TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

I chuckled at the negotiation scene.  No prosecutor, let alone a federal AUSA, would have balked at his, "All I need to do is convince one juror" schtick.

Never met an AUSA who was not a bigger obnoxoius self-absorbed tool than any other human being. And the feds do barely lose. Even an as a lowly  state ADA in my misspent youth, we would read defendants the riot act about "queen for the day" agreements. Tell us the truth, tell us everything, and we will get back to you with our deal, and that's 1 shot take it or leave it. 1 lie, we owe you nothing. It's one sided.  It's not like Jimmy's information rolled up an organization; they were all dead. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I really hate being critical of how they end these shows because it's literally impossible to make everyone happy.  Except in the game of Game of Thrones, that was a ******* debacle but otherwise, I typically dont get all bent out of shape if the ending doesnt seem fulfilling or leaves a lot questions unanswered or maybe dosent go how I was expecting.  Sometimes, I enjoy that type of ending depending on the character, like, I had no problem with how the Sopranos ended.

While I understood the why behind what happened in the court room, Saul saw Kim and since technically, she's really the only person left in his life (and the only person he ever loved and the only person who ever really supported Jimmy), he wanted to follow her example and confess to salvage the only meaningful relationship he still has but I agree, it was a slightly disappointing considering how epic it was that he got them down to 7 years for all that sh*t.  In some ways, it gives you that, he's still got it but bring more closure to know he's never getting out but in other ways, it's like, damn, would have a been a little bit more of a hell yeah moment if like say maybe, he took the deal and it ended with the chant on the bus. 

I will say, I did love how they tied together the cameos of Walt and Jesse and that wasnt just fan fair.  I loved bring in Mrs. Schrader.  In the end, it up there with one of the best series I've ever watched and both Reah and Bob were fantastic right down to the last shot even if maybe I wanted a little for flair for the dramatics in the end.

The "Time Machine'' thing, bringing Mike, Walter and Chuck all back, was really fun. The courtroom stuff, not so much. 

On 8/10/2022 at 12:24 PM, JiFapono said:

Funny part about the Sprinkler company, my folks live in Palm Coast!  Couldnt have depicted it better.  lmfao

I dont think it's suicide but it cant be just as simple as, the cops arrest him.  There has to be more.  Like a twist, idk, maybe even Kim coming back as the prosecuting attorney vs. him?  A stretch, I know but it's got to be something like that, right?  Like someone has the last laugh somehow? 

And I hear you on Gene but I think a key moment that shows you Jimmy is still in there is when he couldnt bring himself to hurt the old lady.  It was brilliant moment, after showing how hard he broke bad, I thought.

I also took that moment as "he's no Walter White", in contrast to Jimmy's boast that Walter was nothing without him.

• Upvote 1

On 8/16/2022 at 9:17 PM, Bugg said:

Never met an AUSA who was not a bigger obnoxoius self-absorbed tool than any other human being. And the feds do barely lose. Even an as a lowly  state ADA in my misspent youth, we would read defendants the riot act about "queen for the day" agreements. Tell us the truth, tell us everything, and we will get back to you with our deal, and that's 1 shot take it or leave it. 1 lie, we owe you nothing. It's one sided.  It's not like Jimmy's information rolled up an organization; they were all dead. 

Accurate. I think I've read that the feds have a conviction rate of over 95%. The resources they have (particularly compared to the state level) are ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

@JetPotato We are now four episodes into Shoresy.   This thing is completely nuts.  Absolutely love this wonderfully written show.  

I know nothing about small town Canadian hockey, but Jared Keeso seems to have captured the madness of the system and people.   He's also incredible in the lead role.  Keeso has an innate ability to write and deliver this rapid fire dialog.  I also dig the three women who run the team.  Thanks again for the recommendation.

11 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

@JetPotato We are now four episodes into Shoresy.   This thing is completely nuts.  Absolutely love this wonderfully written show.  

I know nothing about small town Canadian hockey, but Jared Keeso seems to have captured the madness of the system and people.   He's also incredible in the lead role.  Keeso has an innate ability to write and deliver this rapid fire dialog.  I also dig the three women who run the team.  Thanks again for the recommendation.

