TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

On 10/5/2022 at 12:57 PM, Jet9 said:

'Excuse me sir, just one more thing...'

My dad watched all those old cop shows like Colombo, Kojack, Hill Street Blues, Rockford Files when I was a kid. Colombo was my favorite. 

Loved Columbo on those Thursday nights once every 3 (or 4) weeks as it alternated with a bunch of other shows.  THursday night was usually baby-sitter night in my home so the TV was on.   My favorite two episodes were when he nailed Dick Van Dyke, once as a photographer and the other as a cardiac surgeon, several years apart, for murdering their respective wives or lovers.  Loved the way he frustrated the hell out of his suspects.  Brilliant show.  Columbo alternated weeks with McCloud, Kolchack (the Night Stalker?), and one other IIRC. Columbo was the shining star of the group.  All that back in the 70's IIRC.

But Hill Street Blues was 80's and my ultimate favorite series in the 80's.   Bochco was ahead of his time and that show really changed police dramas forever.   

Not a James Garner fan.    And Telly Savales was fantastic as Kojak... but the show itself was meh.  Telly was friends with my wife's family/father's side and she met him a few times growing up.  She says he was always as sweet as could be to everyone.  Wish I met him!

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Loved Columbo on those Thursday nights once every 3 (or 4) weeks as it alternated with a bunch of other shows.  THursday night was usually baby-sitter night in my home so the TV was on.   My favorite two episodes were when he nailed Dick Van Dyke, once as a photographer and the other as a cardiac surgeon, several years apart, for murdering their respective wives or lovers.  Loved the way he frustrated the hell out of his suspects.  Brilliant show.  Columbo alternated weeks with McCloud, Kolchack (the Night Stalker?), and one other IIRC. Columbo was the shining star of the group.  All that back in the 70's IIRC.

But Hill Street Blues was 80's and my ultimate favorite series in the 80's.   Bochco was ahead of his time and that show really changed police dramas forever.   

Not a James Garner fan.    And Telly Savales was fantastic as Kojak... but the show itself was meh.  Telly was friends with my wife's family/father's side and she met him a few times growing up.  She says he was always as sweet as could be to everyone.  Wish I met him!

Kojack rules

20 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Watched episode 7 ("Driftmark") of House of the Dragon last night.   Started off a bit slow, but the last two thirds was fantastic and exciting.   Interesting tension dynamic all around.   And please writers, keep finding ways to get the dragons on screen.

Very well done, though very dark and hard to see at times.

Loved the tension created and how the multiple story lines are starting to develop, which I think is what made GOT so brilliant and the most baller moment so far (even more so than Dameon caring half the body) was when the boy was like "I lost an eye but I gained a dragon".  Feel like that little dude is going to have a ridiculously cool story arc considering the first time we saw him he was being bullied.

I know she's the Queen but did it feel off like in overall world of the "realm" that she was able to attack the heir to throne and face no consequences?  That felt off for me for some reason.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Loved the tension created and how the multiple story lines are starting to develop, which I think is what made GOT so brilliant and the most baller moment so far (even more so than Dameon caring half the body) was when the boy was like "I lost an eye but I gained a dragon".  Feel like that little dude is going to have a ridiculously cool story arc considering the first time we saw him he was being bullied.

I know she's the Queen but did it feel off like in overall world of the "realm" that she was able to attack the heir to throne and face no consequences?  That felt off for me for some reason.

Yeah, we all commented on how so many of the sequences were way too dark.   Odd choice by the director.

I thought the "cat fight" was off, too.  I expected more of a reaction from the king as well.  My main objection is how demure they have made Rhaenyra when dealing with the Queen and others.  I keep waiting for her to find her mojo.  I want her to become more of a powerful  Targaryen like Khaleesi.   Maybe that's on the way.

13 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Yeah I noticed this as well when I watched the episode last week and saw many comments online about how people were reminded of The Long Night episode from GoT. Honestly after years of squinting in movies, tv shows, and video games I am VERY OK with stylistic blue lighting to let you know that it's supposed to be dark as opposed to actually making my screen ******* black for X amount of boring minutes. 

