TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

It’s got better and better imo.

Paddy Considine bas absolutely killed it as Viserys. Just a master actor who steals every scene he’s in. The young actresses for Alicent and Rhaenyra were great as well, I think that’s their last episode. 

They’ve done so well adapting a story which wasn’t nearly as easy to adapt as ASOIAF. They’ve made the characters even more compelling than their book counterparts. All they could really do in these early episodes was set up the conflict and get me caring about those involved and they’ve done that.

I do think the violence has seemed forced in at times but that may just be a HBO thing.

I’ve really liked every episode so far. Like, old school GOT feels.

Wife was saying that they’re going to fast forward the story and that by next weeks episode, they’re going to be much older. Curious how that’ll play out.

• Upvote 1

I'm four episodes in with Amazon's Outer Range, starring Josh Brolin.  So far, not very much going on with this plodding storyline.  Aliens?  Various other dimensions? Time/space continuum fluxes?  You tell me.  
Overall, the show is like a Yellowstone wannabe, with much less action and compelling characters.  In his role, Josh Brolin emotes very much like a wooden statue and is also very close to approaching Jeff Bridges-level of mumbling unintelligibility.  
Guess I'll hang in to finally see how this is all explained.  But I have a feeling that it will take a while and wind up as unfulfilling/goofy as Cloverleaf and Lost.
Could not make it past ep 4

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Sympathy 1

On 9/19/2022 at 6:41 AM, Irish Jet said:

It’s got better and better imo.

Paddy Considine bas absolutely killed it as Viserys. Just a master actor who steals every scene he’s in. The young actresses for Alicent and Rhaenyra were great as well, I think that’s their last episode. 

They’ve done so well adapting a story which wasn’t nearly as easy to adapt as ASOIAF. They’ve made the characters even more compelling than their book counterparts. All they could really do in these early episodes was set up the conflict and get me caring about those involved and they’ve done that.

I do think the violence has seemed forced in at times but that may just be a HBO thing.

Yeah 100%. I think maybe the first episode or two he was a bit underwhelming but once you really get a sense for the fact that all he's trying to do is hold the realm together, hold his house together, maybe leave a good legacy as king, etc all while his body is just falling apart and the constant headaches his daughter gives him, his brother gives him, his small council...I think it really took a couple episodes to get his full character at least for me but once it clicked I'd say his performance has been the best in the first half of the season amid other very good performances.

One thing I will say, unlike Game of Thrones, is I haven't read the books that are being adapted before hand in this case so I have no idea what's coming next except for in the broadest sense. I have heard the show is doing a better job at telling this story than the books did though from pretty much everyone who has read them so that's cool.

• Upvote 1

"HOD" is not making the mistake "GOT" sometimes made of having tons of storylines and characters such some don't even matter in an episode for weeks. getting right to the heart of the main story.  Martin apparently is focusing on the main story rather than a mess of 2nd ones. 

5 hours ago, Bugg said:

"HOD" is not making the mistake "GOT" sometimes made of having tons of storylines and characters such some don't even matter in an episode for weeks. getting right to the heart of the main story.  Martin apparently is focusing on the main story rather than a mess of 2nd ones. 

I've watched the first two episodes.  I know the creator is establishing stories and characters.  But most of it is flat out slow and not very interesting.  Matt Smith as Daemon Targaryen and Emma D'Arcy as Rhaenyra Targaryen are the best part of the series.   Can't wait until my long-time crush Olivia Cooke arrives as an older Alicent.

Best scene so far was Rhaenyra flying in on the dragon, and calmly walking off, to settle the dispute.   That was kick ass.  

I'll tell you what's the most gripping thing on TV right now.

The Aaron Judge show.

This man is a physical marvel. Everyone should be tuning into what he's doing right now. Mets fans, casual baseball fans, sports fans in general... just watch this week with Yankee fans. You'll be glad you did, I promise. Only the 3rd person ever to legitimately do what he's done this year and the 1st in 61 years. Perfect swing, total command of the zone, and strong as an ox. It's must-see stuff.

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2022 at 11:53 AM, Bugg said:

I think that is ultimately what killed Walking Dead.  That an Andrew Lincoln leaving.

I think HOD is doing a good job of focusing on the main points of the show.  I did not expect King Viserys to be still around in ep6.  

