last night.  I'm not the biggest Jeff Bridges fan in the world (I think he's a terrible hammy actor), but so far, I'm liking this.  A lot.  (I had to go back and put captions on for some of the phone conversations... they are important.)  Lithgow is ... well Lithgow, an all time film and TV great.  (I can never unsee his Arthur Mitchell character from season 4 of Dexter).  

Give it a try, especially you weirdo Bridges fans, and even if you're not.  (And you're going to love those dogs.)

FXs-THE-OLD-MAN-Pictured-Jeff-Bridges-as

Just renewed for  a second season.  That was quick.

Just started episode 3.  Same phone call as was at the end of ep 2 but now you see the guy on the other side of the call.  Loved that.  Only got 10 minutes in until interrupted by life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're four episodes into Yellowstone.  A little cliche in spots, but overall I am enjoying the show.  

And not for nuthin', but Kelly Reilly as Beth has one of the most perfect bodies I've ever seen.  The shot of her walking away nude after the bath in the horse trough left me agog.  I looked her up and she's an accomplished British actress.  The youngest person ever nominated for a Laurence Olivier Theatre Award.   Looking forward to seeing more of her...work.  lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

We're four episodes into Yellowstone.  A little cliche in spots, but overall I am enjoying the show.  

And not for nuthin', but Kelly Reilly as Beth has one of the most perfect bodies I've ever seen.  The shot of her walking away nude after the bath in the horse trough left me agog.  I looked her up and she's an accomplished British actress.  The youngest person ever nominated for a Laurence Olivier Theatre Award.   Looking forward to seeing more of her...work.  lol

I just started second season the other day.

Enjoying the show so far.

As for Beth...nahh man. That's someone I'd keep my distance from.

Nothing can be worth getting involved with a mess like that.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Nolder said:

I just started second season the other day.

Enjoying the show so far.

As for Beth...nahh man. That's someone I'd keep my distance from.

Nothing can be worth getting involved with a mess like that.

I hope you understand I'm referring to the actress, not the character.  Kelly Reilly's body is sick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2022 at 10:49 AM, JiFapono said:

Sorry but Dobermans >>>> Rottweilers So I cant help but see this and think of Zeus and Apollo 

 

image.png.b806f955d1bdc2c12aebc8096bd6410b.png

Ha!  When I watched episode 1 I kept saying "Zeuss!  Appollo!  Patrol!" but I think I will name my next dog Higgins.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I hope you understand I'm referring to the actress, not the character.  Kelly Reilly's body is sick.

Knowing what I know about Hollywood what I said probably still applies to a T.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2022 at 8:51 AM, nj meadowlands said:

Just finished Peaky Blinders and I think it's in my top 2 or 3 shows ever.

Just finished it as well.

It is hard to compare it to other shows, as the show had only 36 total episodes.  Breaking Bad had over 80, Lost, which I still love, had 121.

That being said, excellent show, the final season they seemed to do a bit more artistically with camera angles, more music, quick pans around the room. They really, really liked Tommy doing the slow walk the last season, to the point it was kinda funny.  I didn't like that as much, but I still give the show a solid 9/10, it was fantastic beginning to end. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2022 at 2:17 PM, munchmemory said:

We're four episodes into Yellowstone.  A little cliche in spots, but overall I am enjoying the show.  

And not for nuthin', but Kelly Reilly as Beth has one of the most perfect bodies I've ever seen.  The shot of her walking away nude after the bath in the horse trough left me agog.  I looked her up and she's an accomplished British actress.  The youngest person ever nominated for a Laurence Olivier Theatre Award.   Looking forward to seeing more of her...work.  lol

you-had-my-curiosity-but-now-you-have-my-attention.jpeg.8243c4e6818e31cb9967c5a569597ca9.jpeg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Season finale of Stranger Things...whoah!

It was a freaking movie!

I actually thought this was the series finale until the end and I looked it up.

I guess there's one more season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...