13 hours ago, JiFapono said:

She is the reigning queen. Yes Rhynera is the heir but they are all on more or less even footing except for Viserys who is a sort of "first among equals". He views it as a family fight while everyone looking in is like " Holy sh*t the queen just cut the princess wtf!??!". It further shows that Viserys prefers not to take sides unless forced and in this case he DID take a side, Rhynera's, and the consequence was that Alicent went a little crazy for a min.

12 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Yeah, we all commented on how so many of the sequences were way too dark.   Odd choice by the director.

I thought the "cat fight" was off, too.  I expected more of a reaction from the king as well.  My main objection is how demure they have made Rhaenyra when dealing with the Queen and others.  I keep waiting for her to find her mojo.  I want her to become more of a powerful  Targaryen like Khaleesi.   Maybe that's on the way.

Personally I don't think we're going to see that. Rhynera is a failure and that's part of the point of the story. She is a bad heir and Viserys made a HUGE mistake banishing Daemon and naming Rhynera the heir. She has never really had any serious interest in ruling or being a good leader for her family or for the realm. The best thing she could have ever done would have been to just run off with Cristin Cole. Now everyone is going to have to suffer because of her bad decision after bad decision. 

• Upvote 2

Wow last nights HOTD. Wow. Game of Thrones often left me tense, speechless, sometimes even a little angry on behalf of one character or another. It never really moved me or had me tearing up. House of the Dragon...man I just was not expecting that from this show at all. Anyone who's ever had a loved one who's been seriously ill will feel this one I think.

• Upvote 2

On 10/9/2022 at 10:06 PM, Nolder said:

Yeah I noticed this as well when I watched the episode last week and saw many comments online about how people were reminded of The Long Night episode from GoT. Honestly after years of squinting in movies, tv shows, and video games I am VERY OK with stylistic blue lighting to let you know that it's supposed to be dark as opposed to actually making my screen ******* black for X amount of boring minutes. 

She is the reigning queen. Yes Rhynera is the heir but they are all on more or less even footing except for Viserys who is a sort of "first among equals". He views it as a family fight while everyone looking in is like " Holy sh*t the queen just cut the princess wtf!??!". It further shows that Viserys prefers not to take sides unless forced and in this case he DID take a side, Rhynera's, and the consequence was that Alicent went a little crazy for a min.

Personally I don't think we're going to see that. Rhynera is a failure and that's part of the point of the story. She is a bad heir and Viserys made a HUGE mistake banishing Daemon and naming Rhynera the heir. She has never really had any serious interest in ruling or being a good leader for her family or for the realm. The best thing she could have ever done would have been to just run off with Cristin Cole. Now everyone is going to have to suffer because of her bad decision after bad decision. 

I think you are spot on except for this.  I think she had interest in being the ruler.  Her plan with Daemon to strengthen her hold/claim by marrying him show sinterest in being the ruler.  Plus, her comments to Laenor about having his kids would have made her claim easier shows interest as well.  At least more so than Aegon.  ??

13 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

I think you are spot on except for this.  I think she had interest in being the ruler.  Her plan with Daemon to strengthen her hold/claim by marrying him show sinterest in being the ruler.  Plus, her comments to Laenor about having his kids would have made her claim easier shows interest as well.  At least more so than Aegon.  ??

I think when she was young she just kind of expected it. She's the first born and then Daemon was disinherited, of course she's the natural heir. It was barely even a matter of wanting it she felt like it was naturally hers so when her father finally named her heir she was like "yeah, duh, of course". But she never took the matter of actually BEING the heir and future ruler seriously. She refused marriage until forced into it, continually engaged in risky behavior, and has no interest in this Song of Ice and Fire her father tells her about despite the fact that it falls on her shoulders to safeguard HUMANITY. Contrast this with her son who spends time learning the valeryion language because he is technically next in line (bastard-ness aside) or Aemond who at the very least secured a dragon and is learning to fight because he sees war in the future. Rhynera has been petulant and lax all through her youth.

