TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

3 hours ago, JetPotato said:

I'm not a fan of it either, but I have worked and know many people in the food industry and they love it. Most say it's the most authentic depiction of their profession than anything else on TV or movies. 

This is what I do for a living. Haven't seen it yet but it's been recommended to me. I'm scared it will suck. 

18 hours ago, Jet9 said:

This is what I do for a living. Haven't seen it yet but it's been recommended to me. I'm scared it will suck. 

The kitchen stuff is likely accurate.  It's the plot, script and acting that sucks.

As for The Bear,  if anyone wants to get a full plot line description, just watch the beginning of the final episode when you get White's lengthy soliloquy in front of his Alanon group (in which white seems to be in every acting job)  that sums up the entirety of the back story.  

Nice job by White there.  

On 7/28/2022 at 8:25 PM, Integrity28 said:

I’m guilty of consuming hours of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. I love it and dare anyone to judge me for it. ?

I find myself watching more shows like this than the great shows everyone raves about.  

I lack the time to commit to a show and would rather just pop on Forged in Fire, Car Masters, Rust Valley, Meat Eater or any car makeover show.  

30 minutes and out without the plots to keep track of.  Winter is for binging the great ones. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I find myself watching more shows like this than the great shows everyone raves about.  

I lack the time to commit to a show and would rather just pop on Forged in Fire, Car Masters, Rust Valley, Meat Eater or any car makeover show.  

30 minutes and out without the plots to keep track of.  Winter is for binging the great ones. 

Winter is infinitely simpler for them, no doubt. Much preferred. Problem for me is, when they release new seasons in summer, what can you do? Like with Saul. I'm behind because I have to figure out a window of time when I'm actually not doing something else not in front of a TV. The weather this year has been amazing. I'm going to be outside as much as possible. But I can't manage the anxiousness of avoiding spoilers or even being without information other people have right now. ? So I'll find the time. If I have to wait until winter, I'll lose my mind.

Yeah, that's a very good point.  I think you're right.  Mike trying to be the white knight and Nacho's Dad was having none of it.  I keep telling my wife and son that I wish Jonathan banks was a few years younger so that we might see a series about how Mike became Mike.  We've gotten bits and pieces, but I want so much more about this fascinating character.  

I dunno ep. 4 or 5 of BCS told the entire story of his son and the backstory. So ... was pretty complete. He had an amazing monologue about his past.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I dunno ep. 4 or 5 of BCS told the entire story of his son and the backstory. So ... was pretty complete. He had an amazing monologue about his past.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Yeah, Mike gives us the backstory.  Guess I'm saying that I would love to see the whole thing play out.

• Sympathy 1

On 7/28/2022 at 10:14 AM, Dcat said:

Finally watched the two episodes.  Here's what I think the Gus interaction was all about.  First..  there is not too much of a role left for him in BCS for the remainder of  season.  We may see him with Walter White and Jesse at some point, but briefly I would think.  For the most part, he is done, and this was for adding depth and character development there after everything he brought to BB and BCS.  Gus has to stop himself from what could be a pleasant relationship, perhaps sexual (as many thought in BB), despite his pleasure at the wine and with the conversation as a whole.  He can't engage in anything personal or socially deep because of what he does and who he is.  That pretty much wraps up Gus' storyline for the series I think.

Also, similar for Mike.  There isn't much left for him on this season.  He was told to go find a new engineering crew and that's his role now that Lalo is resolved.  We will not be seeing much of Mike (perhaps again with Walter White and Jesse). Mike is so deeply flawed.  Between his murder of the German engineer and perhaps here he is trying to make good on all his horrible bad and  his obvious guilt.  Mike has chosen his path by breaking bad so to speak and this shows there is no return.  Never. There is really nothing left for him this season.  Neither Gus nor Mike can be brought into the Gene era so that's a wrap for them.  These were their farewells I think.

Interesting takes, definitely agree 100% on Gus.  That was his farewell.  One of the greatest villains ever written.

I'm not sure that was Mike's goodbye, so to speak.  Maybe.  He one of the greatest death moments in TV history "would you just shut the **** up and let me die in peace", was like the best send off ever.  lol   Idk, I feel like we see him again.

Kim is the one I'm curious about.  Was that her send off?  It cant be, right? 

• Upvote 1

On 7/13/2022 at 8:28 AM, maury77 said:

I finished The Offer last night, what a great series. Lincoln Lawyer is next.

Agreed after having binged it. Have a friend who is one of the head writers and he is justifiably proud of his work, since he being from Brooklyn wrote much of the Joe Columbo dialogue

. Will be cancelling Paramount+ free week preview.

• Upvote 3

On 7/30/2022 at 1:54 PM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Forged in fire is dope.

I'd like these final episodes of Better Call Saul much better if they just stuck to the Gene storyline and let it play out to see if he ever reunites with Kim or if he gets picked up by the feds.

SPOILERS BELOW

Spoiler

The scenes with Walt and Jesse were pretty much worthless to the overall Jimmy/Saul/Gene story.  It almost felt like they were deleted scenes from Breaking Bad.  We learned nothing new showing Saul in the camper with Walt and Jesse and when Mike shows up to Saul's office to tell Saul it's not worth the trouble getting involved with Walt, he mentions all these red flags, but failed to find out that Walt's brother in law was a DEA agent?!?!?!?

• Upvote 1

Black Bird is okay.