As far as BCS ending, I think it was a solid ending for the show.  I think BB is the best ending for all shows, but BCS did a solid job.  

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2022 at 5:55 PM, munchmemory said:

I've watched the first two episodes.  I know the creator is establishing stories and characters.  But most of it is flat out slow and not very interesting.  Matt Smith as Daemon Targaryen and Emma D'Arcy as Rhaenyra Targaryen are the best part of the series.   Can't wait until my long-time crush Olivia Cooke arrives as an older Alicent.

Best scene so far was Rhaenyra flying in on the dragon, and calmly walking off, to settle the dispute.   That was kick ass.  

Hang in there, it gets better. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2022 at 2:55 PM, munchmemory said:

The first couple episodes WERE slow but they were also crucial to setting things up. None of it was wasted time. Like in episode 1 where they established that Rhynera smelled like dragon after riding her dragon. Then a few episodes later Daemon shows up in the Veil (presumably smelling like dragon since he flew there) and spooks the Bronze Bitch's horse by putting his hands up near its nostrils. Slow isn't always bad (re: Breaking Bad).

6 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

I think that is ultimately what killed Walking Dead.  That an Andrew Lincoln leaving.

I think that was just the final nail in the coffin.

I think people hadn't been happy about their favorite characters leaving the show since Glen and Abraham. 

It made the show boring for them because they had less attachments to the characters that were introduced to fill the space.

That's definitely part of why I personally stopped watching.

6 hours ago, maury77 said:

Hang in there, it gets better. 

15 minutes ago, Nolder said:

The first couple episodes WERE slow but they were also crucial to setting things up. None of it was wasted time. Like in episode 1 where they established that Rhynera smelled like dragon after riding her dragon. Then a few episodes later Daemon shows up in the Veil (presumably smelling like dragon since he flew there) and spooks the Bronze Bitch's horse by putting his hands up near its nostrils. Slow isn't always bad (re: Breaking Bad).

Finished episode three.  I like the show so far.  But unlike GOTs, the pace does drag a bit and the scale is so much less involved (ornate?).  I guess part of the issue is that we are not dealing with GOT's multiple families and the myriad problems associated with each.   Also that the budget seems much less for this series.

• Upvote 1

On 9/23/2022 at 12:09 PM, munchmemory said:

But unlike GOTs, the pace does drag a bit and the scale is so much less involved (ornate?).  I guess part of the issue is that we are not dealing with GOT's multiple families and the myriad problems associated with each.  

I like that it is (or was) more focused.

As of the latest episode I can't keep all the kids names straight.

On 9/23/2022 at 12:09 PM, munchmemory said:

Also that the budget seems much less for this series.

In what way? Costumes? Sets? CGI?

You might be right but personally I haven't noticed.

According to these two articles I just looked up:

GOT S1 had a total budget of $60M or $6M per episode on average, although usually they budget one episode heavier than the others so more likely each episode was working with $5M or less.

GOT S8 had a budget of around $90M or $15M per episode on average.

HOTD S1 has a budget of $200M or $20M on per episode on average.

So yeah the budget is reported as bigger than ever.

On 9/26/2022 at 4:09 PM, Irish Jet said:

I’d worried about the time skips in HOTD and that was the first time where I think it really hurt the show. It felt like there was an episode missing.

It was still a good episode in of itself but I think a lot of moments would have hit harder if some characters had been more fleshed out.

Watched the "time jump" episode last night.  Totally agree with your comments about a "missing episode".   It was like, wham we're suddenly now in a new situation with new people 10 years in the future.   Too abrupt, IMO.

Also, I don't like the new Rhaenyra.  I miss Milly Alcock's (tragic last name) look and style.   And as a big fan of Olivia Cooke, so far I don't think she clicks in the role of Alicint.

On 9/23/2022 at 8:42 AM, PFSIKH said:

I think HOD is doing a good job of focusing on the main points of the show.  I did not expect King Viserys to be still around in ep6.  

As far as BCS ending, I think it was a solid ending for the show.  I think BB is the best ending for all shows, but BCS did a solid job.  