When she got older she finally begins to realize how precarious her position actually is. As was once famously said in Game of Thrones "Power is power." Rhynera may be the heir but that could (legitimately) be seized from her and if she herself isn't executed her sons surely would be. So what does she do? Instead of, perhaps, admitting her faults and asking her father to legitimize her bastards or maybe abdicate the throne she runs to daddy to tell everyone to stop saying the obvious and when that's not enough she begs her uncle for protection.

What I'm trying to say is I think there is a difference in having interest in being a ruler and just assuming it's yours by right and we see that in the way Rhynera acts that she doesn't take it as a serious task until her sons and maybe her own life are threatened.

On 10/10/2022 at 8:29 PM, Nolder said:

Wow last nights HOTD. Wow. Game of Thrones often left me tense, speechless, sometimes even a little angry on behalf of one character or another. It never really moved me or had me tearing up. House of the Dragon...man I just was not expecting that from this show at all. Anyone who's ever had a loved one who's been seriously ill will feel this one I think.

Paddy Considine is an acting master.  Incredible work in this episode and throughout the series.  

And for crissakes, put some damn cushions, or other padding, on that throne of swords. lol

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Nolder said:

I think when she was young she just kind of expected it. She's the first born and then Daemon was disinherited, of course she's the natural heir. It was barely even a matter of wanting it she felt like it was naturally hers so when her father finally named her heir she was like "yeah, duh, of course". But she never took the matter of actually BEING the heir and future ruler seriously. She refused marriage until forced into it, continually engaged in risky behavior, and has no interest in this Song of Ice and Fire her father tells her about despite the fact that it falls on her shoulders to safeguard HUMANITY. Contrast this with her son who spends time learning the valeryion language because he is technically next in line (bastard-ness aside) or Aemond who at the very least secured a dragon and is learning to fight because he sees war in the future. Rhynera has been petulant and lax all through her youth.

When she got older she finally begins to realize how precarious her position actually is. As was once famously said in Game of Thrones "Power is power." Rhynera may be the heir but that could (legitimately) be seized from her and if she herself isn't executed her sons surely would be. So what does she do? Instead of, perhaps, admitting her faults and asking her father to legitimize her bastards or maybe abdicate the throne she runs to daddy to tell everyone to stop saying the obvious and when that's not enough she begs her uncle for protection.

What I'm trying to say is I think there is a difference in having interest in being a ruler and just assuming it's yours by right and we see that in the way Rhynera acts that she doesn't take it as a serious task until her sons and maybe her own life are threatened.

I agree she had a lot of ambilivance towards the position. 

I think Rhynera and Alicent followed similar paths.  Thrust into a situation they did not want by their fathers.  What Otto said to Alicent at the end of episode 7 could be applied to Rhynera.

9 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

I agree she had a lot of ambilivance towards the position. 

I think Rhynera and Alicent followed similar paths.  Thrust into a situation they did not want by their fathers.  What Otto said to Alicent at the end of episode 7 could be applied to Rhynera.

Yeah, as much as I dislike the man, that's GRRM and credit where it's due he's a brilliant writer. It also has an echo of the Lannisters and how the children were pushed one way or another by Tywin. There are definitely a lot of parallels and that is by design.

22 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Paddy Considine is an acting master.  Incredible work in this episode and throughout the series.  

And for crissakes, put some damn cushions, or other padding, on that throne of swords. lol

Was close to tears with the scene of him seeing his family seemingly at peace at dinner. Just a heart-breaking performance. 

It's an unbelievable portrayal and the writers deserve a ton of credit. He's such a nothing character in the source material and GRRM has said himself that this Viserys better than what he'd came up with. The writing and Considine's performance have really made what could have been a boring slog of a season so compelling and tragic. 

Feels like the sh*t will really hit the fan next episode. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Was close to tears with the scene of him seeing his family seemingly at peace at dinner. Just a heart-breaking performance. 

It's an unbelievable portrayal and the writers deserve a ton of credit. He's such a nothing character in the source material and GRRM has said himself that this Viserys better than what he'd came up with. The writing and Considine's performance have really made what could have been a boring slog of a season so compelling and tragic. 

Feels like the sh*t will really hit the fan next episode. 