No problem. How deep have you gotten into Letterkenny?

Anita Dyck?

There's actual quite a bit of context provided in later seasons of LK to Shoresy

10 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Anita Dyck?

There's actual quite a bit of context provided in later seasons of LK to Shoresy

Only the first three episodes.  For some reason, we decided to try an episode of Shoresy to see how it was.  Loved it from the start. "STFU, Sanguinet".  lol  Two more and we'll have watched the six available.  Then, we'll head back over to Letterkenny.  

Anita Dyck?  lol  Guess she's a precursor to Ted Hitchcock.  lol

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Anita Dyck?

Get Going Lets Go GIF

Letterkenny is a great show.  

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

House of the Dragon got me all back into the GOT feels.

I'm gonna give it a few episodes, but it may be worthy of it's own thread.

Lot's of blood, violence and boobies....how can you complain.

My wife and I had essentially sworn off of GOT after the final 2 or 3 episodes of the original series. Was so disappointed with the way that it had ended that we didn't even bother to waste any more time on thinking or talking about that universe. We didn't even know there were spinoffs planned or coming out - we just found out about HotD yesterday itself!

Had nothing better to do so we decided to try it, but since we didn't know anything about it, we watched a screencrunch video for 'everything you need to know before HotD' beforehand. Gotta say, although the youtube video was was 12 minutes of nonstop information, it was well worth it. Gave so much context and backstory to episode 1.

As you said, my wife and I were thrown all the way back into the GOT universe and had all the feels. Really really enjoyed the episode. I get that the dragons are cool, and the blood and violence is fun for a few scenes each episode, but I really hope they focus a lot of this series on those King/Queen roundtable discussions. When GOT was at its best, it was the political dialogue and schemes that were front and center.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

My wife and I had essentially sworn off of GOT after the final 2 or 3 episodes of the original series. Was so disappointed with the way that it had ended that we didn't even bother to waste any more time on thinking or talking about that universe. We didn't even know there were spinoffs planned or coming out - we just found out about HotD yesterday itself!

Had nothing better to do so we decided to try it, but since we didn't know anything about it, we watched a screencrunch video for 'everything you need to know before HotD' beforehand. Gotta say, although the youtube video was was 12 minutes of nonstop information, it was well worth it. Gave so much context and backstory to episode 1.

As you said, my wife and I were thrown all the way back into the GOT universe and had all the feels. Really really enjoyed the episode. I get that the dragons are cool, and the blood and violence is fun for a few scenes each episode, but I really hope they focus a lot of this series on those King/Queen roundtable discussions. When GOT was at its best, it was the political dialogue and schemes that were front and center.

And the best part is that this storyline is already completed in the books....so the showrunners won't be going off in their own direction over the final few seasons!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I thought House of Dragons got off to a really good start (even though I'm in the minority because I did not hate the way GOT ended). 

I'm in the same boat.  While the ending wasn't the best part of the series, in my opinion it was nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I thought House of Dragons got off to a really good start (even though I'm in the minority because I did not hate the way GOT ended). 

I enjoyed the opening episode.  I'm fully intrigued even though I loathe what they did to GoT.  I've mentioned it before, I'm typically not critical of how they end these shows, it's so hard to do well and impossible to please all...except in the case of GoT.  So bad.  Ridiculous really but still an amazing show and why I prioritized watching HoD, which I thought was solid.  I'm sold and excited to see where this goes.

On 8/22/2022 at 10:58 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

I don't really see how this is a 5 season show.

The original, you had so much going on, different houses, the North, the Ice Guys, The Watch, Peter Baelish.  This one is gonna be, the current king dies, his brother and his daughter fight it out.  Sure, it'll be fun and bloody, but there isn't a who lot else going on.

I thought the 1st episode was fine, my 2 cents, it was trying to hard.  The birth was really bloody, the random orgy going on behind Matt Smith was a little awkward.  GOT had obviously had great fights, and many sex scenes, but they didn't drive the show, the plot and acting did.

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I enjoyed the opening episode.  I'm fully intrigued even though I loathe what they did to GoT.  I've mentioned it before, I'm typically not critical of how they end these shows, it's so hard to do well and impossible to please all...except in the case of GoT.  So bad.  Ridiculous really but still an amazing show and why I prioritized watching HoD, which I thought was solid.  I'm sold and excited to see where this goes.