My wife is still watching TWD mostly out of habit-like obligation. It's the same thing, over and over; some new group who goes to war with or to tries to dominate the core group. And all these people have all these weird affects; garbage people, stupid clothes and uniforms, cult-like nonsense. If the zombie apocalypse , why would people value weirdness? 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

17 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Also, I don't like the new Rhaenyra.  I miss Milly Alcock's (tragic last name) look and style.

Yeah I think the younger actress was better tbh.

I mean I'm sure it can be hard to find actors who look similar so if this is the best they could do it's alright.

I don't hate it or anything.

17 hours ago, munchmemory said:

And as a big fan of Olivia Cooke, so far I don't think she clicks in the role of Alicint.

I actually like the new Allicent.

The transition from younger to older was much less abrupt with her imo.

• Upvote 2

idk, could be in the minority here but I thought they did the time jump really well.  You didnt need to spend any time figuring it out, they put together the continuation w/ out a ton of guess work to what happened.  Pretty impressive if you think about it.  And, the set up is ridiculous, it looks to be finally taking off.  We finally saw the behind the scenes treachery that made GOT brilliant.  IDK but that was by far my favorite episode of the season and it looks to set up what is a ******* crazy storyline to come. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I am late to the party on Bill Hader's series, Barry.   After three episodes, I love this thing.  It's funny, clever, well acted (especially by Hader, Henry Winkler, the adorable Sarah Goldberg, and the Chechnyan mobsters), with crisp/together scripts.    I hope the brilliance continues.

oooh... must try.  what network?

6 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I am late to the party on Bill Hader's series, Barry.   After three episodes, I love this thing.  It's funny, clever, well acted (especially by Hader, Henry Winkler, the adorable Sarah Goldberg, and the Chechnyan mobsters), with crisp/together scripts.    I hope the brilliance continues.

Loved that show, but you really have to appreciate dark comedy. It's one of the darkest I've ever seen. So well written. Hader is a god of comedy who isn't appreciated nearly as much as he should be.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, JetPotato said:

Loved that show, but you really have to appreciate dark comedy. It's one of the darkest I've ever seen. So well written. Hader is a god of comedy who isn't appreciated nearly as much as he should be.

As long as I can remember, I have loved dark humor.   Barry is a gem of a series.   The writing for Henry Winkler's acting teacher character is beyond inspired.   Hader's understated performance is outstanding.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

As long as I can remember, I have loved dark humor.   Barry is a gem of a series.   The writing for Henry Winkler's acting teacher character is beyond inspired.   Hader's understated performance is outstanding.

If you're a Hader fan, check out Documentary Now! (Season 1 anyway). 

Buckle up for darkness. I enjoy it too, and it's the only show where I've just had some stunned WTF moments with where they go with it. Keep going.

How'd you do with Letterkenny? Finish it? New season wrapped up filming just today.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

If you're a Hader fan, check out Documentary Now! (Season 1 anyway). 

Buckle up for darkness. I enjoy it too, and it's the only show where I've just had some stunned WTF moments with where they go with it. Keep going.

How'd you do with Letterkenny? Finish it? New season wrapped up filming just today.

We wound up not renewing Hulu so am still in the first season of Letterkenny.  We'll go back at some point.  And we did finish Shoresy, which my family loved.   Thanks again.  

I've been watching a series of youtube summaries of old episodes of Colombo.  I loved that show when I was younger and the show still holds up really well today.  I'm going to find the full episodes and go through the whole series again.  Just a great tv series.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I've been watching a series of youtube summaries of old episodes of Colombo.  I loved that show when I was younger and the show still holds up really well today.  I'm going to find the full episodes and go through the whole series again.  Just a great tv series.

'Excuse me sir, just one more thing...'

My dad watched all those old cop shows like Colombo, Kojack, Hill Street Blues, Rockford Files when I was a kid. Colombo was my favorite. 

46 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

'Excuse me sir, just one more thing...'

My dad watched all those old cop shows like Colombo, Kojack, Hill Street Blues, Rockford Files when I was a kid. Colombo was my favorite. 

Such clever shows.  Just turned everything on its head regrading that style of show. 

Show the murder and who did it at the beginning and then have the rest of the show about how the case is solved.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Such clever shows.  Just turned everything on its head regrading that style of show. 

Show the murder and who did it at the beginning and then have the rest of the show about how the case is solved.

Wasn't Murder She Wrote like that too? My grandma watched the hell out of that one. 

• Upvote 1