The struggle between King and Father, Husband, etc has been on full display since the start of the show, to give that stage for a send off like that, was just brilliant.  Such a great job of making you feel pity and almost forces you to have the same desire, knowing it would suck for the story but because it was such an emotional performance, you want it for him but know it will never happen.  Which I think ultimately what made those scenes so compelling.

My assumption is pure chaos.  I assume in the final scene, that Viserys didnt realize that was Alicent and he thought it was his daughter?  So now, Alicent thinks that the King just requested that Aegon takes the thrown?  Or at least, that's how I interpreted it, which I think leads to the epic family battle, or civil war, whatever.  That said, this is where I think I got a little lost, did their son have a vision or a dream? and I just dont remember it?  They kept referencing it, so I assume so.  Which then leads me back to GOT, wasnt Jon Snow's real name Aegon Targaryan?   So, once again, who the F' is "the prince that was promised" - did it ultimately end up being Snow?  lol Or Ayra?   Or Dany?  lol   And if I'm not mistaken, doesnt this Aegon become "the Conqueror"  - I wonder if that's some foreshadowing.

Anywho, Dameon is awesome and already one of my favorite all time characters.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I saw a theory online that really flips that scene on its head. If you rewatch it the only time you see people laughing and smiling is from Vesarys perspective. When the camera shifts you'll see things like Rhynera looking apprehensively across the table or Alicent quietly staring at her plate. All the happiness might just be happening in Vesarys head. Some people think a clue is that Otto of all people is laughing and smiling and that is very out of character given the situation. 

A counterpoint to that theory is that it DID happen because at the end Rhynera and Alicent seem to show genuine concern for one another. So idk I think it's a really good theory but that throws me off.

6 hours ago, JiFapono said:

My assumption is pure chaos.  I assume in the final scene, that Viserys didnt realize that was Alicent and he thought it was his daughter?  So now, Alicent thinks that the King just requested that Aegon takes the thrown?  Or at least, that's how I interpreted it, which I think leads to the epic family battle, or civil war, whatever.  That said, this is where I think I got a little lost, did their son have a vision or a dream? and I just dont remember it?  They kept referencing it, so I assume so.  Which then leads me back to GOT, wasnt Jon Snow's real name Aegon Targaryan?   So, once again, who the F' is "the prince that was promised" - did it ultimately end up being Snow?  lol Or Ayra?   Or Dany?  lol   And if I'm not mistaken, doesnt this Aegon become "the Conqueror"  - I wonder if that's some foreshadowing.

You're way off and tbh I don't blame you. There's like 999999 Aegons. First of all there's Aegon The Conqueror who came from Valeria after "The Doom" destroyed it. Part of the reason he conquered Westeros is because he had a vision of The Long Night and the white walkers and he wanted humanity united. He called this the Song of Ice and Fire.

Visarys is carrying on a conversation he had with Rhynera earlier in the episode and it's a conversation they've had all season about the Song of Ice and Fire. He is talking about Aegon The Conqueror but Alicent thinks he says something about her son Aegon taking the throne.

Part of the reason you're confused about Jon Snow and Danny and Arya is none of that happened in the books yet and it's very unlikely anything even similar will occur. There is no Night King in the books. In the books Jon Snow is still lying on the ground dead after being murdered. It's been ~4100 days since Dance With Dragons came out and I think GRRM might have just started Winds of Winter so maybe we'll have an update by 2030. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Nolder said:

I saw a theory online that really flips that scene on its head. If you rewatch it the only time you see people laughing and smiling is from Vesarys perspective. When the camera shifts you'll see things like Rhynera looking apprehensively across the table or Alicent quietly staring at her plate. All the happiness might just be happening in Vesarys head. Some people think a clue is that Otto of all people is laughing and smiling and that is very out of character given the situation. 

A counterpoint to that theory is that it DID happen because at the end Rhynera and Alicent seem to show genuine concern for one another. So idk I think it's a really good theory but that throws me off.

You're way off and tbh I don't blame you. There's like 999999 Aegons. First of all there's Aegon The Conqueror who came from Valeria after "The Doom" destroyed it. Part of the reason he conquered Westeros is because he had a vision of The Long Night and the white walkers and he wanted humanity united. He called this the Song of Ice and Fire.

Visarys is carrying on a conversation he had with Rhynera earlier in the episode and it's a conversation they've had all season about the Song of Ice and Fire. He is talking about Aegon The Conqueror but Alicent thinks he says something about her son Aegon taking the throne.

Part of the reason you're confused about Jon Snow and Danny and Arya is none of that happened in the books yet and it's very unlikely anything even similar will occur. There is no Night King in the books. In the books Jon Snow is still lying on the ground dead after being murdered. It's been ~4100 days since Dance With Dragons came out and I think GRRM might have just started Winds of Winter so maybe we'll have an update by 2030. 

Go it, that's right.  It was a secret that he passed down.  Makes sense now.  Thanks! 

• Upvote 1

Last nights HOTD was...ok. A very firm ok. Not bad, not good or amazing. Just ok. And I want to stress that ok is fine not every episode has to be a masterpiece. It might be the worst episode of the season and if their worst episode is just ok well I'd say it's been a great ride.

With all that said I think there was some lazy writing going on. I think it might have been HBO wanting some girl power messaging mixed with the normal condensing of adapting a novel to television. There were things that HAD to happen this episode but they were forced and at times didn't really make sense. GRRM said he wanted 12 or 13 episodes this season to really do the story right so that's probably part of it.

On 10/17/2022 at 4:16 AM, Nolder said:

Last nights HOTD was...ok. A very firm ok. Not bad, not good or amazing. Just ok. And I want to stress that ok is fine not every episode has to be a masterpiece. It might be the worst episode of the season and if their worst episode is just ok well I'd say it's been a great ride.

With all that said I think there was some lazy writing going on. I think it might have been HBO wanting some girl power messaging mixed with the normal condensing of adapting a novel to television. There were things that HAD to happen this episode but they were forced and at times didn't really make sense. GRRM said he wanted 12 or 13 episodes this season to really do the story right so that's probably part of it.

It is not like condensing a GOT season hasn't been a disaster before.  

Continued to watch the final episodes of Walking Dead for morbid curiosity.  Spent the last episode wishing Eugene would die.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Continued to watch the final episodes of Walking Dead for morbid curiosity.  Spent the last episode wishing Eugene would die.

The Mrs. had it on. Why, post apocalypse, would quirks and ticks of people become so exaggerated? Wouldn't that stuff fall away? And since food is so scarce, why would a fat bastard like Eugene (fake corn pone accent) stay ridiculously fat? 

At some point walkers have to stop moving. How is it dead things have perpetual motion? Makes no sense. But we are to believe that they stay in motion forever and nothing stops them short of smashing their grey matter. And now -how many year into this?- they get more cognition and motor skills. 

Same plot, over and over; there's a bad group fighting the core heroic group. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Bugg said:

The Mrs. had it on. Why, post apocalypse, would quirks and ticks of people become so exaggerated? Wouldn't that stuff fall away? And since food is so scarce, why would a fat bastard like Eugene (fake corn pone accent) stay ridiculously fat? 

At some point walkers have to stop moving. How is it dead things have perpetual motion? Makes no sense. But we are to believe that they stay in motion forever and nothing stops them short of smashing their grey matter. And now -how many year into this?- they get more cognition and motor skills. 

Same plot, over and over; there's a bad group fighting the core heroic group. 

Exactly.  

It is easy to suspend disbelief for a period, but has been beating the same horse with far less interesting characters for years,

• Upvote 2

On 10/17/2022 at 8:55 AM, Irish Jet said:

That ending really ruined the episode imo. Genuine character assassination of Rhaenys. 

So disappointed they did that, just a silly scene that not only took away from her character but really devalued the conflict.  Like, it's very hard to take it serious knowing it could have been ended with a blink of an eye.  Like, she was too righteous to kill a mother and her children in that moment but she's cool w/  starting a long war that will certainly kill many more people and ultimately, the family she just let live?  

ugh, ironically and about to respond to it but this is the type of sh*t that killed Walking Dead as a series.  Really hope they can rope me back in with a great finale because that episode was just, idk, really dumb in so many ways.

On 10/19/2022 at 8:24 AM, PFSIKH said:

As said above, very Walking Dead-ish of the GOT writers w/ that last episode and like you, because I've watched some of it and been so invested, I have kept up with this series and what a freakin fall from grace, they've reached day time drama type of obnoxiousness and of all the characters to keep around this long and make a focal point....Eugene?  Just unreal bad, but Im going to watch because I've made it this long.

• Upvote 2

After a bunch of glowing reviews/recoomedations, we are three episodes into Apple+'s Bad Sisters.  So far, I don't really get all the allure and effusive praise.  It's an okay series.   Nothing all that special about it (although JP is one of the most despicable pricks ever).   A tad silly and trite in spots.  I'm hoping the story gets better and more interesting.

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

I just started watching Dahmer last night. Creepy and terrifying without being as gory as one might expect.

The Gacy episode scared the crap of me.  

I was living in Bensonville, IL (just on the other side of the airport 15 minutes away) when he was putting kids in his crawl space. 

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

Holy sh!t! Did you ever see him around?

No, I was only 6 and didn't even know he was killing until after he was caught.

He was our bogeyman for the rest of our childhood though. 

The episode (I think it's the last one) is really scary and shows just what kind of terror he put those kid through. 

20 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

No, I was only 6 and didn't even know he was killing until after he was caught.

He was our bogeyman for the rest of our childhood though. 

The episode (I think it's the last one) is really scary and shows just what kind of terror he put those kid through. 

Wait, I haven’t finished Dahmer, are you saying the Dahmer series has a Gacy episode?

On 10/20/2022 at 7:03 AM, JiFapono said:

So disappointed they did that, just a silly scene that not only took away from her character but really devalued the conflict.  Like, it's very hard to take it serious knowing it could have been ended with a blink of an eye.  Like, she was too righteous to kill a mother and her children in that moment but she's cool w/  starting a long war that will certainly kill many more people and ultimately, the family she just let live?  

Not to mention bursting out of the ground like that probably killed a good 1,000-1,500 people easy in that very moment. 

Definitely the worst episode of the season easy.

On 10/22/2022 at 2:04 PM, maury77 said:

Wait, I haven’t finished Dahmer, are you saying the Dahmer series has a Gacy episode?

Did they ever have any contact IRL?

I know Gacy had contact with another Serial Killer who worked for him briefly but I never heard about any Gacy/Dahmer connection.

House of the Dragon ended on a mostly flat note IMHO. Episode 10 was better than 9 but not as good as the rest of the season. I think they kind of wasted the first 20 minutes of the episode. Like, yeah, I get it, they wanted to echo the first episode and all that. Writers think they're soooo clever. Really it just took away from the story we are all kind of dying to see at this point. After that it was good with a couple VERY cool moments. At the end I am just excited to get to season 2 so job well done on their part. It really feels like they looked at how Game of Thrones ended and said "We HAVE to nail this". Again job well done, but we have 3 seasons to go for them to mess up. We'll see.

2 hours ago, Nolder said:

House of the Dragon ended on a mostly flat note IMHO. Episode 10 was better than 9 but not as good as the rest of the season. I think they kind of wasted the first 20 minutes of the episode. Like, yeah, I get it, they wanted to echo the first episode and all that. Writers think they're soooo clever. Really it just took away from the story we are all kind of dying to see at this point. After that it was good with a couple VERY cool moments. At the end I am just excited to get to season 2 so job well done on their part. It really feels like they looked at how Game of Thrones ended and said "We HAVE to nail this". Again job well done, but we have 3 seasons to go for them to mess up. We'll see.

I do not know how I feel about it.

On the one hand, I looked at my phone and there were 15 minutes left.   I was surprised it had actually gripped me, but it had not really done anything.  By comparison, I do that with the Walking Dead, I am thinking when will this be over.  Then the last 15 minutes, IMHO, were good.  Then ta da...Black Queen. 

• Upvote 1