I'm with you. Of all the shows that got killed for bad endings, I generally thought most of them were way overblown, and actually liked some of them. Seinfeld, Dexter, Sopranos, etc. I tend to be very lenient on the direction that the directors want to go in with their own show. That might be why I absolutely despised the final episodes of GOT and can't give them the same benefit. Maybe it was because these directors were just putting books to motion picture for the entire series, and then decided to go off on their own at the end and really f'd the whole thing up. 

I'm with you. Of all the shows that got killed for bad endings, I generally thought most of them were way overblown, and actually liked some of them. Seinfeld, Dexter, Sopranos, etc. I tend to be very lenient on the direction that the directors want to go in with their own show. That might be why I absolutely despised the final episodes of GOT and can't give them the same benefit. Maybe it was because these directors were just putting books to motion picture for the entire series, and then decided to go off on their own at the end and really f'd the whole thing up. 
There was a substantial dropoff in writing once the original source material was expended. More action scenes , less intrigue, less good dialogue.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

aside:  Dexter's original ending season was perhaps the worst garbage Ive ever seen. The season before was horrific too.  They all knew it too.  Yeah sure... Deb is a drug addict now...  notwithstanding the mess of a plotline based on what she did the previous season.  The writers ran out of gas around season 6 and were grasping at straws.  This is one of the reasons I was glad to see the reboot, which was a much better storyline and ending.  

Want a great ending?  The Ray Donovan movie that was made in lieu of a final season is just flat out great.  But it's useless if you haven't watched the entire series. There's the catch.  An absolutely underrated gem of a series.  

16 minutes ago, Dcat said:

aside:  Dexter's original ending season was perhaps the worst garbage Ive ever seen. The season before was horrific too.  They all knew it too.  Yeah sure... Deb is a drug addict now...  notwithstanding the mess of a plotline based on what she did the previous season.  The writers ran out of gas around season 6 and were grasping at straws.  This is one of the reasons I was glad to see the reboot, which was a much better storyline and ending.  

Want a great ending?  The Ray Donovan movie that was made in lieu of a final season is just flat out great.  But it's useless if you haven't watched the entire series. There's the catch.  An absolutely underrated gem of a series.  

When a Jets fan claims something is the worst garbage he's ever seen, it's got to be really, really bad.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, chirorob said:

I don't really see how this is a 5 season show.

The original, you had so much going on, different houses, the North, the Ice Guys, The Watch, Peter Baelish.  This one is gonna be, the current king dies, his brother and his daughter fight it out.  Sure, it'll be fun and bloody, but there isn't a who lot else going on.

I thought the 1st episode was fine, my 2 cents, it was trying to hard.  The birth was really bloody, the random orgy going on behind Matt Smith was a little awkward.  GOT had obviously had great fights, and many sex scenes, but they didn't drive the show, the plot and acting did.

Think at times to various story lines in GoT got totally out of control.

So far, so good. Matt Smith is excellent; did great work in "The Crown" and "Doctor Who". 

The King, Paddy Considine,  looks like Brett "Hitman" Hart. 

Happened upon "The Bear"; like it. 

On 8/24/2022 at 8:42 AM, maury77 said:

You got me excited now.  I felt the same way about the ending of GOT.

I’ve been on call all week for work, so I couldn’t dabble in it yet, but am going to this weekend.  I also want to start The Boys and Ted Lasso because @Jet Nut won’t stop telling me how great they are.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

You got me excited now.  I felt the same way about the ending of GOT.

I’ve been on call all week for work, so I couldn’t dabble in it yet, but am going to this weekend.  I also want to start The Boys and Ted Lasso because @Jet Nut won’t stop telling me how great they are.

The Boys is great, I haven’t seen Ted Lasso yet.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, maury77 said:

The Boys is great, I haven’t seen Ted Lasso yet.

Good to hear re: The Boys.  

I just got a LG C1 OLED tv not too long ago, and it came with 3 months of Apple TV+ so I figured I would jump into Ted Lasso as well!

• Upvote 1