Taron Edgerton is not good. His facial expressions look like bad Deniro impressions. He holds his arms out like a gym bro with hot sauce for deodorant. He just looks uncomfortable is his posture and mannerisms. Makes it hard to watch. The supporting cast isn’t much better, specifically the female detective/agent.

That said, I am fascinated by Paul Walter Hauser as Larry Hall. I only knew him as Richard Jewell. Kinear and Liotta are good too.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Black Bird is okay.

Taron Edgerton is not good. His facial expressions look like bad Deniro impressions. He holds his arms out like a gym bro with hot sauce for deodorant. He just looks uncomfortable is his posture and mannerisms. Makes it hard to watch. The supporting cast isn’t much better, specifically the female detective/agent.

That said, I am fascinated by Paul Walter Hauser as Larry Hall. I only knew him as Richard Jewell. Kinear and Liotta are good too.

Hauser is amazing.   He's the key to the entire story.  Edgerton is playing a very bland charachter but I think it works well with Hauser.  He was great as Richard Jewell.  He's a really good actor.   Great creep factor.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2022 at 1:42 PM, Biggs said:

Hauser is amazing.   He's the key to the entire story.  Edgerton is playing a very bland charachter but I think it works well with Hauser.  He was great as Richard Jewell.  He's a really good actor.   Great creep factor.  

Just finished the final episode.  Really liked how they wrapped up the story.  I’m going to have to read more about Hall since a lot of this took place in my neck of the woods. 

And if you thought Hauser was good in episodes 1-5, his performance in the finale is masterful.  

• Upvote 2

On 8/2/2022 at 8:59 AM, IndianaJet said:

I'd like these final episodes of Better Call Saul much better if they just stuck to the Gene storyline and let it play out to see if he ever reunites with Kim or if he gets picked up by the feds.

SPOILERS BELOW

Reveal hidden contents

The scenes with Walt and Jesse were pretty much worthless to the overall Jimmy/Saul/Gene story.  It almost felt like they were deleted scenes from Breaking Bad.  We learned nothing new showing Saul in the camper with Walt and Jesse and when Mike shows up to Saul's office to tell Saul it's not worth the trouble getting involved with Walt, he mentions all these red flags, but failed to find out that Walt's brother in law was a DEA agent?!?!?!?

I enjoyed it, seemed like another version of a send off. 

Killer cliff hanger though, definitely has me like wtf is about to happen

I dunno.... Gene raging in the phone booth without allowing the audience to know who he spoke to, what was said.  Am I supposed to think it was Kim on the other end?  Come on.  

It was immediately after that phone booth event that Gene decided to step up his return to the game and started in on the rich, single men drinking/barbituate con.  A return to Slippin' Jimmy.  

Marion is going to bring him down. Just my guess.  It's going to be prison, death or flight for Gene. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'm just not seeing what everyone else is with BCS.  

I loved BB, but Saul is a snooze fest.  Nothing ever happens. 

I disagree BUT I will say Saul is a much slower burn than even BB.

Consequential moments a BB audience would care about are fewer and far between.

You have to accept that the show is more about Jimmy and care about things like his relationship with his brother for example rather than want to see Gus back on the show.

7 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'm just not seeing what everyone else is with BCS.  

I loved BB, but Saul is a snooze fest.  Nothing ever happens. 

BCS through the year s has given us some of the most brilliant scenes in television AFAIC as well as a complex plotline and strong character development.

But mainly, I just sit back and wait for whatever Gilligan wants to surprise me with. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 8/8/2022 at 3:04 AM, Nolder said:

The Terminal List might be the best show of the year.

If you haven't seen it yet check it out.

Best?  It is definitely a good show.  

It took me a minute to realize Billy Bedlam from Con Air was the Navy Admiral.

6 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Best?  It is definitely a good show.  

It took me a minute to realize Billy Bedlam from Con Air was the Navy Admiral.

In fairness I haven't watched the last season of Better Call Saul but that aside would you say any other show has had a better season this year?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Nolder said:

In fairness I haven't watched the last season of Better Call Saul but that aside would you say any other show has had a better season this year?

The first part of BCS was great.  These last few episodes have been nothing to write home about in my opinion.

48 minutes ago, Nolder said:

Been watching the current season of Westworld.  Wasn't particularly looking forward to it after last season made an already confusing show even more confusing.  But it's been absolutely fantastic.

8 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Been watching the current season of Westworld.  Wasn't particularly looking forward to it after last season made an already confusing show even more confusing.  But it's been absolutely fantastic.

Really? I haven't hated Westworld this much since season 2. It's mainly just aping on the Matrix imo. The best part of this season is what MIB chose to do in the most recent episode.

7 hours ago, Nolder said:

Really? I haven't hated Westworld this much since season 2. It's mainly just aping on the Matrix imo. The best part of this season is what MIB chose to do in the most recent episode.

Totally disagree.  Feel like after a season and a half of searching, it finally has a defined narrative again.  Like, I can actually explain the story line to someone who asks in a sentence or two.

And, obviously, the acting remains amazing.

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I literally have zero guess as to how BCS is about to end and I love it.

We had like a half hour discussion about the BCS ending last night at dinner.   I figure it's either of two things:  One, Saul goes out in some sort of blaze of glory and dies.  Two, he winds up in jail.  Either way, Western storytelling requires Saul to pay for all his crimes.  I don't see him calling the "Vacuum Cleaner Man" again for another exit. 

16 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

I almost quit after the first 2 episodes this season, but decided to stick it out. The season got a lot better.