TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

So out of the gate, I really was enjoying Wednesday. Jenna Ortega really is terrific. I was excited to be enjoying something Burton again. But is it me, or does it start to get too convoluted as it goes on? Too many stories and all the characters seem to talk extremely fast? Or is that just me being old?

On 12/7/2022 at 12:11 PM, IndianaJet said:

January 15th release date.

Looking forward to this ALOT:

Terrible casting decisions imo. Nothing against the actors but they don't seem to fit the roles especially of Joel and Ellie. I'll check it out but my expectations for this are in the dirt.

Terrible casting decisions imo. Nothing against the actors but they don't seem to fit the roles especially of Joel and Ellie. I'll check it out but my expectations for this are in the dirt.
Yep .. Oberon as a southern boy doesn't really fit.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Nolder said:

Good point, but Oberon is awesome and can probably pull anything off and do we really know anything about the girl as an actress? ...

25 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Good point, but Oberon is awesome and can probably pull anything off and do we really know anything about the girl as an actress? ...

I just don't see her as Ellie. It's nothing to do with their abilities to act they just don't look like the characters they're supposed to be. That's the problem with adaptations I guess and I've always been more of a purist than most with just a few exceptions.

I watched Andor. 

So I have to say my expectations coming into this were about as low as they could be, just so you all know. I hated the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy, Boba Fett sucked, and all the newest Marvel movies and shows have been crap as well. So in that context I watched Andor because I had seen a lot of people say it was amazing while others said it was slow and boring and barely Star Wars.

So for my part I liked it. I would say the show is above average, not Breaking Bad or Pre Season 5 Game of Thrones but still very good. I thought the acting was great it didn't feel preachy like a lot of Disney stuff lately and the effects and costumes were alright as well. BUT what people said about it is sort of correct. Yes it is a slow burn, especially the first 3-5 episodes, and if that's not your style you might be pretty bored. It's also not as Star Wars-y as some of the other shows and movies coming out. You still get some TIE fighters here and there and some droids and aliens but the show doesn't rely too heavily on the established universe (although you get some great Coruscant and Mon Mothma stuff). At times it is completely possible to forget you're watching a Star Wars show. I can see that as legitimate criticism however I was still able to enjoy it. In the end I would say if you're curious like I was just check it out and make up your own mind.

• Upvote 2

On 12/12/2022 at 7:50 AM, Nolder said:

I watched Andor. 

So I have to say my expectations coming into this were about as low as they could be, just so you all know. I hated the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy, Boba Fett sucked, and all the newest Marvel movies and shows have been crap as well. So in that context I watched Andor because I had seen a lot of people say it was amazing while others said it was slow and boring and barely Star Wars.

So for my part I liked it. I would say the show is above average, not Breaking Bad or Pre Season 5 Game of Thrones but still very good. I thought the acting was great it didn't feel preachy like a lot of Disney stuff lately and the effects and costumes were alright as well. BUT what people said about it is sort of correct. Yes it is a slow burn, especially the first 3-5 episodes, and if that's not your style you might be pretty bored. It's also not as Star Wars-y as some of the other shows and movies coming out. You still get some TIE fighters here and there and some droids and aliens but the show doesn't rely too heavily on the established universe (although you get some great Coruscant and Mon Mothma stuff). At times it is completely possible to forget you're watching a Star Wars show. I can see that as legitimate criticism however I was still able to enjoy it. In the end I would say if you're curious like I was just check it out and make up your own mind.

I would agree.  I wish Marvel would follow the same general concept that Andor had.  12 episodes.  Each episode going 40 to 50 minutes.  First two were under 40 and the last one was nearly an hour.  It gives the show runners time to develop the storyline.  Far from perfect, but it is better than the 6 episode format Marvel is in love with.  I want to see Secret Invasion with Samuel Jackson, but I am worried it is in the six episode format.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

I would agree.  I wish Marvel would follow the same general concept that Andor had.  12 episodes.  Each episode going 40 to 50 minutes.  First two were under 40 and the last one was nearly an hour.  It gives the show runners time to develop the storyline.  Far from perfect, but it is better than the 6 episode format Marvel is in love with.  I want to see Secret Invasion with Samuel Jackson, but I am worried it is in the six episode format.

Yeah I don't like the 6 episode format either unless you have a very well planned mini series. Even 8 episodes makes a big difference than 6 imo such as in Amazons Jack Ryan or the first two seasons of Netflix's The Last Kingdom. I think 10 is probably ideal but you can do a lot with 8 that you just can't fit in with 6.

On 12/31/2022 at 2:00 PM, Nolder said:

Jack Ryan season 3 was solid.

I concur.

Burn Notice is a funny show.  I never sat down and watched.  I think it was before DVR times, but I would always watch.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

I concur.

Burn Notice is a funny show.  I never sat down and watched.  I think it was before DVR times, but I would always watch.  

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

I used to really like burn notice.

And, I always love Bruce Campbell.

Ok I’ll see if I can find season 1 floating around somewhere. I wonder if any of the streaming platforms have it…

19 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

I concur.

What type of humor? What would you compare to? I need a funny show, particularly in the doldrums of winter (and having just endured another Jets season).

Watched a pair of episodes from Kaleidescope, the new series on Netflix with Giancarlo Esposito (Gus Fring).  

I believe the 8 episodes are randomized order because I went back to rewatch part of the first one I watched, it was a different episode.

How are we going to talk about it if we're all watching different episodes?

Anyway, I really like it.  In fact, it's one of the better shows I've seen on Netflix in quite some time.  So far, so good and of course Giancarlo is freaking great as always.  

Anyone watch yet?  There's even a youtube out there that tells people what order to watch the episodes in (not in the youtube below), but that defeats the entire purpose of this thing.  

4 hours ago, JetPotato said:

What type of humor? What would you compare to? I need a funny show, particularly in the doldrums of winter (and having just endured another Jets season).

Poor choice of words. I meant it was not a show I put down as must watch TV.  If I came across it, I always almost watched it.  

The only funny show I Can think of is the one from you above Letterkenney.  

Ok yeah Burn Notice is on Prime with ads. That's fine I think it's the kind of show I'd half watch while browsing the internet anyway and just pay attention when the good stuff is happening. Kind of a slow moment but I think we're going to get a lot of good shows this year.

15 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Just got on The Bear. Legit one of the best shows of the decade. Totally blindsided me.

Watched the whole thing.  Started off well but.... let us know when you get to the end.  Although I always enjoyed Jeremy Allen White as "'Lip" in Shameless, I think he is terribly miscast here.    I have issues with this show, particularly with the plot lines and twist that will make zero sense.  

Clarkson's Farm is getting cancelled, because Jeremy Clarkson was mean to Meghan Markle.

If you never saw Season One (Amazon) it is excellent.  Simultaneously funny, and serious, showing how hard farmers work, how out of control their livelihood is, and how they can do everything perfect, the weather throws them a curve, a piece of equipment fails, and all their hard work